Bad Manner Professionals: Good for growing the scene?

Critical-Limit

We've all met douchebag players, and you might wonder what my definition of douchebag is? Well it's that guy that wants to tea-bag you when he barely won the game acting like he dominated you. It's that guy that makes excuses whenever he/she loses. It's that person that ALWAYS gets salty, and refuses to be a good loser.

I bring this up because I remember a couple of douchebag professionals, and I use to try to call them out ect ect.

But believe it or not. A lot of people started to defend this behavior, saying it will help grow the scene. They tell me it makes people want to get even better, just to beat a "bad manner'd seasoned pro." They also tell me the drama is good for drawing attention to the scene.

For example,

IDRA is a Starcraft 2 player. He had a lot of bad rep in his career because of his bad manners. He would lose to something and say "this is ****ing ridiculous." or would RAGE quit a game w/o a "GG" and Starcraft playes take their GG's seriously.

He's not as bad now as he was back then. In fact since then he has done a bit more for the community as a whole.

Point is

Do you guys think Bad manners in E-sports, is good for the scene and brings in views?

Or do you think it makes the scene look immature as a whole and ultimately hurt new players joining in?

Because I don't know if you guys know all that MvC2 drama with darkprince ect. But that kind of stuff personally turns me away. Smack talking in a joke manner is cool with me. Smack talking and literally trying to hurt feelings is lame.

Bad manners = drama
Drama = interest
Interest= better

It's funny to watch but not fun to experience.

Kind of a double-edged sword.

@Shirayuki Mizore:

So you ultimately think it's good for "views" like people watching T.V. aka live streams.

But not good for Growing the actual "scene" which is getting more players to compete.

^^^ video is one of the perspectives I talk about.

I had to change my ways, being salty in general is a bad thing no matter what game your playing. I think it builds up the hype and makes you want to compete more. I felt this way after losing to pooping in winners finals and wanted to face him again sooo bad, but eventually I got over it.

I think I get Shira's point

Say you have this player who's all like, "Yeah b!tch I'm f*cking untouchable!!"
Players see that and they think in the back of their minds, "I can take that guy."

It's like the players want to knock that ****y guy off his high horse to prove that "Gods" can bleed as well
To prove that they get better and take on that player. You know unless the player has the skills to back it up

Well more views attracts more people to compete doesn't it? ;)

Some people don't like that kind of behavior and stop playing the game all together

Don't you post stuff about MK players online who talk trash in KotH rooms? Didn't that turn you away a bit seeing that behavior shown?

Let me tell you this I use to be a Halo 2 Pro player, was in a clan and went to MLG back when I was like 17. I even made it out of pools with my team a few times and let me tell you... Making it out of pools at MLG with as many people there as it there was... Is ridiculously good.

Point is... that game had so much smack talking, and butt hurt everywhere. I literally stopped playing the game for that sole reason(Despite me doing really good). I picked up SSBM and they are 99% really nice people and very sportsman like. Game has been going on for longer than a decade and is still surviving. Could it being a really good community play a role? or is the game just that good?

EDIT: Oh and I may win local tournaments and place real well, but at Big nationals witht he worlds best I'm almost a nobody. A lot of people know me, but I don't make it out of pools at nationals a lot of the times. But I still play... why? because everyone is damn nice.

Some people don't like that kind of behavior and stop playing the game all together

Don't you post stuff about MK players online who talk trash in KotH rooms? Didn't that turn you away a bit seeing that behavior shown?

This. Completely why I dropped MK online. The community is completely ****ed to one another. It's disgusting. In my experience all it does is hurt the community. I don't see how acting like a dumb ass after you lose is appealing to anyone. Whenever I see that it turns me away from the game completely. Like League of Legends. Seeing my friends play it was cool at first, but once they started getting really in to it and getting pissed at each other after matches I didn't wanna bother with it. I don't need to get *****ed at for doing something right/wrong in a game.

Douchebag players being good for the community?
Let me tell you why that's bull shit.
No ones likes the c0cky "Ill beat all y'all asses" guy in the chat.
Respect goes MILES for the MK Kommunity, when people use a teleporting and hellfire spamming Scorpion and sends a "LOL U SUCK NOOB" message afterwards, it makes us all look bad. It doesn't help when you beat him either, you'll get called a spammer and a no life and get challenged to a million rematches. And when he finally beats you, he'll say you suck and won't accept another rematch. Saltiness, that's another bad habit that needs to be kicked RIGHT GODDAMN NOW. If you lost, figure out why you lost and change you patterns!! Jesus Christ, I can't tell you how much hatemail I used to get for simple zoning with Noob Saibot and Ermac's forcelift.
If you see a forcepush coming, BLOCK it and projectile on something, Goddamn. Bad manner pros suck too, it makes them look like f*cking babies. Treat your opponent with respect, it's not hard. Even if you feel like you should have won if you lost, just accept it and move on.

This. Completely why I dropped MK online. The community is completely ****ed to one another. It's disgusting. In my experience all it does is hurt the community. I don't see how acting like a dumb ass after you lose is appealing to anyone. Whenever I see that it turns me away from the game completely. Like League of Legends. Seeing my friends play it was cool at first, but once they started getting really in to it and getting pissed at each other after matches I didn't wanna bother with it. I don't need to get *****ed at for doing something right/wrong in a game.

Yeah I'm sort of the same way. I like seeing good manners in gaming than bad manners. Don't get me wrong bad manners does draw my attention because I always want to see them lose/get owned if possible.

But I am more satisfied watching two dudes do a man hug at grand finals.

Than to see a guy throw his controller at a wall, and talk smack ect ect at grand finals.

