Liu Kang tweets

rather than a deadly alliance of quan hi and shang tsung....he somehow comes across liu kangs body and wakes him up and poisons liu's mind, at times liu kangs fights it but quan chi overall does control him for only a certain amount of time. even with liu kang in future has full control of himself he still holds anamosity to Raiden

Agreed with both, but my point with my previous post was that Liu Kang coming back as a fire god wouldn't really be much of a "surprise," as him becoming a fire god has been a suggested scenario for Liu, before.
When Ed said a "surprise returning character" would be the final boss, I also imagined a scenario where it's like
"Wow. I didn't see that coming, at all."
Fire god Liu Kang wouldn't really do that for me in MKX, as he seems too obvious to be a final boss.
Dunno.
Maybe it's just me.

Yup. I said in a different thread, about the big bad:

I think it'll either be a complete surprise and we'll all be like: OMG or it'll be a disappointing choice. I don't see much middle ground. Why? Well, let's talk about it for a minute:

It was said that it's a "surprise returning character" - but that was the context of this answer? I don't remember, but if it was said to some game website or anything of that kind, how seriously can we take this answer? For a casual player, for instance, anyone would be a surprise returning character. Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Sindel, heck, even Jax would be a "surprise returning character" for someone who isn't that much into the game. A casual player wouldn't expect Jax's giant boot to be the boss.

Then we see the other side of the coin which is the hardcore MK player... what would be a true surprise for such player?
Liu Kang? But we already have the feeling that it may be him and there were hints towards this before. You take his MK9 ending, the fact that he's not announced yet and his previous storyline (he dies, becomes a zombie, comes back from death to fight) and it is quite a clear possibility. Fire-God Liu Kang is just a new twist for the zombie Liu Kang from MKD.
Evil Raiden? Same as Liu Kang, how exactly is this surprising for a hardcore fan? His previous storyline also had shades of corrupted Raiden, he was called a mad man quite a few times during MK9 and there's this thing called MK Legacy which also shows a crazy Raiden. It's not surprising.

The fact is: throw any major name as an option and we won't be surprised since we have lots and lots of reasons to point such characters as a possible boss. Shinnok, Mileena, etc are all characters that we already saw and more than that: already were thrown as possible bosses, almost as if to distract us. To make my first point clear, let me create three new theories:
Noob Saibot or anything related to him - He was thrown in the Soulnado and his definitive fate is unknown. Sub-Zero's true identity is almost being kept as a secret for MKX. In the trailer we see the new faces looking for Sub-Zero's help/advice/whatever. Then something that resembles a "blood Soulnado" appears as the "blood demon". Mix all these facts in a cup and there's the possibility that Noob Saibot actually got more friggin' powerful thanks to the Soulnado for some reason and is now a huge threat, thus why his brother's assistance is seek.
A new take on Ermac and Liu Kang's spirit - This is a quick theory. In the old timeline Liu Kang's spirit was helped by Ermac. What if in this timeline he actually joined Ermac and the result is some sort of Fire-God-Ermac boss?
Shang Tsung and a new take on the Deadly Alliance - Another quick one. The Deadly Alliance was a huge event in the old timeline. Shang Tsung was the very first MK boss and as the "Goro Lives" teaser shows us, they like to give some nods to the classic games. Somehow he is reborn as the "blood demon" (we're calling it that but we don't even know for sure what it is) and Shinnok being imprisoned in the amulet has something to do with it. A new alliance is born.

But back to my main point, which is the true surprise or huge disappointment... really, who's left to fit the surprise returning character position? You can throw any name there and most of them won't satisfy. I just created three new theories which could be "surprising", but would them make fans happy? This is my point: in the end it all amounts to possibilities we're aware of and are not surprising or possibilities that could be surprising but aren't much satisfactory. It'll either be a HUGE surprise (and I don't see how it can be) or a disappointment. Be ready.

As I said, I think we should put Boon's quote in proper context. Did he meant a surprise in a more casual way or a surprise for the actual hardcore fan? Is Onaga a true surprise or... aren't we discussing the possibility and couldn't we see it coming from the Kamidogu and so on? In the end, I think this whole "surprise" talk is very subjective. I do think that Onaga fits in MKX theme, though - the whole "who's the deserving ruler of Outworld?" thing and all.

Yup. I said in a different thread, about the big bad:

As I said, I think we should put Boon's quote in proper context. Did he meant a surprise in a more casual way or a surprise for the actual hardcore fan? Is Onaga a true surprise or... aren't we discussing the possibility and couldn't we see it coming from the Kamidogu and so on? In the end, I think this whole "surprise" talk is very subjective. I do think that Onaga fits in MKX theme, though - the whole "who's the deserving ruler of Outworld?" thing and all.

You make some great points, and I agree that anyone who's genuinely hoping to be surprised by the main villain is setting him or herself up for disappointment. The best course of action (if you want to enjoy MKX, anyway) is to focus not on the villain's identity, but on the path the narrative will take getting us to that climactic final battle.

You make some great points, and I agree that anyone who's genuinely hoping to be surprised by the main villain is setting him or herself up for disappointment. The best course of action (if you want to enjoy MKX, anyway) is to focus not on the villain's identity, but on the path the narrative will take getting us to that climactic final battle.

Thanks. I'm not sure who the boss will be (after all we have many ideas but nothing certain), but I just expect it'll be a good overall story. It doesn't need to be a new view of the old stuff, we already had the old timeline. It would be nice to see nods towards the previous events, though! Onaga, a new Deadly Alliance, etc. At least some new takes on the old ideas would make up for the lack of certain characters, I think.

Liu Kang is the epitome of dull. He's quite honestly the most unimaginative character in the entire series and I will never understand why people are so obsessed with him. What does he have to offer besides being a stereotypical Asian man with annoying grunts/moans, martial arts & fireballs? He's had his time to shine, I think they should keep him dead.

Every fighting game has their Bruce Lee clone. He's the only one in Mortal Kombat, so he's unique when taken into isolated consideration lol

Liu Kang is the epitome of dull. He's quite honestly the most unimaginative character in the entire series and I will never understand why people are so obsessed with him. What does he have to offer besides being a stereotypical Asian man with annoying grunts/moans, martial arts & fireballs? He's had his time to shine, I think they should keep him dead.

Given where MK9 left him (dead in a ditch with a little help from his friends), Liu Kang is a prime candidate for a good guy gone bad in this re-imagined timeline. MK is actually remarkably, extraordinarily, shockingly short on that archetype. Plenty of bad guys who go good, but with the dubious exception of Scorpion, no good guys who go bad whatsoever.

So he'll go bad. Because he's the hero MK deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

i have a question what if liu kang role is like avengers civil war iron man or the captain america have raiden be the opsite of liu kang iron man or captain america

i have a question what if liu kang role is avengers civil war like tony stark or the captain america have rainben be the opisote of liu kang tony stark or captain america

And Sub-Zero is like Spiderman, finally revealing his freaking identity in public.

i have a question what if liu kang role is avengers civil war like tony stark or the captain america have rainben be the opisote of liu kang tony stark or captain america

Rainben should absolutely be the opisote of Captain America. That's a fantasit idea.

And Sub-Zero is like Spiderman, finally revealing his freaking identity on public.

hay i'm just saying liu kang probally still hate raiden for what he done last game maybe the elder gods found what raiden been doing and make liu kang a god to opposite raiden and stop whatever he doing and a civil war happens brake out with liu kang group and raiden group

Last edited:
hay i'm just saying liu kang probally still hate raiden for what he done last game maybe the elder gods found what raiden been doing and make liu kang a god to opposite raiden and stop whatever he doing and a civil war happens brake out with liu kang group and raiden group

Oh I don't know about that theory, I just made a joke about it since people is still wondering who the hell is MKX Sub-Zero and Spiderman actually reveals his identity on live TV during the civil war.

Oh I don't know about that theory, I just made a joke about it since people is still wondering who the hell is MKX Sub-Zero and Spiderman actually reveals his identity on live TV during the civil war.

i know you did by the way what do about spider final being in marvel movies?

i know you did by the way what do about spider final being in marvel movies?

Well I'll go off topic just for a bit, doesn't matter though this is still more interesting than Liu Kang lol

I think they agreed on sharing the rights to the character in movies.

Marvel can have Spiderman in his movies (rumors say Avengers 3 and 4 are going to feature him) and Sony can still make Spidey movies.

Marvel and Sony will have different actors incarnating Spidey though.

Well I'll go off topic just for a bit, doesn't matter though this is still more interesting than Liu Kang lol

I think they agreed on sharing the rights to the character in movies.

Marvel can have Spiderman in his movies (rumors say Avengers 3 and 4 are going to feature him) and Sony can still make Spidey movies.

Marvel and Sony will have different actors incarnating Spidey though.
what do you think though i'm not really a marvel fan so i want to know your feeling of this news?

Well to be fair Mileena never really had nothing going for her either. yeah she may look more appealing but in the end of the day she is just a female Loki a one dimensional villain , a little cry baby who thinks they are entitled to something just because no rhyme or reason.

You say what does Liu have to offer. Well to me (and maybe other fans) Liu inspires me to better myself . Liu is the light in this dark and gruesome world (guess you can say he is sorta like the Superman of the Mk universe). So yeah I rather take the humble boring character that inspires me to better myself in both life and my martial arts training over a popular spoiled brat who gets mad because she doesnt get what she wants

Well to be fair Mileena never really had nothing going for her either. yeah she may look more appealing but in the end of the day she is just a female Loki a one dimensional villain , a little cry baby who thinks they are entitled to something just because no rhyme or reason.

You say what does Liu have to offer. Well to me (and maybe other fans) Liu inspires me to better myself . Liu is the light in this dark and gruesome world (guess you can say he is sorta like the Superman of the Mk universe). So yeah I rather take the humble boring character that inspires me to better myself in both life and my martial arts training over a popular spoiled brat who gets mad because she doesnt get what she wants

Mileena has nothing going for her?

"Shang Tsung has created many abominable creatures in his Flesh Pits, but none so twisted as Mileena. A fusion of Edenian flesh and Tarkatan blood, Mileena is both beauty and beast. This dichotomy has made her mind unstable; she is prone to fits of madness and savagery. Though she has the appearance of a mature woman, she is more child than adult--a blank slate conformed to Shao Kahn's will. Devoid of conscience or remorse, Mileena will butcher anyone to appease her beloved father."

As far as I'm concerned, she's far more creative than some boring monk who's goal is to save his precious Earth from the 'bad guys'. There is absolutely nothing unique or interesting about Liu Kang or any aspect of his character.

Mileena has nothing going for her?

"Shang Tsung has created many abominable creatures in his Flesh Pits, but none so twisted as Mileena. A fusion of Edenian flesh and Tarkatan blood, Mileena is both beauty and beast. This dichotomy has made her mind unstable; she is prone to fits of madness and savagery. Though she has the appearance of a mature woman, she is more child than adult--a blank slate conformed to Shao Kahn's will. Devoid of conscience or remorse, Mileena will butcher anyone to appease her beloved father."

As far as I'm concerned, she's far more creative than some boring monk who's goal is to save his precious Earth from the 'bad guys'. There is absolutely nothing unique or interesting about Liu Kang or any aspect of his character.

We actually agree on something.