Klassic Costume Pack Discussion

Re: Mileena's Mk2 costume

Well that's all I need to hear. We don't know if they'll do any Klassic Costumes after this one, unless they do more DLC chars.

New characters aren't a prerequisite for making costumes. It's true that in order to promote the characters they released classic costume but making costumes doesn't require as much work as making an whole character with a complete new skeletal model and animation, whereas a costume is just a skin.

Even if NRS won't release any new characters, which is highly unlikely they will release costume packs because it's easier for them to make this way :)

Re: Mileena's Mk2 costume

Here's the thing about releasing costumes without a DLC character. The Klassic Skins pack #1 was just fine to release, because since the skins were already on disc, they were compatible with anybody who didn't buy them. And that comes into the reasons why they were on disc in the first place (but that onto later). It's all about people being able to play others online with what they've purchased. When it comes to the DLC characters, the free skins are a good way to "sell" the compatibility pack to anyone who doesn't want the character. And in the event you run into problems with someone who hasn't downloaded those free skins, well at least they were free.

But if NR start selling klassic skins, and not everyone is buying them, then there could be a high rate of problems with them online. If that happens, expect a shitstorm because that's something that had to be bought. As for a compatibility pack - as we all know, the "skins" aren't actually skins but separate characters, which is a lot of data that many might not want to bother with. Especially if there's no freebie bundled into the pack, and even if there was, it'd have to be really worthwhile to encourage a download like that.

Which brings me to the topic of on-disc DLC that's still being discussed these days...
It was good promotion offering a different free klassic skin for each store, but if all the costumes weren't already on the disc, then people would've run into incompatibility online with any skin they didn't own. And that's a bad way to start off for a new game. For reasons I already mentioned, a compatibility pack wouldn't have been a good solution because of it being such a huge download. Putting it on-disc was smart in this case, yeah we had to pay for it but that was probably out of NRS' hands.

Anyway, you can see why I have my doubts about costume packs being sold on their own. But maybe it'll happen anyway, or maybe NR have some solution I haven't thought of. I hope so at least.

Then they can pacth it into everyone's game and you purchase an unlock key.

That occurred to me too, but if that's something they could do then why wouldn't they have done it already? Even with these DLC characters, wouldn't it have been easier for NR to just patch the compatibility into the game, instead of offering free skins to encourage people to d/l it? Seems like a better option than just hoping that they do.

I don't know how these patches work, but one idea is that maybe DLC can't be patched into the game without making it instantly accessible. In other words, a DLC "patch" might not have the option of an unlock key; it's either in the game or it's not. Like I said, I don't know how they work, so that's just a theory, maybe someone knowledgeable can clear it up?

That occurred to me too, but if that's something they could do then why wouldn't they have done it already? Even with these DLC characters, wouldn't it have been easier for NR to just patch the compatibility into the game, instead of offering free skins to encourage people to d/l it? Seems like a better option than just hoping that they do.

I don't know how these patches work, but one idea is that maybe DLC can't be patched into the game without making it instantly accessible. In other words, a DLC "patch" might not have the option of an unlock key; it's either in the game or it's not. Like I said, I don't know how they work, so that's just a theory, maybe someone knowledgeable can clear it up?

I kind of understand NRS decision: If you buy MK in November, and the chars were to be patched, it wouldn't be funny to download 7 patches for PS3 or 6 for Xbox.

I believe NRS should automatically update everyone's games with the compatibility packs. It's an update like every other game.

if they need to release compatibility packs for skins just include a few skins as free incentive just as NRS is doing now to encourage players who do not want to purchase the rest of the pack to download them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

We need some MK1 pack for the rest of the non-ninja characters that starred back in the first game!
*AHEM* bald Kano ;)

Kano had hair in MK1. Not much, but still...

Kano.gif

there wont be any other classic costumes besides the ninjas

Its easier for them to do simple pallet swaps, and they dont want to spend time making unique costumes based on non ninjas. (also its free, so you shouldnt expect much anyway)

I know it sucks, thats just how it is