All things Tanya! - Official Diskussion Thread

Monado

Re: Tanya's Design Compared to Older Designs.

She just looks so aweful to me in this one. She just looks so weird for some reason, might be the odd flat hair.

Imperatrix Sindel

It is just really weird that mums the word when it comes to this but they'll answer questions about everything else, including Kung Jin's sexuality. Why won't they answer something as simple as "Why'd you guys lighten up Tanya's skin so much?" Something seems fishy to me...

Because they know it was racist whitewashing and they'd rather not draw any more attention to it by acknowledging it.

reikoiskahn

Because they know it was racist whitewashing and they'd rather not draw any more attention to it by acknowledging it.

I'd give you a million thanks on this one if I could but...CO-SIGN! No one's going to admit it, though, unfortunately...

theincubuslord

Is it racist to make a white character more tan?

If you don't believe it is, but believe it is racist to lighten Tanya's skin, you got double-standards.

Imperatrix Sindel

Is it racist to make a white character more tan?

If you don't believe it is, but believe it is racist to lighten Tanya's skin, you got double-standards.

White people have a position of privilege in society, and white skin is considered more desirable due to colonialism. That's not a double standard, that's just a fact.

There are dozens and dozens of white characters. There are only a handful of people of color. Making them whiter is, yes, racist.

theincubuslord

White people have a position of privilege in society, and white skin is considered more desirable due to colonialism. That's not a double standard, that's just a fact.

There are dozens and dozens of white characters. There are only a handful of people of color. Making them whiter is, yes, racist.

Doesn't matter how many there are of each race. Racism is the same all around. Hating someone for their skin colour, no matter if they are black or white, is racism.

So making a "white" character more dark in skintone would be the same as making a "black" character more light. So saying one of them is racist and the other isn't is indeed having double standards.

Imperatrix Sindel

This isn't about hate. Imagine two bowls full of candy. The white bowl has 20 pieces in it and the black bowl has three. Taking a piece out of the black bowl is way more messed up.

We don't have to argue about the definition of racism for that to be logical, I don't think. It would similarly be messed up to rewrite Kung Jin as straight. There's only one piece of candy in that bowl.

theincubuslord

This isn't about hate. Imagine two bowls full of candy. The white bowl has 20 pieces in it and the black bowl has three. Taking a piece out of the black bowl is way more messed up.

We don't have to argue about the definition of racism for that to be logical, I don't think. It would similarly be messed up to rewrite Kung Jin as straight. There's only one piece of candy in that bowl.

I'm not the one who brought up the racism card. I agree that it is wrong to change someone's skin colour, but not due to racism, but because it is inconsistent. I too would like Tanya's skin to be darker, but NOT because I want her to represent "black people". She's freaking Edenian, not even from Earthrealm, she NEVER represented black people, and neither did Jade. And I NEVER looked at either of them as such. The same with ALL the non-Earthrealm characters with pale skin, I don't see them as "white people".

Thing is, the people who DO look at the skin colours as something like that are those with racist mindsets.
I'm a gay guy. I know how it is not to be represented alot in media. It's alot more now than it was 10 years ago, but we are still a minority. However, if Kung Jin found out he could fall in love with a woman, I wouldn't rage about it. Yes, I would question it, but not because I then suddenly felt less represented, but because it is inconsistent with how he was shown in the past, which is confirmed a gay man. And I would never accuse NRS for being homophobic if they did something like that, I would accuse them of being inconsistent though and question why they made such a choice.

And I do question why they made Tanya's skincolour lighter than in the past... but I would not call them racist because of it, because I do not believe they did so because of racism.

Imperatrix Sindel

Well, we don't have to agree! In any case, I'm not accusing them of doing it with evil intent. Most prejudice is subconscious.

theincubuslord

This metaphor is a strong metaphor.
And I absolutely agree.

I'm colourblind. I don't see people segregated like that. Hence why I get upset when someone does.
I don't care how many people of colour there is on the roster.
I don't care how many women are on the roster.
I don't care how many LGBT people there are on the roster.

I just want cool characters with cool designs and cool gameplay with a cool story. I'm not choosing a character because of their skin colour or sexual orientation or gender or whatever. If the character as a whole appeals to me, they make it to my list.

Tanya is one of such characters. She was in the past games, and though there's some differences in MKX, she still appeals to me. If she didn't appeal to me in MKX, I would let her go, no matter how much I loved her in past games, and focus on other characters that appeal to me. I've just been lucky that isn't the case.

