Smoke Thread - "Where There is Smoke, There is Fire!"

I am struggling to match up with rush down characters, I can get a smoke cloud combo starter every other match but struggle to land other combo starter as they are slower than my opponents fast frame pokes. Any suggestions?

I am struggling to match up with rush down characters, I can get a smoke cloud combo starter every other match but struggle to land other combo starter as they are slower than my opponents fast frame pokes. Any suggestions?

Master the smoke combo that starts with an overhead "axe" punch, kick and smoke bomb. After that it's just practicing. Try to use smoke forward and immediately hit them with the overhead to start a combo. Against rushdowns like Cage, you just have to use the ex vibration mode smartly, and jump a lot to get away.

Smoke is one of my favorite characters in MK9. One of the main reasons is because they decided to make him human again. Not to mention he has a very sleek and badass look.

Smoke is definitely a fun character, and I more or less main Smoke most of the time. I still haven't really gotten too many huge combos done with him (entirely my fault there), but he's fun to play. Plus, his character design is kick-butt. Now that he's human in the reboot, he kind of reminds me a little of Jack Raiden from MGS2/MGS4. :D

Not sure if you guys know this or not,
But Smoke has a glitch.

Or at least, a very amusing (to me) transition between moves in this corner combo.

Jump in punch (I prefer 2), so Ji+2, 2, Enhanced Smoke puff (d,b 2) J+2 [Just jump Up and 2] then enhanced teleport (d,b 4)

The transistion happens after J2, and enhanced teleport.
Sorry if has already been posted, but try it for yourself and see what happens :laugh:
It's kinda tricky after you do the jump in 2, then 2, smoke puff (I have a hard time with it going into uppercut :cry: )

This combo alone is like 28%.

Also, found a way to do it easier if your having problems with Ji+2,2,db2 ; is just start with enhanced smoke cloud instead :)

I must also add the enhanced teleport must be done IMMEDIATELY after the Jump punch

The reset is a lot easier then I would have imagined. Here is my highest corner combo in my first day of practice:

3d12 NJP 32 32 32 EX smoke bomb(if done correctly you should see 36% on your screen, but the combo is still going) NJP 32 32 32. This is 36% and 36% which leads to a whopping 72% damage combo.

I think I found my new secondary

The reset is a lot easier then I would have imagined. Here is my highest corner combo in my first day of practice:

3d12 NJP 32 32 32 EX smoke bomb(if done correctly you should see 36% on your screen, but the combo is still going) NJP 32 32 32. This is 36% and 36% which leads to a whopping 72% damage combo.

I think I found my new secondary

Is that practice mode with the opponent set to block? If they're not blocking it's gonna hit.

Hello there. I just have a few newbish questions about Smoke. Is is "on fire" move worth using at any time instead of the "combustion" move?

Both are small combos that send you opponent in the air but the combustion one seems to be better then the on fire one in every way.

His combustion move, on the second hit is a overhead to prevent your opponent from blocking low and it does more damage than On fire, to be honest his On fire move is more convenient, good smoke players mix it up with a D+1 after combustion or either a NJP because after the combustion string he's at advantage. If they guess wrong a try to cross over your D+1 and you NJP you have a free combo =D

I practed with Smoke and Scorpion and mannged to get some nice 8 hit combos going on; I thought I was starting to get good, but then I look up some combos on youtube and saw combos like the one in the post just above my comment and I was like :O I got nothing.

Also I'm a bit of a noob here I'm not sure what D+1 or NJP means

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I'm a bit of a noob here I'm not sure what D+1 or NJP means

NJP: Neutral Jump punch, if you're standing still and hold up and press Square or either Triangle.

D+1: Having the character in the crouching position and pressing Square.

1= X/Square

2= Y/Triangle

3= X/A

4= B/ Circle

They're universal inputs so PS3 and Xbox players can translate gameplay talk.

Some more game terms you might come accross

Reset: There are 2 kinds. Non-escapable kind, and one that leaves the opponent standing at disadvantage allowing the offense another attempt to break your defense. Both of them translate to trying to connect two combos together(reset= The damage scaler), either guaranteed or leaving your opponent with little options which could lead to them eating another combo after just eating one.

For instance.

Cyrax combo resets are unescapable. Meaning if he lands his reset, You have no choice but to get hit by it.

On the other hand you might run into a kabal or Barakka that knee you as you fall, thus leaving you standing RIGHT infront of them at a disadvantage. This gives them another round of guessing how to break your defense for free until you guess right. If THEY guess right they can end their combo with a knee again to leave you standing. Note: they cut their combo short of damage just to keep this positional advantage which is smart most of the time.

Another more common reset you'll see is Johnny cages nut punch. playes will use that to end their combos to leave you standing as well.

Cyrax atm I believe is the only character with a in-escapable combo reset.

You also might run into terms like JiP (Jump in Punch)
EX (enhanced special, think Street Fighter)
IaF Instant Air fireball

NJP: Neutral Jump punch, if you're standing still and hold up and press Square or either Triangle.

D+1: Having the character in the crouching position and pressing Square.

1= X/Square

2= Y/Triangle

3= X/A

4= B/ Circle

They're universal inputs so PS3 and Xbox players can translate gameplay talk.

Thanks, but I'm afraid that I've actully chanmgbed the way controls are set up to be more like they were in the olden days. Triangle = front kick, X= back punch and scare = front punch I think.

Some more game terms you might come accross

Reset: There are 2 kinds. Non-escapable kind, and one that leaves the opponent standing at disadvantage allowing the offense another attempt to break your defense. Both of them translate to trying to connect two combos together(reset= The damage scaler), either guaranteed or leaving your opponent with little options which could lead to them eating another combo after just eating one.

For instance.

Cyrax combo resets are unescapable. Meaning if he lands his reset, You have no choice but to get hit by it.

On the other hand you might run into a kabal or Barakka that knee you as you fall, thus leaving you standing RIGHT infront of them at a disadvantage. This gives them another round of guessing how to break your defense for free until you guess right. If THEY guess right they can end their combo with a knee again to leave you standing. Note: they cut their combo short of damage just to keep this positional advantage which is smart most of the time.

Another more common reset you'll see is Johnny cages nut punch. playes will use that to end their combos to leave you standing as well.

Cyrax atm I believe is the only character with a in-escapable combo reset.

You also might run into terms like JiP (Jump in Punch)
EX (enhanced special, think Street Fighter)
IaF Instant Air fireball

Thanks this is all very helpful information. Is it better to focus on short combos doing more damage or long ones that keep you opnent more helpess. See I never end a combo with an X-ray because X-rays always do more damage on their own.

Seeing this thread again made me smile.

My MK9 main is Sonya but Smoke was one of my other characters. I really liked playing as him but it's sad that most people will look at Smoke players like they look at Scorpion players. Not gonna lie, I was guilty of it as well, just basing it from the Smoke players I played against, lol.

I love fighting a good smoke player, I mean the good ones.. and not the people who smoke bomb all day just to get a combo in, I'm talking about the ones who use all of his tools effectively.

I never realized how good his Smoke forward reset was and his B+3 Reset (I believe that's the right input o-o) were until I tried them online.