Jade Thread - "Good Boy!"

My friend wants to give up on MK because of spammers and stuff. He gets easily irritated. His main was Noob Saibot but now I convinced him to keep playing MK. He now wants to main Jade. Any simple tips for him to get him started? Because I'd hate to see him completely leave MK. Thanks :)

My friend wants to give up on MK because of spammers and stuff. He gets easily irritated. His main was Noob Saibot but now I convinced him to keep playing MK. He now wants to main Jade. Any simple tips for him to get him started? Because I'd hate to see him completely leave MK. Thanks :)

lol Kind of hard to just give out random tips considering there is SOOOO much to tell. but I'll give it a shot.

-Anytime You are knocked away from someone with a good projectile they will always "Meaty" you by shooting a projectile to get you to block/take chip/gain meter. So ALWAYS glow on wake up from a distance. That way your on even footing because now you both get meter from specials and anytime you got glow on... they will usually get scared and do 1 of 3 things(They can do more but this is usually what I experience.)

They will start retreating by jumping back(counter with projectile)
They will start crouching w/o block to get ready for shadow kick(Dash in and DB2 for pressure, or Up+3, or B2)
They will throw another projectile in hopes to stop you from approaching just wait a split second block it. Then depending on how fast they are with projectiles glow again then re approach. If they have a really slow projectile you can glow, and just zone back.

~Anytime you expect a trip on wake up, or a low starter. you can DB2 on wake up it's usually safe. As the move jumps over the low hits. then comes down on them

~Don't just use EX glow as defense, Use it as a offense when you think they will attack you after a string. as in you know when you do a string that they usually counter you on, you can keep on the offense. and scare them into block.

~U+3, B+2, Shadow kick, Back dash, jump back are her best starting options.

~Remember EX DB2 has armor frames and can be used as a quick counter. It's better than using EX glow then doing normal DB2.

Have him read my big post a few pages back.

Um they don't have to fuzzy guard... None of that hits overhead. 342 is punishable on block so on hit confirm you should instead of doing 2 you can input DF2 or shadow kick ect.

Touche. I meant to say that if they block high you can 342 for a mix up because they have to block the 4 low, and then you can catch them with an EX db2 that's pretty reliable if you want to waste the meter. Cancelling unsafe string into 'safe' specials like staff or kick should be a gimme.

If you EX upperang and the opponent jumps in you can usually catch them.with it and combo from it with 12. Just uppercut does 21% and 12 variants usually do 20-23% Good for corner pressure as you can usually close the space fast enough and get even more damage in. Best I got was EX upperang, jump in kick, 12 kick 12 staff. 33%.

Also, If you catch the guy in the air with a jump in punch you can d3 before he hits the ground, and cancel into kicks for 10%. I noticed krayzie bone doing this a lot.

Touche. I meant to say that if they block high you can 342 for a mix up because they have to block the 4 low, and then you can catch them with an EX db2 that's pretty reliable if you want to waste the meter. Cancelling unsafe string into 'safe' specials like staff or kick should be a gimme.

If you EX upperang and the opponent jumps in you can usually catch them.with it and combo from it with 12. Just uppercut does 21% and 12 variants usually do 20-23% Good for corner pressure as you can usually close the space fast enough and get even more damage in. Best I got was EX upperang, jump in kick, 12 kick 12 staff. 33%.

Also, If you catch the guy in the air with a jump in punch you can d3 before he hits the ground, and cancel into kicks for 10%. I noticed krayzie bone doing this a lot.

You want to be blocking low almost all the time anyways. considering jade's only overhead is the staff overhead which can be stand blocked on reaction. And her grab, but that's a given. But I suppose not everyone blocks low against jade, which they really should. They should treat Jade's pressure like lui kang's where you'd rather block low to avoid that low starter and Stand block the overhead that's later in his other string.

I'm not saying 3,4,2 is useless. It has uses. It's just not that easy to condition a low blocker to be open for that. The only way to condition them to block high is to have a overhead like Kung lao's F2, or Mileena's U4 ect. Even if it just hits them and knocked them back a little bit Jade would benefit greatly but she doesn't have that overhead. She has to rely on using DB2 which you can block on reaction(Unless you're willing to burn meter.)

THE BEST mix up I've used for her 3,4,2 is with a crossover jump punch.
For the following scenario.

We all know jump punch is medium so they gotta stand block it if they are already holding block.
Since that forces them to stand, You can do 3.... this is where you mix it up.

You can do the 4,2 like you said if you think they will stay standing. Or you can overhead with DB2. If they choose to block low expecting the 4,2. They already spent animation time going down. Making the window for them to reaction back up WAY smaller. making it hard for them to reaction block the DB2.

mix up for 3,DB2 into 3,4,2.

and then obviously the DF2 if you get fuzzy blocked on 4.

the amount of strain on concentration it takes to realize 3 is being blocked to change to DF2. is very annoying lol. such a small window to change your string on hit confirm.

Last edited:
You want to be blocking low almost all the time anyways. considering jade's only overhead is the staff overhead which can be stand blocked on reaction. And her grab, but that's a given. But I suppose not everyone blocks low against jade, which they really should. They should treat Jade's pressure like lui kang's where you'd rather block low to avoid that low starter and Stand block the overhead that's later in his other string.

I'm not saying 3,4,2 is useless. It has uses. It's just not that easy to condition a low blocker to be open for that. The only way to condition them to block high is to have a overhead like Kung lao's F2, or Mileena's U4 ect. Even if it just hits them and knocked them back a little bit Jade would benefit greatly but she doesn't have that overhead. She has to rely on using DB2 which you can block on reaction(Unless you're willing to burn meter.)

That is true. Now that I think about it, she doesn't even have any strings that hit mid. even kitana has b1,2 which is safe on black.

Oh, I see. Which is more reliable, the B1 option select or 2 or 3 as a bnb starter? They all seem slow.

Any tips for getting rushed down with cage. I swear im going to break my pad.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. Which is more reliable, the B1 option select or 2 or 3 as a bnb starter? They all seem slow.

You mean like a dash in attack?

Everything jade has, has a slow start up except. her normals like 1,2 D3 D4 and nuetral 4.

Most of my damage comes from EX shadow glow, Enhanced DB2 counter, And various ways of opening up a knock down scenario where I throw a low EX boomerang to whiff the first hit on purpose and have the 2nd part hit on the way back so I can combo off it. Basically spending meter.

I very rarely break their defense w/o them falling for a Normal DB2 spacing, Shadow kicks through their projectiles, or Shadow glow through a projectile and start her F2,1,2.

I generally play footsies until they let go of block. And I get them to let go of block by giving out a deceiving opening. such as If you spam D3. They slowly move away. Just as they get out of range, you can change to a move with more range such as U3. and they tend to let go of block thinking they are out of range and U3 comes out so fast they get hit out of any attempt they were trying. Unless they cross over jump immediately then the U3 will whiff. But if you recognize they jump over. Anytime you push them out of range like tha twith your quick footsies. you can throw out a Nuetral jump punch to get them to stop that crossover jump. Just after your string.

B1 is really slow. It should never be used w/o the Jump in punch as an approach move. however you can punish things like Kung lao's spin and Scorpions teleport(wait for him to land) and get a full combo with B1

Last edited:
Good info. It seems that Jade deals with rushdown horribly. Sometimes I can't get the recovery roll out, but any options to prevent crossups?

I know theres njp, 12 with appropriate space, and back kick. Let it be known that 24 hat is invincible online. might as well take the hits instead of blocking. shit.

Good info. It seems that Jade deals with rushdown horribly. Sometimes I can't get the recovery roll out, but any options to prevent crossups?

I know theres njp, 12 with appropriate space, and back kick. Let it be known that 24 hat is invincible online. might as well take the hits instead of blocking. shit.

Kung Lao is a different story altogether footsies are dangerous vs him. I gotta leave soon we can chat more jade talk later.

Am I the only one that bothers to use EX Razorang mind games and mixups...

My go to bnb is 3/2/B+1 xx DB+2 dash B+2 dash B+3 2 xx EX Razorang

The projectile whiffs on the throw, but allows for great pressure on wakeup as well as several mind game oppurtunities...

Any EX shuriken hits a crouching opponent on the rebound. The shuriken stuffs most wakeups and it trades with most as well. We know that from the video...

But throwing out a low shuriken forces the opponent to block low to avoid the shuriken... A staff overhead can be blocked on reaction, yes. But if the low shuriken is blocked low, a guarding opponent is pushed JUST out of SO range. This can allow Jade to start to gain meter with more low shuriken pressure. However, the opponent will generally try to rush a Jade that has a spacing advantage (all players know her rushdown isn't phenomenal, and she is deadly in optimal spacing.... or at least, most) Throwing out a staff overhead right when you are able to usually catches a not very well versed player if they try to dash in on you. If you suspect a projectile, use a flash and counter with a shadow kick. This is a faster and safer option that can net an extra 10% or so on hit. It being safe on block can give Jade the opportunity to throw out a sweep or a command grab to catch an opponent on the offensive. If you throw out a standard out high shuriken you can not only catch them on a wakeup attack (generally), but the stun from the hit allows for more combo opportunities... (jp B+1 etc etc.) And from there you can chain another shuriken mindgame. And on a standing opponent, you can use the blockstun as an opportunity to jp 34 xx overhead etc etc. for extended mind games, resets etc. etc.

The reason I am posting this is that I don't see many people take advantage of her awesome shurikens... I remember I won a match against a KL 2-1 because when he used an X-Ray on wakeup (that would've killed me easy...) the EX shuriken came back on the rebound and won the match for me ;)

Am I the only one that bothers to use EX Razorang mind games and mixups...

My go to bnb is 3/2/B+1 xx DB+2 dash B+2 dash B+3 2 xx EX Razorang

The projectile whiffs on the throw, but allows for great pressure on wakeup as well as several mind game oppurtunities...

