Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

MKX looks pretty next-gen, to me, which is why I think that if it ever comes to PS3 and 360 that it'll look pretty shitty.
The Fatalities and X-Rays are quite a step up from MK9 in terms of gore tech and actual visuals.
Guts being spilled in MKX don't look like a bunch of steaks falling out, like they did in MK9 (Skarlet).

As for games (IMO):
Injustice 2 is likely.
SM sequel doesn't seem as likely, given that it doesn't seem like they even want to take that risk with an action-adventure game, now that they are under WB.

OK, but they're still using UE3 with which can only do so much. Personally I was more impressed with MK9 when it came out visually than with MKX. The difference though is MK9 came out 4 years ago, when UE3 wasn't so dated. In comparison MKX uses the same tech with more modifications. Whatever they were, they definitely didn't impress that much, and certainly won't cut it in 4 years time. But that's just my opinion.

The fact is that UE4 is now available for devs, and from what I can see more and more developers are going for that option. I see no reason why not to, it's a fresh engine with some great potential and tools. Unless you're in the same position like Killing Floor 2 devs - UE3 already pushed to the limits + some UE4 tech incorporated + don't want to spend a few years learning and starting to convert the entire game into UE4...

I didn't mean a sequel for SM. Boon and NRS have been asked to death for a SM-type game. Obviously people want it, and I see no reason why WB would say "look guys, I know you make MK games for a living, but this one that people actually want? Skip it."

Obviously people want it, and I see no reason why WB would say "look guys, I know you make MK games for a living, but this one that people actually want? Skip it."

I could see it not happening for 1 reason.
More people will buy MK fighters than they ever will an MK action-adventure game, and at the end of the day WB also wants to make more money.
The sale numbers don't lie.

I was hoping for this in MKX. I doubt Johnny will stay out of an MK game for a while though. Sonya, possibly.

I was expecting Raiden, Sonya and Johnny in this game, seeing as they were the surviving heroes of MK9.
Those 2 didn't ever seem like they'd be out, for me.
As far as Jax goes, when they announced Jacqui, I kind of figured that Jax would also be playable.
Dead people don't procreate.

As for MK11, yeah, I hope that this is their last hurrah for a game or 2, so that their kids can now take the torch that their parents passed to them.
Cassie Cage defeating Shinnok and Johnny Cage having faith in the team of Cassie, Takeda, Kung Jin and Jacqui were the 2 biggest displays of passing the torch, imo.

Cassie Cage defeating Shinnok and Johnny Cage having faith in the team of Cassie, Takeda, Kung Jin and Jacqui were the 2 biggest displays of passing the torch, imo.

Very much so. This is easily Shinnok's final time being playable. Cassie will likely take Liu Kangs role as the protag in future games for now.
I also don't see Ferra/Torr returning. At least not Torr. They're the moloch/drahmin of the new TL. One game and disappearing.

MKX looks pretty next-gen, to me, which is why I think that if it ever comes to PS3 and 360 that it'll look pretty shitty.
The Fatalities and X-Rays are quite a step up from MK9 in terms of gore tech and actual visuals.
Guts being spilled in MKX don't look like a bunch of steaks falling out, like they did in MK9 (Skarlet).

As for games (IMO):
Injustice 2 is likely.
SM sequel doesn't seem as likely, given that it doesn't seem like they even want to take that risk with an action-adventure game, now that they are under WB.
Wasn't the last MK action/adventure a commercial success?

And there's STILL unfinished business with Fire and Ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I could see it not happening for 1 reason.
More people will buy MK fighters than they ever will an MK action-adventure game, and at the end of the day WB also wants to make more money.
The sale numbers don't lie.

You sound like SM was some kind of a failure. Besides in there they can try something different for a change. For one, MKX story was complete ass, and to be honest the entire chapter thing which are composed of QTE's, talking scenes and a mandatory fight doesn't seem the best way to story tell. Sort of exciting at start, but then it becomes boring and tedious. For two, people loved MKD conquest and been asking for it as well...
And regarding sales. People are gonna buy the game anyways because
a) Two previously successful games in a row (excluding the PC disaster)
b) Mortal Kombat
c) Scorpion/Sub-Zero on the cover
d) Long pause between games

Last edited:
Wasn't the last MK action/adventure a commercial success?

And there's STILL unfinished business with Fire and Ice.

Sure, but when you take the track record of Mythologies, Special Forces and Shaolin Monks, only 1 of those had a huge amount of success.
Even then, it doesn't compare to the sales figures of MK fighting games.
Also, if action-adventure games were something that WB wanted to take a risk with, then why wasn't there an action adventure game for PS3 and 360?
It was so wonderful that it skipped a generation?

Fire and Ice doesn't need to be done.
That issue was settled in MKX when Scorpion and Sub-Zero squashed the beef and Scorpion killed Quan Chi.
After MKX, there is no one left for Sub-Zero and Scorpion to hunt after.

You sound like SM was some kind of a failure. Besides in there they can try something different for a change. For one, MKX story was complete ass, and to be honest the entire chapter thing which are composed of QTE's, talking scenes and a mandatory fight doesn't seem the best way to story tell. Sort of exciting at start, but then it becomes boring and tedious. For two, people loved MKD conquest and been asking for it as well...
And regarding sales. People are gonna buy the game anyways because
a) Two previously successful games in a row
b) Mortal Kombat
c) Scorpion/Sub-Zero on the cover
d) Long pause between games

Huh?
How so?
I never said or implied that SM was a failure, but way to put words in my mouth.
I just said that the sales numbers for MK action adventure games don't compare with MK fighting games, and that's the truth.
They don't.
Sales figures don't lie.
Regarding sales:
a) and b) that's true for MK fighting games, and you can't automatically assume that to be true for an action adventure game, which they have yet to do in 2 generations of game consoles (PS3, 360, PS4 or X1).
c) 2 previously terrible action-adventure games (Sub-Zero Mythologies, Special Forces) and 1 good one (Shaolin Monks).
d) the long pause between MK games is what they'll use Injustice 2 for.

Last edited:
Sure, but when you take the track record of Mythologies, Special Forces and Shaolin Monks, only 1 of those had a huge amount of success.

And that was the most recent one. Isn't this a "what have you done for me lately" business?

And Fire and Ice DOES need to be done because we the fans were promised it. Shouldn't a man's word mean something?

Where exactly are you getting the sale figures? I remember SM being a successful game, and it was sold a lot. That's all.
Of course WB are going to aim for more sales. That doesn't mean that an SM type game will be a turnover suicide. They've built an audience, and now it can only grow. I'm pretty sure the criteria goes like this:
a) Is the franchise on the radar
b) Can we milk more from it without being too repetitive
c) Can you guarantee X amount of sales

Otherwise expect nothing but MK9-X/Injustice type of games from NRS. Yeah, I don't think that's happening.

And that was the most recent one. Isn't this a "what have you done for me lately" business?

And Fire and Ice DOES need to be done because we the fans were promised it. Shouldn't a man's word mean something?

Yes, and the most recent what have you done for me lately in regards to MK are MK9 and MKX.
If WB / NRS has faith in another action-adventure game, wouldn't they have done that instead in-between the time of MK9 and Injustice?
It's pretty apparent that WB doesn't have faith in an MK action-adventure game and they'd prefer a fighter.

Fire and Ice was cancelled, and the fans weren't promised anything.
Most people outside of this forum had no idea that Fire and Ice was being done until it was cancelled by Midway LA (aka Paradox).

Yes, and the most recent what have you done for me lately in regards to MK are MK9 and MKX.
If WB / NRS has faith in another action-adventure game, wouldn't they have done that instead in-between the time of MK9 and Injustice?
It's pretty apparent that WB doesn't have faith in an MK action-adventure game and they'd prefer a fighter.

Fire and Ice was cancelled, and the fans weren't promised anything.
Most people outside of this forum had no idea that Fire and Ice was being done until it was cancelled by Midway LA (aka Paradox).
Fire and Ice was entitled to exist by the success of Shaolin Monks alone.

Fire and Ice was entitled to exist by the success of Shaolin Monks alone.

No, it was not.
Gamers may have felt entitled as they tend to do these days, but Midway didn't promise anything to the fans.

Where exactly are you getting the sale figures? I remember SM being a successful game, and it was sold a lot. That's all.
Of course WB are going to aim for more sales. That doesn't mean that an SM type game will be a turnover suicide. They've built an audience, and now it can only grow. I'm pretty sure the criteria goes like this:
a) Is the franchise on the radar
b) Can we milk more from it without being too repetitive
c) Can you guarantee X amount of sales

Otherwise expect nothing but MK9-X/Injustice type of games from NRS. Yeah, I don't think that's happening.

Global sales (in millions of units) per game:

MK9 - 2.69 million (PS3), 1.99 million (360)
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?nam...sher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Shaolin Monks - 0.69 million (PS3), 0.31 million (360)
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?nam...sher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

As I previously said, the numbers don't lie.

7 years is way too long for a new MK game. The longest wait we had for a MK game was the 5 year gab between MK4 and MKDA. The technology gab between 1997 and 2002 was pretty big at the time. I feel like if WB wants to keep MK going after MKX then give us a new movie, animated series and a spin off game before 2019. I don't think the series will suffer from franchise fatigue again like it did after 1995.

7 years is way too long for a new MK game. The longest wait we had for a MK game was the 5 year gab between MK4 and MKDA. The technology gab between 1997 and 2002 was pretty big at the time. I feel like if WB wants to keep MK going after MKX then give us a new movie, animated series and a spin off game before 2019. I don't think the series will suffer from franchise fatigue again like it did after 1995.
We need more frequency than just 4 years for proper installments of the series. After all, how can less MK be more? It's impossible. MORE MK is more.

Agreed, [MENTION=11230]Guyver Spawn[/MENTION].

7 years is way too long for an MK game sequel to be released on this gen.
7 years is The Last Guardian type of development hell that I'm pretty sure NRS doesn't want to endure.

Re: Story Wishlist for Mortal Kombat 11/III

Which is why I want 2 years for MK11. Twice as long as Madden, yet only half as long as the last wait. Mortal Kombat is too big of a name to wait 4 years.

Which is why I want 2 years for MK11. Twice as long as Madden, yet only half as long as the last wait. Mortal Kombat is too big of a name to wait 4 years.

Injustice is also a HUGE name, especially with it having the most popular DC heroes and villains in it.

I'm also wishing for an MK sequel in 2 years, but there's a BIG difference between what I want and what I think will happen.
I think that Injustice 2 is more likely to be next after MKX.

Injustice is also a HUGE name, especially with it having the most popular DC heroes and villains in it.

I'm also wishing for an MK sequel in 2 years, but there's a difference between what I want and what I think will happen.
I think that Injustice 2 is likely next after MKX.

Injustice = 1

Mortal Kombat = 10

Injustice is mathematically a fire ant compared to MK. If Injustice really is that important to WB, then they should hand it over to Rocksteady so we can get MK11 in a timely fashion.

MK9 - 2.69 million (PS3), 1.99 million (360)

Shaolin Monks - 0.69 million (PS3), 0.31 million (360)

As I previously said, the numbers don't lie.

Game released in 2005 vs game released in 2011. Point? None.

Here. Allow me to demonstrate using the same website. Deception vs SM.
Deception: 0.92m
SM: 0.58m
Year of release matters a lot, plus nobody says that those statistics are 100% accurate.

A slight advantage for Deception for a number of reasons. Yeah, there's nothing showing that an SM type game would be some sort of a cash grab suicide.

Last edited: