Some things to think about to improve your skills

Whats better the controller or the fightstick? I currently use the controller and when i play online it seems that when i try to do a move its not working and i know im doing it right. I have lost so many matches this way and i was wondering if the fightstick was worth getting.

I cannot comment much on the controller vs Fightstick for this game. But if it helps in street fighter I picked up fight stick for the sole purpose of being able to play multi-platform and not feel out of my element at tournaments. changing from ps3 to xbox when your not use to it using a normal remote can be extremely awkward.

Fightstick allows you to jump platforms and still feel the same

but if all you care about is execution. I suggest normal remote control. I would say fight stick, but fight sticks help out more hitting the buttons(for example i have a easier time with chun-li's EX rapid kicks with fight stick), but a ps3 D-pad is so much more reliable.

if you're not use to joystick you might end up doing a diagnal input when you believe you are doing a forward one. I've jumped a few times when I didnt' even want to in street fighter using a Joystick. NEVER happened to me with remote.

IMO. If you are already use to using the controller I suggest sticking to it. IF you're not use to it. Try the fight stick. changing to the fightstick when you are already use to the contoller is a waste of time to relearn. Especially if you don't care about traveling to tournaments where they may run the tournament on a console you aren't use to.

If it's online fighting... I always say it's best to blame urself for mistiming even if it's online. But you gotta remember... online can still mess up your combos lol.

I really need someone to train me against ermac.

I'm REALLY starting to despise him.

There are so many ermac try-hards online it's not even funny =\
I have an ok ermac. I can teach you stuff if you play on playstation?

before i even opened the thread, i knew it was going to be some bullshet that condones cheap play. that's the reason why online sucks so much now. in shooters, most people are camping instead of going for the objectives, in madden, people just run the same 3 or 4 money plays, and in fighters, people just look up one long combo on youtube and try to spam it over and over. no point in downloading the compatibility pack for this shetty community.....betches

before i even opened the thread, i knew it was going to be some bullshet that condones cheap play. that's the reason why online sucks so much now. in shooters, most people are camping instead of going for the objectives, in madden, people just run the same 3 or 4 money plays, and in fighters, people just look up one long combo on youtube and try to spam it over and over. no point in downloading the compatibility pack for this shetty community.....betches

I play a number of FPS's and when I find campers I often die the first time, they don't survive long though. Staying in the same place for too long cuts off a number of options. Especially when I play Halo: Reach, I destroy people who camp because they're too busy thinking their invincible to avoid the grenade I just bounced into the corner, they either eat the 'nade or they run away and I cut them down. Camping is not a good strategy 9/10 times.

As for Madden, why in God's name should they stop running a crossing route or a HB Off-Counter if the opponent can't stop them? Really. "I'm sorry you can't seem to stop me on the ground, I'll take the ball away from Adrian Peterson and just throw it deep on your fast corners a couple times. Hopefully you catch up enough so that this game is fair despite the advantage I have in the run game." If you don't like it, stop it. Out play them. You know what they're going to do. If they're only running 4 plays, you know exactly what's going to happen.

The same thing goes for fighting games like MK9. If someone's going spam Reptile's Elbow Dash against my Sub-Zero, I'm gonna drop Ice Clones to stop him. It's his fault for carelessly spamming and thinking it should work, Ice Clone beats Elbow Dash. I know that. My opponent should know that work around it. If someone wants to block low in open space against me, well okay. B+4xxIce Ball, NJP, B+1,2, 2,1,2xxSlide. I will rock that combo all day if it my opponent is going to turtle me with crouch blocking. Why should I avoid my best overhead strike just because they feel safe curled up in a ball on the floor? 2,2 hits people out of the air during jump-ins and Ice Clone lets me control the field of play, I'm going to use those to keep my opponent grounded where I can fight more effectively.

Shouting that something's "cheap" is just an excuse to not acknowledge that something beat you. Someone couldn't handle it, wasn't willing to learn the counter, and thus will fall prey to it over and over. Rather an accepting responsibility for not playing well, one just says it's cheap and disregards it. Sorry, if it doesn't really break the game (see Akuma from Super Street Fighter 2, that shit was crazy-broken) then it can be countered and it becomes a tactic. It may not be fun to eat Kung Lao's Spin a dozen times in a match, but jumping in on Kung Lao and pressuring him on his wake-up is good way to ask for a Spin to be throw out.

I could go on, but I've really made my point. Anyone who wants to agree or disagree has probably made their decision by now. [/rant]

Good luck to all.