EDIT:

Douchebag players being good for the community?
Let me tell you why that's bull shit.
No ones likes the c0cky "Ill beat all y'all asses" guy in the chat.
Respect goes MILES for the MK Kommunity, when people use a teleporting and hellfire spamming Scorpion and sends a "LOL U SUCK NOOB" message afterwards, it makes us all look bad. It doesn't help when you beat him either, you'll get called a spammer and a no life and get challenged to a million rematches. And when he finally beats you, he'll say you suck and won't accept another rematch. Saltiness, that's another bad habit that needs to be kicked RIGHT GODDAMN NOW. If you lost, figure out why you lost and change you patterns!! Jesus Christ, I can't tell you how much hatemail I used to get for simple zoning with Noob Saibot and Ermac's forcelift.
If you see a forcepush coming, BLOCK it and projectile on something, Goddamn. Bad manner pros suck too, it makes them look like f*cking babies. Treat your opponent with respect, it's not hard. Even if you feel like you should have won if you lost, just accept it and move on.

Tabb!!

Question:
DId you really get into MK all that much before playing with cool players *Cough* like myself ;D

And was the experience more fun when we worked together to test things/ learn things. When I helped you get better?

when I played Halo2

Those god damn players hid everything from eachother. If they found some awesome strategy. They wouldn't share it, thus hurting the growth of the game.

In SSBM... Anytime someone is lacking in their game, people will jump in and chime in about frames/data options go into ridiculous detail just so you can get a full understanding.
^^^^

this behavior drew me to SSBM

Oh Critical, I've been playing MK9 since release everyday :cool:
When PSN went down, I was devastated because I was loving online.
Until it came back up, I was doing Challenge tower and arcade ladder err day.
But when it came back up I faced good nice players, spammers, and good salty players, too.

For part two of the question, an undoubted yes. Sharing tips like the ones you gave me and still do is what drives me to play to win instead of playing for just fun (I still have fun, but now I know what I'm doing and winning.) Tips are an insanely great thing to give to fellow players, without them we would all have to learn on our own. TRMK has the best strategy and character guides of all time, and you showed me how to progress through match ups, and what to do and when to do it.

Not all of them, I have met quite a few good people I met playing MK. There are the occasional sore losers and I just shake them off. I got rape by Stryker when I was trying to learn him, and then he offered to teach my his basics online. And he did this when I did not even have a mic, I have met plenty of sincere people in the MK community.

....but on the other hand, plenty of trash talkers, excuses why they lost, because I exploited them, yadda yadda.

I think players/competitors who trash talk and think they're all that are always a turn off. If you can't see the challenge in defeating someone because of their skills alone, trash talk does nothing to improve that desire, and will probably just drive players away. People don't like it in professional athletic sports, so why have it in competitive gaming? Sportsmanship should be universal.

So glad that for the most part people have my back on this lol. I was getting swamped on blizzard boards about this topic a bit back. Barely any supporters on my side lol.

Don't get me wrong Starcraft is a GREAT community. But it's hypocritical to say it's ok for certain people to bad manner because it's good for the scene, but then preach why saying "GG" is ideal.

It's good your commenting on this btw Shirayuki as you're one of few people i know in person that also believes bad manners can increase "the scene"

It really does go both ways. If someone is well known for being a douchebag, people will want to kick his ass online, thus, bringing attention to the scene. At the same time, people look like immature losers.

I love competition and I don't like to lose but I don't get personal about it. I say the F word a few times, maybe punch a pillow, and then move on. To get so mad that you send people messages, insult their families, wish death upon them.....that's just ridiculous and makes you look like a moron.

When I play MK online (which I haven't done in a while, lol), I get a mix of people. I've gotten a lot of GGs and I have gotten a lot of sore losers who sent messages. I don't really care, I just read it, laugh, and continue to play my game. It's satisfying knowing that someone is totally raging in their room because I beat them.

Start at 2:30

Jeff is silent spectre the Green falcon. He's one of the nicest guys in the community speaks very little. and laughs and smirks when you combo him or do something smart.

This guy is so awesome. He's the only professional, that if you accidentally kill yourself in TOURNAMENT WHEN MONEY IS ON THE LINE. He will jump off as well to make it even thus creating the tournament series "Don't go down there Jeff" because he will kill himself to even the playing field if you kill yourself on accident in tournament.

Now that you know how cool Jeff is. This is one of VERY few moments of SSBM RAGE. You can hear his controller being slammed.

Here is another example of behavior that annoys me:

i reckon if you act like a douche online it comes back on you, because people wont want to play you.

in the aussie rooms, there's only a few of us, so you dont wanna piss anyone off and lose a potential kombatant.
so all the dudes in there are super nice and chat on FB and stuff, BUT there's one DOUCHE! who all of us dislike,
who sends abusive messages when ever he loses, and all round just sucks any good fun out of the game.
so now we all have to set up private games to avoid him jumping our KOTHS.

Here is another example of behavior that annoys me:

Wow that's horrible. They're acting like they're running a ****ing gang. Idiots, calm down it's a game. Maybe there is some credence to your theory though. Despite me not knowing the game they played I want to master it and get in the spot light to show that I'm not a ****ing sour dickhead like these asshats.

EDIT : Okay how's about this... There needs to be at least one of these fools. Maybe 2. But I felt like the online MK scene was littered with guys like this, and it completely drove me away.

Last edited:
Wow that's horrible. They're acting like they're running a ****ing gang. Idiots, calm down it's a game. Maybe there is some credence to your theory though. Despite me not knowing the game they played I want to master it and get in the spot light to show that I'm not a ****ing sour dickhead like these asshats.

if it makes you feel any better Clockwork the guy he was making fun of at the beginning.

beat him in a 3,000 dollar money match.