Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussion Media Thread

Yeah, writing is stupid. Majority doesn't seen to mind these things though.

I notice them a lot too, like you do.

They've had 2 hours of cutscenes to cram in the entire plot of MK1-3.

Exactly how long do you wanted Kitana's character to develop in order to make sense betraying her father? Honest question.

It makes as sense as seeing two main characters fall in love and willing to do anything for each other in a 150 minute Hollywood movie.

Atleast in the context of MK9, Kitana's betrayal of her father made sense, since she didn't really do the entire good guy heel turn until she discovered the whole mileena clone thing and Shao literally told her how he has been lying to her for her entire life, and then set her up to be executed.

It's based on the same psychological behavior as when you label something "the forbidden fruit" and then you say that someone can't have it.
What you end up doing is making them want it even more, although they might not have even wanted it to begin with.
Hence, Stryker now in MK11.
Why wasn't there thus sudden wave of people asking for him in MKX?
Probably because MKX had all of the playable roster from MK1, MKII and a few MK3 characters (minus Shang Tsung) and they didn't care or notice as much.
Mileena, Reptile, human Smoke, Rain and Ermac are de-confirmed in-game via Kitana or Shang Tsung for MK11, though, so people jump to the next available characters: Sheeva and Stryker from MK3.

Sheeva has a good chance of being in, along with Fujin and Ash Williams.
Those 3 were data mined about a month after the game came out.

Cassie Cage is Stryker, but better in every feasible way IMO.

I still want my Taven/Daegon legacy skins. I want my Edenian Lore... or atleast give Ermac a Jerrod skin.

That's the problem with writers using insane age numbers and not realizing the weight behind that. Can the person still be cheerful and act like a kid 10.000 years later? Probably. But it wouldn't change the fact that they have insane amount of experience/wisdom.

So, when I saw Kitana being tossed like a kid by Liu Kang in MK9, I was cringing, knowing that one of them has served under Shao Kahn for 10k years while being trained in Assassination art.
Speaking of which. Kitana betrayed her "father" pretty quickly, for someone who spent 10k years with him. You would think that growing up under Shao Kahn for such a long period of time, she would inherit a lot of Outworld's culture and would be a stone cold killer. Instead, you get a child like Princess, that hasn't figure out her place in the world and jumped the ship, cause the people she has known for less than a week, told her that the individual she spent 10k years with is bad.

If there was any actual REALISTIC character development (as mentioned before by certain someone), then Kitana would literally just shit on Liu Kang and mock him for saying shit about her father.

Overall, they don't even know how to simulate an ancient character.

Well, Goro was defeated by a young Liu Kang in MK1 and Goro is either a few hundred years old or something over a thousand IIRC. That's the thing with a lot of these characters in MK. From what I gather, the only ones who were dedicated martial artists that would train daily are Johnny (with a standard regiment), Liu Kang/Lao/Kai/Jin (with a shaolin regiment) and the warriors of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu (maybe Kenshi as well).

Special Forces like Jax likely just do a monthly PT (and when he was retired he likely has some rust), Sonya/Jacqui likely did PT with some sparring, Cassie definitely only does PT and was only as strong as Shinnok.

Besides that, the Outworlders are just really strong warriors that hone their skills on the battlefield. Kotal ruled during a peace time and had an occasional set of battles (he was also ambushed and imprisoned which means he got a ton of ring rust). Assassins like Reptile, Kitana, and other female ninja are not frontline fighters and it's still stupid Kitana beat Kahn.

Kahn is a strong brute, but is crafty and is powered by souls. He likely trains or his physique is sustained by magic. He used to be a protector like Raiden and was crafty enough to use body doubles, keep track of Reiko wearing his mask and also poison Onaga. So Kahn was the top dog that probably got a lot of ring rust since he had people fighting his own fights.

Sindel is the strongest female because of her proficiency with magic and raw power as well as technique. She likely trained regularly for the worst to come.

Nightwolf is a native dude that lived fast and cleaned himself up, committed himself to improving his fighting capabilities and got a huge buff from the Great Spirit and the title of Nightwolf (for all we know he's inherited a great power like Cassie and his successor will be even tougher because of that). But at bare minimum, he's a dude that's more about being attuned with the spirits and holding his own in a fight to avenge his people against Kano ... than let's say winning the tournament for his realm. Mid-tier lore-wise. Don't even get me started on him "losing to Scorpion". If Scorps felt like it, he would have roasted him alive.

The rest of the thousands of year old characters like gods have no fighting capabilities. They might train in some martial art, but rely mostly on godly power. Geras doesn't even rely on skill, he just relies on having infinite respawns.

The only "god" characters that have actually committed themselves to any training were Taven/Daegon because of them being forced into a quest.

So in that list of characters, the only one to be presented as a man dedicated to fighting man-to-man, hand-to-hand is Liu Kang. Lao is good, if not equal, but the developers decided to shaft him to the lazy, arrogant rival role because they erroneously think people liked Shaolin Monks for the story more than it was because of the awesome gameplay.

I wouldn't be surprise if they did put Sheeva. Sheeva is ugly as well lol, she is just a female version of Goro. I use to play with her in MK trilogy and i would always jump on the rest of the characters lol. Not really my taste for a female character but she is a part of the MK franchise so i would not be surprised.

Sheeva is a thicc queen. Play MK Armageddon and you will love her musculature.

That's a decent question for y'all. Would you guys like to see King Jerrod make a comeback since we have all of this time travel going on. If the story expansion gets a good response, there's a possibility they might do another one. I'm down for seeing prime Jerrod with some gnarly fantasy king gameplay.

They've had 2 hours of cutscenes to cram in the entire plot of MK1-3.

Exactly how long do you wanted Kitana's character to develop in order to make sense betraying her father? Honest question.

It makes as sense as seeing two main characters fall in love and willing to do anything for each other in a 150 minute Hollywood movie.

To be honest, if I was the one writing (shameless amateur fan-fic plug)
I would make Shao Kahn, not a dumb evil, 1 dimensional brute, but more of the person who believes that Might is Right. If he were to keep Kitana for 10.000 years, raise her, then I imagine he would instill his values and thinking. And so for 10.000 years Kitana would be raised according to Outworld rules. So if Kitana were to meet Liu Kang, she wouldn't fall for him, but find him and his people fascinating, as they would introduce new concepts for her, but just because of that she wouldn't betray her "father". Not after 10.000 years.

I think she would try to balance it between following her "father's" will and attempting to avoid invading Earthrealm. Which would lead to a lot of complicated decisions.

But her betraying Shao Kahn, cause she met Liu Kang/Raiden or saw Mileena? Or hell. Even if Shao Kahn told her that he isn't the real father and he killed her real father 10.000 years ago. You really think that she would start crying and rush off to Earthrealm defenders?
Hell Kitana's MK11 ending goes against her decisions in MK9. She restores Edenia, but then reveals that for her that world is alien. So why in the hell she would care what happened to her father, she never knew? If she was raised for 10.000 under the idea of "Might is right", then she would treat that as something that was natural. Not suddenly develop humanity's values and be horrified. That's not how it works. And funny thing, I am saying this from my experience.

I was told about my real father only when I was like 14. Zero s given. I was raised in rougher part of Eastern Europe, so things like that didn't faze me much, but another kid would react differently if raised in a different environment. Some would cry, some would feel betrayed, some would get excited, etc.

So yeah. LOGICALLY if we were to assume that Kitana was raised by Shao Kahn since she was a baby and she grew up in Outworld, while being taught in Art of Assassination, then her betraying Shao Kahn would have been the least likely thing to happen.

But overall to be fair. They didn't plan this "trilogy", as they didn't expect MK9 to do this good. Hence why sequels were made on spot, without any care for consistency.

Last edited:
To be honest, if I was the one writing (shameless amateur fan-fic plug)
I would make Shao Kahn, not a dumb evil, 1 dimensional brute, but more of the person who believes that Might is Right. If he were to keep Kitana for 10.000 years, raise her, then I imagine he would instill his values and thinking. And so for 10.000 years Kitana would be raised according to Outworld rules. So if Kitana were to meet Liu Kang, she wouldn't fall for him, but find him and his people fascinating, as they would introduce new concepts for her, but just because of that she wouldn't betray her "father". Not after 10.000 years.

I think she would try to balance it between following her "father's" will and attempting to avoid invading Earthrealm. Which would lead to a lot of complicated decisions.

But her betraying Shao Kahn, cause she met Liu Kang/Raiden or saw Mileena? Or hell. Even if Shao Kahn told her that he isn't the real father and he killed her real father 10.000 years ago. You really think that she would start crying and rush off to Earthrealm defenders?
Hell Kitana's MK11 ending goes against her decisions in MK9. She restores Edenia, but then reveals that for her that world is alien. So why in the hell she would care what happened to her father, she never knew? If she was raised for 10.000 under the idea of "Might is right", then she would treat that as something that was natural. Not suddenly develop humanity's values and be horrified. That's not how it works. And funny thing, I am saying this from my experience.

I was told about my real father only when I was like 14. Zero s given. I was raised in rougher part of Eastern Europe, so things like that didn't faze me much, but another kid would react differently if raised in a different environment. Some would cry, some would feel betrayed, some would get excited, etc.

So yeah. LOGICALLY if we were to assume that Kitana was raised by Shao Kahn since she was a baby and she grew up in Outworld, while being taught in Art of Assassination, then her betraying Shao Kahn would have been the least likely thing to happen.

But overall to be fair. They didn't plan this "trilogy", as they didn't expect MK9 to do this good. Hence why sequels were made on spot, without any care for consistency.

I'm not arguing whether or not Kitana betraying Shao Kahn based on her age is good writing.

I'm arguing that it is unfeasible to do so in a realistic way when you have a 2-hr limit to re-write the events of the trilogy which contain a cast of about 20 characters. It has to be done quickly, especially when she's not the focus of the MK story events altogether.

To be frank, I was surprised she received the amount of attention she did in MK9, considering the events the story mode had to cover over such a short amount of viewing time.

And judging by the leak above. The story won't be going anywhere impressive anyway.

I actually think it's slightly more exciting than the main story. The only problem is that the ending makes it sound like it's still going to be exactly the same result: Liu hitting the reset button. Now he simply has a fail-safe....

Come to think of it, didn't Jax with his Woke ending state that he screwed up multiple times before getting the desired outcome? Why can't Liu Kang do the same then :/

Apparently they axed Ashrah as well. But at least there's Robocop...wooooahhhh....Twitter trended for a day! Havik however...best MKD character.

If there was any actual REALISTIC character development (as mentioned before by certain someone), then Kitana would literally just shit on Liu Kang and mock him for saying shit about her father.

The thing with this is that Liu Kang is "the chosen one". Yes, it's cliche but then again that's what MK was about before it went all "serious realisms". Kung Lao was also the direct descendant of the Great Kung Lao, the one who owned Goro, so if they wanted they could easily explain why Liu Kang is basically the top fighter. After all, he's the only one who could whip Shao Kahn in a 1v1 fight with no outside help.

...Which of course now doesn't matter since Kitana just made a fool out of him without breaking a sweat. :lol: From getting kicked in the ass by Liu, to kicking Shao Kahn's ass. Next logical conclusion is that Jade would also stomp Shao D. Trump, considering she had no issues owning Kotal Kuck...after saving his pitiful ass from a certain death....and telling him what to do later on... :rofl:

I actually didn't have an issue with how MK9 Kitana was portrayed, thought it was pretty good. But now with MK11 the only question I have: "why doesn't she just kill off that loser the second he reveals he isn't her daddy?".

I'm not arguing whether or not Kitana betraying Shao Kahn based on her age is good writing.

I'm arguing that it is unfeasible to do so in a realistic way when you have a 2-hr limit to re-write the events of the trilogy which contain a cast of about 20 characters. It has to be done quickly, especially when she's not the focus of the MK story events altogether.

To be frank, I was surprised she received the amount of attention she did in MK9, considering the events the story mode had to cover over such a short amount of viewing time.

I was half asleep while writing earlier, so I expanded too much. Basically what I was saying, is that they didn't even need to make Kitana betray Shao Kahn. As in completely. So you can easily fit her tiny turmoil in that 2h session and keep it consistent with her background.

But once again, like I mentioned before, they didn't expect to make a sequel, so they just crammed everything into 2h cinematic story.
When it comes to creating a story/expanding the world, this 2-4h hour cinematic format thing sucks.

Gods, I miss Konquest mode.

Konquest mode would be dope, especially if it was like MKA beat'em up style, but unfortunately MK9 kinda set the standard of how a majority of people want MK and pretty all other FG stories to be told nowadays (look at SFV's story mode dlc). Would cool if in future titles they came up with some sort of fusion of the two.

Was this ever stated by the devs? Because MK9 literally ends with the Shinnok cliffhanger.

Can't find the source right now as it was long time ago (I just passed through that article), but I do remember seeing the mention that NRS devs went all out, due uncertain future.

Apparently legit, but source who verified this to me didn't want to be associated with this leak.

View attachment 9981

If this has any truth to it I'll be happy as shit for Reiko and Sareena, but I also suspect that if it's true you'll have TONS of pissed off people who bought the MK11 Aftermath Edition at $60, only to be told there's more DLC down the line.

If this has any truth to it I'll be happy as shit for Reiko and Sareena, but I also suspect that if it's true you'll have TONS of pissed off people who bought the MK11 Aftermath Edition at $60, only to be told there's more DLC down the line.

Yeah, WB is determined to milk diehard fans like me. Don't really care as long as the content keeps flowing. I love this game and I have no problem supporting it.

Oh, there are tons of people that are pissed. Especially those that bought Premium Edition. Be it Reddit or Steam Discussions. People are flipping out. Can't blame them.

Oh, there are tons of people that are pissed. Especially those that bought Premium Edition. Be it Reddit or Steam Discussions. People are flipping out. Can't blame them.

I get that, but the point I was alluding to is "How many more new people will be pissed at getting a a game that's marketed as the final version for $60, only for that not to be the case and for there to be more DLC down the line?"

It seems pretty clear, imo, that Aftermath is being marketed as a final edition of the game with (1) additional stages (just like MKX), (2) additional stage Fatalities (just like MKX), (3) $60 price for people buying it brand new, (4) a name change from "Mortal Kombat 11" to then "Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath" on May 26th just the same as with MKX / XL and lastly (5) they are releasing a physical copy of Aftermath.
The MK11 website is even labeling it as a "Kollection," which tends to imply all of the things in that 1 group, like how the Arcade Kollection also implied MK1, MKI and MK3 / UMK3 (as UMK3 is the update to MK3).

EDIT:
The Aftermath Kollection physical copy even has a release date of June 12th on Amazon.
If that's not more proof that this is the final version of the game, then I don't know what is:

https://www.amazon.com/Mortal-KOMBAT-11-Aftermath-Kollection-PlayStation/dp/B08863N9WZ?th=1

Last edited:
I would love to see more DLC, but I can't see NRS and WB making people pay more money for DLC and release another complete edition for $60 when people already bought the Aftermath edition. Unless they plan to do "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath" for the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

I would love to see more DLC, but I can't see NRS and WB making people pay more money for DLC and release another complete edition for $60 when people already bought the Aftermath edition. Unless they plan to do "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath" for the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

If Capcom could do Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, then WB also can do it.

At the end of the day. People will moan and bit%h about it, but in the end? They will still buy it.

Yeah, I could also see them doing it for Aftermath for the PS5 and Xbox Series X, as well, but not for current-gen.
As it is, people nearly had a heart attack, duping themselves into thinking that they couldn't get the characters separately for Aftermath as an "all or nothing" deal (especially when NRS has never done something like that before) just because it wasn't initially sown in the trailer.

As for SF4, SSF4, and SSF4: Arcade Edition, that's Capcom's business model and not necessarily WB's, though.

For as much shit as WB / NRS may get for the story writing (and rightfully so), WB doesn't do that when it comes to their fighters.
As MK9, Injustice, MKX, Injustice 2 and now MK11 have shown, once they come out with an edition of the game that changes the name of that said game to the current edition, they tend to be done with that game as far as content goes.

The proof of that is in the last 4 games.
Their track record has shown that....

MK9 = Komplete Edition
Injustice = Ultimate Edition
MKX = XL
Injustice 2 = Legendary Edition
MK11 = Aftermath

EDIT:
I also had a typo in my previous post, as the physical release date for Aftermath on Amazon is June 16th.