Smoke Thread - "Where There is Smoke, There is Fire!"

@AedanWolfe - Thing is, Im not even playing online yet, still need to get some points together for the Online Code. Im just trying to practice all-round ready for when I can go online, was just wary of being a Noob in the eyes of players for simply being good with Smoke. Thanks for the answer man :3

Hey buddy, It will be good fun when you get your code. As for using a certain character that people consider nooby, well I say just use who you enjoy playing as. Doesn't really matter what other people think.

Hey buddy, It will be good fun when you get your code. As for using a certain character that people consider nooby, well I say just use who you enjoy playing as. Doesn't really matter what other people think.

ditto.

and now my friend can't stand fighting me lol i learned that EVERYTIME he teleports he jumps, and i always try to anti-air real fast, and it seems to be working.

Hey all, I've recently decided to start playing as smoke.

I tried to use one of the x-ray combos...I don't know if its just me (I'm not good at intricate combos and timing etc) but I couldn't do it :(

So I decided to tweak it a bit to make it a little easier for myself. Now I'm doing X, Triangle, Smoke Bomb, X-ray. Sometimes the timing of the X-ray doesn't go through, or it won't respond @_@.

Any tips to get better at combos with smoke?

Hey all, I've recently decided to start playing as smoke.

I tried to use one of the x-ray combos...I don't know if its just me (I'm not good at intricate combos and timing etc) but I couldn't do it :(

So I decided to tweak it a bit to make it a little easier for myself. Now I'm doing X, Triangle, Smoke Bomb, X-ray. Sometimes the timing of the X-ray doesn't go through, or it won't respond @_@.

Any tips to get better at combos with smoke?

Hey there,

First off let me start by saying instead of X, Triangle (3,2) you could do more damage by instead using X, Down+Square, Triangle (3,D1,2). Wait until they've fallen a bit and then connect the Smoke Bomb.

Now, the important part: WAIT UNTIL YOUR OPPONENT APPEARS IN THE AIR UNTIL YOU DO THE X-RAY. It needs to be about half a second until you use the X-RAY attack and it should connect.

Hope I helped

Hey there,

First off let me start by saying instead of X, Triangle (3,2) you could do more damage by instead using X, Down+Square, Triangle (3,D1,2). Wait until they've fallen a bit and then connect the Smoke Bomb.

Now, the important part: WAIT UNTIL YOUR OPPONENT APPEARS IN THE AIR UNTIL YOU DO THE X-RAY. It needs to be about half a second until you use the X-RAY attack and it should connect.

Hope I helped

Literally Just tried this out, and it works great o-o Only problem is my fingers sometimes slip mid-combo, because I'm excited that I'm doing it right xD But thanks! It did help, alot!

Literally Just tried this out, and it works great o-o Only problem is my fingers sometimes slip mid-combo, because I'm excited that I'm doing it right xD But thanks! It did help, alot!

No problem at all! I'm glad I could help a fellow Smoke user!

As you practice that 3,D1,2 you should be able to eventually juggle it up to 3 times before throwing the Smoke Bomb, netting you about 40-44% damage. It took me about 2 hours of practice, but it's totally worth it.
Keep up the good work!

No problem at all! I'm glad I could help a fellow Smoke user!

As you practice that 3,D1,2 you should be able to eventually juggle it up to 3 times before throwing the Smoke Bomb, netting you about 40-44% damage. It took me about 2 hours of practice, but it's totally worth it.
Keep up the good work!

That is a super flashy combo, but I don't think it should be ever be used if using the X-Ray doesn't guarantee you the victory.
Imho using Smoke is better to save the meter for Ex Moves and breakers...what do you think?

That is a super flashy combo, but I don't think it should be ever be used if using the X-Ray doesn't guarantee you the victory.
Imho using Smoke is better to save the meter for Ex Moves and breakers...what do you think?
Yeah I can agree with you. Haha when I'm playing as Smoke I'm such a meter whore :S can't get enough of it. You'll rarely see me comboing into X-Ray

Decided to take smoke
Out onto the online play tonight. I had a lot of fun owning people. Checked my messages at the end of the night and pretty much were all callin me a pussy and a one trick pony. Am I playing the toon wrong? I watched Tom bradys show when he covered smoke and his only recommendation was to turtle. I still tried to mix it up a little and teleport in. I dunno. winnings winning?

Yesterday I trained 20-30 minutes with Smoke and I discovered a combo which is totally USELESS (adds 1% of damage to his most common combo), and very hard to pull off, but is VERY cool anyway so I'll post it here lol...it is a midscreen combo.

fjp; 3d12; dash; 3d12; dash; 3d12; dash; 21xxsmokebomb; fjpxxteleport (or throw) 16 hits 39%
fjp; 3d12; dash; 3d12; dash; 3d12; dash; 21xxsmokebomb; X-Ray 16 hits 44%

It's really hard to pull off, maybe someone will think it's impossible but I swear, with a little training you will be able to do this.

Decided to take smoke
Out onto the online play tonight. I had a lot of fun owning people. Checked my messages at the end of the night and pretty much were all callin me a pussy and a one trick pony. Am I playing the toon wrong? I watched Tom bradys show when he covered smoke and his only recommendation was to turtle. I still tried to mix it up a little and teleport in. I dunno. winnings winning?

You're perfectly right, a victory is a victory

So I have a question: since the smoke bomb does no damage, what is Smoke supposed to do against people who just block and wait to punish a teleport? I don't think I've ever lost to Smoke, even when the other player is way better than me. I just block everything and wait to punish. I know it's lame but it works. I know you can throw them off with an enhanced teleport, but nobody's going to fall for that twice... Plus going into melee seems kinda risky, usually I can predict when they're getting frustrated and anticipate the jp or smoke towards. Personally I don't play Smoke but I'm curious.

I'm guessing the answer must be somewhere in his enhanced specials... Teleport and Invisibility especially.

So I have a question: since the smoke bomb does no damage, what is Smoke supposed to do against people who just block and wait to punish a teleport? I don't think I've ever lost to Smoke, even when the other player is way better than me. I just block everything and wait to punish. I know it's lame but it works. I know you can throw them off with an enhanced teleport, but nobody's going to fall for that twice... Plus going into melee seems kinda risky, usually I can predict when they're getting frustrated and anticipate the jp or smoke towards. Personally I don't play Smoke but I'm curious.

I'm guessing the answer must be somewhere in his enhanced specials... Teleport and Invisibility especially.

Actually...no.

As a master Smoke player, I don't rely on wasting meter (which is precious) to make my opponent squirm. After a few times of my combo strings being blocked, I'll jump in and fake them out with a throw, or maybe Smoke Towards and then sweep.

These methods aren't used to deal out huge chunks of damage, just to get you on edge so I can make you trip up and eat a combo.

Ah, that makes sense. Still sounds like you're at a disadvantage though if you have to basically rushdown with Smoke. :/

I use the EX teleport almost religiously when I have crouch blocking whores. Its very useful. I think Ive only done X-ray like twice online because im always using my meter.

Are you on PS3? If so I can show just how little of a disadvantage we're at. ;)
Nope, 360 sorry bro :)

Plus I'm willing to bet you'd kick my ass, disadvantage or no :D

Btw it may sound stupid that I never noticed this before but I had a revelation about the Smoke Towards/Away move: it doesn't matter where your opponent is when you use it, it will always travel in the direction of the last directional input. So instead of thinking in terms of back/forward, you should think in terms of left/right when you use it. This may be useful against Raiden's teleport antics throwing off your inputs, I guess. Although dangerous if he supermans you...

Last edited:
Nope, 360 sorry bro :)

Plus I'm willing to bet you'd kick my ass, disadvantage or no :D

Btw it may sound stupid that I never noticed this before but I had a revelation about the Smoke Towards/Away move: it doesn't matter where your opponent is when you use it, it will always travel in the direction of the last directional input. So instead of thinking in terms of back/forward, you should think in terms of left/right when you use it. This may be useful against Raiden's teleport antics throwing off your inputs, I guess. Although dangerous if he supermans you...

Yeah, that is pretty useful. I don't utilize it much unless I REALLY need to get close to my opponent, or if I want to fake them out by Smoke Away-ing towards the corner, which looks really weird and fakes tons of people out.

One more day until otg is gone :(

Sad day for smoke users everywhere. I've been experimenting wit a few new chars.. reptile sz kabal.. but none of them are as fun as smoke. Been playing asmuch ranked as I can before otg is gone.. I kno ill still be a beast wit smoke but certainly not as efficient.