MK movie update/MK Legacy discussion

Kevin tanch had it right with his mk rebirth short, add superpowers to that and BAM the perfect mk movie, a rated R bloodsport tournament style movie, if possible I would hire the entire The Raid movie team to work on the mk movie.

NO.
Rebirth was terrible.
This isn't SAW or Hostel.
MK isn't horror and should NEVER be horror.
Reptile as a guy with a disease that turned his eyes inside out?
Baraka as a doctor gone mad who implanted blade into himself?
Scorpion being incarcerated?
What's next?
Sub-Zero as a refrigerator repair man?
Raiden as an electrician?
Shang Tsung as a guy with multiple personality disorder?
NO.

At its core, MK is about a fighting tournament, to determine the fate of the realms.
Other realms means that there should be beings from those other realms.
I want to see Reptile as a reptilian and Baraka as a Tarkatan.
Goro, Sheeva and Kintaro should be 4-armed Shokan warriors.
Etc, etc, etc, etc.......

I think MK should go for a more stylistic route as far as movies like concerned, like how they did with the 300 movies for example, having a good cohesion between fantasy and reality elements.

I think MK should go for a more stylistic route as far as movies like concerned, like how they did with the 300 movies for example, having a good cohesion between fantasy and reality elements.

I like this, and I also like more of the Lord Of The Rings approach, where fantasy / magic and powers co-exist in the real world, or are a big factor in that specific setting.

I still think they did a pretty decent job with the first MK movie. Maybe something like that again but perhaps with less cheese like they did with Raiden and include more individualistic presentations of characters, especially with Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Reptile, and have more gore.

EDIT: Oh, and actually make Shang Tsung old, have Scorpion be the one to kill Sub-Zero and Liu Kang the one to fight Goro...

Last edited:
Let's hope so and that they're looking for a more suitable talent to direct. I was all for giving Kevin a chance but his directing was way too cliche and cheesy. I'd rather wait for a good movie than have him make anything less than great. This franchise will only get one shot. I think WB knows there's a lot of money to be made from it though.

Get Paul WS Anderson back. Say what you want about the RE movies, but he did the first MK movie right...and that's a rarity for movie adaptations of video games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Actually the person who just mentioned above that the tone of the first movie was good and I agree. Take away the 90's cheese, stay true to the characters stories, add gore and have great choreographers. Finding a big cast who can act with a martial arts background is a tougher objective but that would be perfect to me.

NO.
Rebirth was terrible.
This isn't SAW or Hostel.
MK isn't horror and should NEVER be horror.
Reptile as a guy with a disease that turned his eyes inside out?
Baraka as a doctor gone mad who implanted blade into himself?
Scorpion being incarcerated?
What's next?
Sub-Zero as a refrigerator repair man?
Raiden as an electrician?
Shang Tsung as a guy with multiple personality disorder?
NO.

At its core, MK is about a fighting tournament, to determine the fate of the realms.
Other realms means that there should be beings from those other realms.
I want to see Reptile as a reptilian and Baraka as a Tarkatan.
Goro, Sheeva and Kintaro should be 4-armed Shokan warriors.
Etc, etc, etc, etc.......

you always post the same thing whenever someone mentions rebirth LOL, we get it you dont like rebirth, sadly for you more people like it than hate it, but thats not my point, i didnt mean i want a movie of the tone of the trailer, i said i want a movie with that tournament story and idea from the trailer with added superpowers

I also want to see all those characters you want to see but bringing all the realms and elder gods , tartakans storyline with princesses from edenia , all these wacky rules from gods and earth invasion etc, 99% of the population wont get it and for sure will not give a crap about that stuff making the movie tank at the box office, warner brothers shouldnt do that to please us hardcore fans, they have to make something to attract the general population, a live movie should be a grounded mystical bloodsport tournament style, that is where the money is at. A more mk true storyline that hardcore mk lovers want to see will work better in a cartoon.

you always post the same thing whenever someone mentions rebirth LOL, we get it you dont like rebirth, sadly for you more people like it than hate it, but thats not my point, i didnt mean i want a movie of the tone of the trailer, i said i want a movie with that tournament story and idea from the trailer with added superpowers

I also want to see all those characters you want to see but bringing all the realms and elder gods , tartakans storyline with princesses from edenia , all these wacky rules from gods and earth invasion etc, 99% of the population wont get it and for sure will not give a crap about that stuff making the movie tank at the box office, warner brothers shouldnt do that to please us hardcore fans, they have to make something to attract the general population, a live movie should be a grounded mystical bloodsport tournament style, that is where the money is at. A more mk true storyline that hardcore mk lovers want to see will work better in a cartoon.

That's NOT what you said:

Kevin tanch had it right with his mk rebirth short, add superpowers to that and BAM the perfect mk movie, a rated R bloodsport tournament style movie, if possible I would hire the entire The Raid movie team to work on the mk movie.

You should speak more clearly, if that's not what you intended, but that comes off as SAW-like MK (Rebirth) with more superpowers.

Warner Bros. SHOULD please the hardcore crowd.
Get a more true MK storyline that hardcore MK lovers approve of, and the rest of the fans will follow.
It happened with MK9, by making it a love-letter to the hardcore fans, and the controls were made easy enough that casuals can enjoy it too.
The same can be done (and has been done with the first Mortal Kombat movie) again, by giving the hardcore fans the story that they know and love, and providing elements that ALL fans can enjoy.

im positive when it comes to movies the general crowd has contributed the most, Live action is a whole different monster completely different from a game, a movie will not be made for the hardcore crowd because that will be less than half of half of the ticket sales, at the end of the day is all about money, they will try to find that middle ground to please everyone and squeeze the most money out of everyones pocket, something like the terrible RE has done for years. I loved the mk1 movie but i can see half of mk1 success was that in 1995 the mk property was on fire, not because it was a good movie.

The MK property was on fire thanks to the hardcore fans that still played MK3 and UMK3 at the time, in the arcade.

On top of that, Mortal Kombat also WAS a good video game movie.
The only 2 video game movies that have ever gotten the feeling of the games right was Mortal Kombat 1 and Silent Hill 1.
If they capitalize on the hardcore fanbase (just like comic book movies do) and do the MK movie right with that similar game feeling, then they can make A LOT of money.

im positive when it comes to movies the general crowd has contributed the most, Live action is a whole different monster completely different from a game, a movie will not be made for the hardcore crowd because that will be less than half of half of the ticket sales, at the end of the day is all about money, they will try to find that middle ground to please everyone and squeeze the most money out of everyones pocket, something like the terrible RE has done for years. I loved the mk1 movie but i can see half of mk1 success was that in 1995 the mk property was on fire, not because it was a good movie.

I expect every movie to be faithful to the source material. The casuals can eat shit and die for all I care. If the die-hards don't like it, the movie flops.

And one more thing Hanzo...opinions like yours are what keep people like Uwe Boll in business!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I expect every movie to be faithful to the source material.

Pretty much, this sentence.

I don't go into a movie going based on a previously created story thinking to myself "Hmmm, I wonder how the source material is going to get screwed up."
No.
I go into the movie thinking that it would be awesome to see the story that I know and love, being properly portrayed on the big screen.

Just don't let Brad Pitt anywhere near an MK movie. Chances are that he and his producers will completely ignore any source material. (They murdered World War Z...)

Dunno about World War Z, as I haven't seen it yet.
I'm not a Brad Pitt fan myself, but I do think he picks his movie roles wisely and he generally plays them well.
Troy was excellently done.

MK Rebirth was the best live action representation of Mortal Kombat.
Only close minded cry babies hated it. "That's not magical combat! Boo hoo hoo!"

Mk Rebirth was terrible, and only the horror fans who want to see it being turned into horror liked it.
MK isn't horror.
It's about a fighting tournament.
The MK1 and MKII part of MK9 are what an MK movie should be like, not SAW horror.