Anyone Else Disappointed With the Story Mode?

Tarkatan Trash

It goes deeper than that.
Bi-Han was the original Sub-Zero who became a wraith, and again in MK9 (which really didn't have palette swaps, btw), and they disregard the whole Soulnado and him even existing in present tense MKX, much like Hsu Hao.
I would have accepted a confirmation of his death, but no, we're left in limbo without knowing his fate.
It's a fair comparison to come to to think that maybe they also wrote off Noob Saibot.

Fair point, but that was only at the end of the story in a small cut-scene, and prior to that they barley had much presence in MKX.
Liu and Kitana had about as much to do with the events and outcome of MKX as Motaro had to do with the outcome of MK9.
With that mentality, Shinnok should have been playable in MK9, as he WAS at the end of MK9, technically. No?
You sound a bit biased, though, given that Kitana is your main.

Shinnok was still not popular enough to warrant a roster spot in MK9 (which was meant to showcase the Trilogy era anyway) the way Kitana and Liu Kang have been over the years (if I'm not mistaken, Kitana hasn't missed a game since Deception, and even in games she did miss, she has been included in "upgrades" (UMK3, MK Gold, etc) in EVERY game she has missed since her debut).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

p.W

wall of text inc you've been warned

You can't just ignore the comic, as you're implying, and pretend it doesn't exist.
There are some things in the comic that tie-in to the game's story (like Sub-Zero becoming un-cyber and the feud between Kotal and Mileena).
So, no, you just can't ignore it, if that's what you're implying.

I'm not saying that the two aren't connected. I'm saying that the connections are a result of Kittelsen filling in gaps left by MKX. The story was already completely written before Kittelsen came on board to write the comic.

You said that MKX's roster ignored Reiko and Havik, important characters, in favor of nobodies like Ferra/Torr. But when MKX's story was written, Reiko and Havik were bigger nobodies than Ferra/Torr is now, because Havik literally did not exist, and all Reiko was was an Accords. You can blame NRS for not using more MK4 characters if you wish, but you can't blame them for not being able to predict the future, in which Kittelsen says to himself "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if Reiko was a big deal?"

I'm pretty sure that Sindel, Nightwolf, Smoke, Jade, Stryker and Kabal were also dead, and last time I checked none of those are on the main roster.

Yes, and Goro, Kintaro, Sheeva, Baraka are still alive, and they're not on the main roster either. There are three primary factions in MKX's story mode, and NRS wanted to make sure that each of them was well represented on the roster and in the gameplay. So it comes down to, "Do we put Liu Kang in as playable, or do we put Stryker in as playable?" And you're the only person in the universe who thinks that that decision should be a hard one. OF COURSE Revenant Liu Kang gets precedence. He SHOULD get precedence. He's motherf---ing Liu Kang.

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this, because for you story is the ONLY consideration that matters, whereas for me it is merely the MOST IMPORTANT out of many considerations. I'm happy for fans of Liu Kang and Kung Lao's MK9 gameplay, who now have their character back. I'm happy that NRS was able to boost MKX's sales and reception by putting sales-friendly fan-favorite characters like Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kitana on the roster.

Raiden not going "dark" may not have been such a bad thing.
Why does Raiden need to go "dark?"

It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it's their decision, and Liu Kang and Kung Lao played a pivotal part in helping them dramatize it.

These are not legitimate reasons for Liu, Kitana and Kung Lao being in, and I'll give you some of DA's characters too.
Useless, the lot of them.
In MK9, though, just about every character on the roster had a part in the story that was more than just 2 or 3 lines, save for Reptile who's in because (1) Trilogy roster herp derp and (2) He's iconic.

Reptile, Baraka, Sheeva, Goro, Kintaro... all of these characters were useless. They literally did nothing but fight. MKX Reptile with his two lines of dialogue that actually give him plot importance > all of them. MKX Erron Black >>>>>>>>> all of them.

Since you're using Erron Black's ending as canon (which is not provencanon, yet) for him, then I'm allowed to do the same with Frost.
Frost's true intentions for joining the Lin Kuei were to become Grandmaster, herself.
She used her ice blast to temporarily immobilize Sub-Zero and took the Medallion from him.
She was then consumed by her own freezing ability.

Great. So we already knew that she was a dumb-ass character whose only purpose in the story was to get herself killed because of how dumb she is. You're right, Erron Black is a waste of roster space compared to that. :laugh:

According to Johnny's Deadly Alliance ending, he made a movie that told the tale of how he single-handedly stopped Quan Chi and Shang Tsung.

