MK movie update/MK Legacy discussion

MK will never look good on the silver screen because Scorpion and Sub Zero look completely retarded in their ninja costumes.
In every adaptation they look like Power Ranger villains.

I thought the appearance of Scorpion and Sub-Zero (his first, not the latter) in Legacy was pretty fair. Though, I think it's unavoidable with such characters that they'll stick out and look cheesy. Their in-game logic for existing and appearing as ancient ninja and cloaked Lin Kuei doesn't make sense (though the MKII comic by J. Tobias sort of brings light to this by showing Kuai Liang dressed as a civilian when meeting with Kung Lao and Liu Kang). This is one of the instances where I like Rebirth's concepts; how they portrayed Scorpion as a modern-day assassin makes sense realistically and design wise. Perhaps Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu could be gangs similar to Yakuza that have roots connecting as far back as ancient China and Japan, and in some instances, they could show how members carry on traditions of their clans by, for instance, showing occasional meetings where they dress in ceremonial garbs that gives winks to their original videogame attires. I'd be fine with seeing Hanzo pull off the skin of his non-masked face to reveal a rotten skull, though I'm not sure casuals and fans would care to see de-ninjatised assassin fighters.

Last edited:
For everyone commenting, just wanted to give a heads up on a production you all might care to hear about or not as it pertains to everyone's concerns here :)

This production is called Mortal Kombat: The One. I already posted here but want to give an update. This is an independent fan film being created by myself (Anthony Pellino) a life long fan. And a hardcore one to be exact, and from someone who loved Rebirth's tone, but despised its story. It is being crewed by students at NYU Tisch's film school, (consistently ranked as the best in the world next to USC's School of Cinematic Arts) and follows Raiden as he begins his quest to find Earth's fighters seven years before the first tournament with the help from Sub-Zero.

While it does not exactly follow the timeline of the games, (We talk about the Cyber Initiative before the 1st tournament,) I plan to introduce a tone and theme for the Mortal Kombat series that I feel has never been captured on screen and deserves to be. I do not want to give away any big spoilers for the story, except that a young Liu Kang and Kai are Raiden's first targets. We have cameos planned for Ermac, Shao Kahn, Kitana, and hopefully Kabal. All of our actors are professionally working in the field and 5 out of the 8 are members of the Screen Actors Guild. (SAG) This short will fall in the range of 16-18 minutes when finally edited to a master cut by the end of this year, and it is something I plan on everyone enjoying very much.

Thanks

Can't wait to watch and good luck! Wish I worked in the industry like that, so I'm a bit jealous lol

I want Kelly Hu as Jade!!! She can have that hair, the skin, and overall character of Jade!

I'd also like Sofia Vergara as Sindel!!!

Eh.. I hate to be the downer but after the last season, I'm having a tough time getting excited for legacy.

You guys seriously care?

We got nut house Raiden, bald Shang Tsung, tentacles summoning Ermac and paintball gear wearing Sub-Zero so far. WHAT'S NEXT?

I don't like Kevin's vision of MK.

Btw, Assassin's Fist is getting a Blu-Ray release, now that was awesome.

You guys seriously care?

We got nut house Raiden, bald Shang Tsung, tentacles summoning Ermac and paintball gear wearing Sub-Zero so far. WHAT'S NEXT?

I don't like Kevin's vision of MK.

Btw, Assassin's Fist is getting a Blu-Ray release, now that was awesome.

It wasn't even just the vision. The dialog along with some of the bad actors were cringe worthy. Too much time was spent on needless things like Kung Lao training and re-showing the ermac/kenshi fight. The budget constraint is obvious and the story is beyond rushed. I was optimistic until I actually watched that last season and now I'm glad Kevin got taken off the movie cause it would have sucked. Sucks it seems the movie was canceled all together though.