The Player's Help Guide

Re: The Official "I Quit" Thread

Yeah, I have been having problems with people who enjoy using that insane force lift combo with Ermac. (*Looks at Sig and avatar.* Wait a second....) But yeah, I remember a king of the hill match I was in, the guy on top was always Ermac. Everybody kept giving him a bad score because he just wasn't fun to play against. Plus, everytime I want to try a combo on him, I end up getting force lifted into another combo. Any suggestions?

BTW, Kenshi's first fatality is AWESOME.

Yeah, I have been having problems with people who enjoy using that insane force lift combo with Ermac. (*Looks at Sig and avatar.* Wait a second....) But yeah, I remember a king of the hill match I was in, the guy on top was always Ermac. Everybody kept giving him a bad score because he just wasn't fun to play against. Plus, everytime I want to try a combo on him, I end up getting force lifted into another combo. Any suggestions?

BTW, Kenshi's first fatality is AWESOME.

Dash block to get in and try and trick out some cross overs and NEVER JUMP IN! And when an Ermac player uses the B2,2 wait for the Kick before stopping block unless you think he will stop it. Alot of people let go of block before the kick and get 43% combo'd at a minimum. Also Ermac players will make good use of the 1,2,1 and stop at 1,2 and grab watch for that as well. Basic advice yes, but it's really all you need to know aside from learning your opponents habits. Hope this helps.

The thing with Ermac is his only real option to start a combo is with the Force Lift, most people do not understand how to dash block and will proceed to get lifted and then beaten. I hate playing Ermac, purely because all I see is Force Lift into the same combo, having said that, I don't care to message people or call them a spammer, you play the game how you want and if someone can't deal with it then it's their problem.

If your using Sub-Zero against a teleporting Raiden or Kung Lao, place a clone and get INFRONT of it, that way your opponent will teleport into the clone which gives you a free combo, they will soon change their strategies.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Sheeva teleport? If you are using it and having problem with recovery time then you need to pick better situations to use it, for example catching someone whilst their throwing a projectile. If your being abused by the teleport stomp then I'd clone it up with Sub-Zero, since he jumps backwards, he will be out of the way and Sheeva will stomp the clone. If that doesn't work and your opponent decides teleport stomp is all they can use, pick Kitana and spam the hell out of her square wave dash, it will trump the teleport everytime.

Sub's clone vs Sheeva's stomp might work against someone who isn't used to using Sheeva. But when I play a Sub and they try this, I control where I end up with her by holding forward or back mid jump stomp. Sub will move backwards, away from his clone, and that's where I'll land, not on the clone.

Good thread OP +1

Nice idea , dude !

My advices for people that want to quit a game (Mk 2011) that, lol, is still fresh and newborn ! :

- Be cool under pressure .... in fact, why feel pressured ? Are you losing money, when you lose in MK 2011 online ? Are you losing something in real life, when you are losing 10 in a row against spammers online ? hehe, you know that the logical and normal answer is .... NOPE !!

- Everyone loses in this game, even, the champions , pro players, top high level dudes .... Tom Brady already lost, Justin Wong already lost, Chris G already lost, damn, even Michaelangelo already lost some matches before turning champion 3 times in a row !! You think it's not normal to lose, before, getting better and improving ? Sorry for strip you off from all illusions, but, YEAH, losing is part of the plan, and helps to give incentive to get better, to identify mistakes and to point your weakness, the holes in your gameplay ..... so, the same attitude of satisfaction you have when you destroy people online, when losing, you should stay calm and cool , you know you can try again whatever times you want, so, what's the matter, the big deal, if you lose , before you win ? lol

- You have hard time getting out from spamming gameplay, cheap tactics, broken combos ? Do you study the game deep to know how to do the same tactics that spammers do against you, so, you tried to plan how to escape from that ? If you have to dispute spamming X spamming against , lol, spammers, you can do that ? Do you have a minimal interesting in learning others characters, to know against who you are figthing against ? For example, If you never spent time with Kung Lao in Training Mode, Arcade Ladder, and some matches online, you don't understand him (Kung Lao), don't know how to deal with his pressure game, don't know how to defend properly against him, and so, start to complain like a spoiled baby, instead of refine your knowledge about this game ..... Sad but true.

- Emotional control - that's the key. This is a videogame, not a racing car dispute, so, you are not in dangerous never, the game is simple : you should play fast, act fast, and try to make none mistake, or , if unavoidable, just little mistakes that can make you come back and still win the match .... the game punishes hard who do more mistakes, so, the one who wins a match in the end, is the same that did none or less mistakes than you, and so, that players deserved to win, and you, to lose ..... Plain and simple ..... wanna win next time ? You can, if you overcome your opponent, doing better than he did before.

- A win is a win, and a loss is a loss ..... A win is always your merit, and a loss, always your fault. Learn to live through that and accept the facts how they are ....... otherwise, you will moan and complain always, as a boring childish kid

- Nobody starts Godlike good in this game, everyone bought the game more or less in the same epoch, but, some people, trainning more, learning more, and have more humility being humble, accepting losses, trying to improve, and , paying attention in details ..... that's it. It's not shame to admit you are still "green" and need more time and experience ..... sometimes things get worse before getting better, it's a question/matter to have patience with.

- The primary goal / objective for this game , is having fun with ..... competitive issues are not obligatory for this game, but, it's appreciated, anyway, it's a option and secondary stuff ..... nobody is obligated to put a hell of pro fight level every time .... shit happens sometimes, so, just relax.

- Living and learning, so, getting better in this game is associated with having more and more experience with it, so, don't feel bad now, the tendency is that you can improve along the time.

- If none of these stuff above works for ya, so, just stick with offline playing with friends and against AI ..... online definitely is not for you !!

XD :D

I'm glad someone took the time to make this thread cuz I was really getting sick of all the quitters blow up on here when all they need is practice and superior MK players' knowledge.

My friend and I call it "Basic Mortal Kombat Knowledge" (lol) n we've used it since MK1. Beginners need to learn the basics first instead of coming out here and trying to do a bunch of special moves and combos. No matter who you're playing, any game can be won with patience by utilizing blocking, throws, sweeps, and uppercuts.

Some beginners can't even move around without jumping accidently the whole time. It sux when you see a friend that doesn't play too much jump everytime they try a down, back, x.

These people should stay away from online until they've learned the basics and can beat an arcade ladder on hard, but if they attempt to try it, then good for them.

Basicly, I'm just sick of the *****ing, so do something about it...and that's why I'm glad you made this thread. :)

I've never quit a match, even when lagging like mad or getting my a$$ handed to me. I simply wait for the match to be over and don't rematch. Have respect for the other player.

I've never quit a match, even when lagging like mad or getting my a$$ handed to me. I simply wait for the match to be over and don't rematch. Have respect for the other player.

This, just finish the current match you're fighting, and, if you don't feel like doing a rematch, just leave next, pushing NO in rematch options. Simple like that.

When I go online and try a juggle i keep dropping it because of the lag, making me look kinda stupid. So I usually stick to offline play. I have very few rl friends that play mk and those who do just pick [insert character that has a teleport move], to keep spamming teleport after teleport, even after i punish about 3 in a row they just stick to teleport. I still like offline play and looking for new combos in practice but sometimes i would like to face an avarage player without lag...

Every time I put the game in I put it on Ladder (Expert) and play until I beat the 5th guy on the ladder. Then I hope online. Either that or jump on practice-expert and fight KL (usually) for like 10mins then hop online..

Scorpion's a ***** to play online. Way over-powered.
He has a teleport witch causes damage, the spear move witch causes damages plus allows scorpion to start a combo. un-blockable demon fire, and a air grab. someone could only know those moves and kick some ass. and the worse part is pretty much 70% of everyone who plays online. plays with scorpion. I've killed alot of of scorpions online, but at the same time, I've been pwned by alot of scorpions as well.

Well thats why I mained Mileena, I've defeated a lot of Scorpion freaks with her. Just use her dirty tactics and awesome roll to escape that fire or teleport. No biggie.

After trying over and over again (over 50 times i think!!!) i will skip that damn challenge #300. I have completed all the other challenge but i am not able to pass Mileena. I don't have the patience anymore to try it unless someone give me an easy way to beat it with any characters!!!

After trying over and over again (over 50 times i think!!!) i will skip that damn challenge #300. I have completed all the other challenge but i am not able to pass Mileena. I don't have the patience anymore to try it unless someone give me an easy way to beat it with any characters!!!

