Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

I just want MK11 to have a new writer. Shawn Kittelsen does a better job on story telling in the MKX comic then the game itself did. I know MK9 suffer from similar flaws too since nearly every villain expect for Shao Kahn felt like jobbers, but I feel like the writing was still better. Shao Kahn felt like a major threat compare to Shinnok who was poorly used in the story mode. Raiden beating Shao Kahn made sense since he got the help from the Elder Gods while the Elder Gods did nothing in MKX. Not to mention Johnny's and Cassie's powers where hardly explain in the story mode.

I just want MK11 to have a new writer. Shawn Kittelsen does a better job on story telling in the MKX comic then the game itself did. I know MK9 suffer from similar flaws too since nearly every villain expect for Shao Kahn felt like jobbers, but I feel like the writing was still better. Shao Kahn felt like a major threat compare to Shinnok who was poorly used in the story mode. Raiden beating Shao Kahn made sense since he got the help from the Elder Gods while the Elder Gods did nothing in MKX. Not to mention Johnny's and Cassie's powers where hardly explain in the story mode.

Only the Original Four are eligible to write for MK. Who knows MK better than them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In the comic, Kotal Kahn was awesome and I love his character. He was so well done while he feel really poor in the story mode for MKX. The story line in the MKX comic was better then the half ass story mode we got in MKX. Shawn Kittelsen is a better writer then John Vogel is in my opinion. I know MK is not a award winning series for it's writing, but that does mean it can't have a great story.

In the comic, Kotal Kahn was awesome and I love his character. He was so well done while he feel really poor in the story mode for MKX. The story line in the MKX comic was better then the half ass story mode we got in MKX. Shawn Kittelsen is a better writer then John Vogel is in my opinion. I know MK is not a award winning series for it's writing, but that does mean it can't have a great story.
But Vogel has 23 years of seniority over Kittelsen, plus Vogel has been there from the beginning. Seniority rules.

He may been with MK1 since day one, but other franchises can be handled by other people too. Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk and Thor have been written by other people after Stan Lee. I don't see why MK can't have a new writing team?

Comparing Kittelsen and the story mode writers is very silly. Kittelsen has hundreds of pages and issues upon issues to build a complex plot and flesh out his characters. Vogel and his team had to produce a tight four hour movie structured to allow 12 of the cast members to have their own single chapter.

It's a totally different format with different demands. I think the story mode team did a great job with a difficult task. The comic, meanwhile, often feels chock full of filler to me.

Doesn't change the point that MKX story mode was ass.

Shinnok was probably the most asinine villain ever put into MK. Plus getting beaten up by Cassie? Dafuq is that...

Comparing Kittelsen and the story mode writers is very silly. Kittelsen has hundreds of pages and issues upon issues to build a complex plot and flesh out his characters. Vogel and his team had to produce a tight four hour movie structured to allow 12 of the cast members to have their own single chapter.

It's a totally different format with different demands. I think the story mode team did a great job with a difficult task. The comic, meanwhile, often feels chock full of filler to me.

All of these things, and I would even say you're being unfair to the MK writers by suggesting they had 4 hours to work with, when the story itself only runs two hours twenty minutes.

Shawn can do literally anything he wants as long as it doesn't break canon. It costs the same amount of money to get an artist to draw Scorpion talking as it does a brand new never-seen-before location where a blood magic ritual is going down that will warp the fabric of both space and time! MKX writers are constrained by animation costs, character design costs, location costs, voice acting costs, the requirement of 12 characters having a chapter each where they have 4 back-to-back fights - and other characters not having chapters in which their story can be fit - the requirement of literally half of those chapters going to brand new characters who have to be properly introduced and set up, unlike Nightwolf, Stryker, and Kabal who just randomly show up out of the blue in MK9 and we're cool with it because nostalgia.

It's a daunting task. I'm not saying they couldn't have done a better job, they could have. But nostalgia aside, this is a far superior effort from NRS than MK9 was. I was hoping for better than what we got, but I see no reason to be anything but optimistic when looking ahead at MK11. Injustice was better than MK9, and this was better than Injustice. NRS learns well from their mistakes.

Yeah, I realized after I posted that when I said '4 hours' I was including the time it took me to beat all the fights on normal difficulty.

And the comparison to MK9's story is always crazy to me because that's exactly it, yes -- that was like a Cliff's Notes of the first three games, with some extra bits as fanservice. We already know the plot and all about the characters, so there's no need to establish them particularly or spend a lot of time on who they are, what they want, etc. The MK3 section was particularly rushed, but it was okay because we already knew the gist of it from playing MK3.

But Vogel has 23 years of seniority over Kittelsen, plus Vogel has been there from the beginning. Seniority rules.

Seniority shmority.
Seniority doesn't excuse piss poor writing for 2 characters.
Regardless of "seniority," the fact remains that Vogel did a shit job with Kotal Kahn and Ferra / Torr, and Kittlesen did a MUCH better job of giving the characters a better origin story and explained them better.

Seniority shmority.
Seniority doesn't excuse piss poor writing for 2 characters.
Regardless of "seniority," the fact remains that Vogel did a shit job with Kotal Kahn and Ferra / Torr, and Kittlesen did a MUCH better job of giving the characters a better origin story and explained them better.
If "seniority" is the only reason that Vogel still has a job, then that's a terrible reason.

Veterans have special privileges not afforded to rookies. For that reason, Vogel's word is more canon than Kittelsen's.

And where on the game credits does Kittelsen's name show up?

Maybe it is time for Vogel to step off and for NRS to hire a new and more competent writer who can make the story of MK more interesting than "Green glow makes me a hero!".

Re: Story Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

If ANY of the original four can't write the story, then nobody can.

Veterans have special privileges not afforded to rookies.

The fact still remains, though, that if I didn't read the comics I'd still be in complete darkness regarding those 3 characters.
If I had to only depend on the MKX story mode to explain to me Kotal Kahn, Ferra / Torr and Erron Black, I'd still be going "What's the purpose of those 3?"
Ed Boon's whole rant about the "rise and fall" of Kotal Kahn with other characters on the roster also taking up the throne after him, is complete bullshit, and you know it.
There was no "fall" to Kotal Kahn's reign.

Kotal was written as a ruler who seemed to be more reasonable, but then the next moment he isn't reasonable, then he goes back and is reasonable.
I felt like Kotal Kahn didn't know who he wanted to be in MKX.
The MKX story mode still left me scratching my head regarding Ferra / Torr and Erron.
Those 3 show up for like 3 or 4 speaking scenes and with that nothing else is known about them.

Maybe it is time for Vogel to step off and for NRS to hire a new and more competent writer who can make the story of MK more interesting than "Green glow makes me a hero!".

Agreed.

Last edited: