Kitana Thread - "You'll Learn Respect!"

i find smoke is ok against kitana ???

ivital, i find baraka poses a challenge for johnny.

you would think since smoke can shut kitana's zone game down, this would be an easy match for smoke. Reality is, kitana still wins this matchup. This match is where kitana's rushdown comes into play. Kitana's normals are faster than smoke's. I poke with d3 a lot so just in case smoke's tries to use ex parry, the d3 hits him out of it. Poke with 2, its fast, it has decent range and can be linked into anything special.

Just watch out for his smoke bomb and try not to let him land a combo or get you in the corner, as that is very treacherous, especially if smoke has meter. Bait smoke into using teleport, shake, and smoke bomb so you can punish hard. Also, smoke's tend to use air teleport and purposely whiff it so he lands right next to you. if timed correctly, that tactic can be punished with an AA 2 and combination from there.

Yes, kitana not being able to zone in this match sucks, but if you rush correctly, think accordingly and bait, this match is hers.

Since my salty Kitana post, i've been using other characters.

CSZ still struggles like Hell but I do better with Baraka now. I've been using Freddy quite a lot and he is pretty good against her. He has crazy zoning as well and while he doesnt have a single mid air move, claw, freddy fingers, hell spikes and sweet dreams can give her trouble, and you can even teleport through her fans.

Since my salty Kitana post, i've been using other characters.

CSZ still struggles like Hell but I do better with Baraka now. I've been using Freddy quite a lot and he is pretty good against her. He has crazy zoning as well and while he doesnt have a single mid air move, claw, freddy fingers, hell spikes and sweet dreams can give her trouble, and you can even teleport through her fans.

OMG f u c k Freddy lol. I don't know that match up at all and its hard as hell to win. she can't zone him and he can zone her and its hard to hit him because of that nightmare stance. ughhhhhhh

Well I decided to play mk9 but this time around I wanted to play someone different. What do ya know it seems there have been nerfs and buffs to a lot of people. A few questions how did this affect kitana? Question 2 I browsed through the combo thread and noticed she had even more combos than I remember on her release. So I have no idea what her bnb combo is what are her more safer combo starters. What can she do with no meeter and so on. I made up my mind this year I am going to evo. So please tell me straight thanks. Also whats up with 4 lift? Not getting it ?

She was never significantly changed during a patch. Her only changes have been to lower her damage.

You should find your own BNB juggles. Try out the ones you see on the internet and figure out which ones you're comfortable with. Like the most common f+2,1 combo is f+2,1, njp, 4~fan, 4~lift, b+2~fan, fan, 4~cutter for 45%. However I do f+2,1, b+2~fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter for 39%. It's 6% less but I like it because it's super easy. It's reliable online and when I'm under pressure in tournament play.

With the exception of Fan Lift her combo starters are safe on block. F+2,1 is minor disadvantage on block. F+4,1 is neutral on block(but the first hit is high and can be ducked and uppercutted). Fan Lift gets blown up on block but you're really only using it as a desperation wakeup attack and off a hit confirm like 2,1~lift.

If you mean 4~lift after 4~fan then it just takes practice. I do a slight dash before the 4~fan and 4~lift. You can sub in 2~lift, it's easier and does just 2% less.

can't wait to try this out.

edited: With some trying out alot of trying out.

She was never significantly changed during a patch. Her only changes have been to lower her damage.
However I do f+2,1, b+2~fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter for 39%.

this combo is kind of interesting I got several different damage outputs on it I have gotten 40% many times doing it. One thing you did not mention is should it be like this? f+2,1, b+2~fan,dash, fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter for 39%.

f+2,1 combo is f+2,1, njp, 4~fan, 4~lift, b+2~fan, fan, 4~cutter for 45%.

If you mean 4~lift after 4~fan then it just takes practice. I do a slight dash before the 4~fan and 4~lift. You can sub in 2~lift, it's easier and does just 2% less.

4~anything gives me problems lift or fan. But are you saying that I can take any combo and replace 4 with 2 and it will only do 2 less damage per every 4 i take out. So in this combo it will be 41%?

edited again With more Updates in progress

f+2,1 combo is f+2,1, njp, 4~fan, 2~lift, b+2~fan, fan, 4~cutter for 41% did I miss something? seems to work okay for me till I can iron out 4~lift.

Last edited:
A few Kit questions:

I've been maining Kitana offline with family and I relied heavily on her fans, but I'm wondering if I come across as a spammer online, is fan zoning her main game?

I tend to play a lot of runaway with her square wave and try and keep fans flying across the screen as much as is safe, I really only fight up close when they've managed to close the gap and I need to go on the offensive to get away again. I use Cutting Fan a lot here, but rarely Fan Lift.

I also hardly use the Pretty Legs and Fake Out moves, should I be utilising them more and when?

A few Kit questions:

I've been maining Kitana offline with family and I relied heavily on her fans, but I'm wondering if I come across as a spammer online, is fan zoning her main game?

I tend to play a lot of runaway with her square wave and try and keep fans flying across the screen as much as is safe, I really only fight up close when they've managed to close the gap and I need to go on the offensive to get away again. I use Cutting Fan a lot here, but rarely Fan Lift.

I also hardly use the Pretty Legs and Fake Out moves, should I be utilising them more and when?

lol u fight like me. Iafs the whole match and only fight when the gap is closed.

but when it comes to characters that can outzone her (sindel, noob, mileena, Kang, Kabal, Freddy, reptile, skarlet, kenshi), I wouldn't throw too much fans. throw a couple iafs and ground fans here and there, but don't zone. in these MU's, ex iButtSmash becomes your best friend since it has armor and will plow through the zoning. kitana has a very good rushdown game so don't be afraid to get in someones face.

cutting fan is good but don't get into the habit of using it a lot as it can be ducked and punished by a full combo. fan lift is very good. its a good AA, decent wake-up attack, can catch an opponent after a combo string if they aren't expecting it, and can be used to interrupt some wake up attacks.

I don't use pretty kick at all but I do tend to use ex pretty kick at times since it causes a knockdown. I also use fake out kick a lot too, catches most people by surprise

How about getting pressure off after a block? Sadly I got several rage mail messages today, so I know my fight style is somewhat annoying. I don't just spam, but I do like to see fans whirling about a lot....

And because I'm still new and learning the ropes I really need help with Scorpion, I've always hated fighting him and now he's just even worse with the unblockable flames, he has so many high low specials I find the match a real toughy. To make matters worse he is by far the most common character I've fought online, sadly he's fast becomming my Ken.

Specifically, after a knockdown I always get flamed, what's the best thing for Kitana to do against that? Also what should I do after I block a teleport?

Scorpion is the only fight I get rage at because I fight a lot who I sense are not any better at the game than me, but they seem to win so much easier. I don't mind losing to players who just plain fight better, but I rage when I die repeatedly to Scorpions I know are at my level. :O)

Last edited:
Specifically, after a knockdown I always get flamed, what's the best thing for Kitana to do against that? Also what should I do after I block a teleport?

Scorpion is the only fight I get rage at because I fight a lot who I sense are not any better at the game than me, but they seem to win so much easier. I don't mind losing to players who just plain fight better, but I rage when I die repeatedly to Scorpions I know are at my level. :O)

After blocking a teleport, tap 3 (front kick) and immediately go into an Upraise (Fan Lift), combo off that IF Scorpion bounces off your block. If he doesn't bounce off, a DF+2 or go for a throw. Be careful though as some players can get off a hit after the block.

After a knockdown, do a wakeup attack....pretty kick or square boost. The latter can work against you depending where on screen you are...too far and you'll land right at their feet leaving you vulnerable.

Doing 3 into up life scales the damage. After a block teleport just B+2, air fan, ground fan into cutting fan around 20-31% damage I think, so he will think twice about using his unsafe teleport.

Her pretty kick is probably her worst wake up, Cutting fan is sooo much better because she's at advantage plus if scorpion is hit you can get a free Jump in punch into cutting fan pressure ( 2,2,1 cutting fan)

Thanks again, I'm still struggling with Scorpions one, but I a making them suffer more if they throw out too many random teleports.

My problem is if I block they flame, if I release block to jump or dash in they spear and if I release block to throw fans they teleport.

Is Scorpion just a case of really trying to read their patterns? Kitana feels noob friendly to me, but Scorpion just seems like a blind dog can pick up and win at low level fighting.

To make it worse, hes a bad one to have a problem with because I seem to fight him 50% more than any other character.

Kitana's Petty Kick is actually a good wake-up when used correctly, as a lot of people do not expect it since it's not used too much. If you are knocked down close, that wake-up can catch some people off guard. If you aren't at least a jump's distance from the opponent then it is indeed useless.

Kitana has one of the more natural, flowing styles in the game which makes her an exceptional character for a wide range of skill sets.

Scorpion is Ed Boon's favorite character by his own admission, so by default Scorpion is going to be the most accessible/favored character...then, now, and always. He's not impossible, but he is also easy to exploit spam/cheap tactics.

The goal is to "fake out" Scorpion players. Use the block to get them to flame. When you sense they are going for it, do a square boost (you can combo as soon as you land as the frames for the flame move will still be completing). Same thing if you anticipate they'll toss a spear...jump towards and square boost especially if across the screen.

The worst thing to do is whip fans at people nilly-willy. It leaves Kitana open.

@ Kogia

This is why you constantly move and always anticipate, since it's a unblockable about 85% of the time they're going to do it if you're at fullscreen it's best not to just block out in the open anyways, it's best to block when trying to get in (Dash blocking) or when taking chip from strings from your opponent.

Scorpion strategy that works for me!

Since you're a average Kitana player it's best to stay in his face, her Cutting fan block string is the best thing to use. 2,2,1 into cutting fan it could also be used to put them in a guessing game also, if you 2,2 into grab they you get roughly around 15% damage (Combined with chip and the throw) and about 3% With the cutting fan pressure. Remember to always go for that free Jump in Punch in they don't block the cutter fan after the block string because it puts them back in a guessing situation.

Use her D+1 into fake out kick, condition them to block low then follow up with F+4, 1 (The 1 hits as a overhead oppening them uo for a BnB combo)

Now, the scorpion teleporting over your fans.. This is a good thing in a way.

Say if I'm at fullscreene and I throw fans and attempt to keep scorpion away, but he times his teleport right to get back in my face and apply pressure. In your mind it's like "Ok he teleported and It countered my fans so I'm not going to try that anymore" But it's really about baiting that teleport and punishing it. try to figure out his pattern in between his teleport when you're throwing fans.

@Dirtywhore.

There's nothing cheap about scorpion bro, sure the flame is unblockable but if the opponent is at the right distance and they predict right that scorpion is open to almost anything.

@Dirtywhore.

There's nothing cheap about scorpion bro, sure the flame is unblockable but if the opponent is at the right distance and they predict right that scorpion is open to almost anything.

The vast majority of people will exploit spam tactics especially when a character has an unblockable or easy/quick-to-perform move which is cheap. In the wrong hands, Scorpion is cheap (but highly predictable). In the right hands, he's a decent character (but not as predictable).

Personally I find Scorpion one of the most boring characters to play as because everyone and their mother, brother, fifth cousin twice removed, and family dog pick Scorpion so 9/10 times I'm able to guess how their going to play. The other fall-back is...wait for it.........Sub-Zero. Runners up seem to be Smoke, Ermac, and Noob Saibot.

That is why I stopped playing online. The predictability of who people will pick, the poor connectivity, and bots makes MK not as fun as it should be online.

Lol? You quit because of the lack of character variation? That's not cool bro, That tells me you not playing for the competitive aspects of the game.

Scorpion is nowhere close to cheap the only thing he has going for him is his 50/50 Vortex mix-up and decent pressure strings if you can eliminate those factors scorpion is almost useless. His hellfire isn't all that great also...

1) it doesn't work against characters who can iAf unless you EX it and it's not worth the bar to be honest, I would rather EX teleport and start pressure (if they block it)

2) If it whiffs he's open because of the slow recovery time.

I'm thrilled you get very involved in being incredibly competitive over a video game. As for me, I have better things to do than get that invested in a silly game. It is what it is and I simply enjoy it offline more than online. If that's not "cool", oh well. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I'm thrilled you get very involved in being incredibly competitive over a video game. As for me, I have better things to do than get that invested in a silly game. It is what it is and I simply enjoy it offline more than online. If that's not "cool", oh well. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

.... <_< How can you have fun when you can predict what the AI is going to do every match? o.o

When I said "cool" I didn't mean it like that. All I'm saying is that why would you give up over a small problem? I have better things to do also, school, friends, sports. but spending a few weekends playing MK got me where I am today.

At the end of the day, you love playing a game, getting invested in its mechanics, strategies, and what not whereas me, I like to just play to casually learn and couldn't care less about having to know every in and out. I play in practice mode on expert mode because the AI challenges me enough and I actually pick up a few things in an hour worth of time without the hassle of finding a decent match (lag and skill) with a person online who in all probability is more obsessed over their win/loss stats than actually playing a game with skill.

In the end, it is just an entertaining game so no matter how good or bad you are at it, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.