Serious spoiler analysis now: about those NPC's...

I still haven't watched the whole story mode apart from a few scenes.

There are three characters in particular that caught my attention for several reasons: Tanya, Rain and Frost.

Look, all these characters were completely redesigned for X. Definitely not the same situation for the revenants. You even fight Tanya and Rain in an actual vs fight in the story mode. I am not getting it. They could have very well been part of the roster. Considering Kitana, Liu Kang and Kung Lao didn't even come back to life, they could have easily been out of this game.

Tanya is DLC, yes, fine (and quite honestly, she's now my most expected character out of the pack). But seriously what are the real chances of Rain and Frost being DLC at this point? It just feels incomplete to me quite honestly. The roster felt very unbalanced before and now more so. There really wasn't any particular reason for Tanya or Rain to be excluded from the final roster other than them not being popular enough and NRS not actually wanting them to be part of it.

I am a huge Tanya and Rain fan, I love Rain's new outfit. I am just feeling underwhelmed I cannot actually play him in this game, when you have a brand new Rain (albeit with MK9 specials that is) in the story mode. The same for Frost and Sareena, I mean: Sareena, the most under developped character of pre-MK9 games. Not to freaking mention Fujin, who's too eye-candy not to be playable.

The roster would feel much more awesome and unique with Rain, Tanya, Fujin, Sareena and Frost in it. I am not saying there are wasted spots or they should been there instead of X and Y. I am fine with those 25 characters. All I am saying is that NRS went the easy path (again of course). Now I get why they got pretty lazy with Kitana and Liu's variations. I guess I was expecting them to be more "Deception-ish" in X, but oh well...

What are your thoughts about this?

I would love to see Fujin, Rain and Sareena return as playable characters in a future DLC. Couldn't care less about Frost or Li Mei though.

It does surprise me Tanya didn't make the initial roster considering she seems to play a bigger part in the Story mode than anybody expected. I do think if there's gonna be more returning DLC it might be Fujin and Li Mei. However, I'd love to see Sareena get a proper chance

Yeah, and the fact they actually had the guts to say: "oh Tanya and Tremor were added due to fan demand", which is total bullcrap of course since she was actually being prepared. They could have very well worked on her early on if they wanted to, but the resources went to other characters I guess.

I hope that the fact they said Rain's chance would be less likely to be DLC again cause they wanna do as many new things as possible doesn't stop them from doing it again. I visit here, tym, mko and gamefaqs on a daily basis and it seems like the most requested ones are: Rain, Fujin, Smoke, Havik. for some reason Frost's demand seems loud too atm but I just don't see it happening, especially when ice has been used in three variations. the smaller groups are for Baraka, Noob Saibot and there seems to be a common group that wants a cyborg character with three variants of cyrax, smoke, sektor. so I kinda hope being loud helps Rain again, if you ask me he deserved to be on the initial roster in the first place with his new role but then again I am too biased

if he is what the people want, and it seems that way, him being DLC before should not stop NRS. honestly, his costume may be MKA inspired but it feels really unique. here's to hoping he comes back as DLC :D

there is also a rumour about the next batch being: Fujin, Smoke, Spawn and Crap Mei. hopefully that's not true when it comes to spawn and shit mei. spawn is awesome but two guests are already a lot, no matter how awesome or fitting they are and I'd much rather see Sareena than the vanilla mei. ideal pack: Fujin, Rain, Smoke, Sareena or Havik

And the third row could be like this, i am ready to pay 30 dollars for Fujin and Rain, Frost and Sereena..

Rain's costume is new. Period. Of course it feels different and unique. There's not much of his Armageddon look there, apart from being purple. That's like saying Scorpion's main costume is inspired by pretty much all his past yellow outfits.

I kinda like rain hes aight and would have preferred if more 3d era characters made it in especially fujin but you guys arent looking at the big picture. Of course across all the forums and such people want these characters but the forums dont even make up 10% of the people who will buy this game. Nrs is more focused on the majority. The majority who will again make liu kang, kitana, and kung lao among the most played as characters again. I doubt if they included the 3d era plus those guys that they would be used more. Kitana would still be the most used female and kung lao and liu kang would be top 5 for most used males.

there is also a rumour about the next batch being: Fujin, Smoke, Spawn and Crap Mei. hopefully that's not true when it comes to spawn and shit mei. spawn is awesome but two guests are already a lot, no matter how awesome or fitting they are and I'd much rather see Sareena than the vanilla mei. ideal pack: Fujin, Rain, Smoke, Sareena or Havik

I'd take Crap Mei over Sh!t Rain anyday of the week. He had his moment last game being DLC because of demand, hopefully Li Mei will be able to come back and prove herself in this game

I think if they had a good 6 more months to the game, we'd have a bunch of characters there. I feel that they just ran out of time.
I have almost no doubt that if they had plenty more time, Rain/Sindel/Li Mei/Tanya/Other NPCs would have been on the roster.

I think if they had a good 6 more months to the game, we'd have a bunch of characters there. I feel that they just ran out of time.
I have almost no doubt that if they had plenty more time, Rain/Sindel/Li Mei/Tanya/Other NPCs would have been on the roster.
This is why Capcom is right. I will gladly accept every year or two a pack of characters, stages, customes And some modes and rebalancing over waiting 4 years to start the cycle again. Much less hate in the community this way.

Rain's costume is new. Period. Of course it feels different and unique. There's not much of his Armageddon look there, apart from being purple. That's like saying Scorpion's main costume is inspired by pretty much all his past yellow outfits.

You're blind if you don't see the resemblance between his MKX and MKA costumes.

Ed Boon already said that they are not doing DLC repeats from MK9, so no Rain as DLC. I think having NPC are fine since Deception had characters like Quan Chi as NPC's.

I'd welcome the game coming out in September with all this characters being playable.

You're blind if you don't see the resemblance between his MKX and MKA costumes.

lol they are nothing alike. MKA and MKX Rain are more different than MK9 and MKX Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Raiden/Kano etc...

Last edited:
LOL Compare Raiden's MK9 and X costumes to Rain's Armageddon and X outfits. Then tell what are the most similar ones. You must not play Armageddon for a very looong time I suppose?

I don't see how Raiden's MK9 and MKX outfits being similar proves anything regarding Rain's appearance.

And I played Armageddon for years...even though that game sucked.

Mol they are nothing alike. MKA and MKX Rain are more different than MK9 and MKX Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Raiden/Kano etc...
Rain's MKX outfit is obviously a new one, but saying his MKX and MKA outfits are nothing alike is wrong. And again, I don't see how those other characters prove anything (Kano looks fairly different, actually).