Official Baseball Thread

Frigging Dodgers. They make a huge trade giving them one of the best first basemen in all of baseball and they still have an atrocious offense. Christ, they probably would've had a better record in the past month with Loney in there; they sure couldn't have been any worse.

I can't believe I plunked down the money for MLB.tv to see this shit.

I hate to say it, but the Pirates asked for 19 (going on 20) consecutive losing seasons and ZERO playoff berths the minute they decided to let Bonds get away.

I can assure you Bonds leaving is only a minor reason why the Bucs have had so many losing seasons. The Pirates don't really have the ability to put hundreds of millions of dollars into one player. Poor front office decisions and, more recently, poor on-field managing has doomed us. There is a solid group of players here now... if they can stay together for just a few years, the PIrates may be able to make a run at something.

Mathematically eliminated from the playoffs today... 186 days until Opening Day 2013!

Half of NY probably blamed A-Rod lol.

If the Rangers let Josh Hamilton leave, that'll have to be one of the worst decisions (imo) that they can ever make.

I'm still surprised the Giants won though, even more surprised that they made it this far; shows how valuable pitching is. Kinda sucks that not too many people watched it though lol. I'm sure the MLB would have loved a Yankees-Cards or Yankees-Nats World Series.

Anyways congrats SF Giants fans.

The Hall of Fame Ballot is out, and it's the most controversial one yet. Notable first-year eligibles include Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza, and failed gaming development boss Curt Schilling.

I don't care what they do to Sosa, but Bonds and Clemens DEFINITELY belong in the Hall! They were Hall of Famers even BEFORE they allegedly started juicing! And we already have cheaters in the Hall (Gaylord Perry and Leo Durocher, anyone?)! If there's a time to put an end to this double standard, this is it!

I agree TT, Bonds and Clemens should definitely be in the Hall; they act as if they started putting up stats after they started juicing "allegedly".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't MLB officials already aware of the fact that some players using PEDs before this whole hunt? If so, why do some of them seem so adamant on ridding the sports of them? Is it b/c of public opinion or something, b/c they obviously didn't care when those same guys were bringing in the fans during their best days.

I agree TT, Bonds and Clemens should definitely be in the Hall; they act as if they started putting up stats after they started juicing "allegedly".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't MLB officials already aware of the fact that some players using PEDs before this whole hunt? If so, why do some of them seem so adamant on ridding the sports of them? Is it b/c of public opinion or something, b/c they obviously didn't care when those same guys were bringing in the fans during their best days.

I can guarantee you it was because of Public Relations. In fact, the PR was so bad that there were Congressional Hearings on the issue. If anything steroids actually saved baseball from the 1994 strike, much like the meteoric rise of Babe Ruth in the 1920s saved baseball from the Black Sox Scandal.

Last edited:
All I know is, Biggio needs to get in. 3,000 hits, and no one's accusing him of PED use that I know of.

Well, you never know what these voters are thinking these days. Jeff Bagwell never had a shred of evidence against him for PED use, yet he still got shafted. And don't you dare try to tell me Bagwell doesn't belong; where were the Astros as a franchise before he arrived, and where have they been since he retired? Enough said!

Well...I'm not surprised that Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa fell short of the necessary 75% threshold to get into Cooperstown, but for NOBODY to get inducted in this year's class?! Absolutely shameful, the steroid issue notwithstanding! I'm beginning to think that players are being discriminated against just because played during the Steroid Era, regardless of whether or not there's even a single PED allegation against them!

And upon looking at the results, as a Yankees fan, I am personally pissed at the fact that Bernie Williams only got 3.3% of the vote, which has permanently eliminated him from the BBWAA vote! Correct me if I'm wrong, but was he not the first major piece of the Yankees dynasty in the late 90s that came from the franchise's own farm system? And don't tell me that first major piece was Jeter; with all due respect to The Captain, Bernie Williams made his major league debut before Jeter was even drafted! Bernie's future exclusion from Cooperstown is absolutely disgraceful on the BBWAA's part!

Biggio not getting in on the first ballot is a travesty... He's got 3,000 hits for God's sake.

Bernie Williams is not a HOFer though, Trash... he doesn't have the numbers... this is baseball, where numbers actually matter.

Bernie Williams is still a 4-time World Series champion, all while playing one of the most prestigious positions in all of sports; Centerfield for the Yankees (which is Baseball's equivalent to Center for the Los Angeles Lakers or Boston Celtics, Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens, and Quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys). If that is not Hall of Fame-worthy, stats or no stats, then I don't know what is... What should piss me off more is the fact that the Yankees have not retired his number (although it is out of circulation, as evidenced by the fact that Ichiro was issued #31 upon his trade to the Yankees).

Although this year is not a completely empty class. Prior to the BBWAA balloting, the Veterans Committee elected Hank O'Day (umpire), Deacon White (a player who played during the pre-Major League era), and Jacob Ruppert (former owner of the New York Yankees). What pisses me off about Ruppert's induction is, how the hell did Ruppert slip to the Veteran's Committee in 2013, instead of being inducted in his first year of eligibility?! This is the same man who bought Babe Ruth's contract from the Boston Red Sox, built Yankee Stadium, and most importantly, oversaw the birth of a dynasty that lasted for 40 years, something we will NEVER see in sports again (if 20 World Series titles in 40 years is not a dynasty, then I don't know what is)!

Last edited:
Bernie Williams is still a 4-time World Series champion, all while playing one of the most prestigious positions in all of sports; Centerfield for the Yankees (which is Baseball's equivalent to Center for the Los Angeles Lakers or Boston Celtics, Goalie for the Montreal Canadiens, and Quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys). If that is not Hall of Fame-worthy, stats or no stats, then I don't know what is... What should piss me off more is the fact that the Yankees have not retired his number (although it is out of circulation, as evidenced by the fact that Ichiro was issued #31 upon his trade to the Yankees).

If there is any "prestige" to a position, it comes from prestigious players who played it. Bernie Williams is not DiMaggio or Mantle. Nor is he of the same caliber of anyone else who ever had their number retired by the Yankees. And if titles mattered for the Hall of Fame, half of everyone who ever played for the Yankees would be in.

Well, all I have to say to the BBWAA is, don't screw Pettitte just on the account of using TWO injections in his entire lifetime! He is to pitchers what Reggie Jackson was to hitters; Mr October (as evidenced by the fact that he has more career postseason wins than any other pitcher)! And, outside of those two injections he used to recover from injury, he was CLEAN!

I've heard Stan Musial described as the Ted Williams of St. Louis...I guess I can take that at face value, since I have relatives who are native Cardinals fans. The only image I have of Earl Weaver, though, is his arguments with umpires....as you can see in this Youtube classic!

So the Dodgers are actually in first place. A month ago they were 12 games under .500 and 9.5 games out, and now they're 4 games over and a half a game up.

They may be a couple DL slots away from being back in the cellar, but that's still an awesome turn around. The rotation is solid, the 'pen has stepped it up and Hanley Ramirez is a monster. Feels good, man.

Also, Ryan Braun's a chode.

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas are going to Cooperstown with Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, and Bobby Cox.

Thomas becomes the first inductee to spend the majority of his career as a Designated Hitter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk