Future of MK

Holy shit you guys are negative lmao. Why do you guys even bother logging into a Mortal Kombat forum if you haven't liked MK for the better part of a decade?

Holy shit you guys are negative lmao. Why do you guys even bother logging into a Mortal Kombat forum if you haven't liked MK for the better part of a decade?
It is nice place to talk shit. I know a lot of people here too. Basically this place feels like a nice pub. Just cause MK is creatively bankrupt and has become into a empty soulless corporate cash grab, doesn't mean we can't hang out and talk shit about it. Every single person that is talking shit right now, was a huge fan of MK in the past.
I mean I remember, when I registered in here during MK9 days. The hype train I was riding before MKX launch. Guessing characters by their shoes was so much fun.
I would say, pre-launch MKX days were the most fun for me here. I was hopeful and happy. Then 6 months of coping, then the death of a fanboy me, then nihilistic view during MK11 announcement and then full on disgust. I have a full fucking arc here. Just like many others.
Not to mention. I didn't do this shit to myself nor TRMK did. NRS did. So why should I stop hanging out in the place I like, just cause the game I loved, turned into a pile of shit?

On a side note. Game will be 70 bucks.

A: The Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

That's a bold fucking strategy NRS/WB. Especially when SF6 is charging 60, with its amount of content.

Because it's sad when the same shit gets repeated, and instead of seeing some of the other stuff beyond the MK3 era, it gets shoved to the side.
Some of us also want to fucking see MK evolve BEYOND just MK1 through UMK3.
We get it that you love characters like Baraka, Reptile and Sektor, and while they're fine others of us would also like to see 3D era / MKX comic characters / MKX game cameo characters like Reiko, Havik, Daegon, Li Mei and Sareena also fleshed out into the current generation of games.
People like me who actually gave a shit for the stuff that the 3D era fleshed out in the lore for the characters we know and love are apparently in the minority, though. As long as it's served up in a shiny enough platter, people will eat up any shit that NRS throws their way.
Well, I'm sick and tired of being fucking complacent with the same repeated MK9 (reboot), MK11 (old timeline folding over the new timeline) and now reboot again bullshit.
It is nice place to talk shit. I know a lot of people here too. Basically this place feels like a nice pub. Just cause MK is creatively bankrupt and has become into a empty soulless corporate cash grab, doesn't mean we can't hang out and talk shit about it. Every single person that is talking shit right now, was a huge fan of MK in the past.
I mean I remember, when I registered in here during MK9 days. The hype train I was riding before MKX launch. Guessing characters by their shoes was so much fun.
I would say, pre-launch MKX days were the most fun for me here. I was hopeful and happy. Then 6 months of coping, then the death of a fanboy me, then nihilistic view during MK11 announcement and then full on disgust. I have a full fucking arc here. Just like many others.
Not to mention. I didn't do this shit to myself nor TRMK did. NRS did. So why should I stop hanging out in the place I like, just cause the game I loved, turned into a pile of shit?
This too.
I was also a blind fan once who would buy day-1 MK games up until MK11, without question.
As of MK11 though, the franchise has sadly become a perfect example of the Eric Andre shooting Hannibal Burress meme, with NRS / Dominic Cianciolo being Eric Andre in the meme and the dead Hannibal being the MK franchise.
The follow up slide to that would be Eric Andre representing the people asking the stupid question of "Why are you disheartened with the franchise?"
Welp, I guess I'm just not the type of person who likes being taken advantage of.
@Misucra pretty much summed it up.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Having Shang Tsung was DLC again is dumb, but people are okay when KOF and SF do repeat DLC. I just hope he is not the main boss of the game.
I wasn't fine with either series having repeat DLC, just like I also wasn't fine with Rain being DLC for 2 times within the last 3 games and like how I'm not fine with Shang Tsung also being resold within the very next game.

Last edited:
I like the 3d era characters too, but I'm not stupid enough to think they deserve roster slots over sure-fire favorites. People *might* like Li Mei, but they know that people already love Reptile. Thats just smart on every level. Thats why 3d characters get 2-3 spots every game. They were failed characters lol, they have to reintroduce them slowly.

Like you yourself mention how ravenous MK fans are for classic characters. Why would NRS alienate their biggest fanbase by leaving the most popular characters out for ones that only get asked for on twitter replies.

I like the 3d era characters too, but I'm not stupid enough to think they deserve roster slots over sure-fire favorites. People *might* like Li Mei, but they know that people already love Reptile. Thats just smart on every level. Thats why 3d characters get 2-3 spots every game. They were failed characters lol, they have to reintroduce them slowly.
I'm not implying that they take over the whole roster, but for goodness sake......a good 7 or 8 on the main roster would be a great start.
Mix a few others in with klassics and guests via DLC. Fine.
MKX gave us 5 of them (6 if you're counting Tremor) once the DLC was done, so what's 1 or 2 more on the main roster?

NRS apparently doesn't give enough of a shit to properly develop characters like Kotal Fuck-face who becomes disabled and killed in MK11 / Aftermath, D'Vorah has sadly become a shadow of the cool character we had in MKX, Erron Black has become stagnant, people really hated Jacqui in MK11 (even though I thought her Shotgun variation was awesome) and they think she's stale..... and then NRS has 0 progression in either lore or gameplay for awesomely designed characters like Ferra / Torr and Takeda (another awesome comic book character).
So, if they're not going to bother to make those characters better or improve on them, then fucking hell, at least revamp some of the 3D era ones that have been missing for the last 17 years.

Like you yourself mention how ravenous MK fans are for classic characters. Why would NRS alienate their biggest fanbase by leaving the most popular characters out for ones that only get asked for on twitter replies.

Because having a few out would free up some main roster space and, again, I'm not suggesting that the 3D era take over the whole roster.
14 klassic, 8 from the 3D era and 3 new would be a pretty fair compromise, imo.
Also, if fans are that ravenous for certain klassic characters, then they could also gauge which ones people have been wanting most and add them as DLC, no? That seemed to work fine for MK11 with them adding in Rain and Mileena late into the DLC cycle after much bitching, moaning and complaining.......and MK11 still sold tons of copies with a total of 15 million copies to date. Their highest selling game.
Plus, apparently people were fine with Reptile skipping out a game if it means that MK11 sold 15 million copies (their highest ever in sales) without either him, Ermac, Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The real shit-fit was with Mileena missing and that's been covered in the most recent trailer.
Some of the others CAN be swapped out.
Nightwolf, Sheeva, Sindel, Noob, Kabal, Jade and I'd even say Kano could sit out 1 if you brought in (for example) Reptile, Smoke, the 2 cyborgs (as klassic examples) and 4 or 5 others from the 3D era. That's just an example.

I wouldn't have such an issue with klassics being sold as DLC in MK games if the ratio was a bit better with characters from the other eras, too.
We went from 5 in MKX to just 2 in the game after in MK11.
Are you also seriously gonna tell me that Tremor, Tanya, Quan Chi and Kenshi were failed characters in MKX? Really?
An MK11 total roster of 37 characters with 5 of them guests, 2 of them from the 3D era, 8 of them from MKX / 11 and the remaining 22 of them being klassic / MK9. That's a bit lopsided.
I don't think it's asking for too much to have a more fair roster with characters from other eras as well.

Last edited:
but they know that people already love Reptile.

The same Reptile who got obliterated in both movies, humiliated in the comics, and barely has any presence in the story mode, other than a punching bag..... not to mention, competitively, he's pretty mediocre in both NRS games he made appearance..........

THAT Reptile? Oh my! Colour me H Y P E D

I still don't get this logic.

"Failed characters. People want that and that"
People don't know shit what they want. That's the point. "Ravenous fans" Blergh. Ravenous my ass.

It has nothing to do with fans or safety. NRS simply has no idea how to make a good game, especially if they have to depend on classic characters.

They could make entire game just 3D Era roster and sell fuck ton of copies.
Sure people would bitch first, about how they want their classic characters. But if the game is a banger, if you innovate, add fun features, and generally make the game good, then people will eat it up.
In the end of the day, people buy games or other stuff, not for specific elements, but EXPERIENCE.

You can have the tastiest Cheeseburger in your joint, but if your place is dirty and sucks to be at, then people won't even bother tasting anything. On other hand your food can be average, but if place is fun to hang out with friends and you have a good time, you will buy stuff just to support the place. It is that fookin simple. That's how it always worked.

If you know what you're doing you can make ANYTHING work.

NRS just sucks at making MK games. Plain and simple. They have no idea what and how to do it. Hence why they keep rehashing same shit. Hence why the second reboot. Hence why they will have DRAGON CRYSTALS which is a currency BOUGHT BY MONEY in 70 DOLLAR GAME. Entire franchise is hanging on Brand recognition now.
And if they fuck this up... That's it. No brand is too big too fail. With so many other fighting games bringing in cool stuff, they can't fuck up now. Especially for WB. Those guys are desperate for a win. And LIVE SERVICE model for sure ain't a way to do it. But we will see during gameplay showcase.

Last edited:
Obviously we cannot tell if the game is good or bad by just one CGI trailer that barely tells us anything....

However, there's a thing called "track record"... And the details that we do have, do not paint exactly a stellar picture of the game....

Seriously.... Just by reading the price tag "$70", and then the words "Dragon Crystals"..... You get hyped for paying an expensive price tag for a Shit as a Service game?... Maybe the issue isn't about the "complainers who hate MK", maybe the issue is about the gullible people who are far too easy to please?....

To play devil's advocate (or Reptile's advocate), I DO expect him to be playable in this one, but he's still a prime example of a character that can sit out to make room for other characters. If it meant that Reptile sat out of MK11 so that Fujin could make it in them I'm all for it.
Save for maaaaaaybe 10 characters (or 11 with Mileena) the rest can be swapped in or out from game to game and MK11 proved that.
No Reptile, Smoke, Ermac, Cryax or Sektor? No problem.

Same things is applicable to this new game.
That could very well be Bi-Han and Scorpion since it looks like Scorpion is wearing the Lin Kuei insignia.
So, if Scorpion never kills him and Bi-Han in this game is Sub-Zero, then that means no need for Noob Saibot, which also means saving 1 more roster space for another potential character.
Would people bitch and moan if Sheeva, Sindel and Nightwolf skipped a game?
Maybe a few but not as many.
Just made 3 more roster spaces available.

Who will be the maim villain?

It would be beyond retarded if Liu would allow Shinnok or Shao Kahn to gain dangerous position so there's is void to fill for characters like who was not involved in previous timeline (at least not in games) - Onaga, Daegon or Havik.

To play devil's advocate (or Reptile's advocate), I DO expect him to be playable in this one, but he's still a prime example of a character that can sit out to make room for other characters. If it meant that Reptile sat out of MK11 so that Fujin could make it in them I'm all for it.
Pretty much. My main in MK9 is Reptile, followed by Kano/Ermac. Reptile is a completely unique character in the game.... The only character who cannot block dash, which is the core movement mechanic, and overall the entire movement is completely different than every single character. Even his sweep is completely different. Unfortunately, because NRS can never balance a video game even if their lives depended on it, he's pretty weak compared to Broken Tier, and mediocre compared to Mid tier.

In MKX he's not that unique anymore, which means in MK11 Part 2, he's pretty much going to play like the rest. So personally, I seriously wouldn't give a damn if he sits out or not. Especially after seeing how he got treated in the movies, comics, and well, the story mode....

To spread some positivity about Derptile, here's some good ol' MK9 online gameplay:

If NRS stops treating him like a joke, and once again makes him unique... That would be interesting. Chances of that happening is pretty much 0.

Yeah considering that we saw no gameplay footage yet.

Yeah. We got couple of CGI teasers and now a CGI trailer. No gameplay.

SF6. CGI teaser and announcement trailer that showed gameplay and new features.

Tekken 8. Reveal trailer, was literally gameplay with no HUD on.

So these two games revealed gameplay pretty much immediately and know what people want to see.
MK12 on other hand. 3 CGI videos only. They revealed that the game will have Dragon Crystals as a new game currency. Also revealed the prices for all editions. Standard price 70 bucks. Premium Edition for the price of 110USD will even give you a pack of 1,250 Dragon Crystals. Great. Clear priorities here. I still have no idea what shop currency SF6 will have. And we already have a playable demo.

The most prominent feature? Kameo Fighters. Anything else? If there was a konquest mode, you would think they would drop some hints about it.
Any mentions of crossplay? Hello?... anybody?... woohoo?
Oh PC version will be developed by QLOC again. Poor sods will once again, will have to go through NRS "CusToM eNgInE". What was the bullshit NRS said during Injustice 2? Oh right...

Allow me to quote the man himself. Paulo Garcia.

"The people that did the XL version of Mortal Kombat X, where it was dramatically improved, they're doing [Mortal Kombat 11] also, and because they've been working with our code engine for the past three years, they've actually become a lot faster.

[With Injustice] we would give them like essentially like big dumps of what engine was and then they would port things to catch up, where now we're a lot more integrated and they're working with our engineers back and forth like on a day by day basis. The patches for Injustice 2 started coming quicker and quicker until they were able to get the patches out almost right after ours [on console]."

Ahahaha... right. Hey guys who bought MK11 on PC. How did it feel to wait WEEKS for Day 1 patch? Felt great, right? Buying the game full price, only to be treated like an afterthought. Getting late updates CONSTANTLY, ONCE AGAIN. No crossplay, no proper support and yet expected to pay full sum.
Oh and everyone with two brain cells knows, that MK1 will be using Denuvo.

Imagine offering a game on a platform and treating people there like shit. Classy.
Then people wanted fixes for the game that affected everyone? Like Sheeva stomp? How long did it take for them to fix it? What's that? A full fucking year? And then NRS ragequit, by cutting support almost immediately after? Nice. Nice.
I can keep going all day. Point is. "BuT yOU HaVeN'T SeEN GaMEpLAy" means nothing now. You have no idea, how astronomically high the odds are, for me being right and this game being an empty soulless cashgrab with only one prominent feature to show for it insane price. NRS has a track record so dirty, that at this point I am more worried about people who still keep going "But... but... maybe the next one will be good?".

Literally a definition of insanity. Doing exact same shit and expecting a different result.
After fiasco with MKX port and shitty ass treatment. After they got the most idiotic QA (who got promoted last year to Lead QA) and one of the guys responsible for MK11 idiotic gameplay decisions (remember 16bit being smug about removing sub zero's ice clone?) WHO IS STILL PART OF NRS. After Injustice 2 crappy ass port, that came 3 months later after the game's initial launch, with technical issues and performance hiccups caused by Denuvo/porting issues and also broken in-game gear system. And then, MK11 with its soul crushingly boring and lazy gameplay. With 5 different currencies and butchery of what remained of the lore. After all of that... they got REWARDED with 15 millions copies.
Nobody was fired. Nothing was changed in management. Everyone is still the same and their mentality was rewarded. Leading to one and inevitable conclusion. They WILL double down on this shit.
I have years of history here, that allows me to skip the "But, but, but, you haven't seen the gameplay" part.
Can I still be wrong? Sure. Can MK12 bring in the content and the lore that will blow everyone away? Sure. But the odds of that happening, are so small, that I can easily unload a fortune betting against the house. Cause this motherfucking house is corrupt like hell.

You guys can say all you want, that I am negative, but I am actually doing people a favor, by advising you to lower your expectations. Getting excited over this... is just asking for pain.

But once again. We will see if I won or lost my bet, during gameplay showcase. If they prove me wrong. If they add bunch of mini games, have battle damage, A PROPER character customization, make sure that gameplay is fun and fast, don't have more than 2 currencies (Gold Koins and Dragon Crystals), have a PROPER Krypt and they will reveal an actually functioning Crossplay then I will buy the most expensive copy of MK1. Hell I will get one for Xenon, so I don't suffer by myself.

After they got the most idiotic QA (who got promoted last year to Lead QA) and one of the guys responsible for MK11 idiotic gameplay decisions (remember 16bit being smug about removing sub zero's ice clone?) WHO IS STILL PART OF NRS.

Speaking of 16bit, and since Reptile was brought up.... I remember him yelling that MK9 Reptile was a "simple, easy" character.... While his main was Kitana, probably one of the easiest characters in the game, with crazy zoning, ridiculous AA, jail free moves, broken normals and unbreakable damage... Doesn't look good, does it?

Also Kitana absolutely MURDERS Sub-Zero in MK9. It's like a 8-2 matchup. But yea, gotta remove that iceclone 🤣

Then people wanted fixes for the game that affected everyone? Like Sheeva stomp? How long did it take for them to fix it? What's that? A full fucking year? And then NRS ragequit, by cutting support almost immediately after? Nice. Nice.