Okay this is so stupid sub vs lui Kane it's like fireball spam all day. He is full screen so I can't even slide punish and blocking takes chip. If I jump fireball to the face.

I play a number of FPS's and when I find campers I often die the first time, they don't survive long though. Staying in the same place for too long cuts off a number of options. Especially when I play Halo: Reach, I destroy people who camp because they're too busy thinking their invincible to avoid the grenade I just bounced into the corner, they either eat the 'nade or they run away and I cut them down. Camping is not a good strategy 9/10 times.

As for Madden, why in God's name should they stop running a crossing route or a HB Off-Counter if the opponent can't stop them? Really. "I'm sorry you can't seem to stop me on the ground, I'll take the ball away from Adrian Peterson and just throw it deep on your fast corners a couple times. Hopefully you catch up enough so that this game is fair despite the advantage I have in the run game." If you don't like it, stop it. Out play them. You know what they're going to do. If they're only running 4 plays, you know exactly what's going to happen.

The same thing goes for fighting games like MK9. If someone's going spam Reptile's Elbow Dash against my Sub-Zero, I'm gonna drop Ice Clones to stop him. It's his fault for carelessly spamming and thinking it should work, Ice Clone beats Elbow Dash. I know that. My opponent should know that work around it. If someone wants to block low in open space against me, well okay. B+4xxIce Ball, NJP, B+1,2, 2,1,2xxSlide. I will rock that combo all day if it my opponent is going to turtle me with crouch blocking. Why should I avoid my best overhead strike just because they feel safe curled up in a ball on the floor? 2,2 hits people out of the air during jump-ins and Ice Clone lets me control the field of play, I'm going to use those to keep my opponent grounded where I can fight more effectively.

Shouting that something's "cheap" is just an excuse to not acknowledge that something beat you. Someone couldn't handle it, wasn't willing to learn the counter, and thus will fall prey to it over and over. Rather an accepting responsibility for not playing well, one just says it's cheap and disregards it. Sorry, if it doesn't really break the game (see Akuma from Super Street Fighter 2, that shit was crazy-broken) then it can be countered and it becomes a tactic. It may not be fun to eat Kung Lao's Spin a dozen times in a match, but jumping in on Kung Lao and pressuring him on his wake-up is good way to ask for a Spin to be throw out.

I could go on, but I've really made my point. Anyone who wants to agree or disagree has probably made their decision by now. [/rant]

Good luck to all.

too long; didn't read. i can already tell that you missed the point. i'm not saying that cheap tactics are unbeatable. i'm just saying that encouraging
cheap tactics is for scumbags. and whoever said to "man up" when they neg repped me, should think about growing a pair because real men play with honor. you don't see guys kicking each other in the balls or biting each other in fights do you? no, you fight with honor...bums

too long; didn't read. i can already tell that you missed the point. i'm not saying that cheap tactics are unbeatable. i'm just saying that encouraging
cheap tactics is for scumbags. and whoever said to "man up" when they neg repped me, should think about growing a pair because real men play with honor. you don't see guys kicking each other in the balls or biting each other in fights do you? no, you fight with honor...bums

Ummmm, obviously you've never heard of Johnny Cage. Scorpion also does a ballshot for his X-ray, as well as Sindel.

EDIT: And honor wtf? This is a video game, not a real fight. I'll do whatever I have to, to win. Minus glitches, hacking, etc. It's all fair game.

Lol first off you lose every ounce of credibility by not reading something and responding to it. Everything I say from here on out is just icing.

"Cheap" is just a word people invented to explain away something they cannot overcome. Spamming isn't cheap, it's dumb. It's easily overcome once one learns what to do. Raiden is not cheap, he is strong. He can be beaten once one learns how to counter him (no, I don't main Raiden or Kung Lao). This thread is about bettering oneself in this game (ignoring the larger implications) and limiting yourself to "playing nice" and making sure everyone has an equal chance doesn't fall in-line. This is a game about a fighting competition. There is a winner and a loser. I try my best to learn from my losses but I would much rather have fun and win than lose because I wanted to make sure my opponent doesn't bent out of shape because they got locked down.

I'll just ignore the whole part about honor. To discuss the concept of honor involves delving into the subjects of psychology, anthropology, and (most significantly) philosophy. I have had so incredibly few good discussions on those subject with people on the internet that it's not even worth mentioning. Especially when dealing with someone who seems rather close-minded and has already expressed a disinterest in reading in-depth statements.

Enjoy your day.

Please stop insulting people. If you get a rep that is offensive, please PM a super mod (anyone with an orange name) and we can take a look at it. Otherwise, please keep the discussion civil and keep rep out of it, it only causes problems.

~Thanks =)

Um.. this is super simple. THE REASON YOU DONT SEE GUYS KICKING EACHOTHER IN THE BALLS AND BITING IN REAL LIFE???? Is because doing such actions can cause permanent damage. So doing such things must be restricted. When I own you with just 2 moves with Noob, At the end of the game you take no permanent damage. so your analogy is failure +1.

I'm sure if kicking in the balls/biting in real life had zero consequences (Minus the pain). It would be legal to do in a fight.

Now if someone is trying to kill you and your fighting to the death in real life. Why would you not use all the tools available to you? Kicking someone in the balls could save your life.

2.) too bad you didn't read his post. You might have learned how to deal with the problems you have.

3.) What you call "cheap" is just another word for "effective against you". and when you win... that's what you do you use what's effective against your opponent.

4.) If you don't want to play against "Cheap" moves then you should have followed the threads advice and learned how to counter them properly. your opponent will either lose... or adapt and play the game how you probably expected to see it.

I still run into people trying to abuse using "Good moves" All I have to do is hard punish it, then they will be forced to play a normal mix game against me or suffer the consequences. So if you keep running into players like these. That just means your skill is heavily lacking because they are only using a few strats because YOU refuse to beat them to make them change.

It's simple YOU ARE THE ONLY THING THAT CAN CHANGE HOW YOUR OPPONENT PLAYS. If me and DCP fought. And I was noob, and he kept dash blocking then punishing my shadow. He is forcing me to play different because he knows how to beat it. So now I have to either mix up more into my game, or give something else a try. He forced me to play a good game, by beating me at my predictable one. and If I don't play a good game I lose. It's simple.

FOR THE RECORD: Don't twist what I say around. You tried to make it sound like I condone bad play. No, I condone effective brainstorming play. And my guess is you only read the first paragraph. Which tells you to accept all aspects of the game. If you can't do that simple step so you can start figuring out ways to avoid stuff to force your opponent to adapt as well. Then you are lost. You should just stop playing video games and go play golf or something where someone can' "Abuse" you with something.

Btw thank you DCP and magnum for having my back lol. Nice posts magnum. I read them and enjoyed them so they were not wasted :p

Reactions: DCP
Btw thank you DCP and magnum for having my back lol. Nice posts magnum. I read them and enjoyed them so they were not wasted :p

*tips hat* I aim to please. This thread has been really helpful for me and I can't imagine I'm the only one. There's a lot of good info here and I would love for people to continue using it properly. =)

Ummmm, obviously you've never heard of Johnny Cage. Scorpion also does a ballshot for his X-ray, as well as Sindel.

EDIT: And honor wtf? This is a video game, not a real fight. I'll do whatever I have to, to win. Minus glitches, hacking, etc. It's all fair game.

i don't remember scorpion having a ball shot. and way to miss the point. a ball shot or biting in real life is a cheap way to pretty much end the fight. it won't end it in a video game...i would think you could differ between the two. play cheap if you want i don't even really care..not like i'd waste time playing you.

Lol first off you lose every ounce of credibility by not reading something and responding to it. Everything I say from here on out is just icing.

"Cheap" is just a word people invented to explain away something they cannot overcome. Spamming isn't cheap, it's dumb. It's easily overcome once one learns what to do. Raiden is not cheap, he is strong. He can be beaten once one learns how to counter him (no, I don't main Raiden or Kung Lao). This thread is about bettering oneself in this game (ignoring the larger implications) and limiting yourself to "playing nice" and making sure everyone has an equal chance doesn't fall in-line. This is a game about a fighting competition. There is a winner and a loser. I try my best to learn from my losses but I would much rather have fun and win than lose because I wanted to make sure my opponent doesn't bent out of shape because they got locked down.

I'll just ignore the whole part about honor. To discuss the concept of honor involves delving into the subjects of psychology, anthropology, and (most significantly) philosophy. I have had so incredibly few good discussions on those subject with people on the internet that it's not even worth mentioning. Especially when dealing with someone who seems rather close-minded and has already expressed a disinterest in reading in-depth statements.

