Official Soccer (football) Thread

Yeah, one of our pick up guys at work took the day off to watch Poland (he is Polish) and one of my co-workers took Monday off to watch England (he is obviously English).

June 19th is Ukraine vs England so I hope England chokes so I can rub it in at work, lol.

Yeah, one of our pick up guys at work took the day off to watch Poland (he is Polish) and one of my co-workers took Monday off to watch England (he is obviously English).

June 19th is Ukraine vs England so I hope England chokes so I can rub it in at work, lol.

That will probably happen. England always choke and one of our players will probably be playing really off because his Dad died recently.

My main family is Polish and Irish, while my cousins are Greek. So the match today was kind of a battle for family supremacy, which didn't happen lol.

The Dutch are very unlucky at the moment, but their defense is totally sloppy. Probably have the best attack in the tourney but they're missing half of their shots.

@Kzaoo - If we beat France this Monday, I will run out onto my street screaming.

Holland have wasted so many chances! Robben's (I think) shot was soo close, it was really unlucky that he hit the post.

@Taj I will have a heart attack if we beat france, but with Defoe not playing we're down a striker and Andy Carrol... is Andy Carrol so its going to be difficult.

Holland have wasted so many chances! Robben's (I think) shot was soo close, it was really unlucky that he hit the post.

@Taj I will have a heart attack if we beat france, but with Defoe not playing we're down a striker and Andy Carrol... is Andy Carrol so its going to be difficult.

Under 7 mins left from the time I'm posting this... Wow this may spell doom for the Dutch in the tournament, but history shows that the year they won Euro, they lost their first game. Germany vs Portugal is gonna be a cracker! (Andy Gray reference)

I'm seriously hoping they don't start Carroll... The team Hodgson chose is atrocious, no Ferdinand or Micah Richards, but Martin Kelly, Carroll and worst of all... Stewart Downing? Welbeck better start on Monday.

Do you think leaving out Ferdinand was because of "footballing reasons" or of the racism row?

Under 7 mins left from the time I'm posting this... Wow this may spell doom for the Dutch in the tournament, but history shows that the year they won Euro, they lost their first game. Germany vs Portugal is gonna be a cracker! (Andy Gray reference)

I'm seriously hoping they don't start Carroll... The team Hodgson chose is atrocious, no Ferdinand or Micah Richards, but Martin Kelly, Carroll and worst of all... Stewart Downing? Welbeck better start on Monday.

Do you think leaving out Ferdinand was because of "footballing reasons" or of the racism row?

It was obvious it was the racism row and that really disappoints me. I don't think issues like that should hinder England's performance. Whatever happens off the pitch happens but it shouldn't put us at a disadvantage off of the pitch.

holland wasn't effective and they paid for it. glad they paid for it as well. everybody underestimated denmark and showed arrogance. the very fact denmark is present in the competition shows they made an effort to win their ticket. not the best football you can find or the most spectacular one, more like the attempt to win games even with 1-0 logic but still makes things go forward for them. I believe group B will see portugal and holland going back home. so far, Russia was very enjoyable. fast, many goals, good game. other than that, I am routing for Germany but their game was horrible, almost fell asleep watching it. also, I believe Gomez is not a good striker no matter how many he scored in the bundesliga. if I were in Low's shoes, I'd get Klose, Helmes and Kiessling.

I watched Italy vs. Spain in an Irish Pub in Dubai last night. What an experience.

I love watching football in pubs, the atmosphere is awesome and theres a bunch of fat, drunk middle aged men shouting "COME ON ENGERRRLAAAAAAAND" its brilliant. especially when england score.

ukraine-flag.gif

TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY

Ukraine was fired up after the first Sweden goal. They completely outplayed them in the second half and deserve the win.

Good job, line judge, in that England match. Pretty sure John Terry was late from kicking that out. Oh well.

Quarterfinal predictions

Thursday 21st June -
Czech Republic 0-2 Portugal

Friday 22nd June -
Germany 3-1 Greece

Saturday 23rd June -
Spain 2-0 France

Sunday 24th June -
England 2-1a Italy

The final for the EURO was somewhat disappointing Italy just played like they never seen the ball which turned the game to a easy win for Spain and I don't like easy wins I prefer heated matches.

Who do you think will win the champions league?

What a week its been in football with the champions league semis and what I believe is the first time in champions League where we are going to have a derby final. I think its going to be really close and its nearly impossible to forecast who is going to win but if I had to pick I would say Real because they have so much attacking quality and as they proved against Bayern Munich they can defend great too. Athletico may have the edge over them in the league but I think when push comes to shove Real will prove too strong like they did when they defeated athletico in the copa del ray semi final this year.

I'm a die-hard Arsenal fan, but this week's CL results have been ideal. My second favourite team is RM simply because I love their players, we got Ozil from them, they took that absolute monster named Gareth Bale away from Spuds, and I'm a CR7 fan (him over Messi anyday). I really hope Real wins the final, and I hope Barca does Real a favour on the last day of La Liga and beats Atletico, but I highly doubt it.

Best case scenario for the Prem in my eyes: Everton loses tomorrow agains Man City, Arsenal then clinches 4th, City wins their remaining games and goes on to win the League, Liverpool doesn't deserve it due to the fact they had no European competitions, and Arsenal win the FA Cup.

That's my soccer hope for the next few weeks.

Glad to see another Gunner here then, I too am a big fan as I was born not far from Highbury. Everyting was going smoothly for Arsenal with the league until the injuries kicked in. Hopefully Arsenal will win tommorow and qualify for the champions League with a game to spare and we desperately need to defeat Hull in the FA Cup final, its been too long without a trophy now. I am hoping Wenger brings in a world class striker like falcao, costa or van huntelar this summer (as I think van persei was never properly replaced) instead of going after lars bender or draxler and adding to our already overcrowded midfield.

I hope Liverpool win the League because it would be their first time taking the crown in the Premiership era and I think it would be more healthier for football as they worked very hard to get to where they are unlike in my opinion Man City who just seem to be buying success

Last edited:
Glad to see another Gunner here then, I too am a big fan as I was born not far from Highbury. Everyting was going smoothly for Arsenal with the league until the injuries kicked in. Hopefully Arsenal will win tommorow and qualify for the champions League with a game to spare and we desperately need to defeat Hull in the FA Cup final, its been too long without a trophy now. I am hoping Wenger brings in a world class striker like falcao, costa or van huntelar this summer (as I think van persei was never properly replaced) instead of going after lars bender or draxler and adding to our already overcrowded midfield.

I hope Liverpool win the League because it would be their first time taking the crown in the Premiership era and I think it would be more healthier for football as they worked very hard to get to where they are unlike in my opinion Man City who just seem to be buying success

Man, losing Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott KILLED our season, but I'm glad we pulled ourselves back together. As I'm writing this post, its currently half time at Goodison Park, and it's 2-1 for Man City, if City wins, we clinch 4th. So 45 mins left! And you're right about the striker, I don't see us spending heavily on Falcao cuz that dude is expensive as hell and I see Balotelli or Mandzukic as more realistic targets.

I know it'll be good for Football if Liverpool wins, however, we all know what the stupid narratives are gonna be by the British media if they do, "they beat the odds", etc. when in reality they didn't have to deal with Champions League or Europa League this year. That and Liverpool fans are ANNOYING AS FACK, probably tied with Chelsea in second place in terms of annoying fans (Man United is obviously first place).