A Motaro boss fight or more DLC characters?

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters
if you have to pay for them I'm sure I would pay for the thing I could play as but a free motaro boss fight download that would be pretty sweet, only problem is animating moves for motaro fatalitys and all that programming there is no way it would be free maybe if he bundle with a shit load of other stuff new costumes and fatalitys maybe I could see myself paying for it but I doubt it will happen at all

I would love to have Motaro in mk9 but since he is very physically different from all others characters and plays differently NRS may pull off something along the lines of 'bipedal Motaro' or something else so that he fits into the gameplay well but ruining his orginal Mk3 concept :(.

I don't think they will have to reduce the amount of legs due to the fact that MK9 works on a 2D plane. In every other 3D game where Motaro was had a 3D plane and Midway didn't want to put effort in the animations. I think they might do a really good Motaro this time. Motaro will probably be just a new sub-boss character and probably not playable and he will definitely won't be playable online if he becomes a playable character.

Just give it time.

As for the choice: Motaro first because a complete MKT rooster will the thing which draws a line between the old games and the new ones. A complete rooster is the affirmation for a complete reboot and that people mustn't look back anymore and long for old things. This applies for costumes and stages, although the last one will be hard to get DLC without doing some work :)

Concerning X-Rays:

X-Rays will definitely work on him, I can assure you! Why will you probably ask. OK let's get technical (OK I'll try to explain it as easy as I can)

Compared to older games nowadays animations aren't per-rendered due to the new image quality and the resulting size of it. Therefore another solution was found called dynamical rendering. By just writing an instruction file to the graphic engine the image will be dynamically created from already available objects like skins and particle objects, forming the animation.Therefore they don't need to record each animation for each character separately. What are the advantages and disadvantages of it:

Advantage: Reduces space and enables tweaking and correction possibilities by just changing the instruction file therefore saving time

Disadvantages: High consumption of memory and processing power

By having this possibility at hand they just need to copy the X-ray instruction file, make some vectorial tweaks and then implement it as a second X-ray instruction, which will be put into action by activating the X-Ray on Motaro. It's not that time consuming to make such tweaks if you have more than two people. All in all the tweaks will take about one week.

Fox17 said:
No, I want more DLC's, besides Motaro wont be possible for a lot of technical issues.

Which technical issues?

An X-Ray issue? As you can see above this isn't an issue at all, the same applies for a fatality.

If you are talking about the leg animation then I must also disagree with you. Even if the game is presented in 3D the game still works on a 2D plane. And each skin is a two dimensional plane projected on an three dimensional skeleton. The majority of animations are still two dimensional. As in MK3 Motaro will probably do his sweeping move with his tail, therefore they mustn't animate his leg movements on three axis only on two. I understand they have to animate four of them to let the illusion arise that they move simultaneously but this isn't restricted by the engine itself only by the will of the animators.

If Motaro will come out he will definitely costs more than 5$ that's for sure but there aren't any technical restrictions, which I can see at the moment. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Motaro.

This ain't a back to basic if one major character from the original game is still missing. They even have his model in the game. I want to fight Motaro and they could release him as DLC for offline game anyway...
yes it'll just be like the old days, mk3 all the way man

Motaro. After having Rain released I really don't care for more characters. We have all the classic characters from UMK3 and I really think we should save the newer characters for the next game.

Considering how much of a pain MK3 was sometimes, I'd have to turn Motaro down. Honestly, I'd rather see Friendships before he shows his face around here again.

Ill put it this way.

Why would I pay for a character I'd not be able to use?

Why would you pay for a character now for 5€ that will most likely appeared in the next Mortal Kombat for 60€ along with over 25 others?

Nostalgic feeling my friend. You're simply to young to remember when MK3 came out. Motaro was fantastic.

They could just disable the X-Rays on him, and make him a GOOD challenging boss.
I don't use the X-Ray feature as a crutch, when I'm fighting the bosses, anyways.

With Shao Khan, even X-Rays aren't hardly a crutch.

I'm glad Motaro is dead. I'd easily prefer more DLC characters. I'd also like to see other types of DLC - Fatalities, Friendships, new arenas and Stage Fatalities.

Why would you pay for a character now for 5€ that will most likely appeared in the next Mortal Kombat for 60€ along with over 25 others?

Nostalgic feeling my friend. You're simply to young to remember when MK3 came out. Motaro was fantastic.

Because the next game wont come out till 2 years in the future at least.

And I played UMK3 a lot, i started with UMK3 when I was 6, age means nothing, but still I would not pay $5 for a character I wont be able to use, and that will appear 33% of the times i'd play the ladder.

I started with UMK3, played a lot, then MKT and MK4, never played from MKDA to MKA. And I feel 0 nostalgia, also I will never understand the love for classic costumes, when MK9 costumes are far more superior.

Reactions: Eks
Motaro boss fight, but also it would be nice if the rest of the bosses were made playable, even if only on single player and local vs modes, that would avoid the issue of people picking them online because they are OP.

New playable chars cuz a boss is only cool till he's beaten and new fighters means more of everything we love, combo's, x-rays, fatalities etc.

Concerning X-Rays:

X-Rays will definitely work on him, I can assure you! Why will you probably ask. OK let's get technical (OK I'll try to explain it as easy as I can)

Compared to older games nowadays animations aren't per-rendered due to the new image quality and the resulting size of it. Therefore another solution was found called dynamical rendering. By just writing an instruction file to the graphic engine the image will be dynamically created from already available objects like skins and particle objects, forming the animation.Therefore they don't need to record each animation for each character separately. What are the advantages and disadvantages of it:

Advantage: Reduces space and enables tweaking and correction possibilities by just changing the instruction file therefore saving time

Disadvantages: High consumption of memory and processing power

By having this possibility at hand they just need to copy the X-ray instruction file, make some vectorial tweaks and then implement it as a second X-ray instruction, which will be put into action by activating the X-Ray on Motaro. It's not that time consuming to make such tweaks if you have more than two people. All in all the tweaks will take about one week.
Thanks for explaining the techical details and animating Motaro may not be as tough as it sounds but I can't imagine Jax just throwing Motaro up or Smoke giving him a german suplex (LOL those would be pretty hilarious), perhaps a uniform Xray for all characters may solve the problem.:)

I agree with that statement.
I want to see some new stages, but as much as I'd LOVE to see new stages, I don't see it happening.

I would love to see ADDITIONAL fatalities and costumes though ;-)

Yes, fresh new fatalities that fans come up with in the forums (like mines). lol ;-)

i say a motaro fight. they should make it so he can do an x-ray to you but you cant do an x-ray to him. also projectiles wont work on him and other moves like sub's ice clone or cyrax's bombs and so on wont work on him. it just feel dumb having like every single classic character EXCEPT motaro. all of us classic mk fans are really dissappointed that he isnt in. so why NRS? why just leave him out? you should have the technology to put a centuar in a fighting game by now. i mean they did back in the mk3 days.

..but really is it too much to ask for both.

Neither really. I'm quite happy with the character roster now (saving up some new characters for the next game), and I'm not overly fussed with the bosses as I don't really enjoy playing them anyway. I certainly wouldn't pay for a boss I couldn't use either, unless he was really cheap. What I would most like to see in the game is a more expansive set of fatalities, friendships, hara kiri and stage fatalities. So I would like a few more classic fatalities or stage fatalities as DLC, but other than that I think the rest should be left for the sequel (friendships etc).

if you had Motaro added as a sub-boss and we had another 4-6 DLC characters at least for sure , I'd vote for Motaro. the way you put it though, I voted for DLC chars

DLC characters easily for me. I would rather character that I can control than simply fight. I'll be bored of the boss after the 3rd time or so. Besides, fighting games don' t thrive on the single-player experience.