Sheeva Thread - "For the Shokan!"

Big Frog

I just don't agree that doing an X-ray is worth it with her. Why would you waste the meter unless it's to end a round/match though?? Sheeva has really no wake up game except for the Ex GnP which comes in handy A LOT. I could see if you're desperate for damage, but otherwise why waste it??

I don't know, I guess we just play different. Because I don't find Ground Stomp that useless either. It's a must after Ex Grab N Punch combos (Fireballs sometimes to mix it up if they catch on) but if your opponent is being very aggressive then yeah it's pretty useless. Sheeva is just a slow character in general so that could go for anything really. D3 is her fastest so that helps.

Voncroy

Her stomp ground is so SLOW it's pointless doing it after whatever combo you threw before. It will only allow your opponent to teleport or to jump towards you. Fireball is a much more useful answer to those situations.

Yes, we clearly play different Sheevas but she is not however my main, so you must probably be right. I just don't get why people get all defensive when someone says the x-ray may actually be useful for your character. It happened hilariously enough in Ermac's thread too :p isn't that good thing?

Last edited:
Her X-Ray is very useful as a counter against any non-airborne attacks, as long as the opponent is grounded. Her Ground Stomp should be only used if you're very far away and they keep expecting a Fireball from her or after B+1, B+2 since that combo stuns them enough for you to either execute that or the Jump Stomp.

Last edited:

nomad

ground stomp works great at the end of a blocked combo string.

and yeh, i save her metre for Ex GNP. either on wake up, or 2,1,2,f+1, gnp
only use xray if im getting pummeled, and know that im not gonna be able to use metre in a combo before i die. lol.

Big Frog

Her stomp ground is so SLOW it's pointless doing it after whatever combo you threw before. It will only allow your opponent to teleport or to jump towards you. Fireball is a much more useful answer to those situations.

Yes, we clearly play different Sheevas but she is not however my main, so you must probably be right. I just don't get why people get all defensive when someone says the x-ray may actually be useful for your character. It happened hilariously enough in Ermac's thread too :p isn't that good thing?

Sorry man haha I didn't want to come off as defensive or rude or anything. Sorry. I just wanted to try to give some Sheeves insight.

But back to the Ground Stomp. Do you not use it after 2,1,2,F+1, Ex Grab N Punch?? It's basically guaranteed. It has to be Ex GnP though. And you hit stun them with a standing 4 so it guarantees a Ground Stomp. 4, Ground Stomp, 4, Ground Stomp, 4, Ground Stomp.

And it happend in Ermac's thread because his X-Ray is actually useful as his Ex specials aren't near as import as Sheeva's ex armored specials are. If Sheeves could get as much damage as Ermac could with her X-Ray and I probably wouldn't be annoying you about this!!! hahahaa

Voncroy

I am completely unable to input a ground stomp in time after an enhanced special grab and punch, very unresponsive to me, so I gave it up, specially online, but I'll try it on again on practice mode hehehe btw, Sheeva's x-ray is 100% garanteed if you combo it even on block - that's all I am saying. It's still is in my mind of the best x-rays in the game.

Btw, today I was playing with Sheeva against Mileena (LOL), and Mileena was blocking low and she blocked my low grab! I thought low grab was unblockable for Sheeva, seriously... NRS really likes to make her life a living hell! LOOOL

Big Frog

I'm going to get some videos up and just show you because I can get it 99% of the time after Ex GnP. Ex Ground Stomp for 2 hits. And after the Ground Stomp hit that's when you can throw in the Jump Stomp mix ups.

If anything dude practice with the standing 4s. 4,Ground Stomp or 1,2,B+1,4,Grab N Punch, etc....

And I hear you on the Low Grab thing. I'm at the point where I barely even try it. I want to use it soooo bad, but it's ridiculously hard to hit.

nomad

I am completely unable to input a ground stomp in time after an enhanced special grab and punch, very unresponsive to me, so I gave it up, specially online, but I'll try it on again on practice mode hehehe btw, Sheeva's x-ray is 100% garanteed if you combo it even on block - that's all I am saying. It's still is in my mind of the best x-rays in the game.

Btw, today I was playing with Sheeva against Mileena (LOL), and Mileena was blocking low and she blocked my low grab! I thought low grab was unblockable for Sheeva, seriously... NRS really likes to make her life a living hell! LOOOL

the mileena player was probably fuzzy blocking (look it up) or fuzzy guard.

Voncroy

I was pretty sure Sheeva's low grab was unblockable and yet this Mileena player blocked me!

I am really HATING the inconsistancies of this game. Overheads being blocked low, lows being blocked high and don't let me start about that STUPID negative edge thing. I am ****ing tired to try to do a stupid uppercut and the character does a special out of nowhere which leaves me wide open to be punished...

nomad

you didnt listen. Fuzzy Guarding: "There is some debate in the American community over the definition of Fuzzy Guard. Some think it's the "mash on block" tactic, where you block low, then immediately high then low again in order to avoid any overhead. I always thought fuzzy guard referred to this glitch, so whatever. Anyways, this glitch occurs when you force someone to block something high and then they try to immediately block low. What happens is that for some reason, the game will think you're blocking low, but the guard animation will look like you're blocking high instead. In fact, if you do an overhead (like a greed sever) at this point, it will actually hit them as if they were standing up and doing nothing." Source (http://angband.oook.cz/animeband/glitches.html)

not my def. copy/paste. its a hazy description but basically.

its not really a glitch in MK its an intentional game mechanic.
the mileena player wanted to block your lowgrab but still remain crouched at the end.
he does this by letting go of up for only a second. you prolly do this already without knowing.

same with low hits, if an opponent whats to block my low string but still remain standing he can just tap down, and the animations will take over. weird. but yeh..

edit: there's a thread about it on here that explains it. i think its called, blocking overheads??

Last edited:

Big Frog

Here's two pretty good matches I had earlier. Even got a flawless in one of them. Both these guys are pretty strong. Misanthrope is one of my friends and we go back and forth a lot. The Noob player is a random, but was good. He beat me a few times after as he should against Sheeves. The matchup is definitely not in her favor. :p Let it be known getting owned is part of being a Sheeva player hahaha sad but true. She can be good in the right hands, but it's an uphill battle with most characters.

Nothing too fancy, I usually stick to the basics. Still trying to implement more B2, 2+1s into my play and make it more of a habit. I don't use it nearly as much as I should. The biggest Sheeva combo I've hit online is a 16 hit corner and it doesn't happen too often because I find trying to get fancy with her leads to pwnment. I use a LOT of Ex GnPs. :)

Last edited:

Flagg

You use EX w&g on wakeup a lot, but to be fair...so do I.

I used to start matches with the F4, but I find a lot of people jump in on Sheeva at the start of Round 1 now.

So I go for one of these:
Njp, 4, w&g
Ex Anti air grab
Ex w&g

Option one is your "safest" option, however observing what they do at the start of Round 1, can determine how to start Round 2.

Rather than hang back after a knock down, I like to rush right in again. I notice you like to hang back. Seriously, run in on someone after and give them a nice F4. If you perform a meaty version, this will catch them on wakeup or if they try and jump back. Then, repeat...they will either be caught again, OR they will low block. Now you are in their mind, and the next time you can run in and do her low grab for combo shenanigans ;)

I don't actually find Rain hard, but my Christ...its like Noob is anti-Sheeva in this game. He is hands down her hardest match. His specials beat her fireball AND ground stomp. If you teleport, his always beats hers. Noob is a very, very hard match up for her. With Noob, you have to punish the HELL out of him when you get the chance. Glad you beat him. Nice jp, 3, 3, w&g by the way. Like how you beat Rain as well, and you were a bit more aggresive. I can't stand Rain, don't like his design, I don't even like how he sounds or his story. Im not usually critical of a game character but really cant bare Rain.

And yes, B2, 1+2 is amazing. I always use this with a fireball and it does like, 34% damage. In the corner it will miss, HOWEVER, swap it for a w&g and it will always connect. You can use the B2, 1+2 and w&g midscreen, but sometimes it misses. I also like her F3, 2. Catches a lot of people off guard, but it's best used when you're applying pressure.

Big Frog

It doesn't show in those videos, but I don't always do the F4 to start. Most of the time I just either dash back or Anti-Air if they're trying to get fancy on me. People tend to jump in on Sheeva a lot so having good reaction time pays off.

It also doesn't really show in those videos but I use F4 during matches a lot too. People never respect it like they should. I LOVE her options after meaties, but these two players had me on the defensive side for the most part I guess.

And I hear you, Flagg. I'm trying to nail it into my brain to punish harder. I have to make B2, 2+1, Fireball/GnP a habit. I do it like 50% of the time. F3,2 is def good pressure as well as D4, Fireball.

I am not sure what the matcup number is for Rain but I find he's not a bad matchup for her. I tend to do pretty well against Rain. Noob on the other hand is a different story. Very tough matchup there. :)

Flagg

A lot of players dont respect Sheeva at all. I mean I like your style, you dont spam the teleport, and to be honest, anyone who does deserves to be jump kicked the whole game. But I bet you get your fair share of hatemail as well, despite playing like that.

And her F4 is amazing. For a normal, it's like Johnny Cages shadow kick! Okay, not as fast but it has amazing range, and does more damage than a uppercut, two of jades shadow kicks or a Jax dash punch. Im pretty sure that has to be the strongest/best normal in the game.

As for the combos, it's easier said than done to do in a pinch. In a tense game, i ALWAYS seem to whiff her 1, 2, B1 launcher and hit back on the 2 way too early.

Are you on 360 or PS3?

Big Frog

Yeah it's been like that ever since she came out in MK3 hahaha

What's funny though is that I get hatemail even though I win fairly. I actually try to implement Sheeva's tools, combos and people will still send "Same Old Sheeva Spam" messages to me lol People just always have a hard time losing to her I guess...

Back to the F4 though yeah it's very good. Dude, even the standing 4 is great. It allows you to either get an easy Ground Stomp or Jump Stomp.

I will get some better "combo-ish" Sheeva gameplay up soon. I just wanted to get some hard fought Sheeva gameplay up because I never see it online.

I'm on PS3 btw.

Good matches Big Frog. Although she uses the meter alot, do yourself a huge favor and have at least 1 bar saved for emergencies whenever you need it. Mind if I post your matches in the op?

Big Frog

Thanks. I know, I know. I swear I don't use it that much all the time. I tend to develop habits on certain days and do it the whole day I play. Sometimes I overuse on purpose just to put it in their heads because if I don't they cross Sheeva up like it's their job. Which it kind of is since she's so slow.

But of course you can. I don't care. I will try to get some more combo-ish videos up soon too.

Here's a snippet from a "Sheevatage" I'm trying to put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVpdk2TrWCk