Jade Thread - "Good Boy!"

I'll most likely give up on little gimped Jade and move over to Kitana. After countless hours of losing, trying, losing more, trying more, I've discerned the following:

1. Projectiles are next to useless because they are too slow.
2. Glow duration is too short and is easily tricked by the opponent.
3. Shadow kick is the only move with an advantage,
4. all her other moves are like "Yeah, but she has THIS too so let's make THAT one weaker. But she also has THAT one so let's make THIS one weaker as well.)
I mean, her moves are overcompensating the existence of one another and thus they are all sh*t
5. She has no combo that "hits first". By hits first I mean if we're standing at a distance and we hit the button the exact same moment, or even if I hit mine first, you will always hit me and interrupt my move.
6. Her moves (including combos) are easy to evade and very easy to counter.

All in all, I don't think they were thinking when they built this character. She's pretty useless.

You know nothing of Jade. She's an astounding character and is one of the most deadly in the cast. Fight someone who knows how to use her (I can.. somewhat) and you'll probably come back and delete this post.

Thank you, Magnum... I'm trying, I'm trying. Could you give me some tips on those pokes perhaps please? :) I mean I know how b3 2 or b3 cancel works, but 23f2 and f212 aren't among my most used moves as they tend to get me raEpD.

Abuse U+3. Do it. Lol It's got great range, there are very few characters that can punish it (Kabal's Nomad Dash, Kung Lao's EX Spin, Reptile's Elbow Dash, and I think Raiden's Electric Fly), and it'll drive your opponent nuts. Now, when I say abuse, I don't mean spam incessantly. Spamming's often times a good way to get figured out really quickly. What I meant was to throw it out early and often, start the match with U+3 (it will hit most of the time), throw it out when you read them trying to sweep you (it goes right over lows), it can also be combo'd into X-Ray for an easy, and unbreakable, 43% damage (a good way to close a match while circumventing your opponent's breaker), it can also combo into EX Shadow Kick, Shadow Kick if you need some breathing room.

F+2,1,2 is safe on block, but if the first hit (F+2) is crouched then they can poke or uppercut you out of the string. That means using this too much against a smart opponent's going to lead to a lot of crouching. A good way to counter that if they start crouching and uppercutting you out of your string is to throw out F+2, anticipating the naked crouch and uppcercut, and then poke them with D+4. Jade's D+4 is very strong. If they're really like to crouch and poke with D+1, D+3, or D+4 that's when you start getting unfriendly and switch it up with 3,4, EX Staff Overhead. 3,4 is safe on block as well as being a mid hit and a low (handling the naked crouch) and canceling the string into an overhead combo starter is probably going to convince them to stop crouching your F+2,1,2 so much.

Trying's the most important part, honestly lol. I'm still learning Jade as well, but that fact that I'm always willing to learn from people here (Critical-Limit's the shit lol), learn from my losses online (of which there have been many trying to learn Jade lol), and keep spending time practicing with her to fine tune my game is what's going to really help me and the same seems true of you. Good luck with all of your Jade-based endeavors, hopefully my posts have helped. =)

That's some sound advice thank you. Can you tell me a bit more about those combos? I'm just about figuring out b3,2 and its cancels as well as using f212 and its cancels when I can safely do so. 12's cancels are money, but 23f2 is not something I figured out yet. Any tips?

I was watching EVO last night and not a single person used Jade. The reason: "Her play style is too high to use in tournament gameplay."
And that was stated by Tom "The Living Guide" Brady.

Hell, that sounds like "Jade is too complex a character to use".

What a pathetic excuse. This is coming from the guy that said Jax was God Tier.

This whole Tier crap is bull***
A character either fits your hand or it doesn't. I'm suffering with Jade atm but I'll get used to her as soon as i can lay my hand on some data.

A few things I figured out.
- Her 1 and 4 are pretty much among the fastest hits in-game so she's NOT That helpless upclose.
- 4 only combos with shadow kick and pole grab as well as the f3 generic which is a perfect "back off boi!" move.
- 1 combos with anything including shurikens and overhead.
- So a viable spam against having people in your face is 1,df4 (Safe on block) - 1,db2(Not so safe on block but good for a mixup) - 1,df2

Also.
There is no better proof to her being undergrade than the fact that nobody used her in Evo. I've heard all the counter-arguments, I have near 3000 games with Jade, and if anybody says they know her better I'm happy to take lessons BUT.

Suggestions to fix her:
1. Change the input of B,F3 (Shadow Flash) to B,B3 or DB3 because there have been multiple complaints about the input being both glitchy and hard to pull off in vice situations where it actually matters. It very often returns as a projectile and it is NOT the player's fault: The construction of the game pad and the game's code itself both make this input not ideal for a move so crucial.
- Double duration of EX Glow OR remove extra damage taken.

2. Projectiles as per suggested below.
All EX projectiles to gain proper armor, all projectiles to be useable in air.
- Air Low Shuriken should take a curve at a 45-ish angle downwards from her hitbox in air. (overhead properties)
- Air Straight Shuriken should go straight as the name shows.
- Air Upwards Shuriken should go backwards in air.

3. Change the 342 string for it to be more combo friendly.
- 3 should be a low kick just like every character, even Kano has one. (Currently it shares hit properties with B+3 which I think is an oversight.
- The 2 at the end should be a proper launcher. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why it skyrockets the opponent across the map impossible even for high shuriken to juggle but I haven't found it yet.

That's all she needs to be on the same level as Kitana or Scorpion.

^^Funny the commentators at EVO Dr Dog and someone else both mentioned Jade being a good character with a high learning curve requiring great execution to be effective at high level play.

Although I have a feeling I wasted my typing characters since you have been dead set on Jade being sub par regardless of statements to the contrary or any help you've gotten. Those things considered and that record you posted leads me to think the character is not for you

She already is on kitana's and scorpions level. >.> expect a huge post about my strategies and traps when I get Internet working I'm not typing all that on my phone.

Although I have a feeling I wasted my typing characters since you have been dead set on Jade being sub par regardless of statements to the contrary or any help you've gotten. Those things considered and that record you posted leads me to think the character is not for you
You can be any hostile, it won't change facts. Jade gets stomped.
The help I've gotten was useful. But still, her move startups are too slow and bf3 is glitchy due to negative edge, so she gets trashed by various characters. Undeniably very few people main her successfully especially online as I have no offline gaming community in my country (I'm one of those people) and she wasn't used in the tournament either, one has to be blind not to see when a character needs fixing.

She already is on kitana's and scorpions level. >.> expect a huge post about my strategies and traps when I get Internet working I'm not typing all that on my phone.
Looking forward to it! I'm leaving for a bit tomorrow but I'll be back in a couple weeks.

How am I being hostile? and it's not a "fact" it's your opinion. You've been saying the same thing over&over for like a month now, sometimes you have to "man up" and stop blaming the character for *you* getting stomped. Characters have different styles of play which make them effective, sounds like you don't have much experience w/characters geared toward spacing. But as long as you have that opinion in the back of your mind (Jade is gimped) you will likely never get better with her.

Oh and Crit I would like to thank you for an old post you made mentioning cancelling into staff grab can make her blocked strings safe. That was prob the least used special for me. I had just recently started using it occasionally as a wake up tool, previously I used it strictly to end some of her combos (my fav: b1,s.slam,b2, b3,2>s.grab). But that will def help me during times when I'm tryna push my offense yet maintain some breathing room :)

Last edited:
All you need is 1,2 or shadow kick on block or a Down 3, to start pressure and when they start getting pushed back to far that's when you throw in her long range slower startup strings. She isn't horrendous up close and in your face she has fast enough moves to keep good pressure on block to build meter.

Just because not many people pick her doesn't make her as "logically" a bad character. She just plays so different than the rest of the cast she has a weird learning curve.

No problem phiyaboy

I'm using Jade and she's a beast.
Her projectile shield is a great weapon against the average player, also the Enhanced version of that movie has armor and u can do a 30%+ kombo damage with no effort (but good timing).

She also is one of the fastest character in the game, for close range you have all the pole moves (b+2 and land a kombo, also her sweep is fast). In far distance he's a bit in disadvange because the boomerangs are slow but you can do the shadow kick to take some distance.

Jade

LEGEND:
B= back
U= Up
F= Forward
D= Down
If a letter and number are like this B2= Push both at the same time.

My Personal Synopsis:
Jade is a character that evolves throughout the fight. What I mean by this is playing a specific way will in turn open the door to more ways to play. And you will be forced to evolve or watch as your tactics slowly stop working over time. She should start off as a counter character, then over time you will have to apply pressure, and do feint openings to get your opponent to fall into your trap. Then as they near death they will behave differently, making the way you play change once again. Let me explain in detail and how to recognize the mindset of the opponent you are currently fighting.

Against a Stranger
(Most commonly someone who doesn’t know the Jade match up as much as they should)

Start of Round 1
These are testing grounds. The best move to open with is U3. Only fast special characters that chose to block at the start of the match will stop this. U3 will beat out jump in, Jump Nuetral punch for those thinking you’re going to jump at them, It also beats jump away, an most offensive approaches.

B2 is a nice starter if you predict a jump-in(which is impossible to predict round 1 against a stranger.) If blocked if they are quick enough they can dash in and combo you. Blocking is the only move that will topple this opener. But at a grave cost.

Shadow kick, is also a pretty safe choice. But careful to be crossed up by a jump opening Not a lot of people will duck without blocking to punish it at the start.

Now as the first round progresses. You’ll want to take note really quick if they plan on Zoning you, or going offensive. Jade’s boomerangs are too slow to beat out Ermac’s zoning. It’s also dangerous to use against scorpion (Teleporters in general you should not try to out zone, but instead bait the teleport.) However people with slightly slower projectiles will lose to Jade in a zone war. Such as Subzero, Sonya, Johnny Cage, Barakka, Even though skarlet is quick with glow she can also lose to jade if timed correctly.

You can hop over a projectile if you notice a pattern and counter hit with D,B2 since the jumping animation will go over projectiles. Much like how chun li’s overhead works in SF. You can glow while doing D,B2 to make it extra safe.

If they open up as a rushdown, Start the meter burning immediately. You want to make them respect your glow, your enhanced overhead ect. Once you finally got them afraid of your specials. Leave one in restore if possible so they always have that fear. This will usually lead into mid game part of her evolution.

Once you get them scared of your specials they will block more and be more defensive. This will give you EVEN MORE chances to build meter by pressuring their block with 1,2 D3. Once they start getting pushed back too far from you with 1,2 D3. You can choose to U3, to push them away. But if you want to stay close and mixing them up. You can throw in shadow kicks. Doing a staff grab is safe on their block however it sets you both up at equal advantage. If you choose to staff grab to make one of your strings safe. Watch for a jump or special, or a dash in. They will see this as their opportunity to apply pressure back punish accordingly.

F2,1,2 on block is nice, it pushes them away, and if you think they will keep blocking you can do shadow kicks after to bring yourself back in for MORE pressure with your footsies (1,2 and D3.) . Don’t make patterns if you keep doing shadow kicks after your F2,1,2. If they are good, they will recognize it and duck after your F2,1,2. And punish you. If you predict the duck, you can do F2,1,2. Into staff overhead, or her command staff grab. Overhead can be blocked on reaction, but if he’s crouching already he won’t have time to punish you making the move safe.

Now of the other part of footsies. If they start getting pushed too far away, You can transition into her more laggy start up strings that are safe, like B3, 2, into staff grab, (or kicks if you think you can pressure more.) If you notice her laggy start up moves have some range on them. More range than your speedy 1,2. Spacing is key.

Please understand that Jade actually has really bad mix ups. But she can still PRESSURE block really well to build meter and keep them guessing when an opening is going to occur, and occasionally they guess wrong and you get to apply combo/damage.

You always have the choice to do cross up jump punches if they crouch too much as well as grab. So you keep them busy moving their block up and down.

As they start losing because they are so confused on when they can attack because YOU dictate when that happens. They will start getting desperate. And you might wan to consider going back to how you behaved at the start. Defensive/and Counter ready.

Jade’s 4,F3 is very quick, But it doesn’t lead into anything despite it being safe on block. Can’t even really keep pressure it resets the scenario much like ending your strings with staff command grab (on block).

While on the offensive look for times where they “Tried” to go offensive themselves. This is a perfect chance to spend your meter for a combo.

This is the best way to handle a stranger…. I’ll post more about people who KNOW how jade works.

IF you got questions ask them.

If you have more input, say them.

We Jades need to help eachother out :D

Last edited:
Also.
There is no better proof to her being undergrade than the fact that nobody used her in Evo. I've heard all the counter-arguments, I have near 3000 games with Jade, and if anybody says they know her better I'm happy to take lessons BUT.

Suggestions to fix her:
1. Change the input of B,F3 (Shadow Flash) to B,B3 or DB3 because there have been multiple complaints about the input being both glitchy and hard to pull off in vice situations where it actually matters. It very often returns as a projectile and it is NOT the player's fault: The construction of the game pad and the game's code itself both make this input not ideal for a move so crucial.
- Double duration of EX Glow OR remove extra damage taken.

2. Projectiles as per suggested below.
All EX projectiles to gain proper armor, all projectiles to be useable in air.
- Air Low Shuriken should take a curve at a 45-ish angle downwards from her hitbox in air. (overhead properties)
- Air Straight Shuriken should go straight as the name shows.
- Air Upwards Shuriken should go backwards in air.

3. Change the 342 string for it to be more combo friendly.
- 3 should be a low kick just like every character, even Kano has one. (Currently it shares hit properties with B+3 which I think is an oversight.
- The 2 at the end should be a proper launcher. I'm pretty sure there is a reason why it skyrockets the opponent across the map impossible even for high shuriken to juggle but I haven't found it yet.

That's all she needs to be on the same level as Kitana or Scorpion.

Honestly, I tried helping you, but now you are just a whiney baby, who can't use this character properly so they MUST be broken or unplayable in some way. I'm SURE THAT IT COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE YOU!! This whole post is just a cloud of ignorance. She IS on the level of Kitana, and WAY above Scorpion.

And her 342 string, use db2 after a 34 on block for a mixup --> (if hits) combo or if the 4 hits, use EX DB2 to begin her other combos...