Creator of Mortal Kombat: Legacy to Develop MK Movie

Bro!!!!!! How are things man!?!? Havent seen you around these parts in ages!!!! Welcome back =) Anyways, what I wanted to add to the topic, is I just saw some trailer for a movie on youtube called Adam Chaplin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq2F2d_010&feature=channel_video_title

This is the kind of blood and gore/carnage I would want to see in this MK movie ;)

Good to see you again as well Flaviu, hope all is well with school and such!

And damn, thats some gory shit bro, I doubt they're gonna go that far with it. I am hoping for a Ninja Assassin level of Blood and Gore, maybe a little bit more, but that much I believe will sell to the General Audience.

@taj: the same guy that did the Web series is doing the movie from what I understand...

If anything I think he loves their rivalry the most. this isn't the full episode it's just them fighting.

and if you haven't already seen these, pay no mind to the quality as the web series was extremely low budget.

@taj: the same guy that did the Web series is doing the movie from what I understand...

If anything I think he loves their rivalry the most. this isn't the full episode it's just them fighting.

and if you haven't already seen these, pay no mind to the quality as the web series was extremely low budget.

The same director is directing, but it's not the same WRITERS(s) from the Legacy series.
The person writing the script for the NEW movie is the same guy who wrote the "Rebirth" film pitch, which worries the hell out of me.

I WISH it was the same writers from the Legacy series, but it's not. :-(

The same director is directing, but it's not the same WRITERS(s) from the Legacy series.
The person writing the script for the NEW movie is the same guy who wrote the "Rebirth" film pitch, which worries the hell out of me.

I WISH it was the same writers from the Legacy series, but it's not. :-(

Then i suppose your the same as me and hate the idea of way too realistic MK.
It's not mortal kombat w/o the fantasy elements.

If they want to make a rebirth looking MK so bad. they might as well just name it something else like "Underground Death Fights" or something. Because to me it's not MK.

Doing this to MK is like taking a Halo movie and making master chief a woman, while fighting zombies on earth calling them the flood, and the aliens(Covenant) are a bunch of people who got their genetic code enhanced.

If you're gonna change it that much just make it an original movie, and avoid the whole paying for the license.

Rebirth and legacy was done by the same writer orien uziel. With such an enormous budget im sure there will be lots of cgi for the characters powers, it wont be "that" realistic.

Legacy was well written and for the budget they had was impressive to say the least. I dug the take they did on Raiden. And as long as they stay true to the characters origins and basic outline of who they are, etc. I couldn't care less what they do. I don't want to see the game storyline rehashed. That's what the games are for. I'd rather see something new and original that respects the characters and original stories but does something different.

A good story is required, but the fights should be right on par, the whole story should revolve about the mortal kombat tournament, enough with lui kang and his brother or sonya and jax, get that out of the way early on the movie and get right on with the ass kicking.

A really good fight help the movie even if the story feels weak at times, a good example would be any of the tony jaas movies, story sucks, fighting scenes are so good you will forget about his damn elephants. I wish they could bring that guy to their team.

It should have fight scenes like Dragon King vs. Shao Kahn or Noob-Smoke vs. the Shaolin monks!

A good story is required, but the fights should be right on par, the whole story should revolve about the mortal kombat tournament, enough with lui kang and his brother or sonya and jax, get that out of the way early on the movie and get right on with the ass kicking.

A really good fight help the movie even if the story feels weak at times, a good example would be any of the tony jaas movies, story sucks, fighting scenes are so good you will forget about his damn elephants. I wish they could bring that guy to their team.

Yeah I think he'd make a great Kung Lao lol.
Him not being able to talk properly could hurt the movie. (In English)

Yeah, thats why I have a little bit of a worry, Legacy stuck mostly to the actual canon story, whereas Rebirth, which was written by the dude who is now writing the new movie, was not canon AT ALL, besides Scorpion finding out about Kuai Liang (that's if that really is Kuai Liang, you never know). I don't care about the realism, like I said before, just please stick to the original story.

