The Lazyiness of MK9's Fatalities and more...

Im okay with the fatalities solely because ive missed the gore that was missing from MK vs. DC. Otherwise, i would be complaining a little bit more like some of you. Like DCR, im cool with the dismemberments and stuff (would like to see some other types of death like we have seen in MK) but at least make it more detailed, they hype up the unique internal modelling, so i better see something like Cyrax's energy source being pulled out (like a huge battery or something) instead of a heart, when Kano performs his fatality... I also agree with Jarvis, deadlines are a nuisance, and i think it is somewhat of a valid excuse. Us as fans have a lot to ask, and they can only answer so much. Shit wont be as detailed as others, but they are trying to accommodate the most important concerns and wants that we ask for. Hopefully they can fix the fatalities with DLC patches and such, but overall im not overly impressed, nor am i overly disappointed. We wanted a gory mortal kombat back, and we are getting it.

Im okay with the fatalities solely because ive missed the gore that was missing from MK vs. DC. Otherwise, i would be complaining a little bit more like some of you. Like DCR, im cool with the dismemberments and stuff (would like to see some other types of death like we have seen in MK) but at least make it more detailed, they hype up the unique internal modelling, so i better see something like Cyrax's energy source being pulled out (like a huge battery or something) instead of a heart, when Kano performs his fatality... I also agree with Jarvis, deadlines are a nuisance, and i think it is somewhat of a valid excuse. Us as fans have a lot to ask, and they can only answer so much. Shit wont be as detailed as others, but they are trying to accommodate the most important concerns and wants that we ask for. Hopefully they can fix the fatalities with DLC patches and such, but overall im not overly impressed, nor am i overly disappointed. We wanted a gory mortal kombat back, and we are getting it.

Agree completely. Some of the fatalities are good to me, some are just disappointments IMO. Whether they improve them won't really matter to me, I just want a gory mortal kombat really. I just hope they won't try to milk money from DLC fatalities (scratch that, they probably will) which I would buy in a heartbeat, but I would really want the more impressive ones to be on the disc. (That being said, I love Mileena's fatality so far. :D)

However, this game is supposed to be 'hooked in' (or whatever the phrase), right? So there shouldn't be any problem updating it post-release. Our opinions and their potential for change won't have to end at the 'final product'. Unless I'm wrong about everything remaining modifiable, but I assume all parts of the game can be updated.

I hope (Fatality-wise) that you are right, and they have some of the hooks in to modify or update the fatalities, post-release.
The gameplay looks really good to me.
So far out of the costumes, backgrounds, gameplay and fatalities, my only complaint is the unoriginality of the fatalities between Scorpion, Kitana, and Cyrax.

Well, if they do update/rotate fatalities through a patch, I would assume it wouldn't be free, honestly.

Well, if they do update/rotate fatalities through a patch, I would assume it wouldn't be free, honestly.

It would absolutely be free, just like any other update. They're not extra fatalities, but the same ones simply adjusted due to fan demand.

Unfortunately, I can't recall a game being 'creatively' updated before; only actual graphics errors addressed. But it's not out of the question, especially if such updates were what was originally intended by the developers.

I agree 100% with the OP the Fatalities r easily the most disappointing aspect of the game they need serious work

Adjun im just curious bro is ur beef with MK9 only with the fatalities or other portions of the game?

Since you asked, there are some other aspects of the graphics I'm not happy about. So far I am quite happy with the juggling system they have in place so I'm not too concerned for the the fighting engine itself. But I'm noticing these graphic inconsistencies and its becoming annoying and reminiscent of all the other 3D MKs.

Kitana's Hair - Her hair is crap. It is a big black blob that bobs uncontrollably. I would love to see it glide and flow like real hair. And it also suffers from bad clipping like when Nightwolf does his head decapitation on her and her hair blob falls straight through his wrists as he's holding up her head.

Kitana's Fans - They just look cheap. I would love to see some detail to them such as dragon prints or designs, or maybe even a textured look of silk that is semi-transparent.
weapons-chinese-weapons-fighting-fans-a-metal-dragon.jpg

Scorpion's Air Spear - The animation for this is weak at best. It looks like his opponent is a kite that lost its air and is falling to the ground, (as seen in the Fatality Trailer for the MK9 widget) yet in the cinematic scenes he yanks them to the ground with a slam using his other arm. (as seen in the Kratos cinematic trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89MzjFCxJJY&t=0m58s)

Scorpion's Hell Flame - Again, it just doesn't seem to 'flow' with the combat and comes off as a cheap move move to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYgTycrm1NY&t=0m21s

Internal Damage of Cyborgs - I would love to see the cyborgs rendered internally during x-ray moves instead of just using the same innards as the human combatants.

Just real quick, I may add my thoughts later but I'm stressed for time right now.

Those aren't accurate cut points. There are actually more than you put. Here is an image I captured from a youtube video showing a presentation Hector gave about some of the tech behind the new MK.

dismember_tech.jpg

As you can see there are more cuts that can be made to the torso and the head (like Shaun Himmerick stated in an interview) can be cut at the mouth.

Just throwing this out there so we're all in the know! :)

Last edited:
Just real quick, I may add my thoughts later but I'm stressed for time right now.

Those aren't accurate cut points. There are actually more than you put. Here is an image I captured from a youtube video showing a presentation Hector gave about some of the tech behind the new MK.

dismember_tech.jpg

As you can see there are more cuts that can be made to the torso and the head (like Shaun Himmerick stated in an interview) can be cut at the mouth.

