Quan Chi Thread - "You will serve me in the Netherrealm"

i posted this for a fellow member, who found it useful, so i thought i'd put it here.

b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance, Jip,B+3,3mid rune (for damage)
or b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance,Jip,1,1,telestomp ( for reset )
or b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance,Jip,2,1,ex rune,etc ( rune trap)
f1 2 1+2 is good, but it throws them away, i like to keep pressure on.
all of these are good setups for a follow up f+1,2,trance, (then for reset 1,1telestomp, to b+3 1+2 repeat step one!!)
nice loop, got alot of flawlesss with this pattern, you can mix it up too.

rushdown:good
mix up:good
zoning:average
anti-zone:average
Anti-air:average
wake-up: poor
damage:average/good

what do you guys think??

I agree with all of these except rushdown, Quan's is horrible. The rune trap is "free offense" and its pretty much all he's got, though his damage alone is pretty impressive when you land his main juggles.

Fellow Quans better check this out.
Me(Solitude2iz), Underthemayo and Shujinkydink put our heads together to find the perfect way to build meter with Quan. I heavily advise adding this to your game as soon as possible.

oh my god...

this has opened my eyes...

thank you nuthinmuch!!!!
havnt seen anything on quan for ages, just been makin my own stuff up..
but alot of the things he says NOT to do i have been doing lol,
like rune trap or reset after the 1,1 skydrop
but now i know this i might change my tactics.

but getting that b2,1 b2,1, b1,1 trance combo is very hard online..

I agree with all of these except rushdown, Quan's is horrible. The rune trap is "free offense" and its pretty much all he's got, though his damage alone is pretty impressive when you land his main juggles.

yeh? you reckon?? i do ok rushing with him,
that f1,2 low lunge really farks ppl up, and he has good pokes,
not to mention hes the only char who can perform an unblockable move of a blocked string or poke.

mixing up between b3(by itself) and u3+trance is a useful tool

its just a different style of rush to say.. johnny,
more about mixing them up then tricking them into letting go of block

i also prefer to reset with him rather than juggle.

oh my god...

this has opened my eyes...

thank you nuthinmuch!!!!
havnt seen anything on quan for ages, just been makin my own stuff up..
but alot of the things he says NOT to do i have been doing lol,
like rune trap or reset after the 1,1 skydrop
but now i know this i might change my tactics.

but getting that b2,1 b2,1, b1,1 trance combo is very hard online..

There are ways of doing the meter builds without that combo, in fact, many with the resets! I'm going to post versions with the resets as soon as possible on my youtube channel.

I also have a reset that deals over 100% damage guaranteed that requires two bars of meter(opponent can break, but you can use the third meter for ex trance to attempt preventing breaker) I'll be showing that as well.

You see, Mayo feels that reseting by trance, jump punch and following up between b+3 or up+3 into another trance after a slight wait, is too risky. Up+3 is very slow, and because of its poor speed, it does not operate as a 50/50 with b+3 as well as Kung Lao's hat mixups.

Making the resets work depends on how well your opponent can keep up with the two mixups. This is why some are are skeptical, it is logical, but there is nothing wrong with having them in your game.

Reset example: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?10473-New-Reset-!

Last edited:
There are ways of doing the meter builds without that combo, in fact, many with the resets! I'm going to post versions with the resets as soon as possible on my youtube channel.

I also have a reset that deals over 100% damage guaranteed that requires two bars of meter(opponent can break, but you can use the third meter for ex trance to attempt preventing breaker) I'll be showing that as well.

You see, Mayo feels that reseting by trance, jump punch and following up between b+3 or up+3 into another trance after a slight wait, is too risky. Up+3 is very slow, and because of its poor speed, it does not operate as a 50/50 with b+3 as well as Kung Lao's hat mixups.

Making the resets work depends on how well your opponent can keep up with the two mixups. This is why some are are skeptical, it is logical, but there is nothing wrong with having them in your game.

Reset example: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?10473-New-Reset-!

i dont reset like that, with the jump punch pause, ive tryed it but not a fan.
after whatever initial combo into trance i then
prefer 1,1 skydrop,2,1,ex rune, (i might do this rune trap twice if i have the metre as it puts them off guard for the follow up low string)
then the follow up- f1,2 trance(ex if they like to break) , and if they catch on and block low at the end,
the second time i do this sequence i go u+3 trance instead coz they're crouch blocking for the f+1,2
no one has ever been able to read this mix up and hit me out of the u3

the only way out of it is with a breaker, but as you said you can ex trance,

many times i've got to about 70ish % percent before they get out.

and i never said that b+3,u+3 mix up was anywhere near kung laos mixups... lol.

ahhh its so good talking to another quanchilite.. lol

watched/read your reset link, cool stuff, me and my mate figured that jip punch thing awhile ago, but he was able to read it and get out so i dropped it.. never really tryed it online.. might give it a go.

watched/read your reset link, cool stuff, me and my mate figured that jip punch thing awhile ago, but he was able to read it and get out so i dropped it.. never really tryed it online.. might give it a go.

