Creator of Mortal Kombat: Legacy to Develop MK Movie

I'm psyched and skepticle at the same time. Idk about this guy writing the script and the director had his highs and lows in the web series although it was low budget and short which wasn't his fault. Overall though, if this movie just has epic fight scenes with horror movie level gore, I'll be happy.

They need to include xrays too, at least once or twice, im sure the audience will love that ouch moment .

I agree with Sky and Araknyd.. I want it bloody and gory, not the watered down effects of Legacy.
I liked Legacy, but I want this movie to look like a REAL MK movie should look like.
No super realism (like Mortal Kombat should be portrayed realistically.. Seriously, save that shit for street fighter :laugh:)
but also have it stick to the roots.
And please, for the Love of GOD, no "surprises"...like Shao Kahn being Raiden's brother :x

Now all I need is some info on exactly what the hell is going on with the Mass Effect movie and I'll be set.

Also, no dressing up Raiden like some random guy from some random city. WTF was that about in the second movie?

Now all I need is some info on exactly what the hell is going on with the Mass Effect movie and I'll be set.

Also, no dressing up Raiden like some random guy from some random city. WTF was that about in the second movie?

Bro, that whole movie was a giant footprint on the nuts of any MK fan.

Just as long as Shin Koyamada is cast as Liu Kang, and Osric Chau is cast as Kung Lao, I will be very, very happy. :)

I really hope they dont cast those 2 guys with school girl bodies. They need a badass strong liu kang similar to robin shou and an older kung lao.

First of all... THANK YOU TRMK, for this update! I have been waiting for this news for a LONG TIME! Alright, now back to this thread...

I am personally EXCITED TO DEATH (hahah)... First of all, I know that if it's going to be anything like the 10-episode web series "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" or the short "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth" then WE ALL know that it is going to be a RESTRICTED movie filled with swearing, blood, beautifully choreographed, extreme fight sequences, partial nudity, intense violence, FATALITIES, and more!!!

Its going to be dark, grimy, FRESH, simply put: The BEST martial arts game-to-movie adaptation of our time (and its probably going to be a REMAKE of the first and NOT a continuation to the dreadful Mortal Kombat: Annihilation sequel)!!!! I cant wait, I know you cant wait, so lets use this thread to post updates, pictures, videos, ANYTHING related to this film during its developmental and FINAL stages!

Let Mortal Kombat begin...remake... BEGIN! Hahhaha!

Cheers!

:p

I really hope they dont cast those 2 guys with school girl bodies. They need a badass strong liu kang similar to robin shou and an older kung lao.

Did you see Robin Shou's most recent movies? Death Race and Death Race 2. Awesome movies

:p

Last edited:
Ironically those two "recent robin shou movies" where directed by the same guy who directed the first MK movie... with Robin Shou in it.

Anyway, for some reason I didn't think New Line Cinema was around any more and a hew MK Movie would just be a Warner Bros. production.

Also I don't think the new MK should be like Saw as rebirth was. :p

Here are some news about the R rating, kevin is going for it.
http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/9/29/mortal-kombat-director-says-new-film-needs-to-feel-brutal.html

------------

It was reported earlier today that Mortal Kombat short film director Kevin Tancharoen was attached to directing the big screen feature film reboot for New Line Cinema. I'm really excited that New Line and Warner Bros. are moving forward with production. The director recently spoke to EW, and talked about the 'R' rated direction he wants to take the movie,

Kevin: "Up to this point, we’ve only been talking ‘rated R,' I like realistic takes on things, I like it when it’s a little darker and grittier. And I want the martial arts to feel real as opposed to balletic and super-choreographed. It needs to feel brutal, because that’s the nature of the video game itself."

Incredimaze Balls!
I dug both Rebirth and Legacy. And loved the take on Raiden Tancharoen went with. It was definitely unique and I enjoyed it. But hopefully on the movie they will skew closer to the original characters concepts and background stories. Legacy looked amazing and it was on a shoe string budget. They did great effects on the cyber ninjas. So I can imagine how amazing Tancharoen will make the film look with a really big budget. I do hope he goes darker though closer to the tone of rebirth. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I think we may actually see a Mortal Kombat movie that isn't terrible!

First and foremost, I must say...OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! YES FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU WB FOR FINALLY GIVING THE GREENLIGHT!!!!

As for what I want to see in this movie, it will have to be a definite blood and gore fest aka an R rated film. It will be extremely upsetting to see this film rated as PG-13 or anything less than R for that matter. In terms of realism vs mysticism I actually want to see a good mix of both. I remember reading an interview way back about Kevin Tancharoen and what his take would be on an MK film if he could make it. He said something along the lines of showing the start of the film with a sense of realism and once the audience gets to the MK tournament point, thats where the mysticism begins. Heres the link to that interview of you guys are interested: http://collider.com/kevin-tancharoen-interview-mortal-kombat-rebirth-feature-film/31318/

Also, lots and lots of good martial arts Kombat (see what I did there ;)) and I want all the characters in the movie to exhibit all their special moves, but I want to see them exhibited in "special" ways. For example I had this really cool concept for Sub-zero where hes fighting a large group of enemies (Yes, I really want to see kombatants fighting not just other specific kombatants, but groups of opponents as well): he freezes one guy but keeps freezing him until he creates a larger pillar of ice. He then smashes the giant block of ice and the shards fly in all directions like throwing knives, impaling all the surronding enemies...That scene would look soooooo ****ing epic!!!! So what Im saying is exhibiting special moves, but with creativity =)

Anyways, all I can say is Im so excited beyond belief and I cant wait for this movie to finally come out!!!!!! FIGHT!

if the movie is
anything like the series, then this movie will be
awesome. hopefully we can ACTUAL -alities in
this movie , not like that bs sonya kiss of death
fatality she did to cyrax in annihilation or the
ridiculously horrible animalities that were in
annihilation (shao kahn, a 3 headed dragon.
really?).

They just need to be relentless, full force gore, like the game. And i hope they keep that good cgi from legacy on the robots, look at annihalation, looks like cyrax is just a biker without the bike with a big ass head . Plus dont make jax sound like a clown in annihalation, thats why we have cage.

If there aren't any well-known martial artists / actors in this movie, it's going to be shit.
Although I moderately like the first movie, the choreography and martial arts was poor at best.
The best thing the reboot had was the suspense which left you hanging. Makes me wonder if the movie would even be good...

An R rating means nothing to me when he throws around words like "gritty" and "realistic". That's what Rebirth was, and there was nothing MK about Rebirth other than the name.

I don't want a deformed baby Reptile or Doctor Baraka or Shao Kahn as a gangster with a skull tattooed on his face (or even worse, what we got in Legacy). I liked the Paul W.S. Anderson movie but I know the story and action can be so much better. 300 was gory, unrealistic, and stayed true to the source material. I don't know why MK can't be the same.

I think that big dude looks retarded, anyone can play kahn if they do what they did in 300 with the king.

I think that big dude looks retarded, anyone can play kahn if they do what they did in 300 with the king.

dunno man I like my shao khan 7feet tall LOL
dunno how you think he looks retarded, as he's got the right build, he just needs a helmet and a ****ed up mouth.