Thanks for the correction! It unfortunately just compounds the fact that NRS is truly focusing on using the cut points for their fatalities exclusively. Can you post a link to the vid? Would love to watch it.

Thanks in advance!

dismember_tech.jpg

Good call, I think some of them are great and some of them are not so great however it is more important to me that they get the core gameplay up to snuff then it is to pull a Fatality on someone as entertaining as they can be.

It would absolutely be free, just like any other update. They're not extra fatalities, but the same ones simply adjusted due to fan demand.

Unfortunately, I can't recall a game being 'creatively' updated before; only actual graphics errors addressed. But it's not out of the question, especially if such updates were what was originally intended by the developers.

Actually. They updated Hydrophobia into almost a new game. but it doesn't change the fact that they wouldn't change anything (most probably) graphic-wise in a console game.

Can you post a link to the vid? Would love to watch it.

Thanks in advance!

For sure! Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UlZeDlRjzk

The footage of the dismembered body is at the very end of the video but the whole video is a pretty cool watch. It's a bit grainy but cool nonetheless!

Also of note, don't be too impressed with the "go-go lighting" technique Hector shows off. That is a feature of the Unreal Engine 3 and has been ever since it was released. It may be new for the MK team but that lighting technique has always been available in the Unreal Engine 3. As seen here.

Enjoy!

Y'know, I gotta agree with Taj. I'm just glad we're getting back the gore we know and love.

However, I wouldn't be complaining if they put PiranhaSoldier's Ermac fatality in the game. :D LOL

So it definitely sounds like, from the video you linked Kamal, that NRS are really just focusing on using the cut points in all the fatalities. Really a bummer for me. I always hoped they would go toward the edge of elaborate and creative when it came to the finishers for this new installment.

"...don't be too impressed with the "go-go lighting" technique Hector shows of..."

That's right! I'm really enjoying Epic's _GOBO_ lighting system in all the _other_ Unreal Engine Games Running at 60fps. Oh wait, there are no other Unreal 60fps games because it is apparently nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get that engine running on consoles that fast. I'm sure their programming team just uses stock Epic to create MK and in no way had to rewrite the feature from scratch as they have mentioned at their GDC presentations. Right?

..."piranhasoldier isn't using millions of dollars to do his work either and it looks aesthetically better than the current fatalities in mk9."

Good call! It is great that piranhasoldier ran those fatalities in _real time_ using the game engine, again at 60fps, instead of using an offline tool like after effects to render a movie that took many, many minutes to render! Do any of us actually know how game development works? Anyone wonder why the Avatar video game didn't look as realistic as the Avatar movie?

So it definitely sounds like, from the video you linked Kamal, that NRS are really just focusing on using the cut points in all the fatalities. Really a bummer for me.

Yeah I really hope that's not the case as well. With some characters it just doesn't make sense. As an example, I would love Sindel to use a sonic scream for her Fatality but we'll probably be bummed if she does have it because instead of the flesh ripping off, we'll just see the characters limbs get knocked off just like her Deception Fatality :(

I don't like the Fatalities where you expect to see something (ie the skin being ripped off) but instead because of their focus on a certain type of technology you see the body just get blown apart in chunks. One could argue that neither is realistic but it's a hell of a lot more feasible to see your skin ripped off before your limbs. I wish they had tech to peel skin off. I'm still hoping they they have some Fatality tech they can't show to the public because of the violence level or because they simply want to keep them under wraps.

That's one thing I was hoping for when this MK announced and actually before that. Feasible Fatalities! MK 4 was on the right track but they've just lost it after that with Fatalities like Sub-Zero's skeleton rip, Bo Rai Cho's where he spits fire and the characters limbs fall off in predetermined points and Sindel's scream that knocks limbs off etc...

I know MK is not realistic when it comes to the blood and gore and I don't ask it to be. What I do ask is that the Fatalities be feasible. Like Sindel's scream actually resulting in a skinned body or a Fatality involving fire, burning the character down to a charred skeleton instead of just having the character model fall apart at predetermined dismember points.

"...don't be too impressed with the "go-go lighting" technique Hector shows of..."

That's right! I'm really enjoying Epic's _GOBO_ lighting system in all the _other_ Unreal Engine Games Running at 60fps. Oh wait, there are no other Unreal 60fps games because it is apparently nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get that engine running on consoles that fast. I'm sure their programming team just uses stock Epic to create MK and in no way had to rewrite the feature from scratch as they have mentioned at their GDC presentations. Right?

Haha WOW! Why so much hate buddy??

I was talking about the lighting technique itself. Did I say their engineers and programmers were crappy?? No. Did I say it looked like crap? No. All I said was to not be "too impressed" by it. So I was stating it was impressive, just not mind blowingly so, like it was made out to be.

You made a lot of assumptions about what I said... The lighting itself is what I was talking about. Everyone here knows they had to hack apart and customize the hell out of the Unreal Engine to get it to work for a 60fps fighting game and that is indeed quite the feat.

Next time, try not to overreact, make assumptions and hate on peoples posts. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MK3/UMK3/Mk trilogy was the "explosions with billion bones" fatalities.
MK9 is the weird extremely unesasary cuts everywhere fatalitys.

You guys should of heard the interview with Hector Sanchez where he says "the game is still in development and the fatalities are still a work in progress.