The King of Fighters XIV

Wait is it me or did the graphics get worse...?

None of the streaming videos are of good quality. If you look at the high-res screenshots, the textures on the clothing are much more noticeable. Skin still lacking texture though. Director Yasuyuki Oda said the game about 70% complete, thus I don't expect an overhaul in graphics anytime soon, especially with 50 characters.

The gameplay seems to flow like the games before it, so that puts my mind at ease.

New trailer, with Robert, Benimaru and K'!

Yay, K'! <3
Also, Benimaru's new outfit is pretty cool. Alot less effeminate this time around and more punk. And I do like my punk. :3

idk i want to get the game but whenever i look at it i kinda just turn away. im sure gameplay wise the game will be good but art style wise im not feeling it, and if im not i know for a fact that its going to be hard to try to get my friends to buy it.

As someone who's never played a KoF game, my only question is why is this one so ugly? :laugh:

Because this is a company who has mainly been doing these games in 2D work and sprites, but because it takes so much time and money to make sprite-work, they are now turning to 3D instead. They are rather new at 3D work, though they have experimented with it in the past, and the main thing they care about is that the gameplay is good.

Also, you have to remember, this is the company who re-used the same old sprites 10 years in a row, maybe with a few updates here and there.

Because this is a company who has mainly been doing these games in 2D work and sprites, but because it takes so much time and money to make sprite-work, they are now turning to 3D instead. They are rather new at 3D work, though they have experimented with it in the past, and the main thing they care about is that the gameplay is good.

Also, you have to remember, this is the company who re-used the same old sprites 10 years in a row, maybe with a few updates here and there.

Damn well they should've stuck with those decade old sprites cus those 3D models are hideous :laugh:

Seriously though that shit looks straight out of a gamecube game.

Damn well they should've stuck with those decade old sprites cus those 3D models are hideous :laugh:

Seriously though that shit looks straight out of a gamecube game.

I'm glad they went past those sprites. Honestly, I never liked the past KOF styled sprites. The new sprites were really beautiful though, but they just don't have the money to pay the artists to keep making those. So I understand their predicament and I am not hating the new 3D style, though yes, it looks outdated.

But being someone who has followed other fighting game franchises which haven't been the prettiest of games... like Mortal Kombat... I can look past that and learned that practise makes perfect, even if it takes some games before they hit the spot. I've also learned that graphics aren't all when it comes to games, though some aesthetic consistency and style are very appreciated. And as for KOFXIV, it looks outdated, but I don't think it looks ugly.

That's just my opinion though. I know that alot of people see graphics as the most important thing when it comes to games, but I can personally find enjoyment in lower quality graphical games, if the game itself is enjoyable. And even when KOF had a sprite-style I wasn't fond of in the past, I still enjoyed the games. And I could see myself enjoy this game as well... even with the current graphics. ^^

This King of Dinosaurs character is pretty sick. Like a Primal Rage variant of Tekken's King

The fact that there hasn't been any beta announced yet is worrisome. I'll probably skip launch day and wait on reviews. I have this strange feeling this game will be delayed or a rushed mess. Only time will tell. The new trailer looks good though ....Please don't suck.

The fact that there hasn't been any beta announced yet is worrisome. I'll probably skip launch day and wait on reviews. I have this strange feeling this game will be delayed or a rushed mess. Only time will tell. The new trailer looks good though ....Please don't suck.

There was a playable version at some convention not long ago with the original 6 characters, I believe. So there's already been a "beta", it's just not an available download for people.

There was a playable version at some convention not long ago with the original 6 characters, I believe. So there's already been a "beta", it's just not an available download for people.

In this day and age there needs to be a online beta for every up comming fighting game, especially a game like kof14 which looks graphically inferior to every other fighting game out on the market. The gameplay looks good but if the online is busted like kof13 than it's dead on arival. A few conventions where only a small number of people get to play the ''beta'' isn't doing them any favors.

In this day and age there needs to be a online beta for every up comming fighting game, especially a game like kof14 which looks graphically inferior to every other fighting game out on the market. The gameplay looks good but if the online is busted like kof13 than it's dead on arival. A few conventions where only a small number of people get to play the ''beta'' isn't doing them any favors.

Maybe they have people coming in and play-testing it. Dunno...

Personal opinion of mine.. This game looks bad. Graphics look hideous, gameplay doesn't look good. Just everything about it looks bad.

This is coming from a guy who has barely any experience with the series.

Personal opinion of mine.. This game looks bad. Graphics look hideous, gameplay doesn't look good. Just everything about it looks bad.

KoF is actually pretty good and has always been fairly ugly IMO

KoF is actually pretty good and has always been fairly ugly IMO

That is true.
KOF has used the same sprites for years, finally updating a few years ago. But it was too expensive and SNK is in a rather bad situation economicly atm, kinda like Capcom, so they had to take a simpler route by going 3D.

The graphics aren't as beautiful as other current fighters, but for each new trailer it is clear that they polish the graphics to look better and better. So hopefully at launch it will have a certain quality that will be on par with games like Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat X and Guilty Gear Xrd. However, if not, it's a shame, but I personally can live with that.

As for the gameplay, this video proves that it is on point and just as tight as the previous games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEnPdDDJz00

So I am absolutely not worried about that at all. Whether you like the gameplay or not is more a matter of taste then, but the quality that was expected from past games stays through KOFXIV as well.

Snk desperately need this game to do well which is why I'm so concerned. Even with the obvious corner cutting in the graphics department for budget reasons I don't see them making any more console games if this sells poorly. They have all the ingredients to make this game great but like I've mentioned before the lack of a beta announcement is not a good sign.

I am a noob when it comes to this series but who is that guy that has Freddy Krueger's gloves and blades ? At least that is what it looks like he has to me.