Sonya Thread - "Mission Accomplished"

some of her combos have really good damage meterless. Even my Kitana bnbs go from 39% to 44% post-patch. but I have never seen something as technical as comboing after dive kick 0-o

u didn know she can combo after dive kick? if u think that's hard, try doing f2 2, cancel into MS, jump cancel MS, instant dive kick and continue the combo. let me kno how bad u rage lol. its not friendly at all, especially online

This game is very technical, But nothing in this game matches to the mere raging power of using Fox in SSBM. The average APM is 260 with him on a controller, and he has 1 frame specific inputs.

EDIT I shouldn't say very technical

Street fighter is harder

so is MVC

Last edited:
This game is very technical, But nothing in this game matches to the mere raging power of using Fox in SSBM. The average APM is 260 with him on a controller, and he has 1 frame specific inputs.

Street fighter is harder

so is MVC

And this is why i stick to MK :D

And this is why i stick to MK :D

True, but anything can be overcome with practice.

I can appreciate mind games as much as the next guy. But It's also cool to see people overcome extremely hard technical barriers and do well.

I'll argue that SSBM is the deepest fighter to my grave. It has every element a normal fighter does, plus way more scenarios/ and things to worry about.

True, but anything can be overcome with practice.

I can appreciate mind games as much as the next guy. But It's also cool to see people overcome extremely hard technical barriers and do well.

I'll argue that SSBM is the deepest fighter to my grave. It has every element a normal fighter does, plus way more scenarios/ and things to worry about.

Yea. Lol I have SSFIV:AE. Im still debated on trading it in or just keep it if i get bored one day.

Yea. Lol I have SSFIV:AE. Im still debated on trading it in or just keep it if i get bored one day.

SSBM has non-technical characters just like any other game but that should be ment for a different thread this is Sonya thread.

I got bored of SSFIV I couldn't get into it.. I know it's deep. Just something about that that doesn't give me hype.

SSBM has non-technical characters just like any other game but that should be ment for a different thread this is Sonya thread.

I got bored of SSFIV I couldn't get into it.. I know it's deep. Just something about that that doesn't give me hype.

YES! Exactly. Its like once im in a corner.. I have no breaker to get me out and im stuck there.. Wow. This is fun <_<

I know you have Techs and parries and all that shit, But its to complicated to pull of. I would rather hold BL+F than How ever the hell you tech shit in SF. Plus there not Mileena Look alike D: Juri < Mileena allday :D

YES! Exactly. Its like once im in a corner.. I have no breaker to get me out and im stuck there.. Wow. This is fun <_<

I know you have Techs and parries and all that shit, But its to complicated to pull of. I would rather hold BL+F than How ever the hell you tech shit in SF. Plus there not Mileena Look alike D: Juri < Mileena allday :D

It wasn't the technical aspect that turned me away, It was something else and I can't place my finger on it. I kind of want to say it's the speed of the game or something. or that you can't back away from your opponent very far so I feel like I got not breathing room.

Street fighter is harder

so is MVC

super street fighter 4 beats ssbm by a long shot when it comes to 1 frame links.

super street fighter 4 beats ssbm by a long shot when it comes to 1 frame links.

Ok...? It's still a more technical game. I could write a 100page essay of the technical aspects and tools at your disposal.
With enough practice I was able to get 1frame links, it took a long time no lie, but I was able to do some in SSFIV

It's been 10 years of playing SSBM for me and I still can't do everything Fox can do.
Please understand I'm talking about Fox. As he's the only one who is way too difficult to use all tools with. It's been 12+ years of SSBM and the pros still can't use him to his full potential. (And by that I mean his tools)

most other characters are not 1 frame specific minus perhaps samus and a few edge instances.

Give me a second and I'll make an epic post about SSBM's depth. so you can see it from my eyes.

Here is just one example for now.

In Street fighter, when you "block" you essentially just block high/low/Parry. You slide back a little bit on each hit as to not be stuck in infinite pressure. You got your lows/overheads/focus parry ect ect.

SSBM has low's and high's and mid's as well except they work different. a shield aimed in any direction covers all mid hits. A shield aimed down your head will get poked out by a high hit, and if you aim your shield high you'll get hit by a low poke. ok same stuff. But SSBM has has this in their shield play.

They can aim their shield TOWARD you. So your move hits the shield sooner, giving them a bigger window to punish you before you can do another move/shield yourself. SSFIV can't aim their block At your to make a move hit sooner. As once the move hits a shield it no long has a hit box. You can also aim your shield away, to make it so a move hits late, to try and make your opponent miss time their L-cancel. (refers to lag cancel, as any aerial when timed just right the lag can be cut by 50%) if a person hits a shield late their timing might be off because when an attack hits a shield they hit the ground at different timings.

now for the push back. the harder and farther you hold in the shield button. The heavier the shield, and the less shield stun you recieve but it's a smaller bubble easier to poke you, but you don't slide away far while under pressure.

If you light shield, you get more shield stun but you slide back alot farther getting you out of pressure, but you most likely won't get a counter attack because of increased shield stun. (bigger bubble) to light shield you have to BARELY hold down the block button. The game has a lot of pressure sensitive aspects.

All of this do-able from the defendants side.

The glorious thing about SSBM is you are doing alot of work, even while defending.

While you are pressured, You are also holding down on C-stick while in sheild stun so incase you are poked. You are ASDI'ing down (auto smash Directional Influence down). To ground your character so they don't go flying for a combo if they are hit. And if they are HIT and you call it out. You can hit L- and tech off the ground before you even leave it.

And once you are knocked into the air, You can still control your character while you're being combo'd through directional influence, where you can choose if you go higher, fly not as far from your opponent, fly farther away, or fly close to the ground. all of which to combo your opponent needs to read/react.

In street fighter... when I'm blocking.. all I'm ever doing is holding back or down-back. and waiting for an opening for me to counter poke/attack. Or I focus parry a move.

As far as crossups though SSBM has none, but ssbm isn't stuck in facing one direction. So it's a depth in itself when in SSBM your character is more advantaged when facing a certain direction. for instance Donkey kong is incredibly good out of shield when your behind him. But if you Cross up your attacks and stay infront of him. He can't do much.

SSBM ont he parry side has powershielding if you shield just as you are hit, You get 0 frames of lag when dropping your shield. But the precision to land a powershield is a 1-2 frame timing of the hit connecting.

Fox can actually do HIGHER apm than this, but since we're only humans this will have to do.

Last edited:
Ok...? It's still a more technical game. I could write a 100page essay of the technical aspects and tools at your disposal.
With enough practice I was able to get 1frame links, it took a long time no lie, but I was able to do some in SSFIV

It's been 10 years of playing SSBM for me and I still can't do everything Fox can do.
Please understand I'm talking about Fox. As he's the only one who is way too difficult to use all tools with. It's been 12+ years of SSBM and the pros still can't use him to his full potential. (And by that I mean his tools)

most other characters are not 1 frame specific minus perhaps samus and a few edge instances.

Give me a second and I'll make an epic post about SSBM's depth. so you can see it from my eyes.

In Street fighter, when you "block" you essentially just block high/low/Parry. You slide back a little bit on each hit as to not be stuck in infinite pressure. You got your lows/overheads/focus parry ect ect.

SSBM has low's and high's and mid's as well except they work different. a shield aimed in any direction covers all mid hits. A shield aimed down your head will get poked out by a high hit, and if you aim your shield high you'll get hit by a low poke. ok same stuff. But SSBM has has this in their shield play.

