Kitana Thread - "You'll Learn Respect!"

Kitana is my second favorite MK character.

1. Stryker/Mileena
2. Kitana
3. Johnny Cage
My mains are Stryker, Mileena, and Johnny Cage. I've loved Kitana in MK game and she was always one of my most used characters. But for some reason I've been too lazy to actually try to learn her in MK9. Should I try to after I master Stryker? Is she really worth it? By the looks of those combos.....wow. That's a lot of damage.

I think you should. You can do pretty good damage with her and the best part is, some of them cannot be broken. She is pretty fun to play as too.

Major props for maining Styker though. You don't see too many Strykers

My rushing, I generally use F+2,1 then I jump back and air fan throw. They usually try to punish that string and the fans catch them off guard.

As for starting with Fan Lift..

Fan Lift, jump k. xx fan, dash, B+2 xx square boost

though I don't know how much it does

I think you should. You can do pretty good damage with her and the best part is, some of them cannot be broken. She is pretty fun to play as too.

Major props for maining Styker though. You don't see too many Strykers

Thanks! I've been liking Stryker since MK3 and I love using underdogs in fighting games.

How about rushing tips using Kitana?

d+1 and it's mixups. d+1, d+1~cutter, d+1~fake out kick, d+1 then throw. Keep them guessing after a blocked d+1.

d+3 and d+4 are good. d+4 gives significant advantage on hit. After it hits do f+2,1 and it'll interrupt almost anything. Make them respect it and block and you can get in and throw. It's just slow and has poor range. d+3 on hit can be poked out of so what you can do is d+3 hits then back up and punish their whiffed d+1 with f+2,1.

b+3,3 or b+3,3~cutter is pretty good if you think they'll duck. Fast mid attack.

b+1,2 can be used for mixups since the second hit is an overhead. b+1~cutter, b+1~fake out kick, b+1~d+4.

when f+2,1 is blocked Kitana is in low negative frames. If she d+1's after their only option to interrupt is their own d+1 or a Kung Lao spin or Reptile dash. You can jump back~air fan if you think they're going to cross you up. f+2~cutter and f+2~fake out kick are options too.

Kitana's problem is that she has limited options if they block low. The f+4 string with the overhead/low 50/50 starts with a slow high so it's only used after a jump in punch. All you can do to break crouch blockers with Kitana is throw and crossup.

About the two kick specials. Pretty Kick is basically useless. It's high and doesn't lead to anything. The cutter makes Pretty Kick redundant. Fake Out Kick and Pretty Kick isn't a good mixup.

From lift I do lift, two dashes, njp, b+2~air fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter or lift, jump kick~air fan, fan, 2~fan, 2~cutter.

I don't think there's a way to do reliable, juicy damage off lift.

d+1 and it's mixups. d+1, d+1~cutter, d+1~fake out kick, d+1 then throw. Keep them guessing after a blocked d+1.

d+3 and d+4 are good. d+4 gives significant advantage on hit. After it hits do f+2,1 and it'll interrupt almost anything. Make them respect it and block and you can get in and throw. It's just slow and has poor range. d+3 on hit can be poked out of so what you can do is d+3 hits then back up and punish their whiffed d+1 with f+2,1.

b+3,3 or b+3,3~cutter is pretty good if you think they'll duck. Fast mid attack.

b+1,2 can be used for mixups since the second hit is an overhead. b+1~cutter, b+1~fake out kick, b+1~d+4.

when f+2,1 is blocked Kitana is in low negative frames. If she d+1's after their only option to interrupt is their own d+1 or a Kung Lao spin or Reptile dash. You can jump back~air fan if you think they're going to cross you up. f+2~cutter and f+2~fake out kick are options too.

Kitana's problem is that she has limited options if they block low. The f+4 string with the overhead/low 50/50 starts with a slow high so it's only used after a jump in punch. All you can do to break crouch blockers with Kitana is throw and crossup.

About the two kick specials. Pretty Kick is basically useless. It's high and doesn't lead to anything. The cutter makes Pretty Kick redundant. Fake Out Kick and Pretty Kick isn't a good mixup.

this is great! Thanks for tips

I cudnt have said it any better myself. d+1 is kitanas best friend and ur opponents enemy. although it does LINK into specials, it DOES NOT combo tho. so d+1 into cutting fan WILL NOT register as a combo and this string can be punished in between the d+1 and special move, although its very hard since the string is fast. I just recently started using ex cutting fan in block strings because it catches a lot of people of guard because of the extra hits. when I'm jumping in, I go for jk into af. if it hits, u can get up to 40% damage. if its blocked, she's left at a frame advantage and can continue pressure. I usually go for uprise since it starts up instantly and most opponent tend to attack after a close range af, but if u don't have meter to spare, d+1 works just fine and u can set up a mixup game from there.

Now with the new dash patch, Kitana will cut her pressure in half. The time to throw an EN fan, cancel into ground, dash to 2+ cutter now take double the time to execute.

Positives are that it is harder for the opponent to get out of the regular 1,1,2,cutter, but the opponent can jump out of 1,1,2,fake out, which is depressing. These same issues are happening with sonya, her military stance into cartwheel can be uppercutted, I don't think it should be in the game.

You can also use (B+1,2) it's not much but it has some range and lets you go in swinging against a turtler.

Just an advise for some Kitanas out there

B+1, Cutting fan repeated makes some pretty good pressure ;)

I cant believe Im saying this but I'm going to drop Kitana for Sonya.. I dont know how to rush with her. I have high damage Combos but I dont know how to rush with her