Martial Arts Thread

mr fearless

In the streets you can't use jiu-jitsu unless u r 100 per cent its 1-on-1. Thats how u get stuck. Jiu-jitsu is sick and if your goin u againts someone who doesn't know it and u get in on them they're finished. I just perfer the muay thai. If my muay thai game aint workin ill go2 my wrestling and jiu-jitsu game. And if u get into a street fight and u hit ur jiu-jitsu on him, don't force him to submit. Rip his arm off like my girl sheeva. haha

Kobra

Just gotten my yellow belt on thursday! I know the worse has yet to come on this great mountain and I have yet to conquer it.

Flagg

I used to do Judo, Taekwondo and Kick Boxing.

To be perfectly honest, if you want to learn a self defence technique that is PRACTICAL, that is, something you can use in the street, then just go for kick-boxing, or even better, plain boxing.

Unfortunately this is real life, not a Jackie Chan film, and learning a martial art that has an "x" or "shiro" in the title, does not mean you are going to be doing back flips and roundhouses on people trying to mug you.

Flying Jinko

I used to do Judo, Taekwondo and Kick Boxing.

To be perfectly honest, if you want to learn a self defence technique that is PRACTICAL, that is, something you can use in the street, then just go for kick-boxing, or even better, plain boxing.

Unfortunately this is real life, not a Jackie Chan film, and learning a martial art that has an "x" or "shiro" in the title, does not mean you are going to be doing back flips and roundhouses on people trying to mug you.
Sadly this is quite an apparent problem with martial arts training off late. The popularisation of martial arts as competitive sports is what has led to the dilution of the very essences of martial arts. Most intructors train students to be good ''competitors'' in tournaments and completely ignore all the other fundamentals in martial arts training.

Well frankly speaking all the oriental and base martial arts (those that are not derived from another) have techniques you can use in self defence. Its not really the lack of techniques in any art, but rather the dilution of art over generations, and lack of really good martial arts instructors. I suggest looking for a really credible instructor trained in a variety of martial arts and one who does not entirely focus on competitive training.

With that said, having been trained in a variety of martial arts myself, the one which is most helpful in the streets is Ju Jitsu along with any other offensive martial art. The main reason why I emphasize on Ju Jitsu is because the joint locks, pressure points, grapples and takedowns you learn are really effective and usually only another person trained in Ju Jitsu and who also knows how to counter each of these locks, can escape.

If punching and kicking was how someone wants to protect themselves from getting mugged etc, you don't even need to learn martial arts.

Edit: If you find an instructor/academy teaching Krav Maga, that is your best bet to learn how to defend yourself in street fights, one on one fights etc.

Last edited:

Flying Jinko

jiu jitsu isn't good in the streets. u never want to be holding sum1. dats how u get stabbed.
I think you are confusing Ju Jitsu with Judo or Brazalian Ju Jitsu. Both Judo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu are more competitive oriented. The main focus of Judo, is throws and takedowns and the focus to Brazilian Ju Jitsu is to get the opponent on the ground and lock him. Both of these are impractical in real life situations.

However Ju Jitsu, in its tradional forms have lots of disarming techniques which is really useful in real life situations. Also contrary to popular beliefs Ju Jitsu employs strikes and kicks as well and not just a grab based martial art.

Learn you some.

Last edited:

FlawlessVictor

What do you guys think of palm strikes vs. fists? Is one more effective than the other or are they situational in their applications?

Flying Jinko

What do you guys think of palm strikes vs. fists? Is one more effective than the other or are they situational in their applications?

Both palm strikes and fist strikes have their pros and cons.

The correct way to strike with fists, is using just the first 2 big knuckles with the fist bent slightly downwards so that only the knuckles comes in contact with the target. But there is a high risk of breaking your bones or bending your wrist (the main reason why boxers wear hand wraps). At the same time, a closed fist punch has more range,is easier to execute and damages a larger surface area compared to the palm.

The correct way to strike using the palm is to bend the fingers on the open palm and strike using the heel of the palm. The heel of the palm is much less prone to injury as the heel does not bend thus preventing the force being directed away from the point of impact. This allows for harder strikes compared to fist and the smaller surface area of impact contributes to it as well. But palm strikes are effective only in limited areas of the body (ex forehead, upper part of nose, chin, temples, middle part of chest etc). In other words in areas which have very little flesh and more bone the palm strike is more effective. Fists can be used for both bone and flesh areas though, Palms will do more damage to the former. Palm strikes also suffer from range as well.

Bottomline is there are many different techniques of striking both ways. The techniques I mentioned above are just the basic methods to strike. It is mainly upto the individual to judge which to use in different situations based on its effectiveness

FlawlessVictor

Both palm strikes and fist strikes have their pros and cons.

The correct way to strike with fists, is using just the first 2 big knuckles with the fist bent slightly downwards so that only the knuckles comes in contact with the target. But there is a high risk of breaking your bones or bending your wrist (the main reason why boxers wear hand wraps). At the same time, a closed fist punch has more range,is easier to execute and damages a larger surface area compared to the palm.

The correct way to strike using the palm is to bend the fingers on the open palm and strike using the heel of the palm. The heel of the palm is much less prone to injury as the heel does not bend thus preventing the force being directed away from the point of impact. This allows for harder strikes compared to fist and the smaller surface area of impact contributes to it as well. But palm strikes are effective only in limited areas of the body (ex forehead, upper part of nose, chin, temples, middle part of chest etc). In other words in areas which have very little flesh and more bone the palm strike is more effective. Fists can be used for both bone and flesh areas though, Palms will do more damage to the former. Palm strikes also suffer from range as well.

Bottomline is there are many different techniques of striking both ways. The techniques I mentioned above are just the basic methods to strike. It is mainly upto the individual to judge which to use in different situations based on its effectiveness

Thanks for taking the time to explain the key differences between fists and palms. I appreciate it.

Flying Jinko

I thought of taking up Hapkido some time soon to add to my martial arts repository. Wanted some feedback on it (duration, focus, grading etc) if anyone here is learning/learnt it. :)

MoozeBlaster

I have been serious about martial arts since 1995. My main styles are Muay Thai and Kung-Fu. But i have also trained seriously in arts like: Krav Maga, Capoeira, Kyokushin Karate, ITF Taekwondo, and MMA.

And some basic training in Kali Sikaran, Taiji, Krabi Krabong, Judo, and Aikido.

Greenstar

I've done Karate when I was younger and I am finally going to start again and pick it up tomorrow! I am really excited.

I tried Judo in school and didn't like it because of all the contact I guess.. I also tried Yoseikan one time but it just wasn't for me, I can't explain. Karate is my all time favorite I guess. I hope I can pick it up again quickly and get back in better shape :D

Kzaoo

I used to do a few martial arts: Muay Thai, Judo & Karate, but I had to quit due to my personal life. Lots of good memorids . I made so many friends then, too. I would recommend that people with low confidence give martial arts a try too. My confidence is still ass but it helped me be able to pretend that I was confident. Good skill for life there.

Substitute Zero

This thread has been pretty quite now for some time but I thought I would like to share my martial arts experience with the mk community :) I have been into martial arts most of my life and tho I havent practiced in a long time its always close to my hearth. I took up Shotokan Karate at a young age and earned a brown belt at it and won tournament at it and have a crystal award lying on my shelf that I won. I've also briefly tried out Kyokushin karate and Tai Chi. I've too much going on for me right now to get back into it but its always on my mind wheter it playing mk, watching kung fu movies or watching the UFC. I do hope to get back into it again and take up something different I would like to do JKD but dont know of anywhere that teaches it so maybe ether Kung fu or Taekwondo.