Preferences

Flagg

Appologies if something like this has been done before, i'm just curious as to why some of you choose the characters you choose, who you like facing and who you don't.

My 4 mains in this currently are Jade, NW, Sindel and Sheeva.

Part of the reason I chose these chracters is because they have quite a steep learning curve, are quite unique and you dont see these characters online a lot. Plus, you often hear people say how "garbage" a character is (often heard this with Sindel and Sheeva) so it's almost like a personal challenge for me to master that "garbage" character and prove the critics wrong.

Interestingly I loved Scorpion and SZ in MK2, but they are whored to death on this game, so I wont touch them. It's the same reason I dont use Ryu in SSF IV (despite my preference for him in SF II and SF III).

Characters I don't like fighting against are virtually all the ninjas with the exception of Reptile and SZ. I find that more often than not, you get pretty good players using these two...not with the others, and I find SMoke, Noob and Ermac utterly boring in this. Raiden and Lui Kang bore me to tears, however I LOVE fighting against a good Johnny Cage or Kung Lao! Kenshi i've come to find is boring to play against as well, but I quite like facing a good Scarlet player. The Cyborgs are always a nice challenge to face as well.

Jade of course, is awesome, as is Mileena and Scarlet, but again...I don't gravitate to Kitana and I find she isn't used well online by others. Infact, I find a lot of bad players seem to plump for the Raidens, Lui Kang, Scorpions, etc..

Johnny Cage, he's been my guy since MKII. I got lucky that his style complements my playstyle perfectly. His ridiculous pressure, great frame advantages, tick grabbing, and a variety of options close make him a perfect, fun choice for me.

Nightwolf, a perfect compliement for Johnny. JC suffers greatly from being zoned, Nightwolf loves it. He has great mixups leading to his axe launcher, two of the best specials in the game imo (Unblockable lightning, shoulder charge), and his combos do decent damage. Not to mention his xray is still one of the few that actually work well when comboed into.

Cyber Sub, a character a just recently picked up. He's very underused, but extremely powerful. He has a great little trick that not many know about that is VERY powerful and useful. His zoning is pretty decent, and teleport allows him to avoid zoning. Combine that with high damaging combos, a drop kick that can't be punished by anything less that the fastest specials, and a great parry move and you have a beast in the right hands.

lately ive been pickin random a lot but id say 1; noob (cause i learned him all by myself 8D)
sektor (pure karnage) stryker (nice kombos) jade (love her kombos also) other than that i like playin wit most players keeps things fresh

Sub-Zero, I love his defensive style...makes me feel like I'm in a tank xD.
I'm very confident when I use him.

JC, his tattoo is so amazing that I am obliged to main him lol

Stryker, so badass that I still don't know why people don't use him online

Ermac, because I have always used him in the last MK games

Smoke, because I like his style

Kenshi, just look at my sign :D

I main Sub Zero, but mostly because he fits my defensive play style. I'm also a big fan of Cage when I want to play a little more aggressively.

Some of the biggest problems I've had are fighting Shiva and Sindel. Since not many players use them, I'm kind of at a loss on the best way to beat them.

My 4 main in this game, for now :

Skarlet, Mileena, Sektor and Kano

** I gonna add Rain after learning the basics with him, and after having enough pratice in ladder, to finally be able go online with him

Skarlet and Mileena are my mains for personal reason and preference, I love both ladies, and so, I don't complain about if their gameplay have some flaws, I just learn to adapt to their move set the way they are .......

Sektor and Kano, I play them because I like their move set and gameplay in this game, both are good, specially Kano.

Rain is a fun character the way he is being portrayed here, now. So, I will try the dude and see how it is.

- I don't care about who I face online, if you wanna to learn this game, you should accept any challenge and see if you can overcome what is coming .... sure, it's unavoidable to face spammers, and people picking Kung Lao, Raiden, Ermac, Smoke and Scorpion, 10 times in a row, but, it's part of the "online stuff", I can stand that. If you lose constantly to them, you know you need better pratice in Training Mode and put more effort next time, so, I don't complain ...... I don't lose my grip because of this game, never.

- Personally, I like to face good Reptile players, good Noob Saibot players ,good Cyrax players, good Jade players, because, it's almost guaranteed to be a tough hard fight, and , as training purpose, it's excellent, these characters, when played in high level, more or less obligate you to play good as well, and, a fun fight comes.

I chose Sektor because of his look.
It wouldn't matter if he was the worst character, I decided to main him before the game even came out.

I chose Jax, Sheeva and Baraka because everyone said they suck.
I've grown to love Jax and Baraka.
I like Sheeva :p

Edit: Lol, you know who you are ;)

Last edited:
Noob and Sub Zero are my mains.

Sub Zero was my first favorite MK character ever, from the time of MK1. He's also the first character I grasped from the demo, and I've continued to try and master him. He's exciting to play because he can be a challenge to use. I'm still not as confident as I'd like to be with SZ, but it's a goal I want to accomplish because it's definitely worth it.

Noob is my primary (of course). A favorite since MK2, and I couldn't be happier with him in MK9. He's so much fun to play as, and the look and the lore of the character are awesome on their own. I've kind of developed my own style with him, and I'm confident with it to the point of carelessness. If I were to fight in a tourney, this is the character I'd use. I'm afraid of nothing with Noob, and I play him aggressively.

I don't dislike facing any character, I don't care. When a match pops up I just go to my slot, no hidden cursor - bring it on. If I know I have trouble facing whatever character my opponent picks, it's just another chance to improve against them. So I don't have preference towards that, but I do have a preference for players. It gets tedious facing someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I don't like an easy match, and I don't mind losing.

My third main is going to be Rain, I can't wait.

I have dont know who you guys are playing online, but I HARDLY ever see a sub zero player. I main sub zero and Im usually the only one who picks him. In 500 matches, iv seen maybe 15 sub zero matches.

I've mained Sub-Zero since day one. He's been my favorite since MKII and I loved his counter-based fighting style in this game. His mind games are sick and he can absolutely control the flow of the match when played well. I've started playing a lot of Jade for that reason too. I honestly think she's the most overlooked character in this game, she has so much going for her and yet so few people are willing to put the time in with her. And again, she can control the pace of a match. Her counter game is so crazy and by the end of a good fight Jade has totally mind-f---ed her opponent. Love it.

Mileena. Played with her since UMK3. She is my go to girl if someone is annoying me or spamming a lot. She's great at exploiting people's messups. Love her personality and her moveset is rather fun to juggle with.

Sindel. Played with her since UMK3. Love the way her moves flow into one another, she's amazing in the corner, and very underated.

Sheeva. I've grown to like her in this game. People don't know what to expect from her and she is definately another underrated character. She's teaching me not to always juggle and go for pokes.

Skarlet/Kitana. My other secret weapons. Great at juggling, fun at juggling, and I love technical characters.

Overall, I love and hate to fight Kung Lao. It's fun to beat this sh*t out of one but also sucks to lose to them. I also like fighting anybody that takes a character to the next level. I hate fighting 75% of subs since all it is is hide behind ice clone. Ermacs are annoying to fight too since it's the same repetitive juggle again, and again.... Raiden for known reason.

My favourite one since day 1 is NIGHTWOLF.

I think I have a pretty good Nightwolf, but I'm always learning new strategies with him. Overall, he is the most well-round character in the game. You can zone with him with an unblockable, one projectile and three projectiles in three directions. You can also rush-down with him with his low, overheads and highs. Even when the opponent blocks, it's easy to gain meter. All his specials are fantastic and his enhanced specials are even better. And to make things more epic, his x-ray is one of the best and most devastating ones to be comboed. And, as if this was not enough already, Nightwolf is a combo beast and punish beast, it's extremely easy to do a simple over 30% meterless combo. In the corner, he's a God. He has a great anti-air and a great dash which works perfectly as a wake-up attack and he absorb projectiles to gain health bar. Overall, the best character to go from defensive to ofensive in no time.

Additionally, he has one of the best roles in the storymode, a kickass ending, a fantastic winning pose, two good fatalities, one funny bability and his alternate costume is really different from his main costume. Nightwolf just rocks.

I typically play with 4 characters:

Cage - he's obnoxious yet funny and I like his move set.

Jade - Love the staff.

Raiden - I tend to be quick with him.

Sub Zero - My favorite only because I like his play style and I'm an old MK gamer.

I'm looking forward to Rain tomorrow too.

I dont use to choose the characters because they are good, awesome or top tier, I just look at 2 things on him.

1 - Appearence
2 - Source of power (element; weapon)

If I like both then I choose him.

My 1st main was always Sub-Zero, it is a coincidence he's top tier in this game cause I was going to main him anyway even if he was bottom tier.

I like all the ninja characters in look and gameplay, BUT, I dont like Scorpion in gameplay in THIS game, so is the only one I dont main, maybe in a future Ill give him another chance but his style in this game is a bit meh, and is too overused, I also like Kenshi and Kabal a lot.
Basically I like characters are the ones with some kind of mistery; fun fact: all of them have a mask, wraps or a headband lol

My mains in order are

Sub-Zero
Rain *he will be here tomorrow :p*
Smoke
Reptile
Noob
Ermac
Kenshi
Kabal
Scorpion *honorable mention*

my scumbag crew:
mileena -my first mastered character. she fits my hit and run style
shang tsung-my fav character since mk2. he's definitely the hardest character to learn, but the payoff has been well worth it.
kano - i have no idea why.
baraka- i dunno why he has a bad reputation; if he gets close to you, it's pretty much game over. if he gets you in the corner, yer might as well put down the controller. good games.

i dislike fighting scorpion because, despite a free win, he's annoying. same with kenshi and skarlet (the latter because of the voice).
i despise kung lao: if i win, it feels like i did it by luck because the one or two times i'll rush him down will always be a gamble. i've random selected him a couple of times and button mashed my way to victory, so yea, he might be. . .overpowered.

I hate fighting Mileena.

Her moves are just so ****ing annoying.
Plus the fact that she can recover from a blocked teleport is bull feces.

I choose my mains based on two factors.
1. Their appearance and story must appeal to me
2. Their gameplay must appeal to me

My mains (in no order) are:
Mileena
Kitana
Jade
Skarlet
Reptile
Ermac
Kabal
Sektor
Sindel
Kano
Nightwolf
Cyrax (Honorable mention)

Baraka - because i loved him in mk2, chop chop 4 life
Quan Chi -because i used him in mk4 just to use his fatality steal and see some blood, also he was bad ass in the story mode.
Kabal - because i always loved his character i played him alot in deception.
Night Wolf - because i could never combo off of his hatchet in umk3!!! and i love his play style in this game.
Jax - because i loved him in mk2, 3, and 4. also his trailer post release of this game was too bad ass not to play as him!
Stryker - because i loved him in umk3 and hated him in mka so when i saw a Stryker i could love again i embraced him .

Kabal and Quan are my best.

i use every character so im fine random selecting as long as i don't get Sindel her bnb are too hard to play her causal.

Reptile is my no.1. He replaced Scorpion as my favourite since MK2. He used to be unique, no one had two projectiles or could turn invisible so he was an interesting character I stuck with. Not to mention he ate the heads of his victims. I've stuck with him for so long that he's stayed my familiar favourite. Force balls are so much fun and after almost 14 bloody years they're finally back!

Scorpion is my no.2. He's versatile and used to be my favourite in MK1 until Reptile came along. Not to mention being a ninja spectre from hell, which is awesome.