Jade's Metal Thread

I guess you could say I was born a metal fan. Then again, I was born the same year Metallica and Slayer released their debut albums, in the city that banned Ozzy for 10 years for doing his business on a historic landmark, so maybe that might have been a sign of where my musical tastes would go.

I had been raised on classic rock radio that my parents listened to, and I had always gravitated towards the likes of Zeppelin, Van Halen, and the like. At age 6, Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" was my favorite song. Kinda embarrassing now, but back then, I thought it was a cool song. At age 14, I ended up with my first favorite band,which was AC/DC. I only ended up with Back in Black, though. The next year, I got into Metallica, and this time, I ended up getting their all of their albums at the time within 6 months. While I was getting my dad into Metallica and solo Ozzy, he ended up getting me into Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath (I was only interested in Ozzy-era Sabbath at the time, being the Ozzy fanboy I was back then) That eventually led me to Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, and other bands. I'm kinda embarrassed that I got into the nu metal thing in high school, but I have no regrets because it taught me to really keep my ears open and decide for myself what I like and don't like, and more importantly, whether or not I genuinely did like it.

I really don't see myself listening to anything outside the hard rock/heavy metal spectrum because I was so drawn into it in my early years that I pretty much ignored everything else. My dad was also into metal before I was born, so when he noticed me headed in that direction, instead of doing the stereotypical parent thing of trying to keep me away from it, he encouraged my music choices even further. Remember when I said he got me into Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath? That's the best encouragement any young metalhead can get, and it gave me the self-esteem to tell people to go eff themselves if they wanted me to listen to something else!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My dad was a big metal fan as well, I had a cd player I bring with me to school. So I can pass the time during recess. I took some Metallica albums he had, he also had Motley Crue, Ozzy(Black Sabbath) on there. I was beginning to love the sound the guitar solos. I was hooked. I had a cd player/radio at home so I played metal on there while I did homework. Gave me motivation to finish it.

So yeah, I thank my dad for his good taste and allowing me to borrow his albums for school. Thanks Dad for getting me into metal!

Speaking of Crue, did you hear they announced a farewell tour (actually, I mentioned it in the what are you listening to thread when I put up a Crue song)? And no, this isn't one of those bullshit bait-and-switch farewell tours bands have been pulling off over the last 15 years (I'm looking at you, KISS! You too Scorpions!), this one's for real; the band even signed a binding agreement not to tour at all beyond the end of 2015 to prove it.

I'd rather see bands go out in top form to be honest. The icing on the cake is that Crue is doing this with the original lineup, something a lot of bands don't even have a chance to do.

However, I think Motorhead might be forced to retire soon, given Lemmy's recent health issues (his well-documented lifestyle is a contributing factor...not everyone can be Keith Richards with that kind of lifestyle.)

Sad that most of musicians take liberties with their bodies with narcotics and most of them ended up costing their lives. I am just glad Lemmy is still alive.

so there's rumers of a new Rammstein album in 2014, hope these rumers are true and i also hope it gets a US release, i also just want more Rammstein Period, their music is so infectious and addictive, i've been listening to them for 3 weeks straight already , i grew up listening mainly to, i was usually called a freak in school because my music taste wasn't mindless pop or rap like everyone else in my class, i'm 21 years old and still to this day, prefer Classic Rock and Metal over the crap we have now
Rob Zombie
Ozzy Osbourne
Seether
Staind
Evanescence
Black Sabbath
Dio

but recently , i found addiction in German Metal like
OOMPH!
Rammstein
Megaherz
Eisbrecher

i love it all, of most albums released in 2013, the only one i liked was Black Sabbath 13, it was dark, heavy and slowish like their 70's stuff

Wovenwar, the new band with the 4 members of As I Lay Dying (Jordan, Nick, Phil & Josh) + Shane Blay will release a new single next week.

As I said on FB:

Welp, the rest of As I Lay Dying has to do something too, in the meanwhile.
As much as I hope in my heart that the allegations against Tim Lambesis aren't true, you can't just expect the band to just sit around forever and do nothing, either.
I'm a hardcore As I Lay Dying fan, but I'm also a human being too, and the criminal charges against Tim are serious.
Anyone that still blindly defends those type of criminal allegations, is just a terrible human being.

That being said, I really hope that this new project turns out great, and I can't wait to hear some more metalcore from the rest of the As I Lay Dying guys and Shane Blay.

I'm a huge AILD fan, and I really hope that this new project does well for them.

The new Fallujah album "The Flesh Prevails" debuts this July. From the shapes of Sapphire (the preview track they've released) it could easily be a top contender for album of the year. Stunning technical death metal that maintains an incredible, ambient atmosphere. Incredible song writing that isn't reliant on sweep picking and hyper-technical riffs to succeed. Their EP Nomadic was amazing, but this is shaping up to be truly stellar.

This thread needs more symphonic metal! Epica's new album The Quantum Enigma is a strong album of the year contender for me.

Fallujah released a second track from their new album The Flesh Prevails, and somehow it managed to be even better than the first. Sapphire was incredible, but Carved From Stone is simply mindblowing. At the rate these guys are going, competition for album of the year is only going to be token...

I mean, just the way it starts... that haunting four note riff... jesus this song is amazing.