Any EX shuriken hits a crouching opponent on the rebound. The shuriken stuffs most wakeups and it trades with most as well. We know that from the video...

But throwing out a low shuriken forces the opponent to block low to avoid the shuriken... A staff overhead can be blocked on reaction, yes. But if the low shuriken is blocked low, a guarding opponent is pushed JUST out of SO range. This can allow Jade to start to gain meter with more low shuriken pressure. However, the opponent will generally try to rush a Jade that has a spacing advantage (all players know her rushdown isn't phenomenal, and she is deadly in optimal spacing.... or at least, most) Throwing out a staff overhead right when you are able to usually catches a not very well versed player if they try to dash in on you. If you suspect a projectile, use a flash and counter with a shadow kick. This is a faster and safer option that can net an extra 10% or so on hit. It being safe on block can give Jade the opportunity to throw out a sweep or a command grab to catch an opponent on the offensive. If you throw out a standard out high shuriken you can not only catch them on a wakeup attack (generally), but the stun from the hit allows for more combo opportunities... (jp B+1 etc etc.) And from there you can chain another shuriken mindgame. And on a standing opponent, you can use the blockstun as an opportunity to jp 34 xx overhead etc etc. for extended mind games, resets etc. etc.

The reason I am posting this is that I don't see many people take advantage of her awesome shurikens... I remember I won a match against a KL 2-1 because when he used an X-Ray on wakeup (that would've killed me easy...) the EX shuriken came back on the rebound and won the match for me ;)

When dealing with a crouched opponent.
Try B3, 2. Into enhanced upward Boomerange. The first hit will whiff the croucher then if they drop block hit them on the way back.

I also like to do F2,1,2. Let them hit the ground then do EX low boomerang to catch them on wake up when it returns for a reset into B1.

that'st he extent of my EX rangs. I use the tag version once in a while to keep pressure up when I think I might lose it.

When dealing with a crouched opponent.
Try B3, 2. Into enhanced upward Boomerange. The first hit will whiff the croucher then if they drop block hit them on the way back.

I also like to do F2,1,2. Let them hit the ground then do EX low boomerang to catch them on wake up when it returns for a reset into B1.

that'st he extent of my EX rangs. I use the tag version once in a while to keep pressure up when I think I might lose it.

But the return doesn't chain into a combo... the combo breaks, but is that just a hiccup in the game?

But the return doesn't chain into a combo... the combo breaks, but is that just a hiccup in the game?

Return rangs do combo the trick is to make the first hit whiff. try the f2,1,2. Then do low ex range. On return dash in and b1. Do the same combo w/o return range. You'll notice a difference in %.

Make sure you whiff on the range on the way out. But hit on the way in.

I'll just leave this here for no reason......because I'm bored lol

34410%20-%20Jade%20Mortal_Kombat.jpg

Return rangs do combo the trick is to make the first hit whiff. try the f2,1,2. Then do low ex range. On return dash in and b1. Do the same combo w/o return range. You'll notice a difference in %.

Make sure you whiff on the range on the way out. But hit on the way in.

I know that, but the LOW ex boomerang doesn't guarantee a combo, the opponent can block before you attack... I tested it several times with all of her starters... It seems only the norm and AA boomerang guarantee a combo on hit on the rebound... That's so weird..

Oh and a new bnb reset 2 or 1 bars
jp 3 xx db2 dash b2 dash 4 xx EX db1 dash 4 xx df4 xx df4 41%... usually I can only get that damage with 3 bars since her nerf...
or
jp 3 xx db2 dash b2 dash 4 xx EX db1 dash 4 xx EX df1 --> reset

And also, it seems that you can't use the same ex boomerang twice in a combo... However, if the combo is initiated by the return of the boomerang, then you are allowed to use the same ex boomerang that you started the combo with, a second time in the combo
for instance, I've tried several times and on the second combo/reset, whenever I try DB1 ex a second time to whiff and reset, it either doesn't come out, or it is standard boomerang that doesn't return...

And just for funsies, my go to X-Ray combo...

midscreen
jp 3 xx db2 dash b2 dash 34 xx XRAY about 51% I THINK... (timing is tight)

corner is the same but with out the dash inputs and adding a njp after the db2

also, an XRAY combo off of u3 (that actually has awesome combo potential in the corner...)

jp u3 b32 xx XRAY or you can replace the b32 with 34... but like the other combo, timing is tight

EDIT: The low boomerang does guarantee off of f212... but it doesn't in my bnb reset... strange...
EDIT: You can throw in a 12 before the 34 in the
jp 3 xx db2 dash b2 dash 34 xx XRAY about 51% combo so that the timing is easier to land, but the damage is scaled to 47% (w/o jp).. with jp and 12 it is 50%

jp 3 xx db2 dash b2 dash 12 dash 34 xx XRAY 50%

EDIT: In any bnb combo (in the corner), after the njp b2, if you use 4 ex db1, the first throw will whiff, but the rebound guarantees a throw on high block if you use it immediately I believe...

Last edited: