Fatalities are getting worse by the minute

Adjun

So has anyone else noticed that the fatalities that are being shown are getting more and more lame? I hope it is not a trend. The first ones NRS showed had some build up and climax, now they just seem to consist of "oh look, there goes the head". Almost like NRS couldn't come up with new ideas when they are restricted to using the cut-point system for ALL of their fatalities. I was hoping for some really gruesome shit by now, but it looks like we'll just be seeing the same kill done differently by each character. What are your guys' thoughts?

I agree. Almost all of them are generic decapitation or limb removal. But of course people are going to say "oh its fine because we haven't seem all of them yet derpederpderp" but the ones we have seen have been lame for the most part. What happened to the cool fatalities like Smoke's bomb swallow, Sektor's compactor, Shang Tsung's bed of nails, Nightwolf's heavenly light, etc?

unfortunately, the reality of it is that this "cut system" dominated their thought process when they planned the fatalities initially. I remember at EGS hector said that they guided their fatalities based on that cut system, so that obviously leads to less-unique fatalities

maybe their biggest fan base is in Australia and since their rating system doesn't want anything that hardcore, they are dialing the gore down so that they can actually sell there? just a thought but probably not plausible.

The last two I've seen were Sonya's leg split, which looked way better than it did in MK4 and kano's heart rip, which was...fantastic!
I also liked the fatalities from demo montage trailer, especially stage fatalities.
My final verdict is definately positive even though I do see how some fatalities are lame.

Well, seeing how most of the fatalities we've seen are every kombatant's 1st fatalities, as well as the fact that everybody seems to have at least one or two hidden fatalities, I don't think it'll be boring. I do agree with you about the whole "Oh look, I'm going to take your head off" being done in almost everyone's first fatality.

I agree, the more and more fatalities I see the less I am impressed. I think NRS started to high on the fatality ladder, yes they wanted to start of with a bang with the fatalities since everyone was going to talk about them after MKvsDCU, but at the same time I think almost all of us would have lived with a fatality that was a generic head smash, slicing bodies. Because they started at such a peak in presentation of the fatality there isn't really no where else to go when you hit the peak. At the same time, I remember an interview were they would have new cut-points at the jaw and I have yet to see evidence of that.
Despite the above, I want to believe the 'glass is half full' because there are still so many characters that have yet to reveal fatalities for and each character having multiple fatalties so I hope the good will eventually outweigh the bad

I'm reserving judgment until I play the full game. However I think people are expecting way too much. Similar fatalities have always been a part of Mortal Kombat. How many ways can you kill a person even with todays tech anyway? Since when did a decapitation become boring for example? Lets wait and see before we worry.

Besides at least we've long since passed the point where you get 18 legs and 3 skulls in a fatality and opponents don't have holes in them after they've had stuff ripped out. In this version the end results of fatalities look exactly how they should, that's the main thing in my eyes.

Nightwolf's Beam Fatality was cool?

You're right, you're gonna get people saying that we haven't seen them all yet. This is the most obvious point for NRS to stop spoiling everything, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to stop showing unseen fatalities. Fatalities are probably the single biggest selling point of MK, so they're gonna hold be a little, and considering how much better the stuff we've already seen is (as compared to the last several games), I think it's safe to say they've got a lot up their sleeves.

i honestly just think sonya's has been the weakest, most uninspired one so far. i dont think they should depend on the whole "hey, it's a remake of an old fatality in beter graphics, thats cool right?". also, we cant keep saying "theyre better than MK vs DC!!" obviously they will be, that game was T-rated! That doesnt give NRS a voucher to make predictable and hackneyed fatalities.

Albeit, some of them have been pretty awesome, but some of them have been generic so it's so-so

I was really disappointed when I saw Raiden's fatality in his vignette. Seems like he'll just shock their arms off and stuff....thrilling.

And I just saw Sonya's....and that's about as dull as it gets.

I guess this all comes from the limited capabilities of the 2D games. They had to be creative because of the lack of graphical advances back then. Plus, they used sprites, so it was easier to make fatalities involving fire and acid and things like that. But that's no excuse to slack off with what they have today. This game had the most potential of any game with its graphics and game engines, but it seems like all that has been overlooked. Maybe the team just got rushed again because they devoted most of their time to the story and the Challenge Tower. But again, that's no excuse because they were supposed to be going 100% this time, with the freedom WB has given them.

Hopefully the rest of the fatalities will be better. That's all we can hope for.

Nightwolf's Beam Fatality was cool?

You're right, you're gonna get people saying that we haven't seen them all yet. This is the most obvious point for NRS to stop spoiling everything, and one of the easiest ways to do that is to stop showing unseen fatalities. Fatalities are probably the single biggest selling point of MK, so they're gonna hold be a little, and considering how much better the stuff we've already seen is (as compared to the last several games), I think it's safe to say they've got a lot up their sleeves.
I think it was cool, at least it wasn't generic. But even your favorite fatality of all time could possibly be my least favorite, opinions ;)

I think MKII had some of the best fatalities in the series, and even those used a generic decapitation system, with a few unique ones on the side. I'm sure this MK will be no different, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're never going to please everyone, but I think these fatalities are better than anything we've seen in the past several games. I especially love Kano's new heart rip.

The only fatalities I don't like are Scorpion's second one and Sonya's revealed one. All the others are great IMO.

Well we have had impalement, dismemberment of limbs, decapitation, bisection horizontily and vertically, sheeva has a fatality where she rips off peoples skin, scorpions classic fatality has him doing toasty = burning, reptiles includes ripping out a stomach and kabals includes ripping out intestines, kano the heart, (we haven't seen alot of peoples so i expect they are saving the best ones for when the game comes out) i personally am a bit dissapointed it's slice points but at least there is tons more slices than previously when it was just arm leg head and torso, i love the fatalities we've seen and can't wait to see all 50+ of them in the full game

don't really care myself. I'm more interested in the game play and combo's myself. I really don't think there's too much more they can do fatality wise before it's all been done or they get so violent that it pushes it over to an AO rating.

I was really disappointed when I saw Raiden's fatality in his vignette. Seems like he'll just shock their arms off and stuff....thrilling.

From what I gather, he decapitates their limbs with his electricity, then spikes their torso head first into the ground, smashing their head. I think it's one of the best ones he's had in a long time.

From what I gather, he decapitates their limbs with his electricity, then spikes their torso head first into the ground, smashing their head. I think it's one of the best ones he's had in a long time.

I'd like it better if it had disintegration.

Yeah in some ways I'm disappointed but I think they have barely scratched the surface here. It's quite possible that the best are yet to come both Smoke and Noob's sound awesome so I still hold on to a lot of hope.