Mortal Kombat X Official Gameplay Discussion Thread

I know I'm against giving a character a teleport if they can't think of anything new to give them, but I really want them to bring back Sub-Zero's Mortal Kombat vs DC's teleport. I think that was, if not, THE best Sub-Zero I've ever gotten behind. He wasn't that fast, but decent.

But then again, people complained too many times about characters being broken so I guess that's why I enjoyed the game too much.

Yes, teleport would be sweet.

I don't kbow why they never get inventive with ice, they did with rock, acid, even fire the most overused element but its the same vanilla stuff for Subbie, I hate that.

Here are some ideas:

Ice teleport
Stalagmite projectile
Snow projectile
Stalagmites (unblockable tracker with a ground pound like animation as a start up)

Ugh, I'm still having a character crisis. Winning with Sonya feels like my brain cells are deteriorating and Kotal feels like a solid secondary but not my main. I don't really vibe with any of these characters like I do with Wonder Woman or even Shazam.

I'm lost.

Ugh, I'm still having a character crisis. Winning with Sonya feels like my brain cells are deteriorating and Kotal feels like a solid secondary but not my main. I don't really vibe with any of these characters like I do with Wonder Woman or even Shazam.

I'm lost.
Go back to Kitana, seriously. She's like a whole new character now.

I'm lost.
Nothing is more rewarding to me than cage, good pressure but its really hard to pull a win if youre not constantly in their face, especially in stunt double. I play him against kitana and isually win

If I can get the hang of a character, they're good in my books. Ethereal Mileena at first was a bit of a challenge for me but I got her working where I want her to be.

That's how I kinda picked my characters in MKX.
Well, that, and 1 happened to be my favorite character.
The other 2 that I switch between are Displacer Raiden and Ronin Takeda.

I'm lost.

Honestly, I think it's just poor character design and fleshing out of the variation system. Now add that with a shitty online experience where it doesn't matter what character you choose because no matter how much effort and training you put into learning new tech and dedicate time practicing complicated set ups and situations to block you'll always get hit because of the 1-3 frame delays that makes the hugest difference in any match in High Level Casuals.

Spoiler:
It's retarded to add a variation system where only a few characters have 2 USEFUL variations and the other one is utter trash or isn't worth investing time because of how poorly designed and out classed by the character's other variations. On paper Unbreakable Sub-Zero sounds like and should be THE defensive Variation. 5 Frame Parry, that has the ability to deflect projectiles, but has abysmal recovery so if you throw 2 fireballs back to back the second projectile (That's not reflected) will hit Sub-zero while the opponent builds meter (Which leaves them ahead in Meter management, which in return gives them a breaker +More damage if needed).

So, you can play defensive, but give your opponent free Meter and damage. It's just poor gameplay design, that I seen coming miles away.

Until online is fixed, I'm done with MK.

Last edited:
I have never been so satisfied with scorpion ever before. The mkx scorpion is so good i really enjoy maining him

[MENTION=10998]iViTal[/MENTION]

I feel you, man. Honestly, I'm not digging any of these characters. I might just tier whore and call it a day.

I'm lost.

I main Erron Black just cause he has a repeater.

I regret nothing.

It's crazy man, I was so hyped for Unbreakable Sub-Zero too :cry:

Same here, [MENTION=10998]iViTal[/MENTION].
Before the game came out I thought that Unbreakable Sub-Zero would be THE go-to defensive variation for Sub-Zero, but (as you mentioned) the Barrier of Frost parry isn't as good as I hoped that it would be, and Grandmaster does defense much better.
The Barrier of Frost also has shitty damage scaling from a frozen opponent, unlike the Ice Ball and Ice Clone.
Sure, the Frozen Aura is good for chip damage, but that's about it.

Unbreakable will certainly get some buffs. NRS must know that it's always getting negative comments from players, and it's obviously going to be the least-used Sub-Zero variation. I am expecting some Subby, Reptile and Goro buffs in the next patch.

Same here, @iViTal.
Before the game came out I thought that Unbreakable Sub-Zero would be THE go-to defensive variation for Sub-Zero, but (as you mentioned) the Barrier of Frost parry isn't as good as I hoped that it would be, and Granoudmaster does defense much better and Cryomancer -for once- has given me an Offensive Sub-Zero.
The Barrier of Frost also has shitty damage scaling from a frozen opponent, unlike the Ice Ball and Ice Clone.
Sure, the Frozen Aura is good for chip damage, but that's about it.

It's dumb that the damage scales because Unbreakable Sub can't break 30%+ Meterless, I should get rewarded damage for guessing right with the parry.

It's dumb that the damage scales because Unbreakable Sub can't break 30%+ Meterless, I should get rewarded damage for guessing right with the parry.

Agreed, good sir. :)

Although, according to Tom Brady, a couple of Meterless combos above 30% can be done but in the corner, not open space.

Tom Brady said:
· Back + 2, Back + 2 > Down + 1 > Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 32%
· Back + 1,2 ~ Ice Ball > (back dash or jump back) Jump in 1 or 2 ~ Back + 2, Back + 2 > Down + 1 > Back + 1,2 ~ Slide - 32%

http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-unbreakable-guide.49882/

Edit:
Those 2 combos aren't Barrier Of Frost combos, just 2 Meterless combos in Unbreakable that are above 30% damage.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it's just poor character design and fleshing out of the variation system. Now add that with a shitty online experience where it doesn't matter what character you choose because no matter how much effort and training you put into learning new tech and dedicate time practicing complicated set ups and situations to block you'll always get hit because of the 1-3 frame delays that makes the hugest difference in any match in High Level Casuals.

Spoiler:
It's retarded to add a variation system where only a few characters have 2 USEFUL variations and the other one is utter trash or isn't worth investing time because of how poorly designed and out classed by the character's other variations. On paper Unbreakable Sub-Zero sounds like and should be THE defensive Variation. 5 Frame Parry, that has the ability to deflect projectiles, but has abysmal recovery so if you throw 2 fireballs back to back the second projectile (That's not reflected) will hit Sub-zero while the opponent builds meter (Which leaves them ahead in Meter management, which in return gives them a breaker +More damage if needed).

So, you can play defensive, but give your opponent free Meter and damage. It's just poor gameplay design, that I seen coming miles away.

Until online is fixed, I'm done with MK.

I agree about the bad online , but the other part isn't quite right, since in MK9 we had 30(?) characters and about 7 of them were useless/unviable, but in MKX we have over 75 variations and only about 7 are useless, which shows that NRS can properly balance their games now. Hell, every single character in MKX except Goro is viable in at least 2 of their variations (except T-Rex Jacqui maybe, Full Auto might be her only viable variation).

Their way of balancing though is to just give every character a high/low mixup and call it a day.

Their way of balancing though is to just give every character a high/low mixup and call it a day.

I'm sure they'll change that in the next game given our complaints.

I really love Venomous D'Vorah, poking people and spraying them is mad fun, especially because her spray does the same damage on block as on hit, though I wish it was a bit safer since she's unsafe on everything in this variation.

I'm sure they'll change that in the next game given our complaints.

Are you serious? NRS idolizes SonicFox, they love the vortex, lock you down in a corner the whole round playstyle.

Nobody even plays keepaway in MKX! There are definitely zoners, but nobody uses them because rushdown is just so godlike.