MK HD Kollection

Re: The Arcade collection look

I don't know how MK1 will translate to a new generation (it was certainly a "you had to be there" experience the first time around), but you guys who only have memories of MK2 on sega or SNES get prepared to get blown the F away.

i am so happy they are finally doing this,i miss playing mk1 in the arcades so this is the next best thing. U can never beat the classics[even if it isn't in hd :(] lol

But I'm absolutely upset cause for me there's nothing new. I have Sega, and Snes and MAME emulators, and all klassic MKs are here, always were and will be available for me. All what changes for me is... it will be alittle more comfort cause they are all in one set and playable on PS3 without emulators and other problems. But... does this mean they cancelled MK HD? Or all rumors we heard were about THIS thing and MKHD with remade actors was never planned by Boon and co...

*absolutely depressed*

Or maybe...there's some hope that they decided to get even more money. First - release this thing and get money once again from klassics. Then - remade MK HD cause if they annaunce the second one they'll lose any chance to fill their pockets from the old ones.

Last edited:

^^who knows. but yea, apparently alot of the "wow factor" is gone because its not hd. I mean, we've all played these 3 games hundreds of times before. Its nothing new. The big ticket was the visual hd upgrade. But thats not to demininsh the games in their original state. These are freakin treasures lol. but i dont see a whole lot of revenue cominf grom the kids new to the series. I mean, if you came in on mk9, having never touched a previous version, the downgrade would be too much to be enjoyable. That initial bit of nostalgia and appreciation from actually having played these games in their hayday is just non-existent.

But I'm absolutely upset cause for me there's nothing new. I have Sega, and Snes and MAME emulators, and all klassic MKs are here, always were and will be available for me. All what changes for me is... it will be alittle more comfort cause they are all in one set and playable on PS3 without emulators and other problems. But... does this mean they cancelled MK HD? Or all rumors we heard were about THIS thing and MKHD with remade actors was never planned by Boon and co...

*absolutely depressed*

Or maybe...there's some hope that they decided to get even more money. First - release this thing and get money once again from klassics. Then - remade MK HD cause if they annaunce the second one they'll lose any chance to fill their pockets from the old ones.

Hopefully the arcade versions will be better than the MAME versions. The networking will almost assuredly be better, too. Having a game people can just download and play on a console (as opposed to DL'ing and installing MAME, getting the right ROMs and configuring them, and buying a controller and converter for the PC) will broaden the audience and make the online aspect fun.

As far as the HDK, the unofficial word is that it was started but getting things juuuuust right with the animations wasn't working out and the hi-res was making the game too big lead to is being dropped. It wasn't cancelled because it was never officially announced.

As far as the HDK, the unofficial word is that it was started but getting things juuuuust right with the animations wasn't working out and the hi-res was making the game too big lead to is being dropped. It wasn't cancelled because it was never officially announced.

they should have just touched up/upscaled the sprites and redrew backgrounds..much like that shao kahn/scorpion render that was circulated

Wow I'm kinda surprised that no one brought this up before so I figure I should add my $0.02...

I was at the PDP Tournament in Vegas a couple of weeks ago (got my A55 handed to me) and they had two playable demos of the Arcade Klassic Kollection in the custom made MK2011 Kabneits. Here are the facts...

1. MK, MKII, and UMK3 are 100% PORTS! No more, no less.
2. Graphics/Game play is exactly as I remember it. I played MK1-4 in arcades/7-11's so much that I almost failed out of college in my first year.
3. Mileena, Ermac, and Sub-Zero need to be unlocked in UMK3. Not sure if they will remain unlocked afterwards.
4. The menu selection and overall interface is beautiful and very easy to navigate. If you have MK2 for PS3 you will understand what I mean.
5. For those of you planning to buy the Klassic Fight Stick, let me say this...IT'S AWESOME!!!
6. Only 12,000 Klassic Fight Sticks will be made (6,000 for each platform)
7. Klassic Fight Stick will NOT have an opening for you to store items like the current stick. However, it can still be modded by opening the panels.
8. MK2011 Kabneits shells (No TV, PS3/360, or Fight Sticks) are currently being discussed as an item to buy. However, due to its size and subsequent shipping expense it my not be sold to the public.

For what it's worth, I spoke with a rep from PDP and asked why MK4 was not included in the Kollection. He smiled and said "Who knows, it may be an add on in the future." with a wink...I hope so but I'll believe it when I see/play it.

I also asked the same question to Ed Boon. Side note, he's a very nice man, I got a pic with him and he signed my MK Kollectors Art Book. We talked for a few minutes and I asked him why did MK4 get the shaft yet again. He said that he too was puzzled why it was not included...Klassic Boon.

I told him MK4 is like alot like Rocky V...when you think of it, its not that great of a movie, but when you watch it, you realize that the movie in its own right was pretty good. Same concept applies to MK4. Anyone who remembers MK4 in the arcades will agree with me, the game rocks, it's the weak home translations that ruined the legacy of the game.

And for anyone who was not around those good old days hitting the arcade after school (or during school) waiting in line just to put up $0.25 at the base of the kabinet monitor, beating someone to a pulp in Round 1 and letting them win in Round 2 outta respect to let the best player win in Round 3, finding all moves for the game by word of mouth and EGM/GamePro, trying to pull off a fatality without the use of pausing the game to read the button sequence...you just wont understand!!!

^^who knows. but yea, apparently alot of the "wow factor" is gone because its not hd. I mean, we've all played these 3 games hundreds of times before. Its nothing new. The big ticket was the visual hd upgrade. But thats not to demininsh the games in their original state. These are freakin treasures lol. but i dont see a whole lot of revenue cominf grom the kids new to the series. I mean, if you came in on mk9, having never touched a previous version, the downgrade would be too much to be enjoyable. That initial bit of nostalgia and appreciation from actually having played these games in their hayday is just non-existent.

What they should have done is give you an option to turn HD on or off like they did with street fighter on xbl arcade. I for one would deff keep it on old school graphics though lol

RamKahn, was there any kind of options menu for difficulty or anything like that?

There was something but I didn't get a good look at it. I recall seeing Options, Online, and like four or five more items in the main menu. I was trying to see what they were but the guy who was at the controls went through them too fast.

3. Mileena, Ermac, and Sub-Zero need to be unlocked in UMK3. Not sure if they will remain unlocked afterwards.

I hope they make it so they don't need to be unlocked at all. I'll be happy with them making it so you only have to enter the codes once, but the game is so old that it's far from necessary anymore.

Ah the memories. Twas a time before the arcade died. A round or two of Quasar, then Killer Instinct 2, Fighting Vipers and MK's 2 and 3. Good times.

Because a lot of us have been fans of this series since before you were even born, and still play the classic games to this day. They have a special nostalgia in a lot of our hearts. MK has been one of my all-time favorite game series since the first game hit arcades.

HELL YEAAAAAAA! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!

:D

And being able to play the original MK1 online!??! omgggggggg, I think I just busted a nut!

I cant wait for this! I'll be playing this WAYYYYYYYYYY more then MK9

It's just a collection of ports or emulations (they haven't said which yet). No new actors, no HD makeup. You will still see all the bones and everything we love in its full MK console glory. Here's a thread for everything you need to know so far...

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/20989-Mortal-Kombat-Arcade-Collection-Arriving-Summer-2011

The same people who ported UMK3 to the X-360 are the same guys who are gonna port MK1 and MK2 also. We already had a taste of UMK3 on the 360 (AMAZING!), so lets hope they do an equally AMAZING job with MK1 and MK2 (even though I already have MK2 on PSN)

Whoooooooooooot! Im super excited!

Wow I'm kinda surprised that no one brought this up before so I figure I should add my $0.02...

I was at the PDP Tournament in Vegas a couple of weeks ago (got my A55 handed to me) and they had two playable demos of the Arcade Klassic Kollection in the custom made MK2011 Kabneits. Here are the facts...

1. MK, MKII, and UMK3 are 100% PORTS! No more, no less.
2. Graphics/Game play is exactly as I remember it. I played MK1-4 in arcades/7-11's so much that I almost failed out of college in my first year.
4. The menu selection and overall interface is beautiful and very easy to navigate. If you have MK2 for PS3 you will understand what I mean.
5. For those of you planning to buy the Klassic Fight Stick, let me say this...IT'S AWESOME!!!
6. Only 12,000 Klassic Fight Sticks will be made (6,000 for each platform)
7. Klassic Fight Stick will NOT have an opening for you to store items like the current stick. However, it can still be modded by opening the panels.
8. MK2011 Kabneits shells (No TV, PS3/360, or Fight Sticks) are currently being discussed as an item to buy. However, due to its size and subsequent shipping expense it my not be sold to the public.

For what it's worth, I spoke with a rep from PDP and asked why MK4 was not included in the Kollection. He smiled and said "Who knows, it may be an add on in the future." with a wink...I hope so but I'll believe it when I see/play it.

I also asked the same question to Ed Boon. Side note, he's a very nice man, I got a pic with him and he signed my MK Kollectors Art Book. We talked for a few minutes and I asked him why did MK4 get the shaft yet again. He said that he too was puzzled why it was not included...Klassic Boon.

I told him MK4 is like alot like Rocky V...when you think of it, its not that great of a movie, but when you watch it, you realize that the movie in its own right was pretty good. Same concept applies to MK4. Anyone who remembers MK4 in the arcades will agree with me, the game rocks, it's the weak home translations that ruined the legacy of the game.

And for anyone who was not around those good old days hitting the arcade after school (or during school) waiting in line just to put up $0.25 at the base of the kabinet monitor, beating someone to a pulp in Round 1 and letting them win in Round 2 outta respect to let the best player win in Round 3, finding all moves for the game by word of mouth and EGM/GamePro, trying to pull off a fatality without the use of pausing the game to read the button sequence...you just wont understand!!!

I really, REALLY hope that when they port MK1, its not gonna be like the CRAPPY port of MK1 that they added to the Kollectors edition of MK: Deception..... The Scorpion spear sound was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to annoying and loud! I couldnt even bare standing to select him because of it (and he was my fav. character in the original, along with Kano and Suby-Wuby). And MK4?!?! OMG, I loved that game SO MUCH on the N64 (not PSX)... But I never got a chance to play it in Arcades back in the day. They never had many arcades here in Calgary, Alberta.

:(

But damn, I cant wait to play an ARCADE PERFECT PORT of MK4 one of these days! Ahhhhhhh the good old days of MK1, 2 and UMK3 in the arcades.... So emotional for me! I FRICKIN LOVED THEM ALL! Goro (boss) in the original was AMAZING! I especially loved the thumping sounds (as if Goro was stomping everywhere) that you heard in the background of the Final round (in the 3rd Endurance match) right BEFORE you battle Goro in Goro's Lair.... Ohhhhhhh the memories! <3

:p

Ah the memories. Twas a time before the arcade died. A round or two of Quasar, then Killer Instinct 2, Fighting Vipers and MK's 2 and 3. Good times.

Dont forget the good old days of: Time Killers AND Primal Rage also! Whooooooooooooot!

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

If they can get MK1 and MK2 to look as good as UMK3 on xbox live then they will rock. I am a die hard mk fan but mk2 for the psn really let me down except for being able to play online. True arcade sound and crisp hd graphics is all I ask for.

I dont understand why people still want to play this games when MK9 is out and its so amazing, i played MK Trilogy until MK9 demo came out, but now with the whole game i dont see the point.
The only thing is that i miss Rain... lol

Cause MK9 is not the only great MK game.you should give them a try,especially MK2 you might be surprised how fun & hard they are!

Primal Rage xD I swear I used to be able to hear that game scream "we wish we were mortal kombat!!!"
what a joke that game was.fatalities hardly worked,and most were pretty lame when they did work
the monkey chaos were pretty good.one was a golden shower!

Last edited:

If they can get MK1 and MK2 to look as good as UMK3 on xbox live then they will rock. I am a die hard mk fan but mk2 for the psn really let me down except for being able to play online. True arcade sound and crisp hd graphics is all I ask for.

crisp HD graphics....

why do i have the feeling a lot of people are believing this still to be the HD collection?

there will be no HD...no crisp, fresh graphics...if you have a larger screen such as I...expect it to look well pixelated and dated

by crisp graphics I mean better than the snes versions.....UMK3 on xbox live looked way better than mk2 on the psn.

by crisp graphics I mean better than the snes versions.....UMK3 on xbox live looked way better than mk2 on the psn.

its also a different game with different technology so of course it would look better on the xbox since they had the newer game (umk3)

still.,..dont expect it to look or be HD