They can aim their shield TOWARD you. So your move hits the shield sooner, giving them a bigger window to punish you before you can do another move/shield yourself. SSFIV can't aim their block At your to make a move hit sooner. As once the move hits a shield it no long has a hit box. You can also aim your shield away, to make it so a move hits late, to try and make your opponent miss time their L-cancel. (refers to lag cancel, as any aerial when timed just right the lag can be cut by 50%) if a person hits a shield late their timing might be off because when an attack hits a shield they hit the ground at different timings.

now for the push back. the harder and farther you hold in the shield button. The heavier the shield, and the less shield stun you recieve but it's a smaller bubble easier to poke you, but you don't slide away far while under pressure.

If you light shield, you get more shield stun but you slide back alot farther getting you out of pressure, but you most likely won't get a counter attack because of increased shield stun. (bigger bubble) to light shield you have to BARELY hold down the block button. The game has a lot of pressure sensitive aspects.

The glorious thing about SSBM is you are doing alot of work, even while defending.

While you are pressured, You are also holding down on C-stick while in sheild stun so incase you are poked. You are ASDI'ing down (auto smash Directional Influence down). To ground your character so they don't go flying for a combo if they are hit. And if they are HIT and you call it out. You can hit L- and tech off the ground before you even leave it.

And once you are knocked into the air, You can still control your character while you're being combo'd through directional influence, where you can choose if you go higher, fly not as far from your opponent, fly farther away, or fly close to the ground. all of which to combo your opponent needs to read/react.

In street fighter... when I'm blocking.. all I'm ever doing is holding back or down-back. and waiting for an opening for me to counter poke/attack. Or I focus parry a move.

As far as crossups though SSBM has none, but ssbm isn't stuck in facing one direction. So it's a depth in itself when in SSBM your character is more advantaged when facing a certain direction. for instance Donkey kong is incredibly good out of shield when your behind him. But if you Cross up your attacks and stay infront of him. He can't do much.

SSBM ont he parry side has powershielding if you shield just as you are hit, You get 0 frames of lag when dropping your shield. But the precision to land a powershield is a 1-2 frame timing of the hit connecting.

Fox can actually do HIGHER apm than this, but since we're only humans this will have to do.

This is a long ass quote lol,

I've played this game with my friends when I was like in 1st,2nd grade, I never new it was as technical as this... wow...

This is a long ass quote lol,

I've played this game with my friends when I was like in 1st,2nd grade, I never new it was as technical as this... wow...

Lol ikr. Most of the time i just button smashed and my cousin though i was good x)

yea...I def didn't kno ssbm was this technical lol. the most time I spent with the game was unlocking mewtwo lol. I didn't think gamecube games back then had that much depth in them

I wist people who make combo videos put the notations so that the players can attempt them >_> Me GUSTA those high-30% combos..

yea...I def didn't kno ssbm was this technical lol. the most time I spent with the game was unlocking mewtwo lol. I didn't think gamecube games back then had that much depth in them

yeah me either. I was brought into that scene through a friend who kept sending me video links and telling me about new techs. Then I eventually joined the site/competitive scene for it.

to be fair like 1/3 of the advanced techs are accidental. But they are accidentally genius in making the game good.

Last edited:
yeah me either. I was brought into that scene through a friend who kept sending me video links and telling me about new techs. Then I eventually joined the site/competitive scene for it.

to be fair like 1/3 of the advanced techs are accidental. But they are accidentally genius in making the game good.

wow, I feel like getting a gamecube now, you still have one Critical?

looking at the TYM Sonya guide and really, if you want to get to the low 40s you need to do military stance cancel dive kick stuff... thats soooo hard X(

wow, I feel like getting a gamecube now, you still have one Critical?

yes I do,

And practice at sonya. I know it's hard but trust me if you put maybe like 8 hours of practice into combos. You'll notice you are slowly getting better.

The reason I prefer a gamecube over Wii is because when I go to a tournament that has Melee/Brawl. My setup HAS to be melee, they can't switch it over to brawl. It means I'm filing cabinets and putting in work and I mean serious SSBM business.

I kind of got the flow of the dive kick combos. but I really dont like using kiss mid-combo. Its the same reason I stopped using Sindel because the timing was so strict...