IGN bashing the game already

C-Sword

From IGN

I've seen Injustice: Gods Among Us and while it was nowhere near its 2013 release date, I'm not impressed. Yes, it's a cool trailer, but the fighting itself seems a few years behind the curve.

Last year's Mortal Kombat marked a return to greatness for the franchise and for NetherRealm -- the game corrected the problems of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Bones exploded in grotesque x-rays, blood gushed, and the action looked fluid. The snippet of Injustice I saw did none of that and really looked like a step backward. Wonder Woman lifelessly rocked back and forth, heat vision didn't seem all that damning, and the few matches I saw seemed predictable.

See, each Injustice arena has two or three sections for fighters to transition between -- you can go from the main floor of the Batcave to the boat dock below or kick an opponent through a city building to a different part of town. But these didn't seem like spur of the moment events. You have to have a build up to it and then watch the animation play out as an elevator slowly rises and we see it shaking and hear sound effects. Similarly, there are objects in the environments that you can use against your opponent, but you have to be in the exact right spot to grab the car and slam it on the foe. It all seems stiff -- like you'd tell your friend "Ooo, come over here and let me do this move!" They seem like forgettable gimmicks you'll rarely really use; kind of like button-tapping "Free Fall Kombat" in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

And then there are super moves. A lot of people got hung up on why Superman could be hurt by Batman in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, but as a comic fan it never bothered me. He was worn down by magic -- explained, move on. However, Superman's Injustice supermove has him throw the opponent into space, fly up and slam the bad guy or gal back to the arena. How is anyone supposed to contend with that? Of course, according to Boon, "We're obviously going to have a pretty elaborate story," so maybe I'll eat my words.

But perhaps I'm being too hard on Injustice -- this is the first time it's ever been seen, I didn't play it, and there are cool aspects to the game. For the starters, everyone's costume seems darker, making me think we're in a parallel world without justice -- Crime Syndicate style. Wonder Woman can switch between lasso attack and sword/shield stuff, Solomon Grundy yanks knives from his back for attacks, and even though I wasn't impressed with environmental moves, they do vary by character (Batman will slam your head into the car, Wonder Woman will slam the car onto you).

Still, Boon told me back in 2010, "While [Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe] performed well, it certainly created a hunger or a lust for a little bit more bloodshed and a little bit more of what Mortal Kombat has been notorious for." Although this isn't a Mortal Kombat game, it seems to me like it's going to leave people in the exact same spot. This is a T-rated fighter that looks a lot like Mortal Kombat, but it's lacking the brutality that makes that game standout.

But again, maybe Boon will make me eat my words.

"To be honest, it's going to have more blood than we had in there today," he said. "Our environments are going to be damaged, but the characters will also have damage on them as well. It's going to be a pretty brutal experience. Our goal is to push the envelope of what we can do."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/injustice-supermanbatman-as-a-step-backward

Two things..

1- Screw IGN, but..

2- I kind of agree. The game just doesn't look that great to me. I don't know how this dork can call it 'stiff' if he hasn't played it though. To me it just looks kinda.. Meh. Not bad. But not great either. Definitely doesn't look on par with MK or it's initial trailer. What I can say I really do like about it though is the costumes. They look slick, and aerodynamic. Much better than the plain ass MKvsDC ones.

The cut scenes mid fight make it look like a cool concept for an action game... I thought they learned in MKvDC that players don't really want to take a break mid kombat and watch pretty graphics play out (aside from x-rays) though the Superman move was an awesome cinematic.

As a fighter I'm not sure, but make an action game out of it and I'd be sold right now.

He had some good points, but the "It looks like Mortal Kombat so it needs to be brutal like Mortal Kombat" was just plain stupid.

Capcom makes Dead Rising & Street Fighter, but nobody is complaining about the lack of gore in Street Fighter.

Why were they so negative on a preview? Don't they know that the game is coming out till 2013 :laugh:

If anything, be neutral. Having the title of the article be: "Injustice: Superman/Batman as a Step Backward" sounds more like a review title that a preview title if anything. I think the main problem people are gonna have with Injustice is treating it as a separate game since NRS is working on it. Its not really a fair stance to take, but hopefully people will be able to separate the two and view MK9 and Injustice as two separate games. At least the author admitted that he may have been a bit harsh; I'm no top journalist but to me a preview should state things about the game rather than judge it off the bat, especially if you haven't had hands on time with it.

im not to keen on taking IGN's word on anything since they bashed mk9 more for the same and stupid problems other fighting games have like the "outdated character models" (im pretty sure from mk3 to 9 sektor looks pretty different and yet they don't get on Street fighter about this) and the cheap bosses (EVERY FIGHTING GAME HAS EM!). but on to this yeah IGN's opinion should be taken with 1/4 a grain of salt. even though they made a few points worth looking at overall all we got to see is teaser gameplay and a few in development screenshots so i won't call this game off just yet.

This game doesnt look bad, im surprised they went with this type of game, i expected something original,fresh like a new rpg or genre thats not fighting but this game has potential to be a great fighting game. I just hope they dont include any mk characters, i feel like if they do the game will feel old fast regardless how good the gameplay is.

So the guy's basically whining because this isn't going to be M-rated. Why the hell would it be M-rated? If DC was cool with its characters violently ripping each other apart, MK vs. DC would've been M-rated. Use some freaking sense.

Oh well. IGN's full of shit; nothing new.

only problem I can see with this game is that there may be too much emphasis on the stage destruction moves and it could get in the way of the real fighting, making the game too casual friendly. Thats the only thing I agree with what was said in this article.

Everything else he said, he has no idea what he is talking about such as stiff gameplay and "taking a step back". As there was hardly anything shown. I agree with the what was said about the overuse of gimmicks, but play the demo before you criticize the actuall gameplay.

I read their little quip yesterday but did not think of it too much. The game still have a year left for a release. I think it is just IGN trying to egg them on and push the envelope. I never have seen such bashing in a preview for a game that is so far away, that we only got a little glimpse of.

also, it should be noted that IGN werent too big on MK9 in the first place, so we really shouldnt care what they have to say about this anyway.