Sonya Thread - "Mission Accomplished"

I kind of got the flow of the dive kick combos. but I really dont like using kiss mid-combo. Its the same reason I stopped using Sindel because the timing was so strict...

I hate how they buffed sindels scream but didn't do shyt to sonyas kiss.

but anyways...

does she still have her infinite?
for those of u who don' t kno wat it is, its with
her 3 1 4 string. how its done: whiff 3 1,
connect with 4, cancel 4 into MS, block cancel
out of MS, repeat. the hitstun on 4 ie
MASSIVE and It sets up that infinite. but I was
able to do this before the patch. I haven't
tried it post patch

ahhh! yes I nailed that 41% combo with Sonya.. next thing to learn is to use MS more often for the right situations

nailing it is one thing.

can you do it consistently? I say try doing 10 a day to keep warmed up.

yep I do exactly what you said. Same thing I did with the Kitana Combos.. the kiss is the hardest part, you have to kind of half step+kiss and be close enough to have your dive kick reach the opponent... so awesome!

That chart is SEVERELY outdated, keep that in mind.

Highly doubt it is 3-7 after the patch.

This is a more recent one by Wonder Chef:

Scorpion - 6/4
Sub Zero - 5/5
Reptile - 5/5
Ermac - 5/5
Noob - 5/5
Smoke - 6/4
Rain - Not Sure
Mileena - 5/5
Kitana - 4/6 maybe a little worse.
Jade - 6/4
Skarlet - Not Sure
Sektor - 5/5
Cyrax - 4/6 maybe 4.5/5.5
CSZ - 4.5/5.5
Kenshi - Not Sure, possibly 4.5/5.5
Freddy - **** Freddy
Sindel - 5/5
Jax - 6/4
Johnny - 6/4
Stryker - Not Sure
Liu Kang - 4.5/5.5 maybe 4/6
Lao - 5.5/4.5 maybe 6/4
Kano - 5/5
Nightwolf - 5/5
Kabal - 4/6
Baraka - 6/4
Shang - Not Sure
Quan - Not Sure
Raiden - 6/4
Sheeva - 6/4
Kratos - lololol

As you said: Sonya is a mind trick character.
Yes, that's it's my style.

I was playing as her yesterday and I've had 33 wins a row with a diferent guys, you can swap your style sometimes rush sometimes zone that's make the enemy confuse.

As you said: Sonya is a mind trick character.
Yes, that's it's my style.

I was playing as her yesterday and I've had 33 wins a row with a diferent guys, you can swap your style sometimes rush sometimes zone that's make the enemy confuse.

I wouldn't zone so much with Sonya. she can keep a projectile war with some of the cast, but she definitely excels in her rushdown.

hey, i've been mucking around with MS pressure strings, havnt seen people use 'em much or at all really,
any idea's, tips? do they work?

like 3,db2,3 , kick to knee, or f2,db2,3 quick 2 hit string. whats the advantage like on that knee?

or mind games

3,1,db2,3 and 3,1,db2,4 swapping between the single knee and the double kicks.

block strings, 3,1,2,db2,4 1,1,4,db2,4

i first started using 44,db2,4 but the second 4 doesnt hit mid, so i use 3, or 31, or just 4,to MS 3 and surprisingly f2 hits mid (not medium)

i've also made some sweet combos wit her

my BnB's , i know there's better ones, but these ones i can do consistantly

1,1,4,cartwheel, 1,*1,1,2 db2 (reset to MS) f1 (23% plus the 7% from the low they never block)
1,1,4,cartwheel, b2,1 ex leg grab. (33%
b2,1,cartwheel,f2,2,ex leg grab 38%

my fave one at the moment.
Jip to dive kick to 3,1,2, xray .. 45%

Last edited:
Yeah Zoning is not her forte. She can do it well enough. but she is built overall to be played aggressively

Depends, I prefer zone than rush with her especially against subzero but if I'd play against noob or rayden so I must need rush down them.

Even I knowing that's not good zoning with Sonya.

hey, i've been mucking around with MS pressure strings, havnt seen people use 'em much or at all really,
any idea's, tips? do they work?

like 3,db2,3 , kick to knee, or f2,db2,3 quick 2 hit string. whats the advantage like on that knee?

or mind games

3,1,db2,3 and 3,1,db2,4 swapping between the single knee and the double kicks.

block strings, 3,1,2,db2,4 1,1,4,db2,4

i first started using 44,db2,4 but the second 4 doesnt hit mid, so i use 3, or 31, or just 4,to MS 3 and surprisingly f2 hits mid (not medium)

i've also made some sweet combos wit her

my BnB's , i know there's better ones, but these ones i can do consistantly

1,1,4,cartwheel, 1,*1,1,2 db2 (reset to MS) f1 (23% plus the 7% from the low they never block)
1,1,4,cartwheel, b2,1 ex leg grab. (33%
b2,1,cartwheel,f2,2,ex leg grab 38%

my fave one at the moment.
Jip to dive kick to 3,1,2, xray .. 45%

I can't say that I know that much about Sonya apart from playing around with her in the lab, that said I do use Freddy and I try and incorporate Nightmare stance into his combos.

The thing I find with SOnya and Skarlet, is people pick them up and think they have to do these super long strings to win, and you've put up quite simple combos. I dont mean that in a bad way, I actually mean it in a good way because some people put these maaaaassive combos in Sonya and Skarlet threads, and unless you main these characters, how would anyone be able to do them straight off the bat? Yes, if you can consistantly land those then good for you, but I think you need to start with something viable, especially if you play online. I do feel one day i'll go to either Sonya or Skarlet to learn them as both are potentially the best characters in the game. Their mix ups and rushdowns simply cannot be matched by anyone else.

Good stuff man. Sonya is awesome, bordering on slightly OP!