As mentioned before, when I complain about her skin colour, it's because it is inconsistent to her past appearances. Nothing else.

Tanya's skin colour being lighter is not racism. Racism is when you hate someone due to the colour of their skin. IF Tanya is indeed turned lighter because of that, then yes, you are right, it's racist. But Jax and Jacqui are proof of that not being the case, because if NRS were racists, Jax and Jacqui would be white or cut from the game all together.

That's what I mean with people yelling "RACIST" too easily on the internet. It's like a word they are hiding behind so they can point fingers at people. It irks me so much. It's so extremist to do something like that, like those feminists who call men sexist pigs for liking boobs, or when gay people call straight people homophobes because they aren't used to see men kiss.

... rant over. For now...

Tanyas Husband

I'm colourblind. I don't see people segregated like that. Hence why I get upset when someone does.
I don't care how many people of colour there is on the roster.
I don't care how many women are on the roster.
I don't care how many LGBT people there are on the roster.

I just want cool characters with cool designs and cool gameplay with a cool story. I'm not choosing a character because of their skin colour or sexual orientation or gender or whatever. If the character as a whole appeals to me, they make it to my list.

Tanya is one of such characters. She was in the past games, and though there's some differences in MKX, she still appeals to me. If she didn't appeal to me in MKX, I would let her go, no matter how much I loved her in past games, and focus on other characters that appeal to me. I've just been lucky that isn't the case.

As mentioned before, when I complain about her skin colour, it's because it is inconsistent to her past appearances. Nothing else.

Tanya's skin colour being lighter is not racism. Racism is when you hate someone due to the colour of their skin. IF Tanya is indeed turned lighter because of that, then yes, you are right, it's racist. But Jax and Jacqui are proof of that not being the case, because if NRS were racists, Jax and Jacqui would be white or cut from the game all together.

That's what I mean with people yelling "RACIST" too easily on the internet. It's like a word they are hiding behind so they can point fingers at people. It irks me so much. It's so extremist to do something like that, like those feminists who call men sexist pigs for liking boobs, or when gay people call straight people homophobes because they aren't used to see men kiss.

... rant over. For now...

First of all,
I think you got the impression that I was saying your opinion is wrong. In which case I'm telling you, I am not saying that.
I am in a very segregated area where I live, the blacks don't talk to the whites and the whites don't talk to the blacks. When you walk down the street, it's frowned upon to wave at another race.
Just because I agreed with the metaphor, I was not saying ANYTHING about 'racism', YOU are picking that up out of my 2 sentence post where I said NONE of that. I do agree with that metaphor though. It's always felt like that in video games, MK in general, and regardless of peoples feelings toward the way I see it, I'll still believe that it's kind of off.
I'm fine with Tanya's skin being whiter now, I've said that many times, don't act like I'm saying what common trolls are.

Tanya4eva

yes incubus, i dont think racism is the right word but perhaps Colorism.

Tanya4eva

anyway 2 points - Maya from Killer instinct has gone in the opposite direction from a white blonde blue eyed cavewoman to a blonde tan mayan latina?

also there are many reasons one can respond and bond to a video game character , none are more valid than the other imo.

theincubuslord

First of all,
I think you got the impression that I was saying your opinion is wrong. In which case I'm telling you, I am not saying that.
I am in a very segregated area where I live, the blacks don't talk to the whites and the whites don't talk to the blacks. When you walk down the street, it's frowned upon to wave at another race.
Just because I agreed with the metaphor, I was not saying ANYTHING about 'racism', YOU are picking that up out of my 2 sentence post where I said NONE of that. I do agree with that metaphor though. It's always felt like that in video games, MK in general, and regardless of peoples feelings toward the way I see it, I'll still believe that it's kind of off.
I'm fine with Tanya's skin being whiter now, I've said that many times, don't act like I'm saying what common trolls are.

I'm sorry, my entire post was not pointed at just you and your post, though I did quote you. It aimed at the entirity of this issue, and more.

anyway 2 points - Maya from Killer instinct has gone in the opposite direction from a white blonde blue eyed cavewoman to a blonde tan mayan latina?

also there are many reasons one can respond and bond to a video game character , none are more valid than the other imo.

Maya was never white. When she debuted, she was an Amazonian queen, South American.

Tanya4eva

awww damn!!!! i tried to balance the scales a little ya'll
LOL

but seriously i understand both sides