Yea I've felt the same way about it, I have the same issue with the reset, the opponent just has to block low or high depending if you use b+3 or up+3. However, this does actually works some wonders against greater players, I'll explain why.

If I try reset a trance combo after a jump punch on a higher level player, they anticipate both b+3 and up+3, so they block low to high immediately, they hold the block button and tap down so they simply crouch block back into standing block. When its timed correctly, they are likely to get hit by neither of the mixups.

If you want this to work more often, when you jump in for the reset, wait a tad bit longer than you regularly do to input b3,1+2, a higher level opponent is more likely to block in standing position for up+3 and get hit low cuz they don't see b3 the very moment you jump in. I do this every now and then, it works very well, especially online.

I actually rely on f1,2 to reset after I land a rune or skydrop, or up+3 trance when its anticipated, but every now and then I face a couple players who can read and see both coming and punish me badly after blocking. I advise you just 1,1 skydrop, dash, 2,1,2 twice+ two ex runes, dash throw(actually very convinient, works almost every time) or uppercut to play it safe sometimes.

I face top players at psn regularly, in my region, I may be the only Quan player that can keep up with them.

Yea I've felt the same way about it, I have the same issue with the reset, the opponent just has to block low or high depending if you use b+3 or up+3. However, this does actually works some wonders against greater players, I'll explain why.

If I try reset a trance combo after a jump punch on a higher level player, they anticipate both b+3 and up+3, so they block low to high immediately, they hold the block button and tap down so they simply crouch block back into standing block. When its timed correctly, they are likely to get hit by neither of the mixups.

If you want this to work more often, when you jump in for the reset, wait a tad bit longer than you regularly do to input b3,1+2, a higher level opponent is more likely to block in standing position for up+3 and get hit low cuz they don't see b3 the very moment you jump in. I do this every now and then, it works very well, especially online.

I actually rely on f1,2 to reset after I land a rune or skydrop, or up+3 trance when its anticipated, but every now and then I face a couple players who can read and see both coming and punish me badly after blocking. I advise you just 1,1 skydrop, dash, 2,1,2 twice+ two ex runes, dash throw(actually very convinient, works almost every time) or uppercut to play it safe sometimes.

I face top players at psn regularly, in my region, I may be the only Quan player that can keep up with them.

yeh, i like to trance cancel after the f+1,2 mostly,
coz it gets them 80% of the time,
but the problem with that is you cant jip from that close ( unless you are awesome and can time a backwards jip as they're trance walking under you..lol)

not sure but i think the 1+2 after f1,2 is safe on block.. so if they manage to low block the 2, you can drop the trance cancel for 1+2 and not be at a disadvantage,... but they rarely block the low hit.. or it takes them awhile to catch on.. i do play agaisnt some really good players.. but i dont think they've had much practice against a good quan..

man! i went into a koth room yesterday with 4 of the best in australia online and got 8 ina row with quan , ermac, cyrax,sub zero,kenshi,sektor,scorpion,kabal,and shang tsung.. all good players.. all dead.. lol.

i double flawless victoried the shang tsung.. first double i've got online.. just read him really well..
then i got all zero's from the guys.. poor sports..
then a fukkin kung lao smighted me... LOL!!!
(i've only won against a good lao like twice..... grrrrr)
i have trouble with cyber sub too...

i've started using those metre building tips too btw. when i get a trance from a distance, usually after 1,1,2
(dont free trance much but i might start)
i whiff close rune then whiff trance, by then the trance has ended and they just stand there holding block..lol free reset anyone?? lol

ima stop ranting now..lol.

Last edited:
Quick corner combos (probably been posted before though):

11 hits 31% damage
b3, 2+1 b2, 1, 1,1 trance f1, 2, 2+1

9 hits 29% damage
b3, 2+1 B3, 3 trance f1, 2, 2+1

And corner combo with damage buff (Skeleton hand):
11 hits 59% damage
b3, 2+1 b2,1 1,1,trance 2, Xray

nice tab, i got some cool corner combo's too, i'll post later , the main one is 38% no metre,

but what i wanna say is,

have you guy's seen 'under_the_mayo's' latest quan metre math vid on MKU???
should check it out if your into high level quan play/tech.

nice tab, i got some cool corner combo's too, i'll post later , the main one is 38% no metre,

but what i wanna say is,

have you guy's seen 'under_the_mayo's' latest quan metre math vid on MKU???
should check it out if your into high level quan play/tech.

