Steve Jobs - dead at 56

I dunno, people are shocked but how can people be shocked when he has been battling it for some time? It was clear to me he wouldn't last long when he stepped down.

*shrug*

Damn, I had no idea he was suffering from this for awhile.
Guess that's why it is so sudden for me.

I dunno, people are shocked but how can people be shocked when he has been battling it for some time? It was clear to me he wouldn't last long when he stepped down.

*shrug*

I think its more shock how fast it happened. I knew he was sick but didn't think it would take him this quickly. so crazy yesterday they show off the iPhone 4S, now his passing.

i do have to agree with earlier posts about how its just rude to disrespect someone who passed on. a life is a life.

RIP Steve Jobs

Yet another example of how disgraceful the MK community is. I shouldn't have to even explain the irony in the fact that you're on a video game forum dismissing a man who without him, you wouldn't be able to play said video game to begin with. smh

Why wouldn't people be playing Mortal Kombat if not for Jobs?

Yeah, a guy whose legacy includes lying to the federal government, whoring the legal system, having a ludicrous control over his customers, nothing but demonisation for the PC market and selling inferior products for twice the price of the competition.

There are bigger tragedies in the world than the passing of Steve Jobs.

I'll have to agree with this...."There are bigger tragedies in the world than the passing of Steve Jobs"...Thank you.

*shrug*

I wasn't shocked, I knew it was coming when he stepped down. What he said when he stepped down was a sign of what was going on. No one expected it to happen this soon, maybe except those who were close to him and knew it was coming. He even met with the writer of his biography so that they could finish the book.

Shocked or not, it's a loss for everyone despite everything.

Why wouldn't people be playing Mortal Kombat if not for Jobs?

I'll have to agree with this...."There are bigger tragedies in the world than the passing of Steve Jobs"...Thank you.

You type these hateful things on computers, which without Jobs you may not ever be using.

Those who think his influence was only for Apple products you may have never owned or used, you are WAY off. Apple created the first Personal Computer, the Apple I. Before this computers were used only for businesses by guys in suits and they filled an entire room. You didn't play games on them, that was unheard of. It was Steve Jobs' vision that the little computer his friend Steve Wozniak built would be something REGULAR PEOPLE wanted.

That was just the beginning, and his reach and influence stretched far from this. Other companies have tried hard to out-do Steve Jobs in competition with him and Apple and drove them to create better products in trying to out do Apple. Every version of Windows has stolen features from the Macintosh since the beginning. To discount that by saying "I didn't like Apple and he didn't influence my life" is just a stupid thing to say and shows how closed minded you are. You would likely not be here typing on a computer if it wasn't for his vision to create Apple the entire world owes him a little respect.

Not to mention his other company Pixar, who shaped cinema so much that Pixar now pretty much RUNS Disney and Steve Jobs himself became the majority owner of Disney.

Last edited:
One of those horse-faced Westboro Baptist skanks tweeted about plans to picket his funeral.

The tweet was sent from an iPhone.

Can they get any dumber?

One of those horse-faced Westboro Baptist skanks tweeted about plans to picket his funeral.

The tweet was sent from an iPhone.

Can they get any dumber?

I swear to God I thought you said she was going to plank at his funeral.

But on topic, that idea is so stupid..
What's the point?!
Let the dead have their peace.

I swear to God I thought you said she was going to plank at his funeral.

But on topic, that idea is so stupid..
What's the point?!
Let the dead have their peace.

Apparently he taught sin. They should know, since obviously they are even more powerful than God himself. /sarcasm

So if Steve Jobs taught sin, doesn't it imply that the stringy haired little iPhone-toting wench is a sinner?

You just got owned, Westboro.

Just finished laughing at people's idiocy bashing the man. If people wanna pay their respects, let them, its as simple as that.

On topic though, if it weren't for you, I would not be shaking my head at idiots who cannot wrap their heads around a Mac and claim that a PC is better (it seriously ain't...) and also, Toy Story would not be in existence if it were not for you either. You will be missed Steve Jobs, and if RIM goes down the drain, I will switch to the iPhone to complete a trio of Apple devices. RIP

Just finished laughing at people's idiocy bashing the man. If people wanna pay their respects, let them, its as simple as that.

On topic though, if it weren't for you, I would not be shaking my head at idiots who cannot wrap their heads around a Mac and claim that a PC is better (it seriously ain't...) and also, Toy Story would not be in existence if it were not for you either. You will be missed Steve Jobs, and if RIM goes down the drain, I will switch to the iPhone to complete a trio of Apple devices. RIP

Oh shit, Taj.
Good to have you back, man. :rock:

As someone who lost a parent to cancer after a long battle, it's an odd thing to explain. I mean, yeah, deep down you KNOW how it's going to play out (cancer always wins in the end) but after a few months/years, you start to allow yourself to believe "you know, maybe this will be the one time someone beats this bastard of a disease". Of course, that doesn't end up happening. You do feel a little silly when it's all said and done, I mean, it's cancer FFS. What did you expect to happen? But when it's someone you care about your mind will allow you to believe the impossible. My dad lasted 3 years when he was told he had six months tops. Steve was diagnosed in 2004 and if you've ever heard his excellent commencement speech, he was told the same thing more or less. He made it 7 years against one of the most aggressive forms of cancer, that alone is an accomplishment warranting accolades if he never did anything else in his life. Of course, he did.

Was Steve a paragon of virtue? Of course not. He was well known for having a temper/no patience for what he felt was inferiority. One of his famous quotes was "We don't produce junk". What made him a success was how he might rip an intern one moment and then the CEO of a major corporation the next. He didn't pull any punches no matter who he was talking to, and it's part of what made him the best at what he did. If you were going to have a face to face with Steve Jobs, you better come correct no matter what your status in life was because he would not hesitate to drop the hammer on you no matter what.

As far as the comments about possibly not having an MK if not for Steve Jobs, I'm sure if you asked Ed Boon or anyone else at NRS they would list Steve as one of their inspirations (if not the main one) for following their dream and doing something they enjoyed.

I'll just repost what I wrote on Facebook to sum up what I felt about the man himself:

One last thing about Steve Jobs: you have to remember that inspiration doesn't stop at one level. Even if you've never used a Mac or an iPhone and you think all Pixar movies are sappy, odds are most TV shows you watch or music you listened to was designed/mixed using Apple products. If they never sold one phone or tablet, the impact they had on the entertainment business is nothing short of amazing. You ever wonder why everyone in movies and TV seems to only use Apple products? Because most of the people involved in making them do. If you've ever been inspired by music/TV/movies then you've been impacted, indirectly but none the less, by Steve Jobs.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

@SpineRipper, in what way, shape or form have I been disgraceful? Did I come into this thread and drop every Steve Jobs joke that has materialised in the last 24 hours? No. Did I come in and say "luuuuuulz"? No. Did I come in and say "**** Steve Jobs". No. I for one shouldn't have to explain, that Steve Jobs had nothing to do with Mortal Kombat, the forum or the creation of the internet.

@Jade, i'm surprised at you. I don't feel my post was rude or immature as you infer. I already emphasised that yes, it's sad for his family and friends, but I for one did not agree with his vision. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Steve Jobs was a controversial figure. The thread is not called "Steve Jobs Memorial, please leave tributes here", its called Steve Jobs died at 58. But because I stated that I was no fan of the man, or his products, that some how im an insensitive a-hole. I wonder how many Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, died on the same day. People that really have saved, or enriched peoples lives. When Michael Jackson died, people immediately fell into one of two camps, those that loved his music (me) and those that saw nothing but tabloid smearing. The amount of arguments I had with people that said he was a pedo, etc, was frustrating to say the least, but I at least, RESPECTED THEIR RIGHT TO HAVE AN OPINION, whether I agreed with it or not. I wonder how many people here saying "RIP Steve Jobs", hated on MJ when he died. For that matter, I wonder how many people had even heard of Steve Jobs until two days ago..

@UCFReiko and Zoidberg, yes a life is a life, but why do celebrities or corporate giants take precedence over the rest of the human race?

@Patrick McCarron, im sorry I have not seen one hateful thing written in this thread yet. People arent here making jokes, or trolling, they are simply having a view, and im flabbergasted they are being made pariahs for it. You say if it wasn't for Steve Jobs, that we wouldn't be sitting here now. I'm using a PC as we speak. Are you saying that without Steve Jobs, PC's wouldn't be what they are now? How do you know PC's would not have progressed considerably more than they have now? How do you know the computer industry would not be what it is now? How do you know, someone else, simply wouldn't have done what has been done now? Do you believe, Apple is going to cease to exist or not produce more products, now that Steve Jobs has died?

As for the guy "inventing" personal computers:
Early personal computers — generally called microcomputers — were sold often in kit form and in limited volumes, and were of interest mostly to hobbyists and technicians. Minimal programming was done with toggle switches to enter instructions, and output was provided by front panel lamps. Practical use required peripherals such as keyboards, computer terminals, disk drives, and printers. Micral N was the earliest commercial, non-kit microcomputer based on a microprocessor, the Intel 8008. It was built starting in 1972 and about 90,000 units were sold. In 1976 Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak sold the Apple I computer circuit board, which was fully prepared and contained about 30 chips. The first successfully mass marketed personal computer was the Commodore PET introduced in January 1977. It was soon followed by the TRS-80 from Radio Shack and the popular Apple II. Mass-market ready-assembled computers allowed a wider range of people to use computers, focusing more on software applications and less on development of the processor hardware.

I'd argue that he capitalised on a pre-existing product, and made it popular, but he was no innovator of the PC. He was a marketing genius, and people may not realise this, but the GUI mouse was one of his ideas. Pixar is pretty cool, i'll grant that. But people don't see the darker side to this man. They see their iPhone.

And to say a Mac is superior to a PC is just, well. I don't know what to say. There is no single Apple product that can ever be customised. Upgrades happen, when Apple says so. In that sense, I would say that retards the growth of technology. To say that the GAMES INDUSTRY was inspired by Steve Jobs is hillarious. I'm just bothered by all the rabid fans sprouting up, when most of them probably hadn't even heard of the man until 48 hours ago.

I think a more interesting question should be, where do people see Apple, 12 months from now?

Again, i'm sad for his family and friends, but not for the guys legacy. If people want to say im disgraceful, go ahead, because you don't know me and you have not read a single thing i've said. My uncle has had lymphoma for the last 10 years and will always be in remission. An ex of mine had breast cancer 6 years ago. My Dad had cancerous nodules found on his pancreas 3 years ago. I know all too well, what cancer does to a person.

You type these hateful things on computers, which without Jobs you may not ever be using.

What are you smoking? What precisely is 'hateful' about the question 'Why wouldn't people be playing Mortal Kombat if not for Jobs?'

It was just a simple, straightforward question asking what Jobs' connection with Midway / NRS is. There is no emotion in the question, let alone hate. You need to seriously chill out.

I wasn't actually going to bother commenting on Jobs at all, but seeing as you saw fit to accuse me of something I didn't do then follow it up with a load of factual inaccuracies that don't actually relate to anything I or the other guy said, I think I'll respond.

Those who think his influence was only for Apple products you may have never owned or used, you are WAY off. Apple created the first Personal Computer, the Apple I. Before this computers were used only for businesses by guys in suits and they filled an entire room. You didn't play games on them, that was unheard of. It was Steve Jobs' vision that the little computer his friend Steve Wozniak built would be something REGULAR PEOPLE wanted.

Apple did NOT create the first personal computer. There were others such as the IBM 5100 and the MITS Altair 8800 which came beforehand as well as several others.

And it is in fact the Altair 8800 that has the credit for being the inspiration behind individuals having PCs:

'Today the Altair is widely recognized as the spark that led to the microcomputer revolution of the next few years'. Source

Every version of Windows has stolen features from the Macintosh since the beginning.

My god, you really have the gall to say that? Are you not aware that Apple has a reputation as a thief that constantly steals other people's ideas? Most of its products are based on that.

Here are just a few - if you wanted to (which I'm sure you don't) you could find loads more in Google.

Apple Accused Of Swiping Student's Wi-Fi Sync App For iOS 5

Nokia: Apple is stealing our ideas

Apple's little problem with ripping off artists

Apple "steals" iPhone app ideas and patents them (and lightsabers)

13 iPhone Features Apple Stole From Jailbreak Developers

To discount that by saying "I didn't like Apple and he didn't influence my life" is just a stupid thing to say and shows how closed minded you are. You would likely not be here typing on a computer if it wasn't for his vision to create Apple the entire world owes him a little respect.

Who said 'I didn't like Apple and he didn't influence my life'? Not me or the other guy you are replying to. There's only 1 person here that's clearly closed minded and that's you. Nothing you say is related to what we said and none of it is even true. People like you and Taj Gill come across as fanatical Apple fanboys who just want to attack anyone who says things you don't want to hear, even if they didn't say them.

You seem like the type of guys who inspired the famous YouTube video below.

The one thing I did ask for was for a link between Jobs and MK. The fact is, there is absolutely none. The original Midway company was formed in 1958 and made mechanical amusement games then later on, moved onto arcade games and pinball machines. From there they went to home consoles. None of that has anything whatsoever to do with Jobs unless you are now going to claim Jobs was the reason we have pinball machines, arcade machines, home consoles and fairground amusement games.

If you want computer and IT related heroes to worship then you should look at the likes of Charles Babbage, Alan Turing, Tim Berners-Lee and Linus Torvalds.

A man whose achievements revolve around stealing other people's ideas, making crappy over-priced computers that can't do half what a normal one can and managing to flog millions of shiny gadgets to people like the one in the video really doesn't compare.

On topic though, if it weren't for you, I would not be shaking my head at idiots who cannot wrap their heads around a Mac

People are perfectly entitled to pay their respects.

However, people are not entitled to come on here and call other people 'idiots' or try and force other people who live in the real world to think that Steve Jobs or Apple did things they didn't. So take your Apple fanboy mentality and go away until you learn respect for others.

@Patrick McCarron, im sorry I have not seen one hateful thing written in this thread yet. People arent here making jokes, or trolling, they are simply having a view, and im flabbergasted they are being made pariahs for it.

I know. Can you believe this guy is the owner of the site, acting like this?

Wow...

I know. Can you believe this guy is the owner of the site, acting like this?

Wow...

Lol, dude have you ever heard the expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Im not going to question how the place is run, it's run pretty well from my point of view. My only gripe is that some people are taking my previous comments to be spiteful, hateful and taking what I've said far too personally. Im only arguing that I made a point of view, that is all.