Johnny Cage Thread - "I make this look easy!"

Kzaoo, since I play really aggressively and Cage is an aggressive character, what can I do to really keep the pressure going?

I hate when my prey gets away >:C

Kzaoo, since I play really aggressively and Cage is an aggressive character, what can I do to really keep the pressure going?

To keep your opponent you have loads of tools. F3 is an advancing normal that is neutral on block (you and your opponent can start moving at the same time. There are many mindgames that come off of this attack (F3,3). If you notice the opponent is respecting it you can repeat it 2-3 times, this makes them think they can poke after it so if you do a F3 next time the f3 would hit them. You can confirm that into a nutpunch for more free pressure.

2 hits crouching opponents and is neutral on block, its really quick so you use it as the second half of a frame trap. This also leads to combos as well. When you land a 2,1 on block you're neutral on block as well, however after that there is a high-low mixup in the string so your opponent will be preparing to fuzzy guard it so you can stop the string after a 2,1 and

Last edited:
hit an F3 after it.

If you feel that your opponent will jump away use standing 1 to catch them as they're jumping.

You can use Ex forceball to apply pressure, you have the advantage after that so if your opponent hits a button they'll get hit. Only do it if they're standing because if they're crouching it will miss.

ALWAYS end your combos with nutpunch

You know about how F3,3,B3 work right?

B3 is the overhead part.

If you do F3, and they expect a 3, after it. You get another free F3, if you cut it early.

If they don't expect the 3 after F3 though, and you only do F3, you get poked out.

If you go for just F3,3 and they expect a 3rd hit. You can usually check them with D3 or something after 3. And if you hit them Start all over with F3 again.

IF they block your overhead high, you can cut the last hit out, and do EX fireballs to start another round of pressure with F3.

IF they block low though your EX fireballs will go over alot of the characters. So you gotta just finish the string to make it an overhead to hit them.

EX fireballs is for when they stand block.

If you hit them with the Overhead version of your B3. You get another free round of F3,3,B3 pressure.

If you EX fireballs same deal if they blocked it.

End all combos and hits into nutpunch.

once you land nutpunch you get a free crossup

1,1,F1 if you time it right they should be jailed standing. F1 has +3 on block. That basically means you are at enough advantage after F1, to check them with a knee(F3) and start your pressure.

2,1 pressure spam is good because they are scared of the F2. at the end.

Spam 2,1 enough times and when you think they are gonna poke out do F2 at the end and get a combo. You can also do the low hit at the end instead to get a slight advantage to check them with.

Last edited:
You know about how F3,3,B3 work right?

B3 is the overhead part.

If you do F3, and they expect a 3, after it. You get another free F3, if you cut it early.

If they don't expect the 3 after F3 though, and you only do F3, you get poked out.

If you go for just F3,3 and they expect a 3rd hit. You can usually check them with D3 or something after 3. And if you hit them Start all over with F3 again.

IF they block your overhead high, you can cut the last hit out, and do EX fireballs to start another round of pressure with F3.

IF they block low though your EX fireballs will go over alot of the characters. So you gotta just finish the string to make it an overhead to hit them.

EX fireballs is for when they stand block.

If you hit them with the Overhead version of your B3. You get another free round of F3,3,B3 pressure.

If you EX fireballs same deal if they blocked it.

End all combos and hits into nutpunch.

once you land nutpunch you get a free crossup

1,1,F1 if you time it right they should be jailed standing. F1 has +3 on block. That basically means you are at enough advantage after F1, to check them with a knee(F3) and start your pressure.

2,1 pressure spam is good because they are scared of the F2. at the end.

Spam 2,1 enough times and when you think they are gonna poke out do F2 at the end and get a combo. You can also do the low hit at the end instead to get a slight advantage to check them with.

if you play like this you will get raped.

What are you talking about? Theres only one letter and one number that form the character.... F and 3

JK

I just like how he took the time to type that, but didn't take the time to correct anything or add to the thread.

His specific question was how to "keep pressure" Obviously all pressure ends eventually you can't guess correctly forever. So that's when other aspects of Johnny cage comes to fruit.

Maaaaannn this character is so Cheap! All you have to do is press F3,3 the whole game and you win off Potato chip damage.. So cheap, I readz stuff off the interwebz so I KNOW EVRYTHANG.

Maaaaannn this character is so Cheap! All you have to do is press F3,3 the whole game and you win off Potato chip damage.. So cheap, I readz stuff off the interwebz so I KNOW EVRYTHANG.

except you can bait F3 and punish him lol. You just need to learn the spacing.

And you can't win off only the F3,3,B3 string. It's a strong string. And it'll be optimal to use it more than some other strings.

But watch high level cages it's not all F3,3,B3

There is baiting, bait jumps and anti air punch or anti-air kicks. Using Xray as a threat to keep pressure easier.

ect ect ect.

So much about each character, that a single post won't explain everything you need to know.

I'm pretty sure he was joking lol.

How I deal with F3 is I know the range and I just backdash when i'm in it. Whiff punish that shit with Kano's b112.

Kano can whiff punish? :lol:

Hey, you learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

I usually just wait for the 3 after F3, and try to guess right to get out or if he's spamming F3 I'll poke out then.

Kano can whiff punish? :lol:

Hey, you learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

I usually just wait for the 3 after F3, and try to guess right to get out or if he's spamming F3 I'll poke out then.

lol what if he just spams F3 back to back with the occasional F3,3 EX fireballs?

Sometimes you do have to poke after knee. lol.

I usually have the same mindset as you against new people. But against my friends that know I wait for that crap sometime they'll get greedy and do like 5F3's in a row knowing I'm waiting lol.

:rofl:

Yea, but Mileena's D+1 is horrible and her D+3 is decent.. So after F3 I should just try a poke him out of the trap.

:rofl:

Yea, but Mileena's D+1 is horrible and her D+3 is decent.. So after F3 I should just try a poke him out of the trap.

It's just a guessing game.

I usually just wait for 1 specific thing against a new person and just take my chances on that one thing.

If I keep losing then I start mixing it up. I don't usually try to poke after a knee, I'm scared lol.

I'm pretty sure he was joking lol.

How I deal with F3 is I know the range and I just backdash when i'm in it. Whiff punish that shit with Kano's b112.

oh, I can never tell when Mike is joking. I have bad habit of relating an avatar to how they look when they talk LOL.

Aight, and I feel ya on being scared. :|

I remember playing Pooping Toads Cage,and that was my first time ever running into his frametraps. I wanted to Cry after being 6-1'd by him.