Also don't forget that NRS went all mad after a competitive player had "WhyDidNRSDoThis"....

Hell I will get one for Xenon, so I don't suffer by myself.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Pretty much. My main in MK9 is Reptile, followed by Kano/Ermac. Reptile is a completely unique character in the game.... The only character who cannot block dash, which is the core movement mechanic, and overall the entire movement is completely different than every single character. Even his sweep is completely different. Unfortunately, because NRS can never balance a video game even if their lives depended on it, he's pretty weak compared to Broken Tier, and mediocre compared to Mid tier.

In MKX he's not that unique anymore, which means in MK11 Part 2, he's pretty much going to play like the rest. So personally, I seriously wouldn't give a damn if he sits out or not. Especially after seeing how he got treated in the movies, comics, and well, the story mode....

To spread some positivity about Derptile, here's some good ol' MK9 online gameplay:

If NRS stops treating him like a joke, and once again makes him unique... That would be interesting. Chances of that happening is pretty much 0.
Yeah, and that would be great if they improve upon him.
I don't mind him and Smoke coming back, though, if (for example) Rain and Noob Saibot sat out or were kameos.
Fine. They were just in the last game so they can be kameos for this game.
I don't want anyone on this thread misconstruing my words as suddenly "Commander hates klassic characters."
That's not what I'm getting at, so stop with that bullshit narrative.
I'm fine with klassic characters, but would ALSO like to see a balance with more post-MK3 characters.
Don't know if Ed is trolling or not but it seems like he let it slip that 1 of the kameos was
Spoiler:
Erron Black.

I'd be fine with that too.
Some of these MK11 characters being kameos would be fine with me because they were JUST playable in the last game.

So these two games revealed gameplay pretty much immediately and know what people want to see.
MK12 on other hand. 3 CGI videos only. They revealed that the game will have Dragon Crystals as a new game currency. Also revealed the prices for all editions. Standard price 70 bucks. Premium Edition for the price of 110USD will even give you a pack of 1,250 Dragon Crystals. Great. Clear priorities here. I still have no idea what shop currency SF6 will have. And we already have a playable demo.

The most prominent feature? Kameo Fighters. Anything else? If there was a konquest mode, you would think they would drop some hints about it.
Any mentions of crossplay? Hello?... anybody?... woohoo?
Oh PC version will be developed by QLOC again. Poor sods will once again, will have to go through NRS "CusToM eNgInE". What was the bullshit NRS said during Injustice 2? Oh right...

Allow me to quote the man himself. Paulo Garcia.

"The people that did the XL version of Mortal Kombat X, where it was dramatically improved, they're doing [Mortal Kombat 11] also, and because they've been working with our code engine for the past three years, they've actually become a lot faster.

[With Injustice] we would give them like essentially like big dumps of what engine was and then they would port things to catch up, where now we're a lot more integrated and they're working with our engineers back and forth like on a day by day basis. The patches for Injustice 2 started coming quicker and quicker until they were able to get the patches out almost right after ours [on console]."

Ahahaha... right. Hey guys who bought MK11 on PC. How did it feel to wait WEEKS for Day 1 patch? Felt great, right? Buying the game full price, only to be treated like an afterthought. Getting late updates CONSTANTLY, ONCE AGAIN. No crossplay, no proper support and yet expected to pay full sum.
Oh and everyone with two brain cells knows, that MK1 will be using Denuvo.

Imagine offering a game on a platform and treating people there like shit. Classy.
I can keep going all day. Point is. "BuT yOU HaVeN'T SeEN GaMEpLAy" means nothing now. You have no idea, how astronomically high the odds are, for me being right and this game being an empty soulless cashgrab with only one prominent feature to show for it insane price. NRS has a track record so dirty, that at this point I am more worried about people who still keep going "But... but... maybe the next one will be good?".

Literally a definition of insanity. Doing exact same shit and expecting a different result.
After fiasco with MKX port and shitty ass treatment. After they got the most idiotic QA (who got promoted last year to Lead QA) and one of the guys responsible for MK11 idiotic gameplay decisions (remember 16bit being smug about removing sub zero's ice clone?) WHO IS STILL PART OF NRS. After Injustice 2 crappy ass port, that came 3 months later after the game's initial launch, with technical issues and performance hiccups caused by Denuvo/porting issues and also broken in-game gear system. And then, MK11 with its soul crushingly boring and lazy gameplay. With 5 different currencies and butchery of what remained of the lore. After all of that... they got REWARDED with 15 millions copies.
Nobody was fired. Nothing was changed in management. Everyone is still the same and their mentality was rewarded. Leading to one and inevitable conclusion. They WILL double down on this shit.
I have years of history here, that allows me to skip the "But, but, but, you haven't seen the gameplay" part.
Can I still be wrong? Sure. Can MK12 bring in the content and the lore that will blow everyone away? Sure. But the odds of that happening, are so small, that I can easily unload a fortune betting against the house. Cause this motherfucking house is corrupt like hell.

You guys can say all you want, that I am negative, but I am actually doing people a favor, by advising you to lower your expectations. Getting excited over this... is just asking for pain.

But once again. We will see if I won or lost my bet, during gameplay showcase. If they prove me wrong. If they add bunch of mini games, have battle damage, A PROPER character customization, make sure that gameplay is fun and fast, don't have more than 2 currencies (Gold Koins and Dragon Crystals), have a PROPER Krypt and they will reveal an actually functioning Crossplay then I will buy the most expensive copy of MK1. Hell I will get one for Xenon, so I don't suffer by myself.
This, entirely. Exactly!
I didn't wake up one day and just go "this shit is disappointing" and decide to be "negative" (since that's the new spin on your opinion doesn't match mine, so now I'll label you as negative). We DO have legit concerns for this next installment after what MK11 ended up being.
It took a while for me to get to this stage of "why did NRS / Dominic let MK become what it has."

Yeah, and that would be great if they improve upon him.
Yeah.... Here you have a unique ninja, been there since MK1, and all you do with that is just endless humiliation.

Quite a parallel with another loser, Kotal Kuck... and then NRS teams them up 🤣 Losers Supreme.

Come to think of it, what is Reptile's story at this point?.... Some reptillian ninja who lost his race, gets rekt in his own ending, gets possessed and gets rekt, game gets a reboot so he can get rekt a countless more times.... Oh! He "called out" Mileena once. Without dying in the process. What a badass! In MK11 he skips the game so may-..... Oh no, he's in the Krypt, and you annihilate him by hitting his face once with a hammer....

30 years of Mortal Kombat right here. In 1 paragraph. Cue REPTILE THEME; I'm SO HYPE!!! 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

The same Reptile who got obliterated in both movies, humiliated in the comics, and barely has any presence in the story mode, other than a punching bag..... not to mention, competitively, he's pretty mediocre in both NRS games he made appearance..........

THAT Reptile? Oh my! Colour me H Y P E D
Bruh you act like this is new. Reptile has been a jobber since MK2, I don't care how much he gets fucked over in the story, as long as I can fuck people up with him in matches. MKX Reptile is my absolute favorite version of the character, and he had like 1 relevant line in story mode. I don't ever think about those 7 seconds of story tho, I think about the hundreds of matches I had with his dope ass moveset, his fun combos and flexible gameplay.

You say he isn't unique in X, but I think he's the absolute best example of the Variation system working. He has a core universal moveset, and his variations change him in slight ways

Your bias is really gross.

Sf6 had a CGI teaser on Feb 2nd. They revealed gameplay in June
Tekken 8 had a 2 second teaser trailer in August and then a CGI trailer one month later (and that trailer def wasn't "Gameplay with the hud off" lmao. It was dolled up like a mf)

MK did their teaser 2 weeks ago. Like give them time before you let your hate take over your head.

I predict that everyone from the original MK1 will return on the main roster including Reptile and Goro. NRS will milk off of the 30th anniversary nostalgia.

Did you guys see that the dlc leaked on amazon?

Spoiler:
Characters are Quan Chi, Ermac and Takeda
guests are Omni Man (Invincible), Homelander (The Boys) and Peacemaker (Suicide Squad)

Kameos are Tremor, Mavado, Khameleon, Johnny Cage (huh?) and Ferra