Should mk 9 have focus attacks?

COLBYA

what do you guys think? considering there is dashing, think there should be focus attacks, for combos or whatever else in mortal kombat 9.

Go

According to what I heard in the past, there sorta are focus attacks in MK. Any of your special moves can be charged. In SSFIV it is done by pressing and holding medium kick and punch together for a period of time to perform an attack that can stun/ give you an opening for offense, not quite a full-blown special move.

According to what I heard in the past, there sorta are focus attacks in MK. Any of your special moves can be charged. In SSFIV it is done by pressing and holding medium kick and punch together for a period of time to perform an attack that can stun/ give you an opening for offense, not quite a full-blown special move.

That sounds more like the MK equivalent to EX moves.

Short answer: hell no.

Long(er) answer: what's the point? MK is a game with stun moves up the wazoo, so I don't a reason to bother with something like that. If they want everyone to have a stun move, why not just give them unique stun moves of the freeze/harpoon/telekinetic slam variety rather than a boring one that everyone else has too?

Either way, I'm not a fan of focus attacks in the slightest.

Not only is that a strictly Street Fighter thing, but it's a Street Fighter 4 thing. It's not like parrying or combo breakers where they are real life concepts adopted by many fighting games. It's an abstract video game concept used as a hallmark of only one franchise. X-Ray moves are already similar enough to Ultra Combos, and they ditched the pro-moves for Ex-style advanced attacks, but a lot of games have stuff like that. Focus attacks in MK wouldn't be completely out of place, but they would be a game mechanic lifted directly from SF4. The Mortal Kombat team has been doing a good enough job of not overly-mining Street Fighter for ideas (compared to other 2D franchises especially) it shouldn't start taking from them arbitrarily. Things like juggling attacks that freeze or pop up the opponent for extra hits are ideas started by MK. I think going in the direction of new ideas (even when they don't ALWAYS work) is the right way to go.

Yeah it should. Also lets make all the ninjas throw a ball of energy, do a flying uppercut, and spin kicks in mid-air.