His ending was not canon. Erron Black's past is probably canon, but the "killing the kids" part obviously isn't, which is why I only referenced the former but not the latter.

Johnny Cage did nothing in DA. He got resurrected, walked up to Shang Tsung's castle and he died. The end.

The reason I'm hating on DA's roster and story so much is that you come in here talking about MKX like it committed some unforgivable crime that no other MK game has ever done, and that's just not true.

MKX's story has many, many flaws, but it's still by far the best in the franchise. MKX's roster is in some ways nonsensical and repetitive, but it's still by far the best in the franchise.

MKX made returning characters like Johnny Cage, Mileena, Kano, Kitana, Sonya, Jax, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shinnok, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao cooler than they've ever been. When did an MK game successfully reinvent that many characters in one go? Never.

MKX has 8 brand new characters, and of those, Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah, Cassie Cage, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Erron Black are already HUGELY popular. How many of MK:DA's brand new characters were HUGELY popular right out of the gate? How many of MK:D's? Every game in the 3D era combined didn't have as much of an impact with its new characters as MKX alone has had. And with your single-minded focus on Liu Kang, Kitana, and Kung Lao, you're failing to give MKX credit for any of that success.

Holding his own against Cassie Cage in the Courtyard counts as story development?

It's not story development, it's bad-ass development. In Frost's first outing, she froze herself nearly to death. In Erron Black's first outing, he held his own against the protagonist of the game, who went on to beat the shit out of Final Form Shinnok.

Oh well, then I guess that Ferra / Torr fighting against Kung Jin also is equivalent to being huge story development as well (which you conveniently ignored, by the way), if we're going with that mentality. :roll:

Lol, why would I ignore it? It's a great scene. It makes Torr seem genuinely threatening, as do his scenes in the Dead Forest when he just throws Takeda around like a rag doll. It has next to zero story development, but it makes the character look cool, and that's not nothing.

I don't have any blinders on, but you sure do love to cherry-pick certain endings and things to fit your argument, when in reality both games had issues with validating some of the characters on BOTH rosters.

But you're the one who came into this thread saying "Unfortunately, it seems like long gone are the days like in the MK:DA thru MK9 games where main roster characters = characters that held the most story importance."

I didn't come into this thread saying "MKX is perfect." If I had, I'd be just as wrong as you are, but I didn't.

The least important characters in MK9, like Reptile, Baraka, and Sheeva, accomplished literally nothing in the story. They did not appear cool or threatening for one second. In fact, Johnny Cage turned them into jokes immediately after beating them in the first chapter. Compared to them, MKX's Reptile (who got a tiny but very important plot role in the flashback, a QTE that makes him look like a boss if you fail the inputs, and some straight-up Reptilian moves in the Dead Woods cinematics), Erron Black (who has tons of dialogue, two characterizing scenes with Kung Jin, a bad ass moment fighting mooks and almost finishing off Rain in chapter 2, and a bad ass moment fighting Cassie in chapter 4), and Ferra/Torr (with their great QTE sequence which makes them boss-like even if you win the inputs, and their domination of Takeda in the Dead Forest) look like masterstrokes of character design. They still suck, of course, but they suck a lot less. Context is everything.

Guyver Spawn

I think the ending for MKX would have been better if it was Raiden, Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda and Kung Jin all defeat Shinnok together then just Cassie in my opinion.

Commander

Shinnok was still not popular enough to warrant a roster spot in MK9 (which was meant to showcase the Trilogy era anyway) the way Kitana and Liu Kang have been over the years (if I'm not mistaken, Kitana hasn't missed a game since Deception, and even in games she did miss, she has been included in "upgrades" (UMK3, MK Gold, etc) in EVERY game she has missed since her debut).

Hence, you're only further proving my point in that Liu, Kitana and Kung Lao are in, despite them not really having that much presence in MKX.
1 ending scene that is a cliff-hanger isn't enough to warrant a character on the main roster, but if Kitana isn't on the main roster, then people like you and OSU16Bit cry foul and complain, and thus it's because of people like you that the same old tired and plot-less characters are on the roster and NRS doesn't progress in new characters as much as it should.

wall of text inc you've been warned

I'm not saying that the two aren't connected. I'm saying that the connections are a result of Kittelsen filling in gaps left by MKX. The story was already completely written before Kittelsen came on board to write the comic.

