Why are people offended so damn easily?

Okay so I've noticed this is a growing trend as years go by. Apparently the term describing it is "progressiveness" but I call it censorship.

Why in the whole wide world are people getting offended more and more easily?

This past Sunday was the last straw for me and it compelled me to rant about this. Unless you live under a rock, you'd probably know by now that Game of Thrones is one of, if not the most popular TV show currently. One of the things that makes it so great is the no holds barred nature of the show, no one is safe, anyone can die, blah blah. It is really gritty and graphic, as the violence in the show is Mortal Kombat-esque, the cursing is rampant and the Sex/Nudity puts the 50 Shades of Grey Movie to shame (no exaggeration).

With all that said, there have been a lot of brutal murders throughout the series, excessive nudity and what not, that some people have to voice their complaints about. Well this past episode brought out the pitchforks in full force. A certain character... Not going to spoil it, gets raped very violently and viciously and she literally just became an adult. The rape isn't shown on screen, just the noises and what not.

You could only imagine the outrage that came after.

People arguing left right and centre about the oppression of women, etc. when this is a freaking work of fiction. Who the hell are you to try to change an Author's work because it goes against your moral compass?

I used to laugh at phrases such as the "pussification of America", but now I'm looking at it like it's true. What is going on with this world? Why are people becoming easily more offended and hiding behind the concept of progressiveness to justify their taking offense?

i think theyre just trying to completely 360 the way things were like 50+ years ago.

I know what youre talking about from Game of Thrones. if their genders were reversed everyone that's complaining would be like " alright he's the man. way to go."

You being uncomfortable with it would get you branded as homophobic... When it's just genuine disdain for it. Another thing that pisses me off.

not everyone who acts homophobic does it to offend others. some of them just don't want people to think that they're gay. especially when they're not gay.

Agreed. Like it's ok for a male on the show to get his dick chopped off, but God forbid that a woman gets raped on the show. That is what culture was like in the medieval times(minus dragons, witchcraft etc), woman got treated as objects getting passed around and presented as trophies.

People really need to stop being so damn sensitive, it's a controversial and violent show. Expect these sort of things to happen.

Everyone in the Midway forums and Mortal Kombat Online would get offended by this post. I mean they already got offended with my fatality ideas.

They actually were tripping about someone making 2 accounts and banned him/her for it. That's how closed minded the moderators there are.
Well, that someone should've thought about that before making 2 accounts. Every board I've been on (this one included) prohibits multiple accounts anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Its all political correctness now. Nobody wants to offend anybody. But everybody has to realize everybody else doesn't share the same opinion and ideas.

Its all political correctness now. Nobody wants to offend anybody. But everybody has to realize everybody else doesn't share the same opinion and ideas.

Pretty much this, political correctness can be good sometimes, but most of the time it's thought policing. And what's worse is that the new generation is fully indoctrinated into political correctness. To the point where interpreting phrases like "you run like a girl" have been transformed from petty insults into sexist slurs. It's freaking ridiculous.

But everybody has to realize everybody else doesn't share the same opinion and ideas.

Agreed 100% with you, [MENTION=6910]Bruzzrad[/MENTION].
I'm all out of "Thanks," at the moment. :top:

The problem is that everyone wants their idea to be the only right idea, so they get easily offended when another idea doesn't match what they had in mind, and then they pull out the "it's sexist," "it's racist," "homophobic" or "it's offensive" cards.

It has gotten to the point where you can't say "I don't agree with Green Lantern being turned into a gay character," without someone else saying "homophobe."
You can't say "I don't like the idea of Johnny Storm being changed to being black," without someone saying that "you're racist."
You can't say "I don't agree with _______________ character being turned into a woman," without someone saying that "you're sexist."

It's gotten so damn ridiculous to even state your opinion on something, these days, without someone else being quick to bash you for it.

[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION] Honestly, I feel this is the only Forum where I can discuss this matter openly with people who feel the same way...

I frequently post on Bloody Elbow, a MMA Website, however the members on there can be extremely PC and SJW-like. I remember one member wrote a post with the context of, "I'm glad our culture doesn't tolerate the oppression of women, unlike others", and then someone went off on him for being "xenophobic", when all he was saying is that the culture he belongs to doesn't oppress women while others do. That's probably as overly PC and SJW as you can get.

Offended. What is wrong with you? Haven't you all got mothers!

I think there's a lot of people who like to be offensive too, or too obnoxious to see how offensive they are, if they even care.
And then there's people who are a little too defensive that fly off the handle over what they think is offensive.

But when I make punk music, I want to be offensive :twisted:

You make punk music?
I'm offended about that! Grr! How dare you?!
I'm offended Elias hasn't responded here in a few days.

I'm offended you quoted me! :laugh:
Yes I do and you know what? My next song should be about Tanya cheating on her husband. Hope it offends you! :twisted:

Offended. What is wrong with you? Haven't you all got mothers!

I think there's a lot of people who like to be offensive too, or too obnoxious to see how offensive they are, if they even care.
And then there's people who are a little too defensive that fly off the handle over what they think is offensive.

But when I make punk music, I want to be offensive :twisted:
Do some Skinhead Punk. That'll REALLY offend people.

Maybe I'd wear a swastika somewhere like Sid Vicious. But I wouldn't go full fledged.
Or, start an Anal C**t cover band. Their "It Just Gets Worse" album is SUPER offensive. So much so that Earache Records deleted lyrics from about 2 or 3 songs, and even changed the title of "Connor Clapton Committed Suicide Because His Father Sucks" to "Your Kid Committed Suicide Because You Suck" to avoid a defamation of character lawsuit from Eric Clapton (you KNOW you are grossly offensive when Earache Records censors you).