New Feature: Post Thanks

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
While the anonymous reputation system failed, I thought we needed SOMETHING to encourage good posts. So I've added a "Thanks" option to posts. That's why it's not anonymous too, so others will see what you are doing. So the good users will be obvious when they give other good posts a Thanks. This system is to encourage GOOD POSTS, so please use it as such.

I didn't want to announce this feature, but I see some people are already abusing it so I've had to make changes and make this post to explain it's purpose.

Rules:
- You need 100 Posts in order to use the Thank feature.
- There is a limit to the number of posts you can Thank a day. Currently: 10
- Can not be used in the NetherRealm Section
- To be used for what you feel is a good contribution .

It is not allowed in the NetherRealm because that place is already a wicked hive of scum and villainy and it was being abused within minutes of me adding the feature. Other sections may be added as further abuse is noticed.

Also like reputation, if you are found to be abusing the system, the ability to use it WILL BE REVOKED.

Last edited:
Re: You can now Thank people for their posts

I like this new system in place.
Many hopes for more informative posts. :)

Hm... this feature has promise.

Also, nice Star Wars reference Pat.

Thanks for this feature, I hope it encourages people to make more useful and helpful posts, something that has been quite rare this past few months.

Also any plans to integrate it into the mobile version? That would be helpful. :)

I think it's a good idea and I've seen it implicated on other message boards.
Sorry to have upset you so deeply by "abusing" the feature. Was just having fun. Seems this is frowned upon these days.

It's not that fun is frowned upon, just abusing the feature is NOT what I had in mind when I've been debating adding something to encourage people to contribute to the site beyond posting bullshit all day in the NetherRealm threads.

Plus it was being mocked openly too while being abused. That's not fun for me, the person putting the work into these things.

Thanks for this feature, I hope it encourages people to make more useful and helpful posts, something that has been quite rare this past few months.

Also any plans to integrate it into the mobile version? That would be helpful. :)

I agree it's been a problem around here as of late, and I want to make it better. This is the first of many steps.

As far as mobile, that's harder but not impossible. Someday once we decide on the mobile approach, we have a few options right now in use and a few more in early thought stages. But I'd say likely not for a while if ever.

This is a really cool feature! I've got a question, though. Do you only thank helpful posts? Or if somebody makes a really well thought out post that adds to the discussion can you 'thank' them?

Understandable. I am just simply saying that from my own personal standpoint, my intentions were not to abuse the thank feature. No mockery or jabs, just being silly. :p

And you were not the only one abusing it, others were already mocking it openly.

This is a really cool feature! I've got a question, though. Do you only thank helpful posts? Or if somebody makes a really well thought out post that adds to the discussion can you 'thank' them?

That sounds like the perfect thing to thank. Well thought out, helpful, well worded, etc are all GOOD posts and should all be rewarded.

Also I'm told this statement above has offended people:

...adding something to encourage people to contribute to the site beyond posting bullshit all day in the NetherRealm threads.

But I stand by it, there hasn't been a day in the past few months that I haven't gone into that section in the site and found behavior and conversations that I was offended by or felt a bit ashamed to have ON MY WEBSITE. I've even seen borderline hateful statements left for me and the rest of the staff. Hence the changes I've made with restricting language and content further around here, and adding things like this feature. I want to encourage people to be better, well PEOPLE, and thusly get all of us a much better community.

If you disagree with my feelings on this matter and want to allow others to be being terrible people who insult other races, sexes, other users and even the site's staff then here's the door: Logout.

Those wanting to leave because they can't say the offensive things they could say before, then I'm sorry but thank you for your time in the past and you are always welcome back.

Also to those who hate me for making a site about violent video games all "kid friendly" you must realize it's not about being kid friendly but rather being better people. If being better people seems wrong for you, maybe you are the child.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong I like the idea and I think it's cool.

But from my experience people who would make good posts would make them anyways. With or without reward.

I doubt anyone is gonna make a post just to get "thanks"

Where as If they DO make a good post though. It does let them feel good about it.

So IMO it's not really encouraging enough to make more quality posts. But it can serve the purpose of someone who put in work to know just how much appreciated it is.

I mean some people appreciate a post and don't even post about it. I remember during the Rep system I got like +30 reps from people and only like 10 people posted lol.

But from my experience people who would make good posts would make them anyways. With or without reward.

Where as If they DO make a good post though. It does let them feel good about it.

So IMO it's not really encouraging enough to make more quality posts. But it can serve the purpose of someone who put in work to know just how much appreciated it is.

I mean some people appreciate a post and don't even post about it. I remember during the Rep system I got like +30 reps from people and only like 10 people posted lol.

Very good points, and I don't think encouraging good users is a bad thing at all. Making it public may help encourage other people to also encourage now. Peer pressure type of thing.

I think it has more to do with differentiating the helpful contributors from the others, that way people get to know who actually posts useful or well thought out posts. When such a differentiation is made, it is only natural that others too would want to want to be known as helpful and useful members as well and strive to be better.

I think it has more to do with differentiating the helpful contributors from the others, that way people get to know who actually posts useful or well thought out posts. When such a differentiation is made, it is only natural that others too would want to want to be known as helpful and useful members as well and strive to be better.

This is a valid point,

In the end result it matters based on the person. I personally have no goals of being some glorified person with 5,000 thank yous under my belt. I'm gonna be just as helpful as I've always been if I'm needed for input.

But that doesn't mean someone else won't be as Patrick put it. Under peer pressure. When there are like 8 people hanging out with a ton of "Thanks" and you got like 1. I can see what you mean by it says something about them. And to some people that kind of stuff matters.

I mean... you see some people post unproductive stuff everywhere just to get a post count up. So some people are interested in these kinds of things.

I was just making a note I don't think it's gonna be like a very notice-able difference lol.

I don't expect BBBLP to make a in-depth Frame data guide for sektor anytime soon, for some thanks.

Is all I'm saying lol.

I mean... you see some people post unproductive stuff everywhere just to get a post count up. So some people are interested in these kinds of things.

I see what you mean, but the only thread(s) where you can post unproductive stuff are in the NetherRealm section, where post count doesn't go up (such as Just Talk 2).
Otherwise, there's the report button if people double post, post nonsense or just flame altogether.

I see what you mean, but the only thread(s) where you can post unproductive stuff are in the NetherRealm section, where post count doesn't go up (such as Just Talk 2).
Otherwise, there's the report button if people double post, post nonsense or just flame altogether.

yes but people can disguise their spam as something else.

Like go into a thread quote somebody and say "I agree with this!" and bam no more input.

You can make one liners in legit threads and not be called out for spam. It's a moment when MOST people wouldn't bother posting if they got nothing to say. But a person who cares about post counts will find a way to say something.

This thread isn't about post counts though so lets not talk about that.

It's a different issue I only used that to show some people care about forum stats.

Like go into a thread quote somebody and say "I agree with this!" and bam no more input.

That's another reason why this feature exists, so people should be using the Thanks button instead of replying like that. I may even expand the minimum post count for posts to prevent posts like "I agree with this!"

I think you should make the little box thing smaller.
Or like just add numbers by the post that pop up who thanked it.

Don't need to see that Dudes Q, F & G thanked Dude A for posting a video of Rainbow Tylenol

Last edited:

Don't need to see that Dudes N, I & G thanked Dude A for posting a video of Rainbow Tylenol

It's not even that big and thanking like Pat said should not be super frequent.

So I really don't see why the box needs to be shrinked. All you have to do is scroll past it.

It's not even that big and thanking like Pat said should not be super frequent.

Thats a prediction, not a prophecy.

Its not a big deal though.
However I wish I could add messages to the thanks I give.
That way I could thank your post right now and tell you to live long and prosper

Don't need to see that Dudes Q, F & G thanked Dude A for posting a video of Rainbow Tylenol

You may have edited your post, but you do that shit again and you're banned. That's working around the rule and just being plain disrespectful of the rule.