Shang Tsung Thread - "Your soul Is Mine!!"

The only problem for me is I think his moves are pretty slow. It's a good character, but if you're playing a near kombat against a fast character, you're lost :(

You are right bout him being slow in close kombat but his F+4,3,4 will hit most of the time his punches are slow I usually punch off jump ins if I can then start my juggles...u can juggle off 2,2,1...F+4,3,4...B+1,2,1,4(i never use it)...F+3, 4 which my favorite cause it starts low

Nice tip, most of the time I use F+3,4 cause do a low hit or F+4,3,4 then morph!
Maybe it's just practice, but now i'm focusing more on Jade :3 she's great but the thing that makes me like Tsung is the morph ability.
It's funny sometimes morph into the opponent and punish him/her with the same character :D

I'll keep trying to improve my Tsung skills!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16323949 0:56:00 DetroitBallin vs Alex Valle

Doesnt get any better than that match right there, for high level shang play

Also wanted to add a big thanks to the OP. Great stuff thats helping me develope a shang tsung. I still get my butt whooped online but Im getting there! lol

Last edited:
Shang Tsung advice

Any good Shang players here? I seem to have a bit of trouble fighting teleporting characters like Scorpion and Ermac. Also, are there any wakeup attacks for Shang? Or does he just sit their like a goon :p

And are his Sky skulls any good? or am I better off just keeping up woth Ground skulls?

Re: Shang Tsung advice

Any good Shang players here? I seem to have a bit of trouble fighting teleporting characters like Scorpion and Ermac. Also, are there any wakeup attacks for Shang? Or does he just sit their like a goon :p

And are his Sky skulls any good? or am I better off just keeping up woth Ground skulls?
ive seen a match were this guy (i think it was DetroitBallin) who would use the sky skulls (front) for people who tried to dash or jump toward him, i personally try to mic up between ground and sky skulls. Also Shang Tsungs Wakeup attack is his enhanced Soul Steal (i think it has to be enhanced, not sure though). not sure about the teleporting characters trouble though, other than to do a small combo then soul steal.

Re: Shang Tsung advice

on teleporters u can either soul steal or try to catch them with f+4,3 or a close ground skull to his juggle combo.....ex soul steal is his best wake-up attack but i normally just roll away.....sky skulls are good but i prefer ground

i have started to play with Shang....im not very good with him...but not very bad also.
yesterday i was playng KOTH and i think i made pretty good there...and when i won with him...everybody gave 0 points to me.... i dont care about points...but its just weird... when i was playng with cyrax they gave normal points.Do people hate Shang or fireballs ? But i like him...and going to master him :)

Shang is just a very difficult character to play, but once mastered well, can be a very hard opponent to beat. People just hate losing to him because they don't know how to beat him ;)
You should see what happens when you win with Quan Chi, can I get a death threat up in here? :p

For teleporters, I actually tend to do: front ground skull, 1, dash+1, 2, 2, fireball. Works everytime. It's great to master a character like Nightwolf because you get use to dash+1. I believe that punish deals over 20%, not sure.

I am learning Shang Tsung now, but it's time for me read more advices for him. Shang Tsung is AWFUL for close game though and he cannot really deal with pressure. I find weird they don't give him at least a good normal wake-up attack. His soul steal is a bit hard to input and highly punishable on block.

Great character though, he's lots of fun.

I was mainly using Kung Lao for quite a while prior to using Shang Tsung, and I must say, I love using him. Although his moves are pretty slow, he hits pretty hard, and for the most part his combos are fairly simple(you just need timing). Although, I do wish that he had a better wake up attack other than his soul steal(mainly EX). Also, its best/preferable to use b+2 against low blockers because you can do a soul steal or fireball right after. Just my 2 cents

Shang Tsung is awesome and has an amazing pressure game.

Close up fireball, jp, f4, close low fireball, 1,2 dash, 1,2 dash, 1,2 soul steal. 36% damage

That takes a bit of timing but he has some amazing lil tricks

His morph damage boost is insane.

Tranform into Sheevan then ex low grab, B2, 1+2, ex walk n grab: 73%..

Close up fireball, jp, 2,2,1, close ground fireball, then far ground fireball twice. Does 40% damage.

@ flagg u can get a 44% meterless wit shang by settin up an up skull, jip 221 DU4 DB4 DF4 DF4 forget about doin it online though its hard enough to do offline
also just for u mate set your opponent to block then do jip B1214 ex BB1 it builds HALF a bar of meter and does 11% chip :twisted: i only found dat yesterday

yeah anyone usin sektor against my shang better watch out wit an up rocket i can do 80% ish from a regular soul steal hweh hweh hweh

I'm loving Shang at the moment Stack, but using him in the training room and then using him online are two different things! I need to work on my timing, I tend to hit inputs quickly and you can't really do that with Shang cause of the negative edge.

But I think this guy has tons of potential, and im inspired by seeing yours in action!

I lost to a scorpion last night that did nothing but 2 specials and uppercut. I agree it is very hard to play him online lol. But I love his potential.

DU4, DB4, DF4 EX DB4, up skull, dash 1,2,1 is currently my BnB

Shang has the WORST uppercut in the game!

Why does everyone have different speeds? Sonya, NW and Cage have aweso$e uppercuts.