Official Baseball Thread

Frank McCourt should be taken away in handcuffs for stealing money!

After failing to purchase the Dead Sox...I mean, Red Sox, he then proceeds to spend $430 million to buy the Dodgers from FOX. What does he proceed to do to it? He runs the franchise into shambles, dumps his wife (and coughs up $130 million in the process), and even has to borrow money just to make payroll...and he STILL manages to walk away from the team with $2 billion in his pocket courtesy of a new ownership group that includes NBA Hall of Famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

i_jays5.jpg

I like my Blue Jays but, OMG 3RD PLACE? DAMN, NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE...OHWAIT

I really miss our 1992/93 team.

I like my Blue Jays but, OMG 3RD PLACE? DAMN, NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE...OHWAIT

I really miss our 1992/93 team.

Lol... try being an Astros fan right now. My, how the mighty have fallen. I still can't believe with all the bad seasons they had in the '60s and '70s, that last season they managed to have their worst record EVER. I guess I got spoiled by that run of relative success they had from the late '90s through the mid '00s. Guess it's back the Astros I grew up with again...

Lol... try being an Astros fan right now. My, how the mighty have fallen. I still can't believe with all the bad seasons they had in the '60s and '70s, that last season they managed to have their worst record EVER. I guess I got spoiled by that run of relative success they had from the late '90s through the mid '00s. Guess it's back the Astros I grew up with again...

On behalf of Giants fans everywhere, I'd like to thank the Astros for our first perfect game in the franchise's 130-year history. ;)

There's no need to talk smack about a perfect game. Those are special. Were I watching the game, I would have been rooting for Cain myself by the end.

So many no-hitters already this year; definitely is the era of the pitcher.

I heard they're trying to change Dickey's one hitter into a no-hitter. I don't know about that; it won't have that same mystique as actually pitching a no-hitter in game to me. They probably won't end up changing it anyway.

All these no-hitters we've had since 2009 is further proof that we need steroids back in Baseball! And while we're at it, I would like to suggest that Jose Canseco should be the next Commissioner!

All these no-hitters we've had since 2009 is further proof that we need steroids back in Baseball! And while we're at it, I would like to suggest that Jose Canseco should be the next Commissioner!

Can't tell if serious... lol.

Anyone else think Bonds deserves a spot on the Giants's hitting staff? I think if McGwire can get a hitting spot with the Cardinals, then Bonds should definitely be able to imo.

There's no need to talk smack about a perfect game. Those are special. Were I watching the game, I would have been rooting for Cain myself by the end.

It was friendly smack. I thought maybe the wink would be a clear indication of that. I was just trying to generate some activity in here. Mission accomplished. :-D

As for juicers, I think it's stupid to scrutinize those guys for something that was generally accepted at the time. Did it give them an unfair advantage? Maybe. But I don't think steroids teaches you how to hit a ball and hit it well.

Last edited:
As for juicers, I think it's stupid to scrutinize those guys for something that was generally accepted at the time. Did it give them an unfair advantage? Maybe. But I don't think steroids teaches you how to hit a ball and hit it well.

I totally agree with you; there's no arguing that they definitely got an advantage over the players who didn't, but at the end of the day they still have to hit the ball, and last I checked, steroids didn't help that facet of a player's game.

The only thing I have conflicting feelings about is if they should be allowed in the HOF; I'm sure there are steroid users who already are, but to me since the MLB is against steroids I can understand why they wouldn't want someone who admitted using em in the HOF. I probably shouldn't worry about that anyway since I'm sure the voters will do their best to keep steroid users out anyway lol; just look at McGwire.

I don't condone cheating at all, and I respect the fact that they want to keep steroids out of a lot of sports, as they should, but I really don't believe steroids were the reason those ball players were so great. That comes from something else. Case in point, several MMA fighters - a physically demanding sport might I add - were busted for steroids following a loss. If you scroll to the bottom of that article, you'll find that the success rate is not in favor of the abusers (14-21).

Last edited:
Steroids may have been accepted, but they're still cheating. I do agree that eventually the great players from this era do need to go into the Hall of Fame though. It's not like Pete Rose where he broke a rule that everyone knew would get you a lifetime ban, ever since the days of the Black Sox. There's no precedent for punishing these players that used steroids back in those days. Players that are doing it NOW, as far as I'm concerned, can be punished however the league would like. But as offended as the purists are about how steroids disrupted the purity of the records and stuff (and I felt their pain, at least for a bit), they need to get over it. No one is still whining about the pitching records being skewed back before 1920 when spitballs were legal. Baseball goes through eras. You just have to look at each era for what it is. All that having been said, though, I'm glad they're cleaning it up.

Also, @trash... come on dude, every real baseball fan knows great pitching is way better than insane home runs.

Blacklisting steroid users from Cooperstown and taking away their career stats is the biggest double-standard since the AL office's reversal of the George Brett Pine Tar incident! Gaylord Perry threw illegal spitballs...he's in Cooperstown! Leo Durocher went Spygate on the National League to catch the Dodgers in the standings in 1951...he's in Cooperstown! Yogi Berra intentionally scratched balls with the buckle of his shinguards while Whitey Ford was on the mound...both are in Cooperstown! So if you're suggesting that steroid users should be blacklisted from Cooperstown while at the same time ignoring the shady tactics of those already enshrined, then you're talking out of both sides of your mouth!

And only ONCE has the asterisk ever been used in the Major League record book, and that asterisk eventually went bye-bye!

So if you're suggesting that steroid users should be blacklisted from Cooperstown while at the same time ignoring the shady tactics of those already enshrined, then you're talking out of both sides of your mouth!

Uh, no I wasn't suggesting that at all actually... did you read my post?

One of the most recent cases I could find of a pitcher using spitballs was Gaylord Perry. He pitched for 8 different teams between 1962-1983. He was notorious for doctoring the ball with vaseline or rosin, even going as far as psyching players into thinking he was doctoring it by touching various parts of his body. His first ejection from a game for ball doctoring, believe it or not, wasn't until 1982. He retired the following year with over 314 wins and 3534 strikeouts.

Oh, and he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991. :huh:

I still think the "Spitball" is all mental. Unless the pitcher is hawking on the ball, I don't see that much of an affect. And I'm pretty sure there has been times where pitchers have been using the spitter and cats drove it out of the park.

It's not impossible to hit. A spitball is designed to alter the weight on one side, manipulating wind resistance which creates an irregular approach (a break).

According to the test below, it requires more skill to throw a spitball than a regular pitch. However, they didn't test vaseline. I'm not sure if vaseline is meant to do the same thing or if it just makes it harder to square off. Regardless, it's a banned pitch no matter what, yet Gaylord Perry was still inducted into the HoF despite breaking that rule for 20 years. If that's the case, then nobody should have a problem with juicers being inducted.

Also, according to MythBusters, a corked bat has fewer benefits over a regular bat. It seems like everything that's considered cheating doesn't really give players much of an advantage, and if that list of MMA fighters is anything to go by, steroids are no exception. I think all those guys should still be inducted.

Last edited:
I hate to mix politics with sports, but once again the Federal Government wasted time and resources trying to make an example of a baseball star who allegedly used performance-enhancing drugs, and this time, the baseball star in question was acquitted on all counts!. If you ask me, the case should've been thrown in the trash last year after it was declared a mistrial. As a matter of fact, the case should not have been tried in the first place. If you can't prove perjury, then don't even bother pressing perjury charges!

Last edited: