Variation Discussion

Double Ice Backfire is more pure to the MK identity. And besides, if NRS wants to use Sub-Zero as a punching bag in their media, then why did they drop the Double Ice Backfire?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

So basically you're saying that you enjoy freezing yourself during a match just to show your loyalty to MK.

Maybe they dropped it gameplay-wise because it was a dumb consequence that wasn't really fair to the person playing Sub.

If Tarkatan had his way, we'd still be playing MK1. Things change and not all change is bad, you bellend.

Double Ice Backfire is more pure to the MK identity. And besides, if NRS wants to use Sub-Zero as a punching bag in their media, then why did they drop the Double Ice Backfire?

Scorpion uses Sub-Zero as a punching bad because that's Ed's favorite character.
Media =/= gameplay.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Double Ice Backfire was a dumb gameplay mechanic, and it should have been gone in MKII.

Last edited:
Media =/= gameplay, though.
Scorpion uses Sub-Zero as a punching bad because that's Ed's favorite characters.
Apples to oranges.

Double Ice Backfire was a dumb gameplay mechanic, and it should have been gone in MKII.
Then why did it stay for YEARS?

I don't know, but it's a stupid move that punished the user.

That's the equivalent of Scorpion getting punished for throwing out more than 1 spear, and taking damage from it.

Disabling the Ice Clone at point blank range was a FAR bigger travesty than Double Ice Backfire.

Disabling the Ice Clone at point blank range was a FAR bigger travesty than Double Ice Backfire.

You can still do an ice clone close, just not touching close, and I'm fine with that.

You want to talk about a huge travesty, disabling Ground Ice from being combo'ed into is a travesty.
Sure, it was likely done for reset purposes, but I'd take the Ice Double Backfire being gone, any day, VS the Ground Ice being nerfed to hell.

You know how broken it would be in MK9 if you could do a touching ice clone? :rolleyes: Also if a re-freeze would freeze yourself, that would make Sub-Zero even worse because you would have to play a lot more cautiously. Sub-Zero already had a hard time in MK9, don't make it worse just for nostalgia's sake.

Thanks for the video anyways, [MENTION=10998]iViTal[/MENTION] . I've seen it without the captions. I hate those guys though. They obviously don't like MK to begin with,

Double Ice Backfire is more pure to the MK identity.

So after the great improvement of doing away with the double ice backfire, you think we should back step to the useless consequence.. because that's how it was in MK1?

I'm assuming this goes along with the 'tradition is more important than innovation' logic.

I'm also assuming it stayed for years because, not until MK9 where we able to chain specials with combos. The idea probably crossed their minds that freezing yourself during mid combo would be an idiotic consequence.

Last edited:
But then the NRS team would have to restructure every single character's fatality to be applicable to Ferra.

That, and she's super small compared to the rest of the cast..

Just imagine how small her hurt box would be, everyone's normals would just whiff on her making it a pain to play against her when it comes to gameplay. Fvck that shit.

Now that I think about it, this variation thing probably wont work out.
People are just going to go for the style that has the best bnbs.

There are going to be a few niche Totem Kahn players, but most will go for the more damaging Sun God combos.

Until someone shows up with Hellfire, Samurai or Ninjustsu Scorpion variation or ________________ character variation and shuts it down.

I remember people being hyped about Smoke and Scorpion online, and when the Pro FG dudes started using Mileena, Kung Lao, Kabal, Freddy Kensi and Cyrax you couldn't go online without seeing someone picking one of those characters.

Yeah. I don't see NRS pulling off a good enough balance with the variations that there will actually be variety online. It will be just like MK9. Online will go through phases as tech is uncovered and people see others doing well with a certain character's variation. There was a Noob/Sheeva phase, Reptile phase, Mileena phase, etc. but for people like me, who use the majority of characters often, it will hopefully be pretty awesome and a good way to change things up.