I main mileena and her teleport and ball roll are easily punished. Be patient and anticipate the ball roll. Low block that ***** and go to town. Same with her teleport. Learn to dash block because if you crouch block against mileena youre gonna get caught with her overhead split. Also in the first 2 rounds against goro and kintaro keep moving! Keep crossing goro up with jump kicks he'll throw out that spinning fist combo usually right after he gets up so jump over it and punish it. Uppercuts are good after his ground pound and you can usually catch him with another one or two while hes getting up. Kintaro keep away from him anticipate the teleport and dont jump or dash until the last possible second then punish it. Get through those first two rounds with most of your health intact and save your X-Ray for Mileena. Then go to town on her ass! Shao Kahn I always keep distance from him because it triggers his taunt and if you can close the distance fast you can get a quick combo in. BNB combos are best dont try anything you can screw up cuz you'll be eating a hammer or shoulder ram. Rush in bust his ass and get out. Rinse and repeat and watch the hammer throw and you should be good!

Well thats why I mained Mileena, I've defeated a lot of Scorpion freaks with her. Just use her dirty tactics and awesome roll to escape that fire or teleport. No biggie.

Thats one of my mains as well. Online people get courageous and careless with that spear which is so easily punishable with Millenas Tele-Kick and ballroll. And once youve got em up even with lag I can hit the ball roll, up+4, 1,1,2, neckbite. Which is so easy to pull and does decent damage. I hit that and most players start crouch blocking which leaves them open for a grab or up+4. She isnt the fastest of the females but has easy combos that you can land consistently. Shes way underrated IMO.

I main mileena and her teleport and ball roll are easily punished. Be patient and anticipate the ball roll. Low block that ***** and go to town. Same with her teleport. Learn to dash block because if you crouch block against mileena youre gonna get caught with her overhead split. Also in the first 2 rounds against goro and kintaro keep moving! Keep crossing goro up with jump kicks he'll throw out that spinning fist combo usually right after he gets up so jump over it and punish it. Uppercuts are good after his ground pound and you can usually catch him with another one or two while hes getting up. Kintaro keep away from him anticipate the teleport and dont jump or dash until the last possible second then punish it. Get through those first two rounds with most of your health intact and save your X-Ray for Mileena. Then go to town on her ass! Shao Kahn I always keep distance from him because it triggers his taunt and if you can close the distance fast you can get a quick combo in. BNB combos are best dont try anything you can screw up cuz you'll be eating a hammer or shoulder ram. Rush in bust his ass and get out. Rinse and repeat and watch the hammer throw and you should be good!

I think high blocking ball roll is okay too. AI Mileena uses very few moves that you need to block low and when you block low she'll use the overhead attack so just block high as much as possible against her attacks. And if you really can't beat it just wait till the lose screen comes up and hit retry, after you do that a couple of times it gets easier and you'll get some health back after defeating someone. Good luck!

This, just finish the current match you're fighting, and, if you don't feel like doing a rematch, just leave next, pushing NO in rematch options. Simple like that.

I am the exact same way. Ive never dropped or rage quit out of any matches. The only disconnects I have are from de-sync issues online. Even if I get my ass handed to me the first match I usually play 3 matches regardless. Worst case scenario I get 3 losses but losing teaches you way more than winning ever could. Ive learned alot just playing and losing against way better players. People get so worried about wins/losses Id rather play and learn and have more losses. Because its gonna make you better and eventually your wins will surpass your losses because you've got some well learned wisdom. Remember wisdom is experience and it cant be taught only learned. Dont be afraid to lose every once in awhile.

I think high blocking ball roll is okay too. AI Mileena uses very few moves that you need to block low and when you block low she'll use the overhead attack so just block high as much as possible against her attacks. And if you really can't beat it just wait till the lose screen comes up and hit retry, after you do that a couple of times it gets easier and you'll get some health back after defeating someone. Good luck!

Yeah I keep forgetting the ball roll can be blocked high. Which doesnt make much sense but I guess it'd be way overpowered and easy to spam if you had to low block it. And getting a little health back after every round could be the difference between winning and losing.

I found Mileena the easiest in this battle ironically, I kept losing against Kintaro or Shao Kahn until the 10th match or so when they just taunted repeatedly for an easy win. Liberal use of standing block is the key, I spent most my time uppercutting her blocked teleports. The only time it gets fiddly is when you have the "no block" forced on you, then I tried to slow her down with some sweeps and lots of running away!

Once my opponent gets me in a rushdown spree (mostly in the corner), I get destroyed. I have no idea how I can break out of such a chain of combo's. I've tried using breakers, but they haven't worked out most of the time. Any tips in dealing with such situations?

I'm not sure who you are referring to, or who you play as, so I'll use a scenario that's all too common in matches I normally play. Let's say I'm Sub Zero, and the other guy is Reptile. (Just for the sake of argument) The number one thing that's going to help you in these situations is to not be pushed into corner to begin with; combo breakers are nifty tools when you find yourself being juggled, but once that meter is gone you are going to be hard pressed to get it back once they get you in another combo again. Blocking and timing are your friends here, as well as studying you're opponent's combo strings and behavior. Does he perform the same combo over and over again? So he have a certain string he/she likes to use to get you into the air, or back you into the corner? Reptile would love to catch me in a 1, 1, acid ball --- so on and so forth, and just juggle the crap out of until there is no escape, especially when you are stuck in the corner and they can perform heavier attacks without having to worry about you falling. By timing your blocks and studying their moves, you will know when to block high or low, and essentially prevent them from stringing something together, and remember, when you are trapped in a corner, combo breaker also tends to knock them away, so use those few seconds to your advantage and MOVE. Dashing into a combo would be more preferable than to jump around, but if you're character has teleport, it'd be wise to use it as a wake up attack, or to at least end up behind them so you are'nt permenantly stuck in that corner. It takes practice, but don't give up, just keep trying!

Awesome thread man! Saw a guy post the other night sayin he was quitting and wished I couldve helped him out but I didnt feel like I couldve helped him. Im not a noob or a scrub by any means. I guess Im an intermediate player and still have alot to learn before I consider myself advanced. But by no means do I think Im an authority and better players may have been able to help him. And with 3 kids I dont get much time to play online. So its good to hear theres a thread where people wont bust your balls and call you a noob or make jokes @ your expense because you dont live online. I think alot of people give up instead of seeking out better players for advice, for fear of being chastised. Because alot of players can be *******s that would rather boast and call you a Noob than lend a helping hand. So hats off to you sir!

Well no worries sir, this is a 'flame free' soon, fire proof and bullet proof I may add! Trolling or busting of the balls will not be tolerated here, and my goal is to help these people in any I can rather than watch them constantly get burned. This is a forum, people go to forums seeking help and advice on how to better their game. No one is being helped when they are constantly being put down for their skill. We all started on the low end of the totem poll, so lets try and give people credit and help them out when we can.

Hey guys,

Nice thread! In my own opinion I'm a pretty decent player. I'm currently ranked 150 or so in ranked matches. That said, I'm still having a lot of trouble with Kung Lao and especially Raiden with the teleport and superman attack. Any tips or pointers? I'm an Ermac/Sub Zero player. I also find myself confused by the lack of recovery time on Sheeva's teleport stomp. Is there a good way to handle this?

I've been called a spammer (mostly while using Ermac) by a lot of people online. I was wondering if there is any truth in this or if people are just looking for excuses. The way I see it, it's zoning. My strategy revolves around keeping players at a good distance for the jump in 43% combo with the force push and switching the 43% combo with the low kick 3 hit combo. Are there any other strategies I should consider?

If you're defending yourself and keeping them out of distance, you're zoning. If you're keeping them at a distance to set yourself up for a combo, or to look for high damage output opportunities, then you're zoning. If you're using the same special over and over again, with no real use of combos other than teleport lift and push, and these are the only two things you do during the match, even when they fail or you know it will fail, then that's spamming. Ermac is a crazy character because he has sooo many tools under his belt, and he's tricky and unpredictable at times. People are going to hate on you whether you win or lose, and they'll look for any excuse to blame someone else for their lack of skill so that they do not have to blame themselves. This prevents them from becomming better players because they refuse to see the truth for what it is, and by reading your discription, I don't see you spamming, though I would try to learn 1-2 more combo set ups so you become less predictable. (Ask an Ermac player for help in that area)

As for Raiden, especially playing a Sub Zero player, I've recently learned that being more aggressive than defensive in those type of match ups seems to help out A LOT. Ice clones are almost useless unless you know they are pressing a combo on you and you can pop one off on time, but the key to Raiden's teleport is to block AS he is teleporting, that way your character will be facing the right direction when he teleports rather than being caught off guard and he attacks you from beind. You can also jump over his superman, but i'd rather block. It takes good timing, but when you block the superman becomes punishable rather than jumping over it and he ends up across the screen, in which he will probably end up just teleporting behind you again.

As for Sheeva, she is a very slow character. When she jumps into the air and reaches off-screen, jump forward once. She should land just directly behind you, and you can counter any way you wish. I do believe it's unblocking, so don't try standing there and just blocking. Dashing may I also work but I've never tried it. Training mode is your friend in these kind of situations, so use your time wisely!