Enjoy your day.

tl; dr. again, i can tell from the first line that you're just going off topic to make yourself feel good. as i said before, i never said it's something that i "can't overcome". i'm new to fighters...haven't really played one since mk1 or mk2 (don't really remember)...and i'm 91-29. i'm just saying online kind of sucks when there's sad people (like you) who encourage only choosing the cheapest characters and just spam...all the time. playing the same 4-5 characters who all use the exact same "tactics" is why i only play this online like every 2 or 3 days and haven't bothered to download the compatibility pack. i played this guy who chose ermac (suprise suprise) who was 250-72. all he did was tele-force moves...that's literally all he did with an occasional teleport. i beat him both rounds pretty easily with liu kang just by dash blocking. people with great records play just like new people.

Um.. this is super simple. THE REASON YOU DONT SEE GUYS KICKING EACHOTHER IN THE BALLS AND BITING IN REAL LIFE???? Is because doing such actions can cause permanent damage. So doing such things must be restricted. When I own you with just 2 moves with Noob, At the end of the game you take no permanent damage. so your analogy is failure +1.

I'm sure if kicking in the balls/biting in real life had zero consequences (Minus the pain). It would be legal to do in a fight.

Now if someone is trying to kill you and your fighting to the death in real life. Why would you not use all the tools available to you? Kicking someone in the balls could save your life.

2.) too bad you didn't read his post. You might have learned how to deal with the problems you have.

3.) What you call "cheap" is just another word for "effective against you". and when you win... that's what you do you use what's effective against your opponent.

4.) If you don't want to play against "Cheap" moves then you should have followed the threads advice and learned how to counter them properly. your opponent will either lose... or adapt and play the game how you probably expected to see it.

I still run into people trying to abuse using "Good moves" All I have to do is hard punish it, then they will be forced to play a normal mix game against me or suffer the consequences. So if you keep running into players like these. That just means your skill is heavily lacking because they are only using a few strats because YOU refuse to beat them to make them change.

It's simple YOU ARE THE ONLY THING THAT CAN CHANGE HOW YOUR OPPONENT PLAYS. If me and DCP fought. And I was noob, and he kept dash blocking then punishing my shadow. He is forcing me to play different because he knows how to beat it. So now I have to either mix up more into my game, or give something else a try. He forced me to play a good game, by beating me at my predictable one. and If I don't play a good game I lose. It's simple.

FOR THE RECORD: Don't twist what I say around. You tried to make it sound like I condone bad play. No, I condone effective brainstorming play. And my guess is you only read the first paragraph. Which tells you to accept all aspects of the game. If you can't do that simple step so you can start figuring out ways to avoid stuff to force your opponent to adapt as well. Then you are lost. You should just stop playing video games and go play golf or something where someone can' "Abuse" you with something.

stopped right there. so i guess people never suffer any kind of "permanent damage" in fist fights? that's the reason why people don't do it? just stick to video games dude.

i don't remember scorpion having a ball shot. and way to miss the point. a ball shot or biting in real life is a cheap way to pretty much end the fight. it won't end it in a video game...i would think you could differ between the two. play cheap if you want i don't even really care..not like i'd waste time playing you.

There you go, would you like a frame by frame analysis or can you figure it out on your own? Watch at 0:16. He hits him in the balls.
Lol, you wouldn't waste your time playing me? No, no, no. You've got it all wrong, I wouldn't waste my precious time playing YOU. You're probably one of these "SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE -TELEPORT" Scorpion nubs. Seriously why am I even arguing with you. You know nothing.

lol dude if u listen to any one here it's these three why would u throw stones at people that are throwing bolders at u.

i've learned more from playing Dcp then i have ever playing anyone else well maybe except circus.

maybe u should drop the front lighten up and listen to these guys they do know what their talking about.

Last edited:
stopped right there. so i guess people never suffer any kind of "permanent damage" in fist fights? that's the reason why people don't do it? just stick to video games dude.

For the record... this whole conversation should just stick to video games. You are the one who brought up a failure analogy of honor by comparing real life to video games.

It's not guaranteed after 1 hit.
AKA mike tyson biting an ear off.

AKA one punch to the balls could mean no children for life.

It takes ALOT of punches to the head to develop brain damage which is what I suppose you are getting at. Because bruising will heal, broken bones can heal. Bleeding can stop. That's why there is a referee to call it to stop it. You should stick to video games if you couldn't analyze that correctly. Actually you shouldn't stick to video games. Because you can't even analyze that correctly either.