I am really sceptical about this new movie and the fact that Kevin Tancharoen will direct it. MK Legacy was good in some points, especially the episodes with Scorpion, the Lin Kuei and Jax-Sonya-Kano-Stryker konflict. But the other episodes (Raiden, Mileena-Kitana, etc) were shit. I want a movie that will be similar like MK9. I don't say it has to be the same story and all fighters should be included, but it has to be in the same way with a similar story. I'm not sure Kevin Tancharoen will do it in that way. I don't like the Rebirth everything-has-to-be-realistic movie.

I am excited and intrigued to see what this director has in store for us, I loved the web series but I don't think R is the way to go. I think grittier is nessecary but no blood and gore (which would be nice), I have faith in Warner Bros. and Kevin, but If this movie bombs (which I will be pissed about) I'm definatley goin to hollywood and turning in my script for my vision of a Mortal Kombat trilogy, it would be done the right way. Mortal Kombat is my all time favorite game & game franchise, I think givin the right script, passionate enough director and good actors Mortal Kombat could be epic, if you go Nolan on us I'm gonna riot.

Now I'm VERY skeptical at the moment about what's going to happen with this film but I hope KT realizes that seeing as how fans have been waiting for both a faithful and good adaption of MK for many years making MK into a freak psycho story would be the worst decision ever...I mean atleast Nolan retained the key familiar elements of the Batman mythos in the franchise and allowed the characters to be altogether the same.

making MK into a freak psycho story would be the worst decision ever...I mean atleast Nolan retained the key familiar elements of the Batman mythos in the franchise and allowed the characters to be altogether the same.

Exactly my point.
I sure as hell hope that he doesn't turn this into THAT type of movie, and just sticks with the MK mythos.

There's nothing wrong with having MK take place in a real world setting, but if you're going to make an MK movie, it should also have the fantasy / magical element to it as well.
I know that I sound like a broken record but, a Lord Of The Rings type of setting would be ideal, such that it takes place in a real-world setting but also has lots of fiction elements to it.

Personally, I think the MK story is horrible, so I'm fine with this idea. Yeah, it's gonna veer way off of the current game's storyline, but I don't play fighting games for their story, and MK's story is so far-fetched that it can only get better as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I think the MK story is horrible, so I'm fine with this idea. Yeah, it's gonna veer way off of the current game's storyline, but I don't play fighting games for their story, and MK's story is so far-fetched that it can only get better as far as I'm concerned.

Hmmmmm.....So you think that a story about characters fighting to defend their realm is silly but would rather see an equally "nonsensical" story where psychos can attach blades to their ****ing wrist and still have use of their arms as well as being a super black belt, Cops that will send an actor off to die against said psycho as opposed to doing it themselves or hiring a professional in that area to do it, or where eyeless yakuzas can use ninja powers to escape from prison?..........Whatever

How is it any further fetched than a scientist who goes mad and turns green, or a guy that gets bit by a radioactive spider and has super-powers???
Yet, The Hulk and Spiderman got film adaptations set in the "Real world."

The idea of far-fetched stories being turned into film is what Hollywood thrives on.
I mean, come on vehicles that transform into robots, which come from a weird alien planet.
Transformers is about the most far-fetched story of them all.

Saying that they shouldn't do an MK movie based on the original MK storyline, due to it being "far-fetched," is a bit ridiculous, especially considering in how Hollywood SPECIALIZES in "far-fetched."

All of those movies are still based in our universe while the MK story takes similar ideas (shooting fireballs, transforming into animals, and turning invisible are similar to the super powers of Spidey and the Hulk) and goes even further to include other realms. I also think that a more realistic, martial arts story can be conjured without having the whole "other realms" stuff.

All of those movies are still based in our universe while the MK story takes similar ideas (shooting fireballs, transforming into animals, and turning invisible are similar to the super powers of Spidey and the Hulk) and goes even further to include other realms. I also think that a more realistic, martial arts story can be conjured without having the whole "other realms" stuff.

You do know that the first game was on a parallel island between Earth and Outworld located in the Lost Sea right?

So in a first movie the locations can look pretty real but with fantasy characters included. Plus taking out the magic would make it no more than a generic fight film.

Not to mention that one of WB's longest lasting franchises had the "other worlds" premise and it goes by the name of Harry Potter and if you can watch that, Hellboy, The first Chronicles of Narnia film (since the others ruined the books), Thor, or Inception then MK shouldnt seem too "far-fetched.....plain and simple.

Last edited: