Something about the X "ninjas" I personally like.

I just wanted to open this thread about how we finally got to see every "ninja" (the pallette swaps of before) maskless in X.

I LOVE IT!

I loved Ermac without his mask and Reptile looks good too, but to actually give Scorpion his Hanzo alternate - HANDS DOWN THE COOLEST THING about Scorpion for me - left me speechless. Not to mention we have Kuan Liang too most likely playable with his updated Deadly Alliance costume.

NRS finally made the "ninjas" all very unique more now than ever before.
We also got see a "shirtless" new costume for Rain in the cutscenes (though he does seem to have a "ninja" mask now, whereas before he wore a veil or something in both his Armageddon costume and MK9)...

What do you think about that? :)

I don't like unmasked ninjas.

They were always masked I don't see any reason to change that now, but as long as they have a masked version I don't mind it.

And I stated before that I liked MKA Rain (though MK9 Rain will always be the best Rain ever) but somehow they managed to ruin MKX Rain by making him shirtless, looks stupid IMO.

Last edited:
And I stated before that I liked MKA Rain (though MK9 Rain will always be the best Rain ever) but somehow they managed to ruin MKX Rain by making him shirtless, looks stupid IMO.

Why? He's not even a ninja. There's nothing wrong with him being shirtless.

Oh yes I do know that, if he had his MKA outfit I'd be glad I just don't like the shirtless thing, looks kind of weird to me.

I don't know. I always thought of Rain as this flaunty promiscuous guy. So I guess it makes sense to me. Also, Outworld looks really hot. Can't blame him for going shirtless. :p

I find it quite pathetic how some people, even after MK9 which overhauled every single character and gave them a unique appearance + moveset, vote against 'too many ninja characters' in MKX because 'they hate palette swaps'. having said that, I also gree with cryo, they have always been masked and while I am not against how Ermac has evolved into a Sorcerer look and Reptile in his reptilian one, they all should be masked, at least in their primary outfits. also can't wait for the ninja skin packs we'll get this time around, that 'feudal japan' leak makes me believe we will see unique and new directions for skins now, the cold war and gold scorpion skins are already very different than just classic and in the last trailer the human scorpion and unmasked subzero ones were also amazing and with a lot of detail on them.

also, Rain looks a lot like this now: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/336/4/5/rain_mk_by_letticiamaer-d6wgzj0.jpg , I think that if Rain is playable in this game and since they followed this, plus with that personality of his, they may go on an even harder Vega-like feel to him

I find it quite pathetic how some people, even after MK9 which overhauled every single character and gave them a unique appearance + moveset, vote against 'too many ninja characters' in MKX because 'they hate palette swaps'. having said that, I also gree with cryo, they have always been masked and while I am not against how Ermac has evolved into a Sorcerer look and Reptile in his reptilian one, they all should be masked, at least in their primary outfits.
Keeping them masked keeps them closer to being palette-swaps, though.

Keeping them masked keeps them closer to being palette-swaps, though.

we grew with them like that, we love them like that, they can keep alt. outfits with unmasked thoughts and concepts. plus, even the masks are unique now, no one is similar to each other anymore. and speaking of masks, I'd love if they had a fully human alt for reptile in the game with that mask from MK: Conquest, it seemed so fitting

we grew with them like that, we love them like that, they can keep alt. outfits with unmasked thoughts and concepts. plus, even the masks are unique now, no one is similar to each other anymore. and speaking of masks, I'd love if they had a fully human alt for reptile in the game with that mask from MK: Conquest, it seemed so fitting
Well, I outgrew it and prefer them unmasked. Gives them more personality. But as long as they get both unmasked and masked looks, and everyone is happy, I don't see any reason for anyone to complain.

I find the masks to be appealing. But I also want to see what's under the mask.

That being said, Mortal Kombat wouldn't feel right if there weren't any masked ninja-like characters.

If a character has no need for a mask, then I don't see why they should wear it.

E.g. Ermac. He has no reason to hide his identity, he isn't an assassin or a ninja, he doesn't need a mask.
Kitana is an assassin, so I understand the mask. Sub-Zero is an assassin, so I understand the mask.

But Rain? Is he still an assassin? Well, he snuck up behind Kotal and dropkicked his ass off a building, so he might be. If so, the I understand the mask.

But like Rico, I would also like to see what is under the mask.

If a character has no need for a mask, then I don't see why they should wear it.

E.g. Ermac. He has no reason to hide his identity, he isn't an assassin or a ninja, he doesn't need a mask.
Kitana is an assassin, so I understand the mask. Sub-Zero is an assassin, so I understand the mask.

But Rain? Is he still an assassin? Well, he snuck up behind Kotal and dropkicked his ass off a building, so he might be. If so, the I understand the mask.

Yeah, I don't believe for one second Kotal was thinking "gee, I wonder who this purple guy at Mileena's side with water powers is?"

Sure, it sells the image of an assassin, but they are pretty pointless from a story standpoint. Everyone in the MK universe seems to recognize each other by now.

Yeah, I don't believe for one second Kotal was thinking "gee, I wonder who this purple guy at Mileena's side with water powers is?"

Sure, it sells the image of an assassin, but they are pretty pointless from a story standpoint. Everyone in the MK universe seems to recognize each other by now.

That's another reason why I hate colour-coded characters. Even when being a sneaky assassin, as soon you see what colour he/she is wearing, you know who it is... then the whole point of being an assassin wearing a mask becomes completely meaningless!

But their roots are with the masks. If the root dies, the tree dies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

That's another reason why I hate colour-coded characters. Even when being a sneaky assassin, as soon you see what colour he/she is wearing, you know who it is... then the whole point of being an assassin wearing a mask becomes completely meaningless!
Yeah, I wish they'd do away with the color-coded thing too. It gets boring always seeing Kitana in blue, Scorpion in yellow. But I understand why the devs do it; they want to keep things familiar enough so that people take one glance at the character and instantly know who it is. The problem is that it greatly limits creativity. This is part of the reason why most of my favorites aren't the old "ninjas". But, hey, it could be worse. At least these characters keep getting new costumes, unlike Ryu and Chun-Li.

But their roots are with the masks. If the root dies, the tree dies.
Ermac and Rain aren't trees.