You said that MKX's roster ignored Reiko and Havik, important characters, in favor of nobodies like Ferra/Torr. But when MKX's story was written, Reiko and Havik were bigger nobodies than Ferra/Torr is now, because Havik literally did not exist, and all Reiko was was an Accords. You can blame NRS for not using more MK4 characters if you wish, but you can't blame them for not being able to predict the future, in which Kittelsen says to himself "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if Reiko was a big deal?"

Your last reply implied to ignoring the comic, which is why I replied like I did.

Do NOT put words in my mouth or twist my words.
I NEVER said that Ferra / Torr was a nobody.
I specifically said that we didn't know enough about them, yet they are on the main roster.
Same goes for Erron Black.
We hardly know anything about him, yet he's on the main roster.

Yes, and Goro, Kintaro, Sheeva, Baraka are still alive, and they're not on the main roster either. There are three primary factions in MKX's story mode, and NRS wanted to make sure that each of them was well represented on the roster and in the gameplay. So it comes down to, "Do we put Liu Kang in as playable, or do we put Stryker in as playable?" And you're the only person in the universe who thinks that that decision should be a hard one. OF COURSE Revenant Liu Kang gets precedence. He SHOULD get precedence. He's motherf---ing Liu Kang.

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this, because for you story is the ONLY consideration that matters, whereas for me it is merely the MOST IMPORTANT out of many considerations. I'm happy for fans of Liu Kang and Kung Lao's MK9 gameplay, who now have their character back. I'm happy that NRS was able to boost MKX's sales and reception by putting sales-friendly fan-favorite characters like Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Kitana on the roster.

I don't expect characters like Sheeva, Goro, Kintaro or Baraka to be on the main roster, but at least we know what the hell happened to Baraka and he got a cameo death.
I wouldn't mind the same for Kintaro, Sheeva and Goro.
How hard would it have been for them to do a quick cameo like they did for Nightwolf for Sheeva, Cyrax, Noob Saibot, Jade, Goro and Kintaro???
I never said to put Stryker in as playable, but there you go again, twisting my words. :roll:
I said that Sindel, Stryker, Nightwolf, Kabal and Smoke could have done the same thing that Liu Kang, Kitana and Kung Lao did in MKX (which was essentially nothing), and the outcome would have been the same.
Yeah, I do see those 3 as wasted roster slots, especially since they didn't come back to life.
1 of those slots which could have gone to an awesome character like Fujin.

You're right tough, we'll never see eye to eye.
Because I actually want to see progression in BOTH the story and the roster, where as you only care about those popular characters taking up roster space, despite it meaning screwing up the lore and the creative writing process.
MK9 had a hell of a story, probably the best story that Midway / NRS has written to date, which actually made people take notice and for once not think of MK as a laughing stock game.
You want to piss all of that away, though, in favor of 3 characters?
Why can't they stay dead for 1 game and have them come back in MK11?
Oh, because people will cry if they're not it.
Got it.

It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it's their decision, and Liu Kang and Kung Lao played a pivotal part in helping them dramatize it.

It doesn't matter to you, but there are those of us out there who don't want to see the MK series going back down the route of becoming another Armageddon.
That's what it will become if everyone is always only demanding that only their favorites be back.
It's what happened in the original timeline.
People demanded that only their favorites return and we got stuck with a half-assed, rush-job that was Armageddon, with 60+ characters, generic Kreate-A-Fatality, 2-legged Motaro and an overall sloppy MK game, in general.
If that's the road that you want MK to go down again, then yeah, I guess that we will never see eye to eye.
Excuse me for wanting characters like Erron Black and Ferra / Torr to be explained better and fleshed out better than just some half-assed cinematic pre-fight intro scenes and a "what if" non-canon ending.

Reptile, Baraka, Sheeva, Goro, Kintaro... all of these characters were useless. They literally did nothing but fight. MKX Reptile with his two lines of dialogue that actually give him plot importance > all of them. MKX Erron Black >>>>>>>>> all of them.

No, it didn't.
Reptile felt as useless to me in MKX as he did in MK9.
The only 1 that didn't feel like THAT much of a lackey to me was Ermac, and even still all he did was follow Kotal around.
Erron Black had 2 or 3 lines in story and that's it.
Such huge potential that NRS had for him and they let it go.
I feel like the comics did a better job of fleshing out Erron double -crossing and helping Kano (which still tells us nothing of his back-story), which speaks volumes about how Vogel failed to properly flesh out the character.
I had SUCH high hopes for awesome character development with Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, but nope.
Much about those 2 are still unknown, sadly. :(

Great. So we already knew that she was a dumb-ass character whose only purpose in the story was to get herself killed because of how dumb she is. You're right, Erron Black is a waste of roster space compared to that. :laugh:

His ending was not canon. Erron Black's past is probably canon, but the "killing the kids" part obviously isn't, which is why I only referenced the former but not the latter.

Johnny Cage did nothing in DA. He got resurrected, walked up to Shang Tsung's castle and he died. The end.

Again, you missed my point.
My point wasn't to point out how awesome Frost was, but rather to show how ridiculous using non-canon endings can be.
Sub-Zero's MKX ending essentially turned him into Daenerys Targaryen from Game Of Thrones.
Do you also think that that is canon?
Also again, I never said that Erron was a wasted roster space, but he sure as hell could have been fleshed out better and his story could use A LOT of improvement.

We don't know if Erron's ending was partially canon or not.
There you go assuming again.
If part of it is a non-canon "what if," then the whole thing is a non-canon "what if."
You can't just cherry-pick which parts you think are canon.
Unless NRS otherwise states it in the next game, ALL individual character endings in a previous MK game are non-canon, for the time being.

Johnny's ending is a perfect example of ridiculous endings, which further proves my point that all individual character endings are glorified "what if" scenarios, until proven otherwise.

The reason I'm hating on DA's roster and story so much is that you come in here talking about MKX like it committed some unforgivable crime that no other MK game has ever done, and that's just not true.

MKX's story has many, many flaws, but it's still by far the best in the franchise. MKX's roster is in some ways nonsensical and repetitive, but it's still by far the best in the franchise.

MKX made returning characters like Johnny Cage, Mileena, Kano, Kitana, Sonya, Jax, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shinnok, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao cooler than they've ever been. When did an MK game successfully reinvent that many characters in one go? Never.

MKX has 8 brand new characters, and of those, Kotal Kahn, D'Vorah, Cassie Cage, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Erron Black are already HUGELY popular. How many of MK:DA's brand new characters were HUGELY popular right out of the gate? How many of MK:D's? Every game in the 3D era combined didn't have as much of an impact with its new characters as MKX alone has had. And with your single-minded focus on Liu Kang, Kitana, and Kung Lao, you're failing to give MKX credit for any of that success.

No.
I came in here pointing out certain flaws that I saw in story mode, and those things which I was unhappy with.
Constructive criticism which could make the story better, imo, but it's not my fault that you can't take constructive criticism.

I'm not disagree with that, but last time I checked I'm allowed to voice my opinion on said flaws.

Again, not disagreeing with you there.

That I don't agree with.
Every game in the 3D era didn't have as much impact with it's new characters as MKX does?
Really?
Then please tell me why Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi and Tanya are in MKX if those characters didn't have as much impact in that era?
Not to mention the HUGE amount of requests that people have had for Fujin and Reiko on Twitter.
Havik is also very popular among the fanbase, but sure ignore that just because he isn't on the roster in MKX.
That's 7 characters that have a HUGE impact in MK, according to the fans.
That this game has given us 8 awesome characters, in 1 game, I can't argue with you there.
To say that "every game in the 3D era combined didn't have as much of an impact with its new characters as MKX alone has had," though, is a bullshit statement.
Baraka, Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax and Sektor are also popular and they're also not in MKX.

It's not story development, it's bad-ass development. In Frost's first outing, she froze herself nearly to death. In Erron Black's first outing, he held his own against the protagonist of the game, who went on to beat the shit out of Final Form Shinnok.

Lol, why would I ignore it? It's a great scene. It makes Torr seem genuinely threatening, as do his scenes in the Dead Forest when he just throws Takeda around like a rag doll. It has next to zero story development, but it makes the character look cool, and that's not nothing.

But you're the one who came into this thread saying "Unfortunately, it seems like long gone are the days like in the MK:DA thru MK9 games where main roster characters = characters that held the most story importance."

I didn't come into this thread saying "MKX is perfect." If I had, I'd be just as wrong as you are, but I didn't.

I'm debating story development, though, which is exactly what the title of this thread is about.
The point still remains that we don't know much about Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, which are new characters?
To me, that feels like bad character development.

You ignored the fact that I said that Ferra / Torr doesn't have much character development (which is true) and just skipped straight ahead to Erron Black (who also doesn't have much story development.

Yeah, I said that because I feel like Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr didn't get much, if any, story development in MKX.
I'm sorry, but, Liu Kang and Kitana being NetherRealm rulers in the final end credits is about the ONLY development that those 2 characters got since they died in MK9.
Throughout the rest of MKX, they were pretty much a non-factor and had the same role as any of Quan Chi's other lackeys.
Just the same way that Reptile, Kano and any of Shao Kahn's other minions didn't have much development in MK9, I felt the same way about Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr.
The later 2 of which is a shame, because this is a NEW MK game, with the perfect opportunity to flesh out the new guys.
I know that every MK game needs lackeys, but come on....
These guys are a blank slate, and yet their story is treated terribly.

The least important characters in MK9, like Reptile, Baraka, and Sheeva, accomplished literally nothing in the story. They did not appear cool or threatening for one second. In fact, Johnny Cage turned them into jokes immediately after beating them in the first chapter. Compared to them, MKX's Reptile (who got a tiny but very important plot role in the flashback, a QTE that makes him look like a boss if you fail the inputs, and some straight-up Reptilian moves in the Dead Woods cinematics), Erron Black (who has tons of dialogue, two characterizing scenes with Kung Jin, a bad ass moment fighting mooks and almost finishing off Rain in chapter 2, and a bad ass moment fighting Cassie in chapter 4), and Ferra/Torr (with their great QTE sequence which makes them boss-like even if you win the inputs, and their domination of Takeda in the Dead Forest) look like masterstrokes of character design. They still suck, of course, but they suck a lot less. Context is everything.

Agreed, but as I just mentioned, Erron and Ferra / Torr are completely new characters.
NRS did a hell of a job fleshing out Cassie, Kung Jin, Jacqui, Takeda and D'Vorah, but at the same token they forgot about Erron Black and Ferra / Torr and Kotal Kahn (imo) could have used a bit more improvement.
Again, I'm not debating how badass Erron and Ferra / Torr are.
I AM debating however that those 2 have little to no story / background development in MKX, and it sucks given that they are new characters.

Imperatrix Sindel

Hence, you're only further proving my point in that Liu, Kitana and Kung Lao are in, despite them not really having that much presence in MKX.
1 ending scene that is a cliff-hanger isn't enough to warrant a character on the main roster, but if Kitana isn't on the main roster, then people like you and OSU16Bit cry foul and complain, and thus it's because of people like you that the same old tired and plot-less characters are on the roster and NRS doesn't progress in new characters as much as it should.

Surely you must understand the irony of saying this about Kitana of all characters while campaigning relentlessly for the return of Noob Saibot.

Tanyas Husband

^
Adding my 2 cents,
I personally think that we should always have people in the story who have a plot more than fan favorites.
For example,
As opposed to Kung Lao, I would have liked Bo Rai Cho
As opposed to Liu kang, I would have liked Sindel
As opposed to Kitana, I would .. well I like Kitana, but someone like Li Mei deserves the spot a lot more.
Anyway, you get my drift. A lot of characters were only added as fan favorites. I think nobody should be complaining because we'll never get what we want exactly unless we start a petition and get 5,000 signs, like somebody I know. :rolleyes:

Commander

Surely you must understand the irony of saying this about Kitana of all characters while campaigning relentlessly for the return of Noob Saibot.

Campaigning relentlessly for the return of Noob Saibot? :laugh:

No.
You clearly misunderstood me.
I don't give 2 shits for Noob Saibot in reality, but I DO care for Bi-Han.
I'll I was merely hoping for was for some closure / finality on what happened with Bi-Han / Noob Saibot, at the end of MK9.
We were left at the end of MK9 with not knowing what happened to him, whether he's actually dead or alive.
It wouldn't be the 1st time that a wraith survived being in a Soulnado in MK lore.
*Cough*Scorpion*Cough*

Tarkatan Trash

Your last reply implied to ignoring the comic, which is why I replied like I did.

Do NOT put words in my mouth or twist my words.
I NEVER said that Ferra / Torr was a nobody.
I specifically said that we didn't know enough about them, yet they are on the main roster.
Same goes for Erron Black.
We hardly know anything about him, yet he's on the main roster.

I don't expect characters like Sheeva, Goro, Kintaro or Baraka to be on the main roster, but at least we know what the hell happened to Baraka and he got a cameo death.
I wouldn't mind the same for Kintaro, Sheeva and Goro.
How hard would it have been for them to do a quick cameo like they did for Nightwolf for Sheeva, Cyrax, Noob Saibot, Jade, Goro and Kintaro???
I never said to put Stryker in as playable, but there you go again, twisting my words. :roll:
I said that Sindel, Stryker, Nightwolf, Kabal and Smoke could have done the same thing that Liu Kang, Kitana and Kung Lao did in MKX (which was essentially nothing), and the outcome would have been the same.
Yeah, I do see those 3 as wasted roster slots, especially since they didn't come back to life.
1 of those slots which could have gone to an awesome character like Fujin.

You're right tough, we'll never see eye to eye.
Because I actually want to see progression in BOTH the story and the roster, where as you only care about those popular characters taking up roster space, despite it meaning screwing up the lore and the creative writing process.
MK9 had a hell of a story, probably the best story that Midway / NRS has written to date, which actually made people take notice and for once not think of MK as a laughing stock game.
You want to piss all of that away, though, in favor of 3 characters?
Why can't they stay dead for 1 game and have them come back in MK11?
Oh, because people will cry if they're not it.
Got it.

It doesn't matter to you, but there are those of us out there who don't want to see the MK series going back down the route of becoming another Armageddon.
That's what it will become if everyone is always only demanding that only their favorites be back.
It's what happened in the original timeline.
People demanded that only their favorites return and we got stuck with a half-assed, rush-job that was Armageddon, with 60+ characters, generic Kreate-A-Fatality, 2-legged Motaro and an overall sloppy MK game, in general.
If that's the road that you want MK to go down again, then yeah, I guess that we will never see eye to eye.
Excuse me for wanting characters like Erron Black and Ferra / Torr to be explained better and fleshed out better than just some half-assed cinematic pre-fight intro scenes and a "what if" non-canon ending.

No, it didn't.
Reptile felt as useless to me in MKX as he did in MK9.
The only 1 that didn't feel like THAT much of a lackey to me was Ermac, and even still all he did was follow Kotal around.
Erron Black had 2 or 3 lines in story and that's it.
Such huge potential that NRS had for him and they let it go.
I feel like the comics did a better job of fleshing out Erron double -crossing and helping Kano (which still tells us nothing of his back-story), which speaks volumes about how Vogel failed to properly flesh out the character.
I had SUCH high hopes for awesome character development with Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, but nope.
Much about those 2 are still unknown, sadly. :(

Again, you missed my point.
My point wasn't to point out how awesome Frost was, but rather to show how ridiculous using non-canon endings can be.
Sub-Zero's MKX ending essentially turned him into Daenerys Targaryen from Game Of Thrones.
Do you also think that that is canon?
Also again, I never said that Erron was a wasted roster space, but he sure as hell could have been fleshed out better and his story could use A LOT of improvement.

We don't know if Erron's ending was partially canon or not.
There you go assuming again.
If part of it is a non-canon "what if," then the whole thing is a non-canon "what if."
You can't just cherry-pick which parts you think are canon.
Unless NRS otherwise states it in the next game, ALL individual character endings in a previous MK game are non-canon, for the time being.

Johnny's ending is a perfect example of ridiculous endings, which further proves my point that all individual character endings are glorified "what if" scenarios, until proven otherwise.

No.
I came in here pointing out certain flaws that I saw in story mode, and those things which I was unhappy with.
Constructive criticism which could make the story better, imo, but it's not my fault that you can't take constructive criticism.

I'm not disagree with that, but last time I checked I'm allowed to voice my opinion on said flaws.

Again, not disagreeing with you there.

That I don't agree with.
Every game in the 3D era didn't have as much impact with it's new characters as MKX does?
Really?
Then please tell me why Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi and Tanya are in MKX if those characters didn't have as much impact in that era?
Not to mention the HUGE amount of requests that people have had for Fujin and Reiko on Twitter.
Havik is also very popular among the fanbase, but sure ignore that just because he isn't on the roster in MKX.
That's 7 characters that have a HUGE impact in MK, according to the fans.
That this game has given us 8 awesome characters, in 1 game, I can't argue with you there.
To say that "every game in the 3D era combined didn't have as much of an impact with its new characters as MKX alone has had," though, is a bullshit statement.
Baraka, Smoke, Kabal, Cyrax and Sektor are also popular and they're also not in MKX.

I'm debating story development, though, which is exactly what the title of this thread is about.
The point still remains that we don't know much about Erron Black and Ferra / Torr, which are new characters?
To me, that feels like bad character development.

You ignored the fact that I said that Ferra / Torr doesn't have much character development (which is true) and just skipped straight ahead to Erron Black (who also doesn't have much story development.

Yeah, I said that because I feel like Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr didn't get much, if any, story development in MKX.
I'm sorry, but, Liu Kang and Kitana being NetherRealm rulers in the final end credits is about the ONLY development that those 2 characters got since they died in MK9.
Throughout the rest of MKX, they were pretty much a non-factor and had the same role as any of Quan Chi's other lackeys.
Just the same way that Reptile, Kano and any of Shao Kahn's other minions didn't have much development in MK9, I felt the same way about Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Erron Black and Ferra / Torr.
The later 2 of which is a shame, because this is a NEW MK game, with the perfect opportunity to flesh out the new guys.
I know that every MK game needs lackeys, but come on....
These guys are a blank slate, and yet their story is treated terribly.

I value gameplay more than I value the plot. I can't help it if I like using the Fan Throw against airborne opponents to set up and/or continue juggles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Commander

I value gameplay more than I value the plot. I can't help it if I like using the Fan Throw against airborne opponents to set up and/or continue juggles.

I value both story and gameplay equally, but I wouldn't care so much about the former and it not making sense in context IF they actually gave her character development.
Enjoy your stale and under-developed character, though. ;)
This specific thread is to discuss any disappointment with the story, and I'm doing just that.

If you have nothing to add to the topic at hand, then please don't derail the thread.

Nethervestige

Campaigning relentlessly for the return of Noob Saibot? :laugh:

No.
You clearly misunderstood me.

What's going on here [MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]? There was no need to regress to this rude, passive-aggressive attitude. You have some constructive criticism for the MKX story and that's what we're here for, but it's a let down to return to this thread only to see you prosecuting your case with such arrogance.

Do you feel as though you're under attack because more than one person has disagreed with you? Well, that scenario does not a conspiracy make. There's no need to get hostile and condescend to others as though they are CLEARLY misunderstanding/ignoring your points/putting words in your mouth or any other excuse I see up there.

Some of the debate that goes on in this forum is just good fun; sparring between passionate fans. Some of it though, like this^ up here, becomes circuitous and toxic.

I don't think they're trying to make you look a fool. They simply don't agree with your views and have given their reasons. Most of us are passionate fans like yourself Commander, so give our views the same respect you want for your own instead of insisting that they're based on misunderstandings.

Give other users a bit of credit. Rephrasing your points and giving different aspects of them more or less emphasis than before is a poor strategy for defending them. Before long you will have retreated from every battle until you are surrounded on all sides with no high ground left to turn to.

Guyver Spawn

I was always confuse if Shinnok's amulet in the story is the real one or the fake one created by Quan Chi? I thought Shinnok at full power with the amulet was going to be stronger then Shao Kahn? I remember in the original timeline that they mention that Shinnok at full power could destroy the whole universe. Yet he gets beaten by Cassie Cage with no proper build up to her powers. Either Cassie is at Shao Kahn level now or Shinnok is weak as crap. MK is terrible when it comes to suffering PIS (Plot Induced Stupidity). Even in MK9, Styker's fight with Ermac was total PIS to me.

Commander

What's going on here [MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]? There was no need to regress to this rude, passive-aggressive attitude. You have some constructive criticism for the MKX story and that's what we're here for, but it's a let down to return to this thread only to see you prosecuting your case with such arrogance.

Do you feel as though you're under attack because more than one person has disagreed with you? Well, that scenario does not a conspiracy make. There's no need to get hostile and condescend to others as though they are CLEARLY misunderstanding/ignoring your points/putting words in your mouth or any other excuse I see up there.

Some of the debate that goes on in this forum is just good fun; sparring between passionate fans. Some of it though, like this^ up here, becomes circuitous and toxic.

I don't think they're trying to make you look a fool. They simply don't agree with your views and have given their reasons. Most of us are passionate fans like yourself Commander, so give our views the same respect you want for your own instead of insisting that they're based on misunderstandings.

Give other users a bit of credit. Rephrasing your points and giving different aspects of them more or less emphasis than before is a poor strategy for defending them. Before long you will have retreated from every battle until you are surrounded on all sides with no high ground left to turn to.

I get "passive-aggressive" and "rude" when people reply to me with such snide and sarcastic remarks.
I've said it once and I'll say it again.
Treat me like an ass and expect to get treated the same way.
I very much value the golden rule.
Do you ever notice how there's people who I NEVER get into these kinds of heated debates with, such as yourself and Taj Gill?

Again, when I do get hostile it's because I feel that people twist my words.
Some people don't do this and to those people I reply in kind, but when someone starts twisting my words and ill-interpreting what I said, then yeah, I find that to be rude and uncalled for.
Instead of assuming and trying to make me look bad, why don't said individuals just ASK ME what I meant by something, instead of trying to put words in my mouth?
I likely wouldn't be as hostile and I have no issue with asking me a question about something that they are unclear that I was referring to.
I'd be more than glad to clarify if someone asked, rather than assumed.
Do you see the difference?

It becomes circuitous and toxic when I have to explain and correct something that people take out of context, in order to cherry-pick statements for their debate to make me out to be the bad guy.
Yes, it's tiring an annoying.

No.
There are some people out in these forums who I can disagree with and I can have debates with, and there are others who DO like to make me look a fool.
I give respect to certain others in certain debates and have even conceded to being wrong when I am wrong on something, but I do not appreciate being misinterpreted and having words put in my mouth, then quoted by such misinterpretation and met with hostility.
Again, don't be hostile with me and I won't be hostile with you.
Simple.

I give other users credit when they give me credit, but unfortunately I can't even come into these forums and say "I like the color green" without someone trying to deflate that, or piss on my parade or say to the contrary while also putting down my opinion.
When people start respecting my opinions and points on certain matters, then I will do the same in kind.
What you see is a reflection of how I've been treated by said users.
Just out of curiosity, why feel the need to just single me out and not the others on the other side of the debate?

Dedamn666

Story mode wasn't very good this time. I really enjoyed MK9's but the formula is tired. Really didn't like the coming of age thing and having Shinnok get beat then get beat again. I feel they dropped the ball with Liu Kang after revenge on Raiden.

Eng_86

Ever since the Midway/NRS team put an RPG type of Konquest mode back in MKD and MKA. I've been more interested in the MK story than the game-play of the game. This why I think good number of the 3-D characters were more interesting than a good number of the MK Trilogy crew due to their roles in the story.

IMHO,

I thought the MKX story was ok. It focused on the four new heroes, the new ruler of Outworld and a double agent. The QTE events were good, loved the NPC fights. I hope the NRS team adds a few more QTE and NPC for the NPC fights in their next game be it Injustice 2 or MK11/III.

However,

I'm a disappointed with the fact that Kung Lao, Kitana, and Liu Kang didn't offer anything to the story other than blaming Raiden for their death's and slaves to Quan Chi and Shinnok. I understand why those three were included into the main roster (tournament faves like Kung Lao and Kitana as well as everyone's favourite Shaolin Monk). Those three took away spots from three other characters be it from MK4-MKA or new never been seen before characters. They could've just been NPC fights in the story and DLC later on.

Another thing I didn't like about the story mode was that it was a bit short. The NRS team should either add more dialogue, more fights, more chapters or a mix of three for their next game.

Last edited:

Commander

IMHO,

I thought the MKX story was ok. It focused on the four new heroes, the new ruler of Outworld and a double agent. The QTE events were good, loved the NPC fights. I hope the NRS team adds a few more QTE and NPC for the NPC fights in their next game be it Injustice 2 or MK11/III.

However,

I'm a disappointed with the fact that Kung Lao, Kitana, and Liu Kang didn't offer anything to the story other than blaming Raiden for their death's and slaves to Quan Chi and Shinnok. I understand why those three were included into the main roster (tournament faves like Kung Lao and Kitana as well as everyone's favourite Shaolin Monk). Those three took away spots from three other characters be it from MK4-MKA or new never been seen before characters. They could've just been NPC fights in the story and DLC later on.

Another thing I didn't like about the story mode was that it was a bit short. The NRS team should either add more dialogue, more fights, more chapters or a mix of three for their next game.

This is essentially what I was trying to get at, but if I say it then some people suddenly go against me and try to either twist my words or put words in my mouth.
Anyways, thank you, good sir. :top: