So, just bought an NES...

Contra, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Mega Man, Super Mario...they're all crap. You should try Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or some movie licensing games. Those are always fun.

-Castlevania
-all of the Marios
-duck tales (or any capcom made Disney game)
-spelunker
-kid icarus
-Punch-out
-and both of the zelda games !!

Captain Skyhawk
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Legend of Zelda
Dynowarz
Friday the 13th
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Contra
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Blades of Steel
Super Techmo Bowl

One of my favorite games of all times is Faxanadu. It is one of the most unique games on the system. It has a really great story and it's design and color palette are so captivating. It can be a bit challenging, however. Regardless, I love this game so much. I used to watch my grandma play through it when I was little haha.

EDIT : *GASP* I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It's ****ing awesome! GET THIS GAME

Can anyone recommend any good games for it?
And yeah, I know i'm a little bit late to the party.

Better question is what type of games do you like? There are LOTS of great games but what type of genre you like will make it easier.

That said I really need to work on my NES game collection and finally buy a Famicom Disc System...

Lots of great suggestions here, here are a few more from my favorites list that have'nt been mentioned.
-Ghoul School
-Dr. Chaos
-Paperboy
-Wolverine
-Xenophobe
-Ghouls n Ghosts
-Goonies 2
-Snake Rattle & Roll

One of my favorite games of all times is Faxanadu. It is one of the most unique games on the system. It has a really great story and it's design and color palette are so captivating. It can be a bit challenging, however. Regardless, I love this game so much. I used to watch my grandma play through it when I was little haha.

EDIT : *GASP* I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It's ****ing awesome! GET THIS GAME

A) You have great taste in games
B) You have one of the coolest grandmothers on the planet!

My suggestions: SMB (1,2, & 3), Faxanadu, Final Fantasy, Crystalis, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 (extremely hard, but fantastic), Street Fighter 2010, the first 3 Dragon Warriors, and Tetris.

That's a good start. :biggrin:

Most games on the NES you can get on other systems now ... there are a few that are unreplacable which are the ones I would recommend.

Trojan - its weird but strangely fun
Destiny of an Emperor - A super unique RPG
Rygar - The arcade version sucks. The NES version is 100x better.
Battle of Olympus - A hidden treasure.

A) You have great taste in games
B) You have one of the coolest grandmothers on the planet!

My suggestions: SMB (1,2, & 3), Faxanadu, Final Fantasy, Crystalis, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 (extremely hard, but fantastic), Street Fighter 2010, the first 3 Dragon Warriors, and Tetris.

That's a good start. :biggrin:

Haha, thanks. As do you. Yeah, she's pretty awesome. She introduced me to Legend of Zelda and Faxanadu. She started getting carpal tunnel and had to stop though :l

Alien 3
Ghostbusters
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Double Dragon
Punch-Out!! (that's the name of it, i'm not yelling it)
The Simpsons

Last edited:
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3
Kirby's Adventure
Legend of Zelda
Double Dragon 1 and 2
Contra
Ninja Turtles 2
Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, 3
Batman Revenge of the Joker
Castlevania Series
Mega Man series