Thanks bro :)
That literally had just came from me being in the lab with Quan for about a half hour.
I hardly EVER use Quan Chi but now I'm seeing some very dope potential in him.
I also like how my bnb's with him are low starters with the b3, 1+2..
Really adds in a good mix

Thanks bro :)
That literally had just came from me being in the lab with Quan for about a half hour.
I hardly EVER use Quan Chi but now I'm seeing some very dope potential in him.
I also like how my bnb's with him are low starters with the b3, 1+2..
Really adds in a good mix

cool man! i've got one of the highest/lowest hit quan xray combo around, (with out the use of damage boost/corner)
although i dont use xrays with him, his metre is EXTREMELY valuable, with rune traps etc..

but anyway, Jip, b2,1 trance, b2,1, 2,1,xray - 50% easy as pie too... but most people wouldnt trance that early, but if you do, you save enough air time to use the xray.

i dont know if you know, but quans trance builds metre TWICE as fast as any other move in the game. more on block!
so try to chuck whiffed trances into your combo,
example, b3,1+2, 1,1,2 trance, whiff trance, b2,1, b2,2, whiff trance

alternatively, once you have metre build, go combo to trance, f2,1 is a great low starter.
but yeh, b3,1+2,1,1,2 (you can use 212 for 1% extra, but you get less time) 1,1,skydrop is a reset with quan at advantage, then you go into rune trap! 2,1,2 ex rune.. if you do the rune trap three times, thats over 60% (39% from 3 blocked rune traps)

you can also get this of a air punch collision!, 60%+ of an anti air punch!

i still claim he is severly underrated, but pro players like under_the_mayo, and shujinkydink are starting to show his true potential.

im ranting now... i'll stop.. lol. i hope someone finds this useful.

Last edited:
i posted this for a fellow member, who found it useful, so i thought i'd put it here.

b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance, Jip,B+3,3mid rune (for damage)
or b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance,Jip,1,1,telestomp ( for reset )
or b+3 1+2, 1 1 2 trance,Jip,2,1,ex rune,etc ( rune trap)
f1 2 1+2 is good, but it throws them away, i like to keep pressure on.
all of these are good setups for a follow up f+1,2,trance, (then for reset 1,1telestomp, to b+3 1+2 repeat step one!!)
nice loop, got alot of flawlesss with this pattern, you can mix it up too.

I'm going to try picking up Quan Chi for a while to see if I like him. Thanks for these. :)

Quick corner combos (probably been posted before though):

11 hits 31% damage
b3, 2+1 b2, 1, 1,1 trance f1, 2, 2+1

I don't like ending with the 2+1 because it gets them out of the corner. I think it's better to end with 1 1 Skull Ball and it does 33% instead of 31%. :)

Last edited:
no worries immortal!

i've kinda improved on my quan since then,

Jip,b2,1 trance, b2,1, 2,1,xray (50%)

Jip,b2,1,b2,1, b1,1 trance jip (to either 11 telestomp reset then runetrap, or damage combo)

f2,1,trance,b2,1, 2,1,4 * mid rune (28%) mid can stop wake ups and adds 1% chip.
or 2,1,2,trance for metre building.

f2,1 trance is one of quans greatest weapons.

and instead of ending b3,1+2 with 112 trance, you can go 212 trance, you get 1% more, but you cant Jip of it... well you can but you have to jump back then forward..
but with the 112 you can chuck in a whiffed trance for extra metre building, and as im sure you know the trance builds ALOT of metre.
upto you.

something new i learnt from mayo, if you have 2 bars of metre, then go 212 runetrap THEN chuck in a sneaky 11, then back to another 212 runetrap, you build just enough metre for a third rune trap! its not safe if they read it, but most likely they'll sit on block.

Thanks Nomad, I'll check those out. Do you or anyone else have the same problem as me? For some reason the EX Rune is extremely hard to do online when it's not a really smooth connection. It's the only special in the game that I have that problem with. I usually try a 2 1 2 EX rune "trap" but some games just a normal rune or a skull comes out. Is there a way to try to overcome this or a better string to have them come out more consistently?

umm i can honestly say i dont have much trouble with it, occassionally i'd get a skull instead,
i'd recommend dropping the 2 from 2,1,2 just go 2,1,exrune, that way if theres any negative edge it'll pick up on the 1, not the 2.
you only lose a tiny bit on chip, and a little metre building,
you could even low poke (d4 ) to rune, just to get em off you and get some space.