Also... just as I said earlier. If the number of cases of brain injury's from fights on T.V. and such increase. I'd imagine a ban on face punching as well. But they want to avoid that because.. face punching=Brings in more audience/money.

I know not ONLY those 2 things can cause permanent damage... I mean football players have bad back and such by the end of their career. chink in their necks and what not. But that damage wasn't gauranteed damage..... like... a punch in the balls. You might say face masking isn't guaranteed. But the cost of 1 face mask going wrong is not worth the risk. Broken neck... No thanks.

btw, Magnum didn't say using the same 4 moves over and over was a good idea... atleast not vs a smart person. the only time using it is a good idea. is when your opponent is using the same move over... and over.... If Noob saibot is gonna keep tossing shadows at me. I'm going to keep shadow glowing. It's only a good idea to use the same moves... if your opponent doesn't change them.

Btw way to ignore the rest of it and only point out that. It's because that was a little bit of a grey area. While if you tried to deny anything else I said. You would have been run into the ground with better logic.

Last edited:
ball shots and biting almost never happens in real life because MEN (not you little puhssies) are raised to fight for honor and respect. you think people don't take ball shots or bite in real life because they care about the other person's long-term health? you're out of your stupid ass mind...you and your boyfriends. lol it's a shame you loser-geeks abuse and exploit cheap "tactics" just to protect your online video game stats lol. go ahead and ban me mod, none of you betches can disprove this bolded paragraph, and i don't want to have anything to do with the low quality trash that is this forum anymore...betches..

Are you drunk or are you speaking out of your ass??

Man dude, seriously, you need to grow up. Who in the hell argues over the net?

Take a deep breath, count to 10, drink some water, smoke a blunt, and you'll feel much better.

I am having serious problems playing Sub-Zero against very good Skarlet and Kitana players.
Sometimes I manage to win because they commit mistakes, but I don't really know how should I play, every tactic that comes to my mind seems to be useless...

1) Getting close to them (expecially Kitana) is almost impossible
2) Ice Clone is useless
3) Ice Ball is nearly useless, because the opponents are not stupid and will never trade projectiles or get hit by random iceballs
4) Slide = suicide
5) My normals are not really useful...opponent escapes everytime.

*Stop feeding the troll guys...

I am having serious problems playing Sub-Zero against very good Skarlet and Kitana players.
Sometimes I manage to win because they commit mistakes, but I don't really know how should I play, every tactic that comes to my mind seems to be useless...

1) Getting close to them (expecially Kitana) is almost impossible
2) Ice Clone is useless
3) Ice Ball is nearly useless, because the opponents are not stupid and will never trade projectiles or get hit by random iceballs
4) Slide = suicide
5) My normals are not really useful...opponent escapes everytime.

*Stop feeding the troll guys...

yeah ..does matchups arent easy.

all u can do is punish everything..

against Kitana:

- Air clones after knockdown are really useful .. u are able to lock her down that way.
- Well as u allrdy mentioned Trade ..if possible
- 22 String is pretty valid imo.
- Lock her into the corner via Air clone.
- Via d4 ur able to go under fans.
- clone setup. Clone -> dash infront of the clone and throw an iceball -> bait her to air-dash-move-thing into the iceclone.

Skarlet:

- I think her up/downSlice is poke/punishable on block. Same for Slide, Teleport, etc.
- Blockdash is a must ..
- bait her into clones ..but I guess u do that allrdy (;

Haven't played many skarlets yet ..especially any really good ones ..And I won most games with Sub against her.

yeah ..does matchups arent easy.

all u can do is punish everything..

against Kitana:

- Air clones after knockdown are really useful .. u are able to lock her down that way.
- Well as u allrdy mentioned Trade ..if possible
- 22 String is pretty valid imo.
- Lock her into the corner via Air clone.
- Via d4 ur able to go under fans.
- clone setup. Clone -> dash infront of the clone and throw an iceball -> bait her to air-dash-move-thing into the iceclone.

Skarlet:

- I think her up/downSlice is poke/punishable on block. Same for Slide, Teleport, etc.
- Blockdash is a must ..
- bait her into clones ..but I guess u do that allrdy (;

Haven't played many skarlets yet ..especially any really good ones ..And I won most games with Sub against her.

Thanks for the tips rinc-e, I only disagree on:

clone setup = My opponent would hit me with a fan before I have the time to throw IceBall (probably I won't even have the time to recover from Ice Clone)
Blockdash is a must = Her kunais are super fast and push back when blocked...I get tons of chip damage before I have a chance to caress her :(.