The Hobbit

Flying Jinko

the_hobbit_movie_wallpaper.jpg

Although I know it maybe a bit early to talk about this movie, it is one of those movies that I can't wait to watch. The Hobbit is an upcoming two part fantasy film directed by Peter Jackson which serves as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and is based on the 1937 novel of the same name by J.R.R Tolkien. The film is to be released in two parts, the first one being The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to be released on 14 December 2012 and the second one being The Hobbit: There and back again to be released on 13 December 2013. Returning actors include Ian Mckellen (Gandalf), Andy Serkins (Gollum), Hugo Weaving (Elrond), Christopher Lee (Saruman), Cate Blanchett (Galadriel), Elijah Woods (Frodo), Ian Holmes (Old Bilbo Baggins) and Orlando Bloom (Legolas). Howard Stone also returns as the film's music composer.

Cast Video

Updates since after the video was uploaded: Orlando Bloom, Ellijah Woods and Cate Blanchet have confirmed to be reprising their roles as Legolas, Frodo and Galadriel respectively.

The Hobbit follows the journey of the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins (uncle of Frodo Baggins, the main protagonist of the Lord of the Rings) who in the company of Gandalf and 13 dwarves goes on a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf kingdom of Erebor, which was conquered by the dragon, Smaug.

Both the films have an estimated budget of 500 million (put together) which exceeds that of the LOTR trilogy put together by around 200 million which leads me to believe that these movies are going to be much more promising than the LOTR.

With such an amazing lore to work on and with Peter Jackson's ingenius direction, Im sure these films won't dissapoint and will set a new standard to what movies are all about.

Peter Jackson himself has started a personal Vlog which enables us to get a sneak peek at the production, sets, and actors. The first video had been released 4 months ago and it truly amazing and very entertaining. I never knew there was so much work involved in making a movie. Here is the video of the first episode.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Episode 8

What do you guys think of these upcoming films? Also if I have missed out
any new info do inform us about it. :)

Trailer: The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey - December 2011

Photos/Snapshots/Posters

Spoiler:

PJ-BH113_CINETE_G_20120509201519.jpg

article-2147590-133082A3000005DC-269_964x636.jpg

article-2147590-13308303000005DC-185_964x581.jpg

article-2147590-1330821F000005DC-636_964x488.jpg

article-2147590-133724E6000005DC-24_964x635.jpg

photo_12557_0.jpg

photo_23320_0.jpg

photo_12558_0.jpg

photo_23327_0-2.jpg

photo_23321_0.jpg

photo_23323_0-2.jpg

photo_23327_0-3.jpg

photo_23327_0-4.jpg

photo_23322_0-2.jpg

photo_23320_0-2.jpg

hobbit_comic_con_poster.jpg

HOBBIT-SCROLL_6000.jpg

hobbit-banner-1.jpg

hobbit-banner-2.jpg

hobbit-banner-3.jpg

hobbit-banner-4.jpg

hobbit-banner-5.jpg

hobbit-banner-6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of LOTR because they're too involved, but I really like The Hobbit. I hope this turns out well.

The highlights of the first episode was Peter Jackson taking us through the sets of LOTR which includes Bilbo's hobbit hole, The Caves of the Misty Mountain, Rivendell and the area where the fellowship of the ring was formed. He also gives us a view of the costume and props department and takes us through till the first day of shooting. Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen also make an appearance.

Here is the second episode of Peter Jackson's vlog.

In this episode, The first block of shooting has been completed and Peter and Andy talks about the hightlights of the first block and gives us some Gollum shooting footage in the misty caves. It is also revealed that Andy will be serving as a second unit director. The episode also shows amazing and beautiful visuals of various Landscapes in New Zealand as Peter and his crew go on a location hunt.

EDIT : For ~Outworld's Goddess~

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I just found the third and possibly final vlog of Peter Jackson for a while. Here is the link.

In this episode we get introduced to the actors who play the 13 dwarves. They are Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin(Father of Gimli from LOTR), Thorin Oakenshield (the leader), Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori and Ori.

Thorin Oakenshiled played by Richard Armitage is one hell of a hot dwarf. :p

Last edited:
The Hobbit: The first chapter book I ever read. I was an ambitious second grader, and it took me like, three months to finish.

Flying Jinko....thank you, so much for those videos, im a HUGE fan of these books and im having such a raging nerdgasm right now i can barely type

This movie is going to be great I think it will be a previous chapter of Lord of the rings
Yup :), it is a prequel to the Lord of the Rings and follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins.

Flying Jinko....thank you, so much for those videos, im a HUGE fan of these books and im having such a raging nerdgasm right now i can barely type
No problem sir :). I too am a fan of all of Tolkien's work and the movies as well. :)

The Hobbit movies is gonna release 2012 year. I am great fan of movie series The Lord Of Rings. I am waiting for the release of this movie, the movie going to be great as previous series.
Yea, the movies are releasing in two parts though, the first one being The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey to be released late 2012 and the second one The Hobbit: There and back again to be released in 2013. :)

And welcome to TRMK :)

Updates:

Swedish actor, Mikael Persbrandt known for playing ''tough guy'' roles talked about his role in the Hobbit, in an interview playing the reclusive and heroic Beorn.

In the hobbit, Beorn is an immense brawny shapshifter and lives in a wooden house in the misty mountains and mirkwood on his own after the orcs killed the rest of his race. Beorn can tranform at will to a bear.

Mikeal described a scene where he Beorn interrogates a wolf and a goblin to verify Gandalf's story. I shall link the video when its up on youtube.:)

For now, here is a video showing who all will be playing various roles in the movies.

Updates since after the video was uploaded: Orlando Bloom, Ellijah Woods and Cate Blanchet have confirmed to be reprising their roles as Legolas, Frodo and Galadriel respectively.

Also updated first post with the new official wallpaper for the first movie.:)

Also just realised some of people who posted in this thread were bots lol. Kinda hard to make out through the phone though, thats y i replied to them.

Last edited:
:_wink: I haven't even watched the LotR movies yet :\
Do watch them! Back to back if possible lol. It is surely the best fantasy epic out there, and I can't recommend it enough!

However, you don't need to know the LOTR story to understand the plot of the hobbit since, the events of the hobbit took place much before the events of lotr.

All you need to know is that a company of 13 dwarfs, 1 hobbit and a wizard go on an adventure to confront a dragon named smaug, who has taken over the home and gold of the dwarfs. Lots of alliances and enemies are made during the journey as well. :p

Update: For those who are interested to know what the Hobbit is about and don't have the book, I have uploaded an audiobook at the bottom of the first post. It has been narrated really well and the background music really meshes well with the narration and puts us in the mood. This abridged version helps us to enjoy the entire story in less than 4 hours! Still I would recommend that you buy or borrow it from a library as it is one of those classics that no reader should ever miss and the experience is something else altogether! Hope you guys enjoy the audiobook! :)

Great news Tolkien fans! Director Peter Jackson has released his 4th production video on the sets of the Hobbit. Here it is :).

Last edited:
I'll see it. I may have lost intereest in LOTR, but seeing this will be kinda nostalgic in a way. Like when I saw fellowship for the first time. I'm sure it will be a good movie.

Yea the trailer ending was very nostalgic indeed, with Gollum's speech. The entire story is split into 2, the first movie releasing in Dec 2012 and the next in Dec 2013 and I think it will be more like fellowship of the ring since its more like an adventure than battles. They may be skirmishes in between and also the final battle between Elves, Dwarves, Men, Goblins, Orcs and Eagles. This I think will surely be the king of battle scenes ever made. :p