Removing Fatalities AFTER the game is released

boX

Everyone is talking about how NRS can issue updates to add more content to the game after it comes out....but has anyone thought about the reverse of that?

What do you think the chances of NRS releasing the game on April 19th, the fatalities they have in the game upset some people, then NRS releases an update removing content from a game you already purchased.

I have a feeling we will see this. I think some of the fatalities will be pretty disturbing and because of parental/government pressure, NRS will be backed into a corner and pull some of the content after the game has been out.

How would you guys feel about that? Knowing you paid for a game under one pretense, only to have it altered negatively later on down the line by them taking out content?

It would be pointless, the content would still exist. Pretty sure all you'd have to do is delete any updates from the HDD of the console, disconnect the internet, and run the game. Anyone who purchased the game before a specific date would still be able to view the "disturbing content."

Not saying it couldn't happen, it would just for the most part be pointless, so I don't see it happening.

The ESRB has already rated the game, so if anything was deemed "too" disturbing, I think it would be pulled out pre-release. If anyone is too disturbed by something, I think they should just take the option of not playing the game.

Everyone is talking about how NRS can issue updates to add more content to the game after it comes out....but has anyone thought about the reverse of that?

What do you think the chances of NRS releasing the game on April 19th, the fatalities they have in the game upset some people, then NRS releases an update removing content from a game you already purchased.

I have a feeling we will see this. I think some of the fatalities will be pretty disturbing and because of parental/government pressure, NRS will be backed into a corner and pull some of the content after the game has been out.

How would you guys feel about that? Knowing you paid for a game under one pretense, only to have it altered negatively later on down the line by them taking out content?

The game has already passed the ESRB's ratings system, so I see no need for this to happen. If parents dislike it, good; it will draw attention to the series, which is good for business.

I doubt they'd take anything out. It can already pretty much be guaranteed that the game's going to cause controversy and upset the usual "video games are bad" people but I doubt it would cause them to remove any content. Not to mention, it'd cause hell for NRS. Can you imagine the ticked off fans if anything gets pulled through an update and they can't play online unless they have that update, thus restricting them to playing entirely offline with all the original content or online with content pulled/censored?

I agree that I don't see them removing anything post-release....but, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. There are a lot of uptight people in the world and when those people voice their opinions loud enough, sometimes higher entities (government) step in to appease those loud voices.

Not going to happen , the content is on the disk and i cant see how they could remove it.

Last edited:
Victory102 is exactly right, if they did something like that all the MK fans would not play the game online to have the update and there would be such trouble from the gamers and people protesting about the Amendments. There are games way more offensive then whatever kind of fatalities that they could put in this fantasy game.

I get so mad when first off morons say to Ed Boon if he is worried about the AO rating, which caused him to keep on saying that he is worried about crossing the line with fatalities that do not hold a candle to some of the kills in God of War 3. Then after the game gets rated M and of course it would if the UK did not ban the game since they are bit more harsh on violent entertainment, I finally feel like I am at peace at not seeing some stupid topic about the AO rating yet oh no, there has to be an even more stupid topic when I just thought that all of this nonsense is over with.

there are also alot of violent games that are on par with the new mortal kombat . Left 4 dead , splatterhouse , gears of war to name a few.

A call of duty modern warfare 2 level caused alot of controversey ? did they pull it from the game ? no , so why would they do somthing like that to mortal kombat.

Seeing as fatalities are also completely optional to perform...this will never happen. This is why the ESRB exists...thanks to Mortal Kombat actually!

It won't happen. I get what you are saying, and it's always a possibility, but there's no reason for it. The ESRB have rated the product mature, and anything that makes it into the game meets those requirements. If anyone complains about something in the game, such as a mother with her child, the logical response is "Why is that child playing an M rated game?". The answer isn't to tone down the game to the mother's demands. Once the game meets M rated requirements, and is released, there's absolutely no reason to take anything away from the game.

OMG r u kidding me. How about just DONT DO THE FATALITY if you dont like. NO reason to ever remove a fatality after the game launches.

Problem Solved: release a bone dry game for 20$ then add all the "extreme" content as DLC. Satisfied?

(For those whose sarcasm detector's batteries are dead, that was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.)

Yeah, I'm not seeing that kind of update ever happen. It has never happened(as far as I know) and I highly doubt that it ever will. This actually reminds me of that time when someone modded the PC version of GTA San Andreas to include nudity and everyone pissed their pants about it. Rockstar never did anything besides say that it wasn't even them and accepted the AO rating they were bumped to.

So, if anything stupid did go down, I doubt NRS would pull any gore from the game and just let it get bumped up to AO. Not like it would hurt their player base anyways. Releasing an update to remove content would just be stupid.

Last edited:
Its not gonna happen through and through. I would say the most controversial thing in a video game due to violence in some time was in MW2 with the airport level, which they just made it optional to play. Besides, mk isn't half as controversial as it was back in the day since much worse (more realistic) games have come out. Even if it was that bad, the most they could possibly do is change the game to an AO rating like they did with San Andreas (Remember the hot coffie hack). My one concern is that Ed Boon stated that they really pushed the boundaries of an M rating in this game due to the detail in graphics of the gore. In future games, the graphics will only get better and more detailed so my fear is that they will have to hold back to keep the game at an M rating.

Why can't people just be happy with the game and what it has to offer?

So many complaints about the fatalities but